• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the day it happened and I almost missed school cause I wanted to keep watching the news. I was in 6th grade at the time. Understandably, it was a confusing time and some parents didn't bring their kids or picked them up early from school.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Watched. I remember having to go to work that day, retail on the west coast and it SAS strange. And then the liquor store next to us had Sikh that had to put up with garbage people.

Rip to those of 9/11

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
This was probably the first time I had ever experienced true fear as a kid. I was too young to really understand what was going on and that fear compounded by the confusion/panic of authority was palpable.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
It made people insanely blood thirsty for war and if fueled violent racism towards anyone of middle eastern decent. I mean, as recent as Obama's presidency, being Muslim was turned into being perceived as evil. 9/11 is a huge reason for that. This country did everything it could to throw Islam and Middle Easterners under the bus.

Bush Jr took advantage of this and invaded Iraq.

It was also opened a window that the government took, to have carte blanche surveillance over all of it's citizens.

It certainly did not make this country better in any way, shape, or form.

I agree. I remember it still. I was in High School and it seemed like America had turned insane in the aftermath, including high schoolers around me.

I was a budding antiwar student after learning about Vietnam, lie started wars and regime changes, the lies of the first Gulf war, etc. Being antiwar then meant you were a 'conspiracy' person. And yet Bush and Co committed a lie as it was told to go into other countries.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Usually I just stay away from 9/11 imagery because I don't feel like there's any real benefit to myself personally to relive a collective trauma like that, especially since I was never in a position to do anything significant about the geopolitical response in the aftermath. I'm not going to "forget;" the memories and details are burned into my brain.

But I am mad today, because the senselessness of it all is perfectly clear now that the "war" is over. What was the fucking point to any of this? What are we as a country going to take away from this going forward, that after one of the biggest terror attacks in history, we flushed an incalculable amount of money, time, and human life down the toilet for two fucking decades, only for... the Taliban to just take over Afghanistan anyway?

Seriously, that's it. Everything about this timeline of events is a fucking joke. The victims died for fuck all. Our soldiers died or returned broken for fuck all. So many Afghans, Pakistanis, Iranians, and others died for fuck all. Those of us who suffered under the blight of the nationalistic and racist backlash suffered for fuck all. The people responsible for this suffering are not going to see anything remotely resembling justice, and considering the toll of the devastation and crimes across these 20 years I don't think you could meter enough justice that would make things okay anyway. Ultimately, we had every opportunity and advantage to create a better world than what these poor people were forced to leave behind, and we deliberately didn't.

I'm so fucking pissed off I don't even know what to do with myself.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Still remember exactly where I was when this appaling shit went down. Was sitting on the train after being laid off from a job I loved and heard people talking over on their phone about a plane hitting a skyscraper. It feels just as surreal then as now.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I believe I was in 3rd or 4th grade at the time when this happened. The teacher had the classroom TV on the news and we saw the towers coming down. Since I was young I didn't quite understand the impact of it, but once I developed more on an emotional level I realized just how tragic it was.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It did unify the country but instead of passing meaningful reforms, we used once in a 100 years opportunity to go kill brown people.

As someone who had family and friends harassed, threatened, beaten in America. We felt no unification and I imagine the millions of others who shared the religion didn't either.

Unless you want to argue it unified people in their hatred of brown and black American Muslims, Sikh, and anyone who looked remotely like they could be Muslim

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Memories of that and all the carnage are why I'm still not able to laugh at any 9/11 jokes still, and why I can't help but not feel as "cringe" at all those political cartoons. Like its not a feeling thats existed to this day, despite Covid and all sorts of other tragedies and bullshit going on.

The sense of watching a LOT of people die live on TV is just...fuck.

I get it. I don't really find jokes about tragedies funny but I know, for some people, it's cathartic. It's a way to deal with trauma. I understand it.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Usually I just stay away from 9/11 imagery because I don't feel like there's any real benefit to myself personally to relive a collective trauma like that, especially since I was never in a position to do anything significant about the geopolitical response in the aftermath. I'm not going to "forget;" the memories and details are burned into my brain.

