• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Oscars: Eight Awards Won’t Be Telecast Live This Year (Exclusive)

These awards will be presented inside the Dolby Theatre an hour before the live telecast commences, will be recorded and will then be edited into the subsequent broadcast.

Several of the 23 categories which were presented live on the air during last year's 93rd Oscars telecast will not be presented live on the air during the 94th Oscars telecast on March 27, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

In a move that is already causing tension within the leadership of the Academy, but is likely to be well received by the general public, the presentations and acceptance of eight awards — documentary short, film editing, makeup/hairstyling, original score, production design, animated short, live action short and sound — will take place inside the Dolby Theatre an hour before the live telecast commences, will be recorded and will then be edited into the subsequent live broadcast, a variation of a controversial approach that the Academy first adopted and then abandoned in 2018.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Once again, the Oscars bend over backwards to try and tailor the show to an audience who has no intention of watching them in the first place.

People who actually give a shit don't care if it's a five hour ceremony. Give me every award, and every speech, live. It's the one time these people actually get recognition by the industry.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or they could just split the difference and stream those particular awards live online like on D+ or something, and then have the regular telecast both on D+ and on network TV. But it sounds like they're going with a weird "edit and squeeze it in the main thing later on" sort of deal.

If they can stream the nominations live on D+, there should be no reason they can't stream the whole thing - plus these 'D+ exclusive' or whatever awards - on there too.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
No time for awards in our awards ceremony, we need that time for some terribly unfunny musical number for Amy Schumer.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Once again, the Oscars bend over backwards to try and tailor the show to an audience who has no intention of watching them in the first place.

People who actually give a shit don't care if it's a five hour ceremony. Give me every award, and every speech, live. It's the one time these people actually get recognition by the industry.

Yep. Same way I feel about The Game Awards, I'm genuinely interested in the awards themselves and the people behind them.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Or they could just split the difference and stream those particular awards live online like on D+ or something, and then have the regular telecast both on D+ and on network TV. But it sounds like they're going with a weird "edit and squeeze it in the main thing later on" sort of deal.

If they can stream the nominations live on D+, there should be no reason they can't stream the whole thing - plus these 'D+ exclusive' or whatever awards - on there too.
This is similar to what the Tonys did this year (the technical awards were on a Paramount+ exclusive live pre-show) - and might be a decent compromise.

The problem is you're then asking these people to give their speeches to an empty auditorium, while everyone else is on the red carpet.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Why not just do them during the commercial breaks and edit them in later, and do the show semi-live?

The people complaining that the show is too long aren't watching it anyways, considering the big awards are the last ones given.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the solution is to start cutting categories entirely. I fully support them shortening the runtime but it's not the best way to go about it imo

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017

Exactly this.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay. Editing, production design, and score aren't all that important anyway...

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this sucks and seems directed at just shiting on short films

also editing? that's one of the best and most important awards

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Exactly

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Editing feels particularly egregious. Not to say that the other categories aren't important, but editing is literally the defining aspect of the medium.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Editing feels particularly egregious. Not to say that the other categories aren't important, but editing is literally the defining aspect of the medium.
yep. How insulting.

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
It's 2022, we're in a streaming world and yet there's no simple way to watch the oscars via PPV if you're outside the US because they cling to making deals for the ceremony to be broadcast on paid channels (like here in France, you have to be a Canal+ subscribers). Maybe put it on fucking Disney+ and ask for 10$ if need be, I'm sure that will bring more viewers than whatever the fuck this decision is that's guaranteed to piss off members of the concerned branches and will in all likelihood not bring them a single additional viewer.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
God this is so dumb.

I'm also irritated they won't be televising the Governor awards where they are honoring the following:
Samuel L Jackson
Danny Glover
Liv Ullmann
Elaine May

WE WANT TO SEE THOSE SPEECHES!!

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Inch by inch the games awards will become more like the Oscars while the Oscars will become more like the game awards

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Yeah, that is bullshit.

Getting rid of score is especially weird considering it is one of the few categories where presenting the nominees could easily be turned into a production number. Also it feels weird that original song (a category few care for and nowadays rarely can produce five respectable nominees) will be in the broadcast but the score won't.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Film Editing getting done dirty

I'll be alright with this if Don't Look Up wins the category though, cause WOOOOOOOF

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to think what could get me to watch a award show. Other than the Bet awards they are dry as fuck

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
The Academy needs to quit trying to cater to the mainstream public when it comes to the Oscars. It's a lost battle, people who don't give a fuck aren't going to watch because some categories are cut out of the live announcements.

Just cater to the audience that cares and recognize the people who barely get recognition in the industry. Quit trying to be a spectacle.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
make new categories

Best Butt Scene
Highest Vertical Leap in a movie
Best Quotable Meme in a movie
Best Post Credits Scene
Biggest Hype Moment in a movie
Best Scene That Was Uncomfortable to Watch with Your Parents and/or Kids
Worst Kiss on Screen

and ill watch

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Removing best score from the show is beyond ridiculous. Imagine Star Wars, Harry Potter or LOTR without their iconic themes, half of their magic lies in their music.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well I definitely didn't have "The Oscars become more like The Game Awards" on my bingo card but here we are.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm insulted on behalf of my gf who works as an asst art director. WTF, how do you leave out production design. Or any of these categories. None of the stupid changes they're planning will increase the ratings so let the people who make these films we enjoy get the recognition they deserve

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

This is basically how I feel. If they want to get higher ratings, well, pay the millions needed to end the ABC cable contract and move to YouTube/Twitch instead of stuffing it with pointless gimmicks that film fans don't like that are replacing someone's time to shine. They already did this in the past when they cut the honorary awards from the main show for more tacky tributes. But there are certain things AMPAS just has to accept. The Academy Awards prior to the 80s were a mostly serious affair, much shorter, people got to give their speeches and people moved on with the night. That wouldn't help ratings if they did a return to form like that but at least it might make everyone involved much happier - it doesn't need to be this glitz and glamor thing it became. One of the nice things I have always liked about the Oscars compared to the Grammys and Emmys is that they give everyone a time to shine instead of just being shoved into a pre-show. Disappointing but they have been doing disappointing things for awhile now in the name of clout instead of just making things work.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didn't they announce this once and then immediately reverse the decision due to backlash

i admit i'm a hypocrite here - the short categories are useless and can go or be packaged up. but to cut sound from two awards to one and now just cut it altogether is not good. editing is one of the biggest tells for best pic.

getting rid of the awards is not going to make people who only like spider man watch the oscars