• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a longtime Netflix subscriber, I really need to get around to watching Roma and Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm surprised Widows was left out. That had some great direction and cinematography (that one long take might be my favorite shot of the year). Also, Annihilation was only pretty good overall, but its visual design was sooo cool I wish it could win something for that.

I'm expecting Roma to clean up pretty nicely, bit there'll probably be a lot of different movies getting awards since there wasn't really standout movies this year.

Last edited:

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Then perhaps they shouldn't be complaining about the validity of a particular film in the BP category when they have no reference to compare it to.

It's a lot to unpack with a combination of institutional racism and bias towards what we expect as an "Oscar film."

I've seen a few of the nominations and while I agree there's worse nominated there's also better nominated than Black Panther. Hell, I'd argue that it wasn't even the best cape flick released this year (shoutouts to Aquaman and Enter The Spiderverse.) That said, given the playing field it's fine being nominated. It's neither a travesty nor is it some great revelation that it's nominated. The Academy's trying to appeal more to casual fans and it does help that it is pretty much an all black superhero film in front and behind the camera so it makes perfect sense to nominate it; not only from a demographics point of view but a political point of view as well. This was the perfect year to nominate it without the majority of non-shitheads bitching about it being a quota pick.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I truly can't believe black panther is in best picture. This is a joke.

I mean I like it but I really don't think it's one of the best films of the year. Hell, I'd be more happy with spiderverse.

I guess giving general audiences a bone for best picture contenders is thier attempt to gain more viewers this year.

EDIT: Now that I think about it A Star is Born doesn't seem like a best picture contender to me but it was very popular so I guess 2018 was pretty weak for film.

Last edited:

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I thought Black Panther was okay on a re-watch. I preferred Infinity War as far as superhero movies go, but when it comes to which is a better constructed film I don't think there's much of an argument to be made for Infinity War. The characters had complete arcs, the film discussed relevant issues in society, and even in the MCU it can mostly stand on its own. It was paced more like a Bond film than a typical MCU one.

That said, it definitely deserves the nomination more than Vice, Green Book, and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh wow, black people can write, direct, and star in expensive movies too?! What an achievement!" is what Black Panther being nominated feels like to me. There's nothing exceptional about the writing, the direction, the acting, or technical prowess. The only thing exceptional is that black people were in the forward facing positions and it feels condescending to me that that's enough to get a best picture nomination. However, this will probably the last opportunity for a $200M movie written, directed, and starring black people to be nominated for an best picture Oscar for quite some time so I'm okay with it being recognized for being a $200M black movie.
Difficult to see what you're saying here. Are you saying that the Academy and critics just praise this movie this to save face ("Yeah we love diversity, see?") so black people will shut up? As a compensation for years of neglect? Or.. what are you saying?

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Yalitza needs to win. Indigenous latinas need some love and recognition. My afro latina ass sobbed when Lupita won her Oscar. If Yalitza doesnt win, I'm out man.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Rip Ethan Hawke. Guess he really is getting his first Oscar when he's 70.

Also, lol at people who haven't seen the majority of the Best Picture noms and still feel like BP doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Seriously, how did Won't You Be My Neighbor? not get nominated? What bigger documentary was there this year?

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. They were fine with the film until it shattered box office expectations and received unanimous critical acclaim. Then the worm turned.

It'd be one thing if the critiques were coming from a legitimate place but the obfuscation and attempt to downplay the important themes Panther explored, depiction of Afrofuturism, solid acting and one of the most nuanced antagonists the MCU has had by harping on the CGI ad nausea and boiling its acclaim down to "political correctness" is pathetically transparent.
Yep yep. Totally agree

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Was her scene in the bedroom after the car discovery the best piece of acting this year?

I think yes

#justice4toni

The scene at the dinner table did it for me. All of that pent up sadness, frustration, anger, and resentment coming out in one incredible outburst really set the mood for how fucked up the family was after the car accident. But that was an incredible scene as well.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Seriously, how did Won't You Be My Neighbor? not get nominated? What bigger documentary was there this year?
There wasn't one in terms of box office gross. That said, it was actually a strong year for documentaries (compared to the rest of cinema, I would argue) and there's no intrinsic benefit to Won't You Be My Neighbor? getting more of a profile from Oscar glory whereas there are some exceptional docs that were nominated that could stand to benefit a ton.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less about Black Panther being nominated or not, but OMG the salt it generated...

Kinda want it to win everything now.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Would've been nice to see Widows and You Were Never Really Here get some acknowledgment. Both gripping as well and underappreciated.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Killmonger has a complete arc where we learn his origins, his goals, his motivations, the realization of those goals. He's a dominating force in the film, and drives not only the narrative forward, but everything about him deeply impacts the main character and touches heavily on the film's examination of the long term effects of colonialism and the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. For you to say "It feels like Serkis is the main villain" quite literally does not make sense.

I agree that Infinity War pulls together a lot of characters and tones, and I think it does an admirable job of making it all flow together with only minor hiccups in pacing. But as I've said before, only three of those characters have anything approaching an arc, and none of those arcs have the depth that is seen in T'Challa and Killmonger in Black Panther.

Infinity War is not a complete story, and it feels almost unfair to compare it to Black Panther, which is complete, well structured, and ACTUALLY daring. So it's kind of funny seeing some of you attempt to make an argument that Infinity War is somehow a better film. I honestly congratulate you for putting up a better effort than most.

