• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Didn't cotton on that Hollywood missed Editing. Actually a big mark against it. Best Editing is a much better indicator of Best Picture than Best Director actually is, almost no BP winner goes without an Editing nom.
Birdman pulled off the Best Picture win without the Editing nom... although that film had the "single take" gimmick that the Academy doesn't believe qualifies as Editing. 1917 has that going for it as well so its Editing snub doesn't loom as large.

Whereas the Editing snub for OUATIH looms rather large by comparison. It had no such gimmick. So it has no baked-in excuse for the miss. It's a miss so egregious I'm not sure Hollywood is the de facto front-runner any more.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Joker. I could felt the tension for the whole duration of the movie. Good to see it getting so many noms. It doesn't deserve the best picture award because there are so many damn great movies in the past year but it deserves recognition.

I don't even think about it as a comic book movie, lol.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

Oh wow and what a banner year it was for women directors too (there are even more deserving ones than just these, btw).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gogo Parasite
Please don't give most awards to Joker
Happy for Taika even though Jojo is not top ten for me
Cannot wait to see 1917 next weekend
And biggest snub Lupita Nyong'o? I didn't like that movie too much, but snubbed for Judy? I don't know about that.
Nah, Renee Zellweger is actually the favorite to win that one. Not a surprise she got nominated.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling Greta would get snubbed, but it still sucks. :(

Rooting for Brad and Laura, also cool that Klaus got nominated for animated.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Uncut Gems got snubbed :(

Really rooting for Knives Out at least win Original screen play, after that I'm mainly rooting for Parasite and Joker to clean house

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about these nominations are Parasite and Corpus Christi getting the spotlight they deserve. The best films I have watched last year.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Gogo Parasite
Please don't give most awards to Joker
Happy for Taika even though Jojo is not top ten for me
Cannot wait to see 1917 next weekend
And biggest snub Lupita Nyong'o? I didn't like that movie too much, but snubbed for Judy? I don't know about that.

Perfectly balanced summation.
Renee Zellweger is actually the frontrunner for Judy. She's been sweeping pretty hard this awards season, in one of those "one and done" films.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever won Best supporting actor + best actor in the same year? I dont think Scarlett Johanssen will do it but interesting that she could.

Also, if Ford v Ferrari wins best picture = no hope in humanity.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about these noms the worse it gets.

- Nothing for Uncut Gems, The Farewell, Dolemite, Booksmart, or Rocketman aside from a song.

- No one seems to give two fucks about Bombshell but it's got a bunch of noms

-The endless fellating of Tarantino and Scorsese

-Joker is still a mediocre ripoff two more interesting movies

- I guess women directors don't exist

- I guess actors in Parasite don't exist

I hope Bong fucks up Tarantino's shit.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about these noms the worse it gets.

- Nothing for Uncut Gems, The Farewell, Dolemite, Booksmart, or Rocketman aside from a song.

- No one seems to give two fucks about Bombshell but it's got a bunch of noms

-The endless fellating of Tarantino and Scorsese

-Joker is still a mediocre ripoff two more interesting movie

- I guess women directors don't exist

- I guess actors in Parasite don't exist

I hope Bong fucks up Tarantino's shit.
Bombshell only got the token acting noms (and obligatory biography makeup nom) none of which it's going to win, far from the Oscar bait folks were expecting months ago before it actually came out. It's lived up to its name in the wrong way.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone ever won Best supporting actor + best actor in the same year? I dont think Scarlett Johanssen will do it but interesting that she could.

Also, if Ford v Ferrari wins best picture = no hope in humanity.

I think Kate Winslet did one year.

EDIT: I take that back, but I swear an actor did win 2 Oscars.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like how angry Joker makes people more than I liked the film itself. Get those nominations king!

Honestly though, the rage reserved for this anodyne film is incredible. Y'all are chumps.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Despite me also not liking Klaus very much, I am happy it got nominated because it's got such a great style. I'd much rather see that nominated than Frozen II, which is just another 3D CGI animated feature.

Well that's true. Frozen II isn't particularly better, and Klaus animation style is lovely. I feel Best Animated Feature is very open this year, no clear winner here (not the best year quality wise, sadly). I guess maybe Toy Story 4 gets it by default but that would be so boring.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally care very much about what deserves Oscars or not but Joker gets 11 nominations amazes me. He's such a silly and fun character at heart, now he's considered a prestige drama.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why did Marriage Story get a score nom when Randy Newman just recycled his Toy Story 3 score?
tenor.gif

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I like how angry Joker makes people more than I liked the film itself. Get those nominations king!

Honestly though, the rage reserved for this anodyne film is incredible. Y'all are chumps.

At this point there are twice as many posts like this in awards threads than there are of people actually bitching about Joker

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
The Green Book won last year! If Joker won, it would actually be an improvement. Why are people so scandalized by its recognition? It's the Academy.
Fair point well made. Compared to last year where two films were atrocious (edit: only Bohemian Rhapsody was that, Green Book was just blah) I actually don't hate anything on BP this time around.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
The fact that the only black person nominated was a slave leaves such a disgusting taste in my mouth, fucking horrific

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh Banderas is the best nominee in Best Actor despite Joaquin and Adam giving amazing performances as well. I was so worried he'd be snubbed.