• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Entrepreneur Andrew Yang is the ninth Democrat to qualify for September's next presidential primary debates.

Yang crossed the threshold on Thursday after a Monmouth poll in Iowa put him at 2% support. He had previously hit the donor requirements of 130,000 unique donors from 20 different states. His campaign previously said he qualified outright based on an earlier poll, but the Democratic National Committee said it wouldn't count that poll.
Candidates must meet both a polling and fundraising requirement: reaching at least 2% in four DNC-approved separate national or early state polls released from June 28-Aug. 28, in addition to getting donations from a minimum of 130,000 unique donors, including 400 unique donors in 20 different states.

lkfEqoy.png

WsweMKu.png

1kg4zFy.png

Yang has gained surprising momentum in the crowded field, edging out senators, governors and members of Congress for a coveted spot in next month's debate in Houston, which will be moderated by ABC News and Univision. Yang has campaigned on a "Freedom Dividend," which would give every American adult $1,000 per month to combat the automation of jobs. He's touted his nerdiness as an asset, quipping in the July debate that "the opposite of Donald Trump is an Asian man who likes math."

Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro remains next closest to qualifying — he's hit the donor marks but still needs one more poll before August 28 to register the required 2%, and in the Monmouth Iowa survey he received less than 1%.
But with Castro inching closer and possibly even Steyer, more than 10 candidates could qualify — meaning there could again be two debates spread across two nights instead of just one. According to the DNC, both September 12 and 13 are reserved for now.

Furfur

Alt account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Hopefully Tulsi gets in so she can go scorched earth on another establishment darling. Bernie and Warren play way too nice.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Even if the field is cut in half, I'd rather have it spread over 2 nights for the time being. 9-10 people on stage is still too much to have any kind of meaningful discussion/debate.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Castro honestly deserves to rank higher than a good handful of the ones who have already made it, but the rest I'm happy to see go home.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Wowzers, are you telling me after CNN gave 40% of its debate airtime to Delaney for some baffling reason, he wasn't the first one confirmed for the next round? What a shocker.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
And these people have I think at least until mid October to qualify for the fourth debate. So in theory, there could be one or two people not in this one that makes the next one.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Excessive browsing and occasional posting on ERA has changed the way I speak
I think they meant she works for a Chris Christie role

just hope her careers ends like his after 2020

a real leftist please primary her for her seat

As a candidate? No. As an attack dog who is willing to go after the records of harris/booker/beto/etc in a way that Bernie or Warren never would? heck yes I want her in the debate lol

It's a really bad look.

Nov 5, 2017
Personally, I think this is just a waste of time and we should all just wait until the Iowa Caucus to figure out who the front runners are.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I see right-wingers liking Yang? What about him do I not know that makes him shitty, because there's gotta be something

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was hoping for the list to be culled down a bit. I feel like this format of, like, the first 2 episodes of The Bachelor, just isn't as valuable the longer into the season you go.

Why do I see right-wingers liking Yang? What about him do I not know that makes him shitty, because there's gotta be something

Yang got a lot of populist right wing support from the same types of people who got on board with Trump in 2016 but have become dissolutioned about him not changing/breaking/resetting the system. The so called "Yang Gang" shared a lot of The_Donald crossovers from 2016. It's not entirely dissimilar of ~12% of Sanders voters in the primary voting for Trump in the general election. There are people who are out of the political spectrum, either from dissolutionment or ignorance, and so when they see someone who is campaigning on challenging the system with what they see as transformative ideas, whether its Sanders, Trump, or Yang, they get on board without thinking critically about what those changes mean.

As some Trump -> Yang supporters put it in some Atlantic or Daily Beast piece a few months ago, "Trump shows us how the system is fucked so we may as well get $1000/mo" (paraphrased, I'll have to find the article). Now, I don't think that Sanders is remotely close to Trump or Yang (notably, Sanders has been a professional politician for ~30 years now), but there's a bead of outsider populism among all three that appeals to dejected, dissolutioned, "tear down the system" types, "Doomers" is the phrase I think.

It's also why Yang polls highly in more extremist communities. Yang will poll in the 0% range for typical voters polled in general elections. But he'll poll in the 5-8% range in far left or far right partisan communities.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Jonathan Allen @jonallendc

.@TulsiGabbard does not respond to requests for comment about Neo-Nazi donations to her campaign -- or whether they will be returned -- from @Bencjacobs. Daily Stormer took credit for getting her qualified for first debates. https://jewishinsider.com/2019/08/neo-nazis-boast-we-got-tulsi-in-the-debates/ …

2:20 PM - Aug 5, 2019

Gross

Yang with the H3H3 podcast bump
Also gross

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's made some comments white supremacists love about immigration

Also this is too many people that qualify. When you have this many people qualify you know you set the standards too low.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Debate after they should cut to 5, with no specific requirements. Just take the top 5.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gillibrand getting cut in the first round of cuts must sting so much for her. I would have sympathy but her terrible Israeli and sexual harassment stances post presidential announcement happened.

Hopefully Gabbard doesn't make it but Castro and Inslee do.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
His UBI is actually a horrid rendition that cuts a lot of services and has a 1k a month cap and his immigration rhetoric is pretty fucking gross.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Tulsi makes the cut so Harris and the other candidates can publicly end her whole career with receipts on how much of a scumbag she is.