• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
And also can have some tied to framerate logic problems like in PC version.

I believe this isn't an issue with FPS boost. It's my understanding that the game still runs at its original FPS internally so hard coded things shouldn't have issues. I hope they use this to boost some games that have frame rate issues on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe this isn't an issue with FPS boost. It's my understanding that the game still runs at its original FPS internally so hard coded things shouldn't have issues. I hope they use this to boost some games that have frame rate issues on PC.
Unfortunately no, the games think they're running at their original framerates but the results are the same as a PC version.

This is the reason all the games that have FPS boost so far also have PC versions. The original devs made sure the games didn't have significant issues at higher framerates. For games that targeted consoles at 30fps, there will probably be a lot of bugs at 60fps.

Fingers crossed that some console only games do get an upgrade, but I want to keep my expectations in check.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Overall pretty oke. It drops some frames during some combat, cutscenes and the big town to mid and low 50's. But general traversal etc seems locked.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if was a list of titles that received the boost and whether said boost altered fidelity in any way.

Just sort the list by the "Off by Default" column:

Games Featuring FPS Boost

FPS Boost is a feature employing a variety of new methods for nearly doubling the original framerate on select titles.

CztODj4.png

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Depends on your taste. I personally enjoyed it but couple things to note:

- It's essentially a platformer with sort of pattern matching combat and lots of collectibles/upgrades. A little bit Metroid Prime, a little bit Crackdown... idk. Honestly wouldn't be out of place in the PS2 gen - I don't mean that in a bad way, just that that's the kind of game it is. If chaining a jump, boost dash, and grapple to get to the last collectible on top of that really high platform sounds fun, then you'll probably like it.

- Do not read reviews from release (2016). The definitive edition was released a year later as a free upgrade and basically finished/fixed the game. Also the added dungeons/areas are somewhat more advanced than the original content and kind of show the missed potential.

I had a lot of fun but I don't have any problem enjoying those types of games. If you're looking for a great plot and fantastic combat, probably best to skip.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Just sort the list by the "Off by Default" column:

Games Featuring FPS Boost

FPS Boost is a feature employing a variety of new methods for nearly doubling the original framerate on select titles.

CztODj4.png

Thank you, however, just to seek clarification- is it safe to assume that the titles that do not have the boost on by default are the ones that will suffer drop in IQ (resolution, LoD, texture quality et al) if the boost mode is activated?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, however, just to seek clarification- is it safe to assume that the titles that do not have the boost on by default are the ones that will suffer drop in IQ (resolution, LoD, texture quality et al) if the boost mode is activated?

If it is off by default then there will be a degradation in visual quality if it is enabled. If there's a checkmark in that column then you are going to loose the Xbox One X enhancements when using FPS Boost.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb raider running in its high res mode with the new boost update. It runs decent enough and similar to how TR definitive edition ran on base PS4. VRR will come in handy with this one.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
This is definitely great. I hope Xbox keeps bringing more FPS Boost.

Does this feature still implement 16x anisotropic filtering?

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
This is going to make make double dip many games during sales! This is a great support for current customers and great for preservation.

Oct 30, 2017
How stealth-y is this game? I'm into RPG and sci-fi but not stealth. Can you play Deus Ex like Fallout/Cyberpunk or would you be in for a bad time?
It has a lot of flexibility in playstyle. Stealth will make it slightly easier for you especially if you invest points in hacking and cloaking, but the game doesn't demand you sneak around like Sam FIsher. Plus, you can save scum and learn from your mistakes which is a good way to learn patrol patterns and such.

I highly recommend you try it. It was a severely underappreciated game on release. Both Mankind Divided and Human Revolution are fantastic games.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
How stealth-y is this game? I'm into RPG and sci-fi but not stealth. Can you play Deus Ex like Fallout/Cyberpunk or would you be in for a bad time?

You can choose your own style, stealth, combat or both. The very first mission prompts the player to select stealth or combat, this in return effects your inventory.
It always looked pretty damn good for a 900p game.
I had no idea, completed it around launch on the base PS4.
Looks great. Just picked up the deluxe edition for £6.99 on CDKeys, seems like a bargain!

The version I bought has the season pass, but the season pass is on sale at the moment on the Xbox store digitally for £2.39.

That's a bargain, I really like this game. I've got two copies on PS4 and one on Xbox. Also bought the season pass the other night, can't go wrong with £2.39.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Either my eyes were deceiving me last night or Deus Ex MD looks rather clean for a 900p title:

I've had this reaction to a handful of these games, sort of surprised at how crisp they come across. I don't know if it was just a case of people talking about resolution numbers rather than actual IQ at the time they came out (and absorbing that second-hand), or if there's added benefit to games using TAA at higher framerates that I hadn't "connected the dots" about. I dunno, either way, most of these games are looking nice.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I've had this reaction to a handful of these games, sort of surprised at how crisp they come across. I don't know if it was just a case of people talking about resolution numbers rather than actual IQ at the time they came out (and absorbing that second-hand), or if there's added benefit to games using TAA at higher framerates that I hadn't "connected the dots" about. I dunno, either way, most of these games are looking nice.
I think it's a combination of good AA and 60fps. MD in motion just looks better than its 30fps counterpart.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Deus Ex doesn't have a One X version? I'm sure it had a PS4 Pro one but it may have been caught in this year-long limbo between the two consoles.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
There is too much game to play on this Box... FPSboost games , gamepass , new releases like RE Village... where we can buy time?!

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
Deus Ex doesn't have a One X version? I'm sure it had a PS4 Pro one but it may have been caught in this year-long limbo between the two consoles.

Like Mass Effect: Andromeda, Deus Ex had a marketing deal with Sony. So both got Pro patches, but nothing ever made it to the One X. They also underperformed, so my guess is it wasn't worth the money to patch them. Deus Ex did get HDR on Xbox tho. So.. that's something, I guess.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Mass Effect: Andromeda, Deus Ex had a marketing deal with Sony. So both got Pro patches, but nothing ever made it to the One X. They also underperformed, so my guess is it wasn't worth the money to patch them. Deus Ex did get HDR on Xbox tho. So.. that's something, I guess.
Mass Effect: Andromeda got a patch one One X and runs at 1800p if I recall correctly.

And I don't think it had anything to do with marketing; moreso that both titles came out way before the One X came out.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect: Andromeda eventually received a X enhancement patch.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Andromeda is definitely 1X enhanced, though I think that was a post-launch update. Games that had Pro support but not 1X support were pretty much universally just a factor of when they released (or how far they were in development relative to the 1X launch), not terms of any marketing deals.