• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
8k gaming is pointless as fuck. I'm sure the 0.1% of TV owners that buy into a 100+" 8k tv will like it though. Isn't gonna happen there is far better things to push then resolution at this point in time

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
8k gaming is a party trick for tech nerds with money and probably will remain so for another decade, at least. 4k gaming itself has barely started to pick up traction. They're not going to pump out a $2000 console that prioritizes displays that like .1% of the market has.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Even at 4k native rendering is becoming obsolete. At 8k it would be blatantly stupid.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who supported the move to 1080p,1440p, and to a lesser degree 4k, 8k is not worth it at all. The bandwidth required is nuts, and with new visual features like RT there's way better places to invest GPU resources than higher pixel density. Consoles won't be doing it this gen, even with a refresh outside of a possibility of indies with extremely simplistic design. 1440/1800 stuff looks great with good upscaling on 4k displays, and I expect that will get a bit better over the course of this gen.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thai thread is like a thread from 4 years ago , except 4K is now 8K

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If it happens with mid-gen consoles and with RDNA 3 which will be multiGPU GPU like upcoming Hopper series 4000 and past Voodoos( there are even patents for RDNA3 multiGPU GPUs and double PS5 SOCs) it will just target dynamic 8K or checkerboard 8K or temporal injected 8K, like past mid-gen consoles and 4K.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
But 4K makes a noticeable difference sometimes. To see the difference to 8k you have to use a ginormous TV and/or sit uncomfortably close. No?
That's literally what people said about 4K
And 1080p

and it's what everyone will say about 16k or whatever comes next, whilst everyone uses 8K screens :P

2028 will be a thread like this except it will be people saying 16k's a waste and Pc gamers asking why they don't make 800hz 7k IPS screens in 45:9 ratio.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Unless there's a big boost in upscaling in line with dlss and a significant drop in 8k TV prices I can't see either console trying to get there this gen

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
And 1080p

and it's what everyone will say about 16k or whatever comes next, whilst everyone uses 8K screens :P

2028 will be a thread like this except it will be people saying 16k's a waste and Pc gamers asking why they don't make 800hz 7k IPS screens in 45:9 ratio.
Sure. But our eyes can only see so many pixels, once the dpi gets too high it's wasted. I'm pretty sure my 55" 4K TV already isn't close enough to notice 4K. Games in 1440p look just as good from my couch. I could buy a bigger TV, but I think 65" already is the most people want to have hanging on their walls?

wide TVs could be cool though!

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony goes on a similar upgrade path from PS5 to PS5 Pro as they did from PS4 to PS4 Pro, then we could see a 72 CU RDNA 4 based GPU in the PS5 Pro in 2023 or 2024.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
8K would be an incredible waste of computing power. We are way past the point of diminishing return when it comes to resolution. FPS, LOD, RT and scene complexity improvement will provide better overall experience than just resolution bump.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And 1080p

Can't say I agree with this at all.

The law of diminishing returns is already in effect with 4K, let alone freaking 8K.

4K always had potential for home viewing, but 8K is literally purely just a marketing checkpoint. It does nothing for home viewers at any screen 75" or below at normal viewing distances.

They've even done double-blind studies with Native 8K content on 80"+ TVs with people sitting like 5 feet away and they STILL couldn't point out the difference between 8K and 4K. There is literally no point. It's not a "haha, that's what you said last time!" type scenario.

EDIT - Here's the study: 88" 8K OLED, Native 8K content vs 4K upscaled content, seating distance of 5 feet away: https://www.techhive.com/article/3529913/8k-vs-4k-tvs-most-consumers-cannot-tell-the-difference.html

Virtually zero difference could be perceived. And this is in absolutely OPTIMAL viewing conditions.

Last edited:

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I would prefer instead an AMD hardware answer to DLSS that enables higher end textures, geometry, LOD detail, and higher ray tracing, 21:9 aspects, and other high end graphics settings or higher frame rates.

Don't care for 8k at all, and as others have pointed out, it isn't even realistic on $1,500 hardware running games made in 2018.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
But 4K makes a noticeable difference sometimes. To see the difference to 8k you have to use a ginormous TV and/or sit uncomfortably close. No?

Actually 8K would be useful for desktop displays in the 40-50" range so I guess smaller TV sizes. It would allow for excellent desktop space and text clarity while letting you game at integer scaled 1080p, 1440p and 4K which would not have issues of extra blur from scaling.

Native 8K gaming is just not happening anytime soon. If I try to play a current game like RDR2 at 8K on my 2080 Ti, it runs at sub-30 fps. A 3080 might get you to 30 fps but that's still an awful experience when dropping to 4K gives you a solid 60 even on my 2080 Ti.

Native resolution whether it's 4K or 8K is just a stupid target. The future is dynamic resolution and AI upscaling. When games are in movement it can be hard to tell a difference between 1440p and 4K as it is and AI upscaling like DLSS blurs that distinction even further where it's hard to tell the difference even in still scenes.