But I am mad today, because the senselessness of it all is perfectly clear now that the "war" is over. What was the fucking point to any of this? What are we as a country going to take away from this going forward, that after one of the biggest terror attacks in history, we flushed an incalculable amount of money, time, and human life down the toilet for two fucking decades, only for... the Taliban to just take over Afghanistan anyway?

Seriously, that's it. Everything about this timeline of events is a fucking joke. The victims died for fuck all. Our soldiers died or returned broken for fuck all. So many Afghans, Pakistanis, Iranians, and others died for fuck all. Those of us who suffered under the blight of the nationalistic and racist backlash suffered for fuck all. The people responsible for this suffering are not going to see anything remotely resembling justice, and considering the toll of the devastation and crimes across these 20 years I don't think you could meter enough justice that would make things okay anyway. Ultimately, we had every opportunity and advantage to create a better world than what these poor people were forced to leave behind, and we deliberately didn't.

Come on now, you got the bad guy in the end! I remember Obama came out and made a really cool, catchy soundbite statement!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Come on now, you got the bad guy in the end! I remember Obama came out and made a really cool, catchy soundbite statement!
I know you're being sarcastic but you know what's also mind blowing. The Taliban offered to give him up to Bush and he didn't take the deal.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I feel like Gore would have been prepared and it might have possibly been prevented. After all, Clinton did warn Bush and Bush did jack shit about it until after it happened and even then did the wrong fucking thing and fucked the whole world for the next 20 years. I fucking hate Republicans.

I don't know if it's better that it happened so early in the day because had it happened later on the towers might have been a lot more full and the streets would have a lot more people. It could have been much worse. But it really should never have happened.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I know you're being sarcastic but you know what's also mind blowing. The Taliban offered to give him up to Bush and he didn't take the deal.

That's not what happened. I know in hindsight we should've avoided a protracted war, but that is a fiction. They did technically offer but under terms so wild no sane person would accept.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's astonishing that this tragedy occurred 20 years ago. It's difficult for me to remember exactly what I did that day.

This day still feels traumatic to witness. :(

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I feel like Gore would have been prepared and it might have possibly been prevented. After all, Clinton did warn Bush and Bush did jack shit about it until after it happened and even then did the wrong fucking thing and fucked the whole world for the next 20 years. I fucking hate Republicans.

I don't know if it's better that it happened so early in the day because had it happened later on the towers might have been a lot more full and the streets would have a lot more people. It could have been much worse. But it really should never have happened.
Doubt. Clinton had chances to get Osama, but never bothered too. Majority of planning happened between 1999 and 2000. The CIA and FBI had intelligence. They were warned by other countries. Nothing was done. Bush was also warned on August 6th, 2001 about future attacks.

9/11 was a result of failures from both administrations. 9/11 would've happened under Al Gore either way. Response would've been different, though.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt. Clinton had chances to get Osama, but never bothered too. Majority of planning happened between 1999 and 2000. The CIA and FBI had intelligence. They were warned by other countries. Nothing was done. Bush was also warned on August 6th, 2001 about future attacks.

9/11 was a result of failures from both administrations. 9/11 would've happened under Al Gore either way. Response would've been different, though.

This is somehow the first I've heard of this. Wow.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Everyone in awhile I'll check out the ATC/FAA/NORAD audio tapes. From the initial understanding of what is going on in the air, to the military scrambling jets.

intense

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It's about to play on the history channel now if anyone's interested

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I was 13 years old and they rolled in a television for us to watch the news at school, and we got to go home early.

This was in Belgium.

Oct 25, 2017
New Yorker here. Was only in 6th grade, and the teachers didn't actually tell us until the end of the day. But leading up to dismissal time, name after name was read on the loud speaker as parents came to pick up their kids. The day normally ended at 2pm but they held us until 6pm. Finally the school buses took us home.

Almost every year I still get nightmares about that day. I'm either in a plane that crashes or I'm in the city and the building's windows all burst and shatter. For years after I couldn't even look at the sky when there was a plane flying.

I can't imagine what it's like for survivors that were in the actual vicinity.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You basically summed up my thoughts. Obviously Al Qaeda and those who assisted them should have faced major consequences. But the lack of long term planning, along with the pointless diversion to Iraq and installing puppet dictatorships under the guise of democracy made it all for nothing.