• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
How was BR 2049 not nominated again?
I think it was a bit auteur and it kinda bombed at the box office considering how much money was put in. It probably would have made Best Picture if more people had seen it in the movie theaters or the budget was lower. It got a lot of nominations despite that though.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I am impressed you can keep a straight face while saying that.
It's a much better written movie, with better character work, better realized and implemented themes, which themselves are rarely depicted in its genre. It's also a more critically acclaimed film, and just got nominated for Best Picture. I'd say calling Black Panther a better film than Infinity War is kind of the opposite of a daring proclamation. It's common sense.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Paddington 2 was exponentially better than Black Panther (which was good). I'm stunned it wasn't nominated.
That was 2017.

Usually an non-Disney animated film gets snubbed in the animated category for sure and arguably other categories too but this year there was no non-Disney animated film to get snubbed as far as I know.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody is a straight-up bad film. It's one thing to not be historically accurate, but it's another to create drama using flat out lies on the back of the dead man who is the only reason people are watching that film in the first place. It's fucking gross and insulting.

Last edited:

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I wish the people who think Infinity War is a better movie than Black Panther could actually articulate this position. It's really just been lazy drive-bys. Kinda solidifies my feelings that it's an opinion held by folks who aren't that good at watching movies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the people who think Infinity War is a better movie than Black Panther could actually articulate this position. It's really just been lazy drive-bys. Kinda solidifies my feelings that it's an opinion held by folks who aren't that good at watching movies.
I mean, it's something called opinion? That's all it comes down to. You can prefer BP or IW.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this incredibly successful and well-reviewed cultural milestone superhero movie got nominated for best picture next to masterpieces like Vice or Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm so angry and outraged.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't personally think it's the best film of the year but I've done a complete 180 on it getting nominated. Good for them, it has faults but with BP and SpiderVerse maybe people can respect these films from now on. Also the soundtrack is 🔥🔥🔥 And think of all the shitty people this nomination pisses off. The more I think about it , this was always happening, the Academy loses nothing nominating it and gains a helluva lot

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its an opinion held by quite a lot of people who do not think black panther is some hot shit that transcends MCU confines , let alone superhero genre and prefers infinity war as a better made mcu movie . But keep trying

Oct 25, 2017
thank+gif.gif
I found the thread that prompted that section of my post:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cinemasins-black-panther.53215/

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a much better written movie, with better character work, better realized and implemented themes, which themselves are rarely depicted in its genre. It's also a more critically acclaimed film, and just got nominated for Best Picture. I'd say calling Black Panther a better film than Infinity War is kind of the opposite of a daring proclamation. It's common sense.

Being nominated for best picture means nothing. Bohemian Rapsody is nominated and that is a straight up bad movie.
Black Panther is good and I think it's fine it's nominated, but it's inferior to both Infinity War and Spider-Verse.
Infinity War manages to build up its villain and Josh Brolin was fantastic. The Villain in BP is gone for most of the movie which completely wrecks his development. It ended up feeling like Serkis was the main villain. The CGI in BP is horrible. Infinity War took a ton of risks and managed to pull together all these vastly different heroes and tones and make them feel like a whole. Infinity War is a masterpiece, whereas Black Panther never rises above very good.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Its an opinion held by quite a lot of people who do not think black panther is some hot shit that transcends MCU confines , let alone superhero genre and prefers infinity war as a better made mcu movie . But keep trying
It is an opinion held by quite a lot of people. And so far few who are able to articulate it. Kinda pathetic.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I can't ever remember feeling good about an Oscar nomination or win. If I like a movie or don't, that's just my perspective. I don't need validation from people who don't know who I am. I understand why people in the industry care, it's an honor to be recognized by your peers, but the Oscars are just a silly little distraction with some entertainment value.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying Roma is getting the best picture oscar?
I'm rooting for the Favourite, personally, but yeah Roma should win. In any case what I was saying is that at least Shoplifters and Cold War should have been in the best picture noms too.

