• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't here that much talk about 8k gaming and I'm just curious about the hiveminds general thoughts and speculations.

So do you think that we will have 8k gaming soon and do you think that sony and Xbox will uppgrade their system (with pro versions) with 8k in mind?

Ever since our first hd ready 720p tvs arrived there has always been people that said that enough is enough, we don't need higher resolution. Personality I don't see that much difference between 1080p and 4k on my 55" 4k screen but the difference is there. But is it really worth the processing power to go to 8k?

When the last generation console came they where sort of underpowered compare to this generation so that a pro version was sort of more justified and 4k sort of a mainstream benchmark but will 8k be equally intressting?

Are there other thing that would effect the transition to 8k gaming? DLSS or other deep learning neural network could perhaps make it easier to reach 8k? On the other hand perhaps the pandemic and the ridiculous lack of this gen consoles is effecting the plans for pro versions?

What do you guys think?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
So do you think that we will have 8k gaming soon and do you think that sony and Xbox will uppgrade their system (with pro versions) with 8k in mind?
No. 8k gaming isn't a thing on $1,500 graphics cards right now. It's not happening. Not this generation and probably not the next.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The only way to reach 8K Gaming is with aggressive DLSS and a U$1500 GPU. Other than that, 8K displays are still years away from becoming popular (if they ever do).

I wouldn't expect mid-gen refreshes to aim for 8K.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
8K is a stupid marketing gimmick that will never prevail.
There is zero content and that won't change for a long, long time, heck, even 4K only half arrived so far, like what, 5 years in?
And you can cut this half into a second half, with "4K movies" mostly still being mastered in and upscaled from 2K instead of being real 4K". And everything under 8K will automatically look worse to some degree on a 8K TV since it isn't native. Buying such a TV (which you can already do) is literally throwing away money.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Current high-end gpus can barely hit 8k/30fps, let alone 8k/60fps, without significant cutbacks and DLSS.

Current consoles (XSX and PS5) can't always hit 4k.

I think it'll be one or two, maybe even three, generations more until consoles can do 8k/30fps.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Can't see 8K gaming being a thing this gen. It requires way more power than these consoles can deliver.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Native 8K gaming won't be a thing any time soon.

Current gen consoles won't be native 4K even in most next gen titles. So any mid-gen upgrades are more likely to bring native 4K and things like expanded SSDs than target 8K.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
4k is barely going to happen this gen. Mid gen refresh (Which I don't believe is going to happen this time) will aim to solidify native 4k/60FPS. 8K isn't happening for a long time.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Can we not speculate? These consoles barely run 4K content and there isn't enough of them to buy throughout the next year and we are speculating about pro upgrades already?

8K is pointless. 4K is mostly point less for games. There is no need to chase resolution. 1440p with DLSS is just. As good if not better than native 4K and half the cost.

Oct 29, 2017
I think we may not see PS5 Pro and Xbox Series XX. The adoption of 4K televisions was a natural inflection point for a refresh of underpowered machines in the middle of the generation. I don't see 8K playing that same role. Moving from 4K 30 fps to 4K 60 fps as standard for game performance might be a nice goal for a mid-gen refresh, but I don't think the average gamer on the street sees framerate as a selling point the same way they might see resolution.

If Sony and MS can find an angle to sell more consoles, they'll do it, but I certainly don't think 8K will be that angle. Maybe it'll be ray tracing.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
For PS5 Pro/Series whatever all I want is 2 times the power and a DLSS equivalent....enough to get me 4k/60 with good raytracing with all titles.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will get mid-gen refreshes, but the focus will be on AMD's DLSS competitor along with significant improvements with Ray-Tracing.

Probably around 2023/2024, with both using RDNA 4 based GPUs with ~18 TF.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
8K is Soooo far off. A couple of generations away if at all. We'll be lucky to get Native 4K with the mid gen refresh.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the horsepower was there, I don't know if there would be the incentive. I think both consumers and developers would get more bang for their buck if that kind of power was instead directed into the pursuit of additional visuals and frame rate. People will welcome 4K60 long before they will desire 8K anything.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I expect pro models to focus on ray tracing and frame rates with amd's version of dlss to deliver higher graphical settings as well. Not expecting any sort of res improvement.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
many people already think that even 4k is a waste of resources, i dont think consoles will be targeting 8k until maybe the ps7 or the ps8

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I think a PS5 Pro makes a ton of sense, but not for 8k

If you look at the amount of games that have to halve the resolution or framerate to get raytracing or halve the resolution to get 120fps in... a 2x GPU would be an easy sell and wouldn't disrupt the base model all that much.

