• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Good for spike lee. I really liked blackkklansman.

I'm disappointed Michael B Jordan didn't get nominated.

Really odd seeing BP get nominated for Best picture but not screenwriting or director. That Disney money put in work.

I think a star is born is going to win. Hollywood was talking about that nonstop

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to talk about N'Jobu. I found him to be an interesting encapsulation of many immigrants who come to the United States, settle and have children here. I found his ennui and his elevation of his home country to be very indicative of how people tend to view their own home countries. During sentimental times, blind to the realities of their own culture, they tell their sons and daughters who are raised here about the beauty and majesty of their homeland. The wonderful cultures that is just not replicated here. They do it out of a sense of love and wanting to impart their history to their children. Their kids grow up here, a mix of American Culture but still marked (maybe forever) by their own history. Killmonger had no home, no home country really, he is an outsider to all Wakandans, but also knows in his heart that he doesn't belong in America either. When N'Jobu encounters him in the spirit realm, and tells Killmonger "They will say you are lost." From his perspective, simply being raised outside of Wakanda, he already knows how they will react to him when they see him. He's right. Killmonger responds by saying maybe it is the Wakandans who are lost, and N'Jobu cries, understanding that the rift won't be repaired, and his son will never look upon his home the way he himself did. This small part of the film, this exchange reflects what so many immigrants go through with their own children, who cannot relate to their past home. And in turn the children may lack the ability to look upon their father or mother's birthplace with the same love.

Anyway, this is just one relationship in the film.
I like this. Thanks for this insight.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What super hero movies honestly bring up political issues the way BP does?
Iron Man brings up the military industrial complex and a capitalist's moral obligation whether to participate in it.
Civil War brings up the post-9/11 tension between liberty/security.
Aquaman brings up environmental destruction of the oceans....

I mean I don't think any of them do it as anything but light flavouring on top of a adolescent fantasy where ultimately monsters and superdudes punch and shoot at each other... but that's my point. I don't think BP was actually a deep dive on black independence either. It was flavor for the thrill ride.

If in your own head it really did bring you to passion and tears, like, I get it. But for me it was another one of those platitude-level explorations of issues in our society, not an artists exploration (which it doesn't need to be? But now we're discussing giving it high accolades).

I got the guy who said BP was black Star Wars. That's about right. And no Star Wars deserves Best Picture either.

I'm pretty much done here, not like as a statement on the conversation but because I'd better get back to work...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with the movie. It was a pretty stirring popcorn film. But I don't think popcorn films deserve Oscars.

If this is the high bar for filmmaking that society want to award than by all means... enjoy the celebration. I don't get it. It is a 'me problem.'
Regardless of the craft or context of the popcorn/genre film? Being a popcorn/genre film doesn't mean it also can't be socially/thematically/culturally relevant, or be excellently executed, or be more resonant and impactful than a "traditional" Oscar film. Plus thriller, fantasy, horror, sci-fi, and other popcorn/genre film genres have largely been overlooked in that regard; Hereditary and Widows didn't get recognized this year, for example

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Iron Man brings up the military industrial complex and a capitalist's moral obligation whether to participate in it.
Civil War brings up the tension between liberty/security.

I mean I don't think any of them do it as anything but light flavouring on top of a adolescent fantasy where ultimately monsters and superdudes punch and shoot at each other... but that's my point. I don't think BP was actually a deep dive on black independence either. It was flavor for the thrill ride.

If in your own head it really did bring you to passion and tears, like, I get it. But for me it was another one of those platitude-level explorations of issues in our society, not an artists exploration (which it doesn't need to be? But now we're discussing giving it high accolades).

I got the guy who said BP was black Star Wars. That's about right. And no Star Wars deserves Best Picture either.

I'm pretty much done here, not like as a statement on the conversation but because I'd better get back to work...
Killmonger was the literal representation of the pain of the decendants of slaves. and how they feel being cut off from their heritage. None of your other examples come anywhere near as this to getting at the issues you brought up.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
guys am i slick, or?

anyway, mark my words, Yorgos Lanthimos isn't setting foot on that stage

would be cool though

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just rewatched First Man. Academy done fucked up badly.

The movie should have been more fleshed out if anything actually. Hell, a 6-8 episode mini-series would have been perfect. It felt a bit rushed at times.