8K for TVs is pretty pointless when the amount of 8K media is basically limited to YouTube test videos. That may change in the future but at the moment there is absolutely no reason to buy 8K anything.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Actually 8K would be useful for desktop displays in the 40-50" range so I guess smaller TV sizes. It would allow for excellent desktop space and text clarity while letting you game at integer scaled 1080p, 1440p and 4K which would not have issues of extra blur from scaling.

Native 8K gaming is just not happening anytime soon. If I try to play a current game like RDR2 at 8K on my 2080 Ti, it runs at sub-30 fps. A 3080 might get you to 30 fps but that's still an awful experience when dropping to 4K gives you a solid 60 even on my 2080 Ti.

Native resolution whether it's 4K or 8K is just a stupid target. The future is dynamic resolution and AI upscaling. When games are in movement it can be hard to tell a difference between 1440p and 4K as it is and AI upscaling like DLSS blurs that distinction even further where it's hard to tell the difference even in still scenes.

8K for TVs is pretty pointless when the amount of 8K media is basically limited to YouTube test videos. That may change in the future but at the moment there is absolutely no reason to buy 8K anything.

uh yeah. I would want an 8K display for work 🤩

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see so many answers it's ruffly about 100 against 8k and 0 for.

I think anyone reading this thread wondering if it's ok to buy a 4k tv for gaming should feel at ease :)

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k is just now starting to become mainstream. Talking about 8k is just absurd.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
8k is a completely useless resolution. You already have a lot of people who can't differentiate between 4k and 1080p, no one except for the most hardcore of enthousiasts is going to move to 8k anytime soon.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I just hope that Samsung doesn't limit their MicroLED panels to 8K and we see those in affordable 4K configurations

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Series X already runs some games at 6k (and Falconeer was rumored to have an 8k mode at one time, guess they dropped that to just a 4k/60 and 1800p/120). The 6k games look like CGI they're so clean downsampled to a 4k set.

The system is capable of 8k on less demanding games, I wouldn't mind some 8k games that are slower on the action running 30fps. Makes sense not to push to 8k with people not having the TVs for it though.

Last edited:

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I think lighting, rather than resolution, is the next frontier. Better global ray tracing, better animation, better AI... all these things matter than pixels at this point.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Not happening this gen, by the end of this gen we'll probably see 4k finally reach a mass level of adoption (>80% of games playing on 4k tvs)

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I recently bought a LG CX and I can barely tell the difference in resolution between that and my old 1080p TV. I even bought hd blu-rays to see what all the fuss was about. Most people don't even care to own disc media or in a hurry to upgrade to 4k TVs. Also a 3090 can barely run Cyberpunk at max settings at 4k natively. Adaption will be extremely slow if ever. There IS a point of "good enough" and I think 4k is that unless you are using a massive screen. Not to mention the massive computational power and storage space you would need to film and edit 8k+ footage, I just don't see it happening any time soon.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if they'd waste time with a focus on upgrades for resolutions past 4k; using that extra power for performance, better graphics and better RT sounds like the smarter idea. Machine Learning possibilities are also going to be on the table with a solid upgrade.

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Rez upgrades made sense for me personally up to 55'' which is what I'm using now.
8k would do nothing for me, so I hope they delay that as long as possible in favor of either FPS (which I prefer) or overall fidelity.

Honestly, since getting a HDMI 2.1 screen and connecting PS5/XSX and PC to it, I've gotten so used to 120fps it's really hard to play anything less, or at least it takes getting used to.

I have no problem playing 1080p still, which says a lot about what really affects having a great experience.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edited my post because I googled it to make sure and remembered The Touryst was 6k. I thought The Falconeer was rendering at 8k, but I can't find any confirmation on that now.
It's not. 4K/60 or 1800p/120.

And your edit is still wrong, because there's no 8K games on Series X.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can't say I agree with this at all.

The law of diminishing returns is already in effect with 4K, let alone freaking 8K.

4K always had potential for home viewing, but 8K is literally purely just a marketing checkpoint. It does nothing for home viewers at any screen 75" or below at normal viewing distances.

They've even done double-blind studies with Native 8K content on 80"+ TVs with people sitting like 5 feet away and they STILL couldn't point out the difference between 8K and 4K. There is literally no point. It's not a "haha, that's what you said last time!" type scenario.

EDIT - Here's the study: 88" 8K OLED, Native 8K content vs 4K upscaled content, seating distance of 5 feet away: https://www.techhive.com/article/3529913/8k-vs-4k-tvs-most-consumers-cannot-tell-the-difference.html

Virtually zero difference could be perceived. And this is an absolutely OPTIMAL viewing conditions.

Of course there is diminishing returns, but I'm sure as them goes by and the optics that movies are shot with increase in resolution and movies are rendered out in such a way they aren't trying have have the perceived look as older movies and HDR increases the contrast of image - even higher resolutions will be more perceptible.

In fact this study even supports this, the scene with the highest Maxfall and MaxCLL was the one that was recognised as looking better , even on a display that can only display a fraction of that.

It'll be interesting to see this in future on a better display