Demon's Souls Quality mode at 60fps.
Sider-man miles Morales with RT and 4K at 60 fps
Call of Duty at >1080p at 120fps
etc,

Basically you would get to have RT or 120fps without the "penalties". From a psychological view, you don't have to give anything up by having to select fidelity mode or performance mode. Just one mode that has it all.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Why bother with 8K? The visual improvement over 4K is almost nonexistant unless your TV is the size of a movie theater. I'd much rather the focus be on improving RT performance if there will be any mid gen refreshes.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can barely run 4k/60 w ray tracing on current high power cards without DLSS, let alone lower power consoles. There is zero chance mid gen refreshes of consoles will be able to actually push 8k with ray racing. Heck I think by the PS6 it might still be a stretch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
8K is hilariously out of reach for current consumer-priced consoles. If a mid-gen refresh happens, it's going to be 4K/60 plus the highest possible textures.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Most people are still working their way to 4K TVs, and other than hardcore gamers, I don't know anyone with a 4K monitor. 8K is a long way from being the target of a home console, I suspect.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna happen if they do a mid gen refresh. The gpu requirements for such a device don't really exist today and if they do in 3-4 years they'll cost $1500. The best we have is the 3090 and it really isn't an 8K GPU.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
8K isn't happening. A good proportion of major motion pictures today still aren't finished in 4K (a lot of 4K Blu-rays use a 2K master). There would need to be demand from more than the gaming industry for 8K screens to become widely available.

Any forthcoming console is going to focus on things like framerates and better performance with RT.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Mid-gen refreshes will likely focus on big ray tracing improvements and DLSS-type enhancements. 8K ain't coming anywhere near soon

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think the next round of Pro consoles will be focused on better Ray Tracing performance with solid 4k/60 fps.

I think the case where 8K becomes important is VR, but the headsets aren't even close to getting 8K displays in them at a reasonable price.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Those consoles will be good upgrades if they can deliver on current gen at 4k 60fps with raytracing and great fidelity in a few years

xem

Oct 31, 2017
whatever they decide to go for I just hope they continue to give us 60fps options. I'm loving most games on PS5

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like we had this thread not long ago..

Anywho as had been said many times let's try to get to 4K/60 with Ray Tracing first mmkay.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
4K is a waste of resources, 8k is a crazy waste. Yes they'll do them and market them as 8k.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I barely notice the difference between 1080P and 4K on my 55" TV (biggest noticeable difference when I got this TV was brought on by HDR) or my friend's 65" TV. Unless we are talking about massive TVs or cases where the user is sitting very close to the TV, I would much rather they focus on other areas in terms of the GPU. I certainly do not expect 8K to be a major feature by mid-gen (maybe a few games will support it though).

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Not going to happen. No one cares about 8k. If the consoles see a mid gen refresh which is unlikely then it will be for custom ray tracing hardware not 8k.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You're gonna see note-worthy AAA games struggling with 4K on the PS5/XBOX SX this gen (30FPS, etc.), you probably ain't seeing 8K as a standard not even on the PS6 lol

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
You can hardly see any game running at native 4k at 60fps. Then theres ray tracing. Even rtx 3090 cant do anything at 8k. True native 8k gaming is at least a 7-8 years away.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 isn't even consistently hitting native 4K. I think a PS5 Pro will do 8K just about as well as the PS4 Pro did 4K (so almost never). I don't think there's a reason to even pursue it at this point. 8K displays probably aren't going to become mainstream in the middle of the generation like 4K did last gen, and that processing power could be much better spent elsewhere.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Should be very nice for games using flat shaded polygons like Star Fox.
In those cases the old good MSAA trick for 'upscaling' work amazingly well.