Its been explained multiple times why its not another Marvel movie, but you choose not to listen/care.

It has come to a point where we will have to agree to disagree. The Black Panther is, outside of cultural importance, just another Marvel movie. It has all the cliches you can think of and is more predictable than the average horror flick.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Civil War brings up the post-9/11 tension between liberty/security.

Those films were all surface level background elements, while Black Panther not only brought Afrofuturism to life onscreen but directly explored those relevant ideas and embodied those relevant themes in the characters, central narrative, visuals, etc. Those films you mentioned aren't remotely comparable to how deeply engrained the social themes are into all aspects of Black Panther

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how ANYONE with any modicum of critical thinking would deign to even nominate Green Book.

It's insulting even, when you have Black Panther and BlacKKKlansman in there. There is no longer a need for movies like Green Book. It's time we retire White Savior narratives and allow black people to tell their own stories, on their own terms.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
This thread, and the thousands of tweets and discussions, etc. going on across the country, is exactly why Black Panther was nominated. The Academy knew what it was doing.

Plus it's a good movie, it's not like they nominated The Meg or something.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The movie should have been more fleshed out if anything actually. Hell, a 6-8 episode mini-series would have been perfect. It felt a bit rushed at times.

i also just watched The Right Stuff recently, and what i love most about these types of movies is how they delve into the spouses and how everything is affecting them

adds so much to the films, and Claire Foy is just excellent

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017

It has come to a point where we will have to agree to disagree. The Black Panther is, outside of cultural importance, just another Marvel movie. It has all the cliches you can think of and is more predictable than the average horror flick.
And ill disagree with your dumb ass remark that it was only nominated because of the black cast.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of the craft or context of the popcorn/genre film? Being a popcorn/genre film doesn't mean it also can't be socially/thematically/culturally relevant or be excellently executed, or be more resonant and impactful than a "traditional" Oscar film. Plus thriller, fantasy, horror, sci-fi, and other popcorn/genre film genres have largely been overlooked in that regard
I think there have been some popcorn movies that are knocking on the door of what I personally would like to give accolades... particularly movies like Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049 or The Dark Knight. Because I look at those and think "Hollywood formula couldn't make that... I don't even know how films like these were conceived of or greenlit in through the studio system in the first place.".

But I look at BP and I think "Hollywood formula clearly made that". They can make movies like this again and again. And I'm not exactly eager to bust down the doors of the Oscars to let more of these in.

But that's me. I'm feeling like I want to let people enjoy their movie being nominated. I've said my piece, I just wanted to respond to your point here.

And here I was thinking that the nominations for Vice, Green Book and especially Bohemian Rhapsody would have taken a lot of the flack away from Black Panther, only to discover that quite the opposite has happened.

Guys, I get that it's a superhero movie that gets really uneven, and it's hardly my favorite film of the year either, but there is a literal garbage film in terms of critical reception up there. There are much bigger fish to fry this year.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
This thread, and the thousands of tweets and discussions, etc. going on across the country, is exactly why Black Panther was nominated. The Academy knew what it was doing.

Plus it's a good movie, it's not like they nominated The Meg or something.
Nah, they nominated Bohemian Rhapsody, which is worse. At least there isn't an internationally beloved Megalodon that has passed away that they make numerous lies about, altering it's legacy to unknowing filmgoers for generations.

How on earth did Ready Player One get a nomination for VFX??

That's just confusing.
It has really good VFX work? I can't imagine it was easy to get anything to look cohesive with how many different IPs they had to play with, but somehow, it clicked together rather well. It may not be the best film of the previous year in that regard, but it's a worthy nominee.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It has really good VFX work? I can't imagine it was easy to get anything to look cohesive with how many different IPs they had to play with, but somehow, it clicked together rather well. It may not be the best film of the previous year in that regard, but it's a worthy nominee.
A lot of hard work went into the film, no doubt.
But honestly I just don't see it as one for that nomination

I mean, what's the competition? Venom, Antman and Black Panther aren't flashier and Aquaman is past the deadline.
Technically, Aquaman could have been nominated, but it came out so late in the year that I don't think it had much of a chance. It needed something really big happening critically in order to get more eyes on it, which is what has benefited Spider-verse so much.

