• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I know this has been said before, but I find it hard to believe Tyrone and Pixel are still friends considering he used a different publisher for his follow up game, which just so happened to be about a tireless worker who is constantly overworked and harassed by his boss who doesn't speak the same language as him.

Holy shit, that is too perfect to be untrue.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I probably will forget it and install that Model 3 emulator that I think got a new UI?

And I have no idea what's going on with Racing Apex. I hope it's not a cursed genre, we really need some new entries into the genre.

I saw the thread title and got excited, but hearing those Anime Expo impressions just tanked my enthusiasm.
I'd still enjoy a traditional arcade racer with feel-good gameplay and music, but regardless of this update I don't have high hopes in this being released anytime soon. :/

I urge you all to try Xenon Racer, which is a complete and released game and the next best thing to getting a brand new "90s arcade racer". The handling has its quirks/flaws and some of the tracks are not as wild as the the ol' twisty tracks with blue skies, but it's certainly a valiant attempt considering there are almost no other alternatives and people have lived whole lifetimes waiting for 90s Arcade Racer.

Uninterrupted Gameplay:

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tyrone's response to the patch:

"We have a policy of stringent QA testing" - which is why most of their releases have major bugs and need patches, which don't always come.
Lately they've been getting into false advertisement as well, when they removed the bonus goodie from the physical release of Umihara Kawase Fresh without notifying anyone, while marketing material advertising its existence were still up on their social media channels (even after the release) and it was listed in store descriptions.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I urge you all to try Xenon Racer, which is a complete and released game and the next best thing to getting a brand new "90s arcade racer". The handling has its quirks/flaws and some of the tracks are not as wild as the the ol' twisty tracks with blue skies, but it's certainly a valiant attempt considering there are almost no other alternatives and people have lived whole lifetimes waiting for 90s Arcade Racer.

Uninterrupted Gameplay:

It was on my radar but I thought it's wasn't that good? IDK, gonna search rn. Thanks!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
"We have a policy of stringent QA testing" - which is why most of their releases have major bugs and need patches, which don't always come.
Lately they've been getting into false advertisement as well, when they removed the bonus goodie from the physical release of Umihara Kawase Fresh without notifying anyone, while marketing material advertising its existence were still up on their social media channels (even after the release) and it was listed in store descriptions.

Alright, the first point is par for the course, Tyrone is a dirty liar and he's trying to put the blame on the Tako Devs instead of taking responsibility for it's poorer reception. CAN'T SPARE THE MONEY TO QA TEST THE PATCH?!? WHAT QA, DINGUS?

But the bolded? Absolutely illegal, no question.

I can't believe we had a whole thread about how stupid the online release handling has been, and yet the fact that they Cheated People out of what was promised to them went completely off the radar, just shameful.

Be better then just consumers, people, hold this dickhead accountable! If you were cheated by Nicalis for Umihara Kawase: Fresh!'s Physical Release, take him to task!!! That is unacceptable, false advertising, and it's worth getting mad over, especially with all the blatently illegal stuff he's done before!

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, the first point is par for the course, Tyrone is a dirty liar and he's trying to put the blame on the Tako Devs instead of taking responsibility for it's poorer reception. CAN'T SPARE THE MONEY TO QA TEST THE PATCH?!? WHAT QA, DINGUS?

But the bolded? Absolutely illegal, no question.

I can't believe we had a whole thread about how stupid the online release handling has been, and yet the fact that they Cheated People out of what was promised to them went completely off the radar, just shameful.

Be better then just consumers, people, hold this dickhead accountable! If you were cheated by Nicalis for Umihara Kawase: Fresh!'s Physical Release, take him to task!!! That is unacceptable, false advertising, and it's worth getting mad over, especially with all the blatently illegal stuff he's done before!
The manufacturing for it apparently ran late, and instead of delaying the release for a bit, they just pushed it out without notice. They promised people who bought it from their own site (which has awful international shipping prices) that they'll send it to them once they have it, but nothing for anyone who bought it elsewhere. Someone on Reddit who bought it on Amazon contacted them about it and they responded that it's Amazon's fault that the listing wasn't updated, not their own (despite them never announcing it at all), and that they'll send them one out of good will.
When I contacted them about it, they never even responded at all.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Space in the budget??? You're a fucking indies game publisher...one of the most recognizable. How do you expect folks to want to buy a game of yours if it's not worth the money to be "fixed"?

Man, Nicalis really are the worst publisher.

On top of all of this, the developer seems to not be in the loop about what's going on. Tyrone presumably chose to break this news in a tweet to someone else? Is this lack of communication between developer and publisher common? I would imagine this is a basic thing to have had shared between them, but...

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On top of all of this, the developer seems to not be in the loop about what's going on. Tyrone presumably chose to break this news in a tweet to someone else? Is this lack of communication between developer and publisher common? I would imagine this is a basic thing to have had shared between them, but...
Since they apparently also announced on Twitter that they cancelled La-Mulana's Wiiware release without telling the devs, wouldn't be surprised at all if it is common for Nicalis.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
It was on my radar but I thought it's wasn't that good? IDK, gonna search rn. Thanks!
It's not great but it's certainly a whole lot better than than nothing, which is what the game discussed in this thread is. Most people's problems with it is the drift mechanics which are a bit heavy and tracks which are a bit too flat. But yes do give it a try, there's a demo on steam even.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth

In the right car it is quite fun. But there are many cars that are just not a good fit for the sometimes rather tightly cornered tracks. Also the game sadly lacks polish. Difficulty in career mode is very uneven, menu-UI is pretty bad as well. Still, in the right car it is a fun game and certainly not a waste of time in a dire market.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Nicalis QA? Lol!

Reminder that when they (months late) patched gamepad play into 1001 Spikes for Wii U, they introduced a game-breaking bug that accidentally remapped your controls, making the game literally unplayable. Last time I checked it was never fixed.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
*shrug*....I really have no response to this other than to say thank god for PCs now a days that can run all of Sega's arcade racers at full speed emulation. This game is no longer needed and the writing was on the wall once Pelikan handed over the reigns to Nicalis. Hell, I don't even think Pelikan himself could do justice to the addictive trademark gameplay and handling Sega's arcade racers are known for. Stick with the originals guys. All the Model 2 and Model 3 emulators need at this point is for someone to emulate network online playability.

Problem with drift stage is that the coder apparently just said fuck it and disappeared leaving the artist alone with an unfinished product. I don't know how things are going now if the artist was able to continue development with somebody else but last I heard he was trying to contact the coder but kept being ignored by him.

What the fuck is wrong with people?

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nicalis started off having a lot of goodwill for being one of the earliest indie publishers, and for bringing Cave Story to the west, but bloody hell that goodwill has been utterly destroyed by rampant mismanagement. I'd recommend for indies to stay the hell away from them.

Hearing what happened to 90s Arcade Racer is depressing as hell.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I can't say I've got a huge amount of faith. It'd be nice if things did work out eventually, though.

At least we've still got Racing Apex, in any case.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Reading this thread, and then reading up on the Umihara Kawase thing... seems like they never said what the "bonus goodies" might imply? The SFC box might just count.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Didn't that become some kind of combat racer with weapons and stuff and not a pure arcade racer?

I actually thought it went the other way. The older footage has guns on the cars, but the newer footage looks more like a traditional racer.

Do we have it though? I just looked it up and last lifesigns of that have been last december, more than half a year ago

I haven't written it off yet. Sometimes developers just like to work quietly.