Well, the foreign film category win is a no brainer now, if Roma is on the best film nom the others have no chance in winning.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Will say this though in regards to disappointment--pretty sad Paddington 2 got zero nominations for how well-crafted it was. Will also echo a comment that I wish MI: Fallout got some technical nods as well.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
And so happy seeing the Roma recognition. I was shocked how many people in that review/OT thread were unmoved by it. Soulless husks and wannabe film snobs. Cuarón is a GOAT

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked Bohemian Rhapsody (To be fair, Queen is my favorite band) but like others, I'm surprised that it was nominated for Best Picture.

Was the year that bad that people don't think anything else could replace its spot?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Being nominated for best picture means nothing. Bohemian Rapsody is nominated and that is a straight up bad movie.
Black Panther is good and I think it's fine it's nominated, but it's inferior to both Infinity War and Spider-Verse.
Infinity War manages to build up its villain and Josh Brolin was fantastic. The Villain in BP is gone for most of the movie which completely wrecks his development. It ended up feeling like Serkis was the main villain. The CGI in BP is horrible. Infinity War took a ton of risks and managed to pull together all these vastly different heroes and tones and make them feel like a whole. Infinity War is a masterpiece, but Black Panther never rises above very good.
A masterpiece.........

And to say killmonger wasnt developed and klaw was makes me think you were on your phone while watching the movie. Not only was he given a backstory, But its a major plot point in the film. Fucking klaw was even used by him.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
all i truly cared about was Rami at least getting an Oscar nom and BP and Into the spiderverse getting recognized hopefully one wins for best movie and the other for best animated feature cause it truly was better than everything else in the category

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Depends on what you want from a movie I guess. Black panther feels more suited for this award, but I would bet 10 years from now infinity War is the one movie this year that I'll most fondly remember and rewatch.

It's not like it's easy to craft great action scenarios that get audiences hyped, and I can't think of a movie in the last decade to do that better.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Infinity War manages to build up its villain and Josh Brolin was fantastic. The Villain in BP is gone for most of the movie which completely wrecks his development. It ended up feeling like Serkis was the main villain. The CGI in BP is horrible. Infinity War took a ton of risks and managed to pull together all these vastly different heroes and tones and make them feel like a whole. Infinity War is a masterpiece, whereas Black Panther never rises above very good.
Killmonger has a complete arc where we learn his origins, his goals, his motivations, the realization of those goals. He's a dominating force in the film, and drives not only the narrative forward, but everything about him deeply impacts the main character and touches heavily on the film's examination of the long term effects of colonialism and the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. For you to say "It feels like Serkis is the main villain" quite literally does not make sense.

I agree that Infinity War pulls together a lot of characters and tones, and I think it does an admirable job of making it all flow together with only minor hiccups in pacing. But as I've said before, only three of those characters have anything approaching an arc, and none of those arcs have the depth that is seen in T'Challa and Killmonger in Black Panther.

Infinity War is not a complete story, and it feels almost unfair to compare it to Black Panther, which is complete, well structured, and ACTUALLY daring. So it's kind of funny seeing some of you attempt to make an argument that Infinity War is somehow a better film. I honestly congratulate you for putting up a better effort than most.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm surprised by the success of Bohemian Rhapsody in this awards season. Not that I have seen it, but I thought the reception was very mixed.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Still have to see Roma. Is it worth it?
Ah never mind. I'll just get mixed responses. I'll give it a watch. ResetEra recommendations haven't really payed out for me lately.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love the seething hatred and barely veiled racism coming Black Panther's way from the racist comic book nerds on social media (and other places).

Every single ounce of success this film has tears them up inside and reveals their true feelings.

Almost an entire year of living rent free in people's heads.

Great list of nominations. Glad to see the Roma, BlacKkKlansman and A Star is Born nods.

Last edited:

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But for an awards show?

I guess the people who actually have a say in the award show liked it. I dunno what to tell ya. I never saw the movie, but like I said before, I know my parents and the people who they saw it with wouldn't stop talking about it.

People have been hammering on about how movies that are popular never get noms and stuff like Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody are sentiments to the fact that the Oscars might be changing. While BP was both liked by critics and audiences, BR was not liked by critics but audiences seem to really enjoy it.

I think you're right. I imagine they always want to strike a balance between "professional opinion," whatever that is, any personal biases, and popular opinion, equally. Maybe this year is swinging more into popularity.

Vice is the best film of the year and should win Best Picture

FTFY! ;-P