I like the ending in IW a lot and wouldn't have minded it ending there tbh.

But we will just have to agree to disagree.

What we can agree on though is that BP being nominated is well deserved.
It wouldn't be among the movies I would remove from the list to fit in IW, Spider-Verse and Annihilation.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's like these idiots "loling" at the black panther best picture nom refuses to acknowledge or understand that a well made film with a huge cultural impact deserves to be in the running. They refuse to understand context and just reverts to "black panther lol"
Or because it's an average super hero movie.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This has to be the weakest year for best picture. Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, and Vice? Meh. I haven't watched Roma yet, but Blackkklansman is the best of the rest. I'm disappointed First Man didn't even get a nomination. I hope it can at least sweep the technical stuff.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Yalitza needs to win. Indigenous latinas need some love and recognition. My afro latina ass sobbed when Lupita won her Oscar. If Yalitza doesnt win, I'm out man.
I don't think she stands a chance, that award is probably going Glenn Close, with a possible upset from Coleman or (I hope not) Gaga. My bet for best actor is Bale, best supporting Mahershela or Sam Elliot, and Regina King. I also think Alfonso/Roma will take the best director and picture* while it will lose the best foreign to Cold War.

*Green Book was the favourite for a while but I think the controversy surrounding it lately is affecting its chances, I could be wrong of course.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
My brother said yesterday that Driver got a nom over the lead in Klansman he said it was up on Wikipedia.
We checked and I said I didn't think they were out yet.
Weird.
Also no, Driver was fine but no.

Nov 3, 2017
I really want to see Suspiria. To be fair I'd watch anything with Tilda Swinton in it. She's amazing. I'm still annoyed to this day that nobody seems to have seen Only Lovers Left Alive...

They didn't run it in my local cinema but it's out there now

I have a hard time saying it's better than the original but it's not worse either? It's very different, very enjoyable regardless

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Roma taking 10 nominations.

Same as Crouching Tiger. I don't think any film has won both BP and Best Foreign Language. It'll probably get the later or maybe Netflix's big money push might take it over the line. Would a Mexican film taking BP be seen as political?

Last edited:

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Rare year where I've seen basically everything. I like a lot of it. I do have a feeling quality is more spread out and diverse than ever and this old, simple system no longer reflects the large amount of quality from last year. A lot of good stuff included, a lot of greater stuff left out.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I would say it's Spider-Man then Mirai then Teen Titans then incredibles then isle of dogs then wreck it Ralph in my rankings for best animated. What a stacked year.

Nov 1, 2017
IW isn't a good film. I couldn't even finish it when I tried rewatching recently. It's overlong, poorly paced, and entirely too pleased with itself over its ending. It can't stand on its own, not outside the context of the larger MCU or even really outside the context of its upcoming sequel (which is gonna undo that "stunner" of an ending btw). As a single story, it is incomplete. Maybe the Marvel superfans who populate this forum don't care, but the average Academy voter probably does.

It throws a ton of characters at you. Few have good or complete arcs. The numerous characters force you to recognize how shallow and archetypal some of them are, especially when characters of the same archetype are interacting. Consider the rich, privileged, arrogant, cocky, white bastard who experiences a life-altering event that leads him to his super powers and a renewed sense of purpose in the world. He's a good guy now, even if he's still a bit of an arrogant asshole sometimes. Did I just describe Doctor Strange or Tony Stark?

Black Panther doesn't fully stick the landing in its 3rd act, but it's a way better movie to me. It's a complete story, and rather than being pure escapist popcorn entertainment like most superhero movies are, it uses its narrative to explore potent themes and ideas. Things like the Void, isolationism, colonialism. That's more worthy of celebration to me than how good the CGI climax looks.

RT

I don't necessarily think BP is one of the best pictures of the year, but the movies nominated for Best Picture rarely are. Black Panther is at least trying to be about something and is for the most part very well-made, and for those reasons I'm totally ok with it being nominated for Best Picture, especially when legitimate trash like Bohemian Rhapsody makes it in. The backlash to Black Panther getting nominated is absurd, as if the Oscars always recognize the objectively best movies of the year with no exceptions. And arguing that IW should have made it in instead is ludicrous. I enjoyed it but as a piece of filmmaking, it is so widely inferior to Black Panther in every imaginable way.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This years nominees seem super weak. Black Panther is culturally significant but a mediocre film. Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book and Vice are ok but not Oscar Material either.
Roma is like the only Oscar worthy movie there

The foreign movie category seems stronger than the BP category.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Same as Crouching Tiger. I don't think any film has won both BP and Best Foreign Language. It'll probably get the later or maybe Netflix's big money push might take it over the line. Would a Mexican film taking BP be seen as political?

I don't see how, Mexican directors have been steadily getting oscars lately, don't think anybody would see it as an agenda, well, anybody who is not racist anyway.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody but I can't think of too many other films that did so poorly critically and got an Oscar nomination for BP.

It's really strange.

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty cool how we're still completely ignoring female directors. Wouldn't have been too hard to swap out one of the lesser nominees with Leave No Trace or You Were Never Really Here or Can You Ever Forgive Me

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vice is shit and it should not have done this well

Editing especially is an egregious example of "Most Editing" over best