• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at it, the more I'm baffled that Bohemian Rhapsody is even on there. Vice, Green Book, and even Black Panther are whatever, but freaking BR, that ends in a 15 minute concert sing along.

Who decided on these this year? Maybe the "Best Blockbuster" should have been a category all along. A lot of good movies were over looked, probably for being too indie, which is surprising considering it's the Oscars.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody shouldn't be on here. Sorry to Bother You not being on here is a crime.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Then maybe wait to make a judgement. It has been a while that I have seen BP. But I know that I didn't like those political references. It was so thinly veiled. But I loved blackkklansman because it was worked out. Maybe I found BP to simple and couldn't enjoy it.

What political references?

I asked you to explain what political references you're talking about and you replied with "the political references."

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Viggo Mortensen wins.

It is weird I believe Roma could win Best picture, yet lose Foreign picture? I watched both movies, and Shoplifters is the better movie. Even movie of the year tbh.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Not only this, but calling out BP as being "too political" when Blakkklansman and Vice are in the same list is bizarre.

BP doesn't even deal with politics. At ALL. It DOES address race relations and colonialism though. So what is that objection, really?
Colonialism is probably a bigger taboo to criticize than Trump and Cheney.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody shouldn't be on here. Sorry to Bother You not being on here is a crime.
Sorry to Bother You is my favorite movie of the year, but it is not an Oscar sort of film. It's a comedy, a satire at that, it has horror elements, and it deals with race in a brutally honest way, rather than one designed to make white people feel like they've come a long way.

I was hoping it might be able to squeeze into Best Original Screenplay, though.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
How did Paddington 2 not get a best animated film? Is it not considered animated?

I take that you are being sarcastic or didn't see the movie. The most awards talk I hear about for this film related to his performance. It probably got no awards push though, given what the film is and how they had to change distributor and messed up its US release.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

I asked you to explain what political references you're talking about and you replied with "the political references."
I am going of my memory. And I am not going to watch the movie again just to give the references. Man, I better would have said I didn't like the movie and found it way to much overhyped, and the political was a small part why I didn't like it. Is this enough for the jury?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
As a Mexican, of course I'm proud of Roma having so many nominations and on the most important categories! Hope they win some but then again, the competition is fierce this time. Lot's of great movies!! Amazing feat for Roma's protagonist Yalitza Aparicio. It's her first acting role coming from a humble community in one of Mexico's poorest states and she is now going to seat and have dinner with the biggest movie and music stars. And perhaps maybe even kick their butts if she wins Oscar for best actress. This is fucking inspiring!

I hope Netflix campaigns like crazy for her

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
...is inferior to Black Panther.
tenor.gif

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good Lord at the BP nominees. If there's a worse overall list it's not coming to mind. That should have been 2019's group though, to cap off the worst two decades in American film.

The Favourite and Roma should win everything.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther was no different than other Marvel flicks, I seriously do not get it. Why weren't Dr Strange or Infinity Wars nominated?
Not to mention laughable CGI in BP.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
The award for best visual effects for Infinity War is basically "Hey recognize Josh Brolin for Thanos because the awards don't count for digital characters."

I'd really like to see an award for best digital performance added.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My parents loved Bohemian Rhapsody...

Sometimes movies can be just, "not for you" but maybe good for others.

Oh well. Opinions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I am going of my memory. And I am not going to watch the movie again just to give the references. Man, I better would have said I didn't like the movie and found it way to much overhyped, and the political was a small part why I didn't like it. Is this enough for the jury?

So just to clarify, you take issue with the "politics" of Black Panther but you're not able to give a single example because you forgot.

Yeah, this checks out.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

And sorry maybe I am wrong. Maybe I should see the movie again. And is my memory deceiving me. Sorry if I offended someone.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Oh well. Opinions.
People have been hammering on about how movies that are popular never get noms and stuff like Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody are sentiments to the fact that the Oscars might be changing. While BP was both liked by critics and audiences, BR was not liked by critics but audiences seem to really enjoy it.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Paddington 2 was exponentially better than Black Panther (which was good). I'm stunned it wasn't nominated.

Edit: And apparently released in 2017, so none of this makes sense.

Last edited:

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least we finally have a movie with the initials 'BR' as a Best Picture nominee.

Seeing as how neither Blade Runner film was good enough.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The award for best visual effects for Infinity War is basically "Hey recognize Josh Brolin for Thanos because the awards don't count for digital characters."

I'd really like to see an award for best digital performance added.

There ought to be a best digital performance category. But Solo deserves to win for Visual Effects for all its practical effects work; RPO and Infinity War use so much CGI that they're practically animated films.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I love the fact that Roma was nominated, I expected it to remain only a candidate for best foreign film

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I knew Black Panther would be nominated based on the size of this thread.

That movie being nominated for Best Picture is just the Academy trying to play to a certain crowd who have complained about them in the past. It's not even in the top 3 best super hero movies of last year.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Vice so suck it, Era. No First Man breaks my heart tho, specially considering that it missed the Original Score nom. That's a fucking crime.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting choices. Hoped Fallout could have snagged a tech nom or two.

Oh well. Opinions.

BR really seemed to appeal to older crowds. My parents and their friend circles were over the moon about it.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen it yet but pretty impressed by all of the BlackKklansman nominations. Really feels like a big comeback for Lee, and another big success for Peele as well.

Also kinda surprised Spider-Verse actually got a nomination. Guess the acclaim was too big for the Academy to ignore this time (*glances at Meatballs, Lego Movie, Lego Batman Movie*).

Isle of Dogs for best score, that's a surprise.

Kinda not surprised really. The presentation for that film overall was entirely stellar.

Don't mind me, I'm just here for Black Panther salt.

ReflectingHairyJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif