• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I just did some reading and I'm surprised 8chan was formed in 2013 because I lurked 4chan in the aughts (between '06 and '10) and could have sworn 8chan existed back then and was mostly referenced mockingly as the place you go to find CP. I know 420chan was around then. Maybe my one or two forays back to see if 4chan had "gotten better" (ugh I was stupid) were more recent than I recall. Just weird to see its formation discussed in direct relation to GamerGate.

Speaking of 4chan, add my voice to those calling for its closure. I was active on /b/ when the VTech shooting happened. I remember the overall mood & reactions surrounding it. Doesn't matter if this shit is isolated to /pol/ now. Shoulda been nuked from the 'net ages ago.

/pol/ as a containment board has never worked and never will work. Within a few months they were spamming any of the semi popular boards with their vitriol till it became normal. The owner is a racist himself(he bans what he considers "black memes") and recently tried to split the site up to 4chan and 4channel to get more ad revenue. Not sure how it worked out or how it would effect shutting the place down.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Now we wait for them to do something to get 4chan deplatformed
I'm hoping that seeing 8chan shut down spooked the guys in charge. There are now clear consequences for fostering a community of violence and hate.

I think self-preservation is a stronger motivator than conscience for the type of people that run a site like 4chan.

Oct 27, 2017
Lorne Lanning follows them on twitter. He was the only follower and I follow nearly everyone in the industry who follows them.

Had a scroll through his likes page and not really pleasant to read he likes post supporting trump, Colin Molarity, James Wood and gun rights.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Now take down 4chan, Breitbart, and Kiwi Farms.
The internet will be 10% less shit.
Amazingly enough, this topic is the first I've heard of Kiwi Farms and looking at the info on it now, I'm shocked that even it wasn't closed before 8chan. It insane the places that web hosting sites host, tolerate, and defend. I mean dear god.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fighting these sites is a pointless endeavor as long as youtube/twitch/facebook/twitter refuse to moderate
I'd argue that going after these sites moves the needle in terms of what is acceptable and should be done.
You know, like they always whine about slippery slopes, let's actually move progressively down that slope to make it a generally accepted truth that fucking Nazis should be shut down.

Over the past 5 years, the far right has excelled at showing how quickly the Overton window could shift, it's time to push it the other way.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Amazingly enough, this topic is the first I've heard of Kiwi Farms and looking at the info on it now, I'm shocked that even it wasn't closed before 8chan. It insane the places that web hosting sites host, tolerate, and defend. I mean dear god.
Yeah, kiwifarms are proper sick bastards. They pretty much stalk people they deem "lulcows" or whatever it's called. It's fucking creepy as hell.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lorne Lanning follows them on twitter. He was the only follower and I follow nearly everyone in the industry who follows them.

Had a scroll through his likes page and not really pleasant to read he likes post supporting trump, Colin Molarity, James Wood and gun rights.

Really?! Hugely disappointing I've been a lifelong fan of the Oddworld series. Also Lorne supporting people like that, seems to contradict a lot of the messages the Oddworld games say.

Also what is kiwi farms?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
User Banned (1 month): Inflammatory Whataboutism; Accumulated Infractions
Just wondering why we're all feeling so high and mighty after nearly 30% of people in this forum voted yes on the question of whether they'd be willing to sentence anybody to eternal damnation.

30% of Era comprises people I would prefer not to share a planet with. They want to commit unspeakable crimes against those they disapprove of (being Republicans is one such trigger.)

8chan is certainly a problem, but utterly vile and unconscionable ideas won't go away if we ignore the poison in every heart.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also what is kiwi farms?
Website dedicated to stalking people on the internet.
Just wondering why we're all feeling so high and mighty after nearly 30% of people in this forum voted yes on the question of whether they'd be willing to sentence anybody to eternal damnation.

30% of Era comprises people I would prefer not to share a planet with. They want to commit unspeakable crimes against those they disapprove of (being Republicans is one such trigger.)

8chan is certainly a problem, but utterly vile and unconscionable ideas won't go away if we ignore the poison in every heart.
Are you seriously comparing voting yes on an impossible abstract hypothetical punishment to shit like 8chan?

As someone who voted no, please get some damn perspective.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017

Someone ain't good with stats.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You think 267 people is 30% of this forum?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When you say someone should burn in Hell, you're actually just as bad as a Nazi.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Where's the /s on the end of the post.

Are you really comparing that thread to a site that routinely shelters and cheers on mass shooters?

Yes, we are exactly like the site that has had three mass murder manifestos posted in less than a year. I have seen the light.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Website dedicated to stalking people on the internet.
Not just stalking, bullying and harassment and of the most vulnerable people. They have a history of driving people to suicide, mass flagging any calls for help on their social media so that no one sees it. It's as vile as 8chan was.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Very stupid comparison

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, take a step back if you're going to compare 200 users voting in a dumb poll about a theoretical situation to real world Nazis who go out and kill real people.
Your lack of perspective makes your post come across as disgusting, if not defensive of said Nazis.

(Hint: if there are so few answers, it's because most of us absolutely saw that thread title and walked past it, that's where the actual majority probably lies)

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish

Last I checked Era has been linked to *checks notes* zero mass shootings, so maybe slow your roll.

Oct 26, 2017

30% of 47,271 members?
Yeeeeeeeah I doubt that, buddy.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Christ almighty. "It might rile them up!" After literally dozens of people have been murdered.

I know. Fucking absurd logic. They're already mad and "riled up". Otherwise they wouldn't gravitate to those boards in the first place. That's one of the prerequisites! They literally can't do anything worse beyond nurturing potential future mass murders. This is the worst case scenario.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whaat, Lanning is a repub? That's surprising coming from someone who made a game series whose core theme is literally about how unchecked capitalism is destroying the natural world. Really sucks to hear that he's that way. Never thought the creator of Oddworld of all things would be a Trump thumper.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Good riddance. I hope it stays down permanently. Watching them switch hosts every few hours in a Sisyphean effort to stay online could also be amusing for a time.

"September will see a hurricane"

Man what an amazing prediction after we had four hurricanes last September.

No, man, it's like metaphorical and shit. Unless an actual hurricane hits in September, in which case checkmate atheists.

Q anon devotees are fools.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

From romanticising sex with teenagers and downplaying concerns of abuse in relationships involving them, to eye-rolling a video of a woman detailing her mental health problems and now this.

Why is this old self-absorbed twat still here?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Are you seriously comparing voting yes on an impossible abstract hypothetical punishment to shit like 8chan?

As someone who voted no, please get some damn perspective.
Where's the /s on the end of the post.

Are you really comparing that thread to a site that routinely shelters and cheers on mass shooters?
Yes, we are exactly like the site that has had three mass murder manifestos posted in less than a year. I have seen the light.
Last I checked Era has been linked to *checks notes* zero mass shootings, so maybe slow your roll.

Yes. I'm seriously suggesting that we should