Oct 25, 2017
Since people are talking about the VFX, these were the contenders in the bakeoff this year:

"Ant-Man And The Wasp"
"Avengers: Infinity War"
"Black Panther"
"Christopher Robin"
"First Man"
"Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom"
"Mary Poppins Returns"
"Ready Player One"
"Solo: A Star Wars Story"
"Welcome to Marwen"

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, what's the competition? Venom, Antman and Black Panther aren't flashier and Aquaman is past the deadline.

Jurassic World seemed like an easy pick over RP1

c3aG5RI.jpg

ll5Ylju.jpg

YytC3fN.jpg

WaQiRkw.jpg

Ls8e0vZ.jpg

Since people are talking about the VFX, these were the contenders in the bakeoff this year:

"Ant-Man And The Wasp"
"Avengers: Infinity War"
"Black Panther"
"Christopher Robin"
"First Man"
"Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom"
"Mary Poppins Returns"
"Ready Player One"
"Solo: A Star Wars Story"
"Welcome to Marwen"
I'm actually surprised that Annihilation didn't get shortlisted. The Academy loved Ex Machina and this film had a pretty similar use of sparse but important CG utilization.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And here I was thinking that the nominations for Vice, Green Book and especially Bohemian Rhapsody would have taken a lot of the flack away from Black Panther, only to discover that quite the opposite has happened.

Guys, I get that it's a superhero movie that gets really uneven, and it's hardly my favorite film of the year either, but there is a literal garbage film in terms of critical reception up there. There are much bigger fish to fry this year.

I was surprised to see GB and BR nominated after hearing the critical reception of those two. And while I really enjoyed Vice, it has some issues to where I can't see it being Best Picture.

Surprised to see Buster Scruggs getting that much love, it's a great movie, but I didn't think the curmudgeons running the show would give that much love to sonething not in theaters.

Annihilation not getting a single nomination is a travesty.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

Fully HALF of the Best Picture nominees (the above 3 dregs and BlackKklansman) took serious liberties with revisionist history when recounting "true stories" to various degrees of success.

The fact that Black Panther's inclusion is getting criticized is downright baffling to me. I don't know whether to chalk it up to latent racism, bitter Chazelle backers, fanboys upset that Infinity War isn't held to a higher standard by a bunch of old white men in Hollywood or something else entirely. Especially when Black Panther's BP nomination has been a veritable LOCK since that silly "Best Popcorn Flick" award or whatever the hell it was got tabled.

2018 was a garbage year at the movies and a whole lot of garbage made the Best Picture category as a result. Black Panther's inclusion is perfectly serviceable.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised that Annihilation didn't get shortlisted. The Academy loved Ex Machina and this film had a pretty similar use of sparse but important CG utilization.
I think in a way that's First Man this time around. And I'm happy Christopher Robin didn't get overlooked for its effects.

The fact that Black Panther's inclusion is getting criticized is downright baffling to me. I don't know whether to chalk it up to latent racism, fanboys bitter that Infinity War isn't held to a higher standard by a bunch of old white men in Hollywood or something else entirely.
The answer is yes.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
No one here talking about the one being exclusion this year? Mission Impossible: Fallout?

McQuarrie really deserved a Best Directing nom.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, they usually do a lot better than this. This feels an awful lot like a reaction to decreased ratings. They basically junked the most popular category they were thinking about adding and just made it best picture.

Roma, The Favorite, BlacKKKlansman were no "popular movies". ASIB and Bohemian Rhapsody had lots of success in the awards circuit. This failed narrative has lots of uninformed if not prejudicial undertones when it comes to Black Panther.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I saw The Dark Knight because of the excitement for Heath Ledger's performance, a morbid curiosity from his sudden death that seemed take over the country. I was bored whenever he wasn't on screen. But Heath Ledger's performance is the number one reason why that movie is remembered.

Ftfy

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory commentary surrounding race
And ill disagree with your dumb ass remark that it was only nominated because of the black cast.
It's not a dumb ass remark. It's about not being naive. Let's face it, with an average cast (majority white), it would've gone down in history as just another Marvel movie, with no awards or nominations to its name.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just love how the director of my favorite comedy movies Adam McKay (Step Brothers, The Other Guys) has been nominated so many times now.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly disgusted at the fact that the movie Detainment was nominated for an Oscar.

That film should have never been made without first consulting the family, let alone been nominated for an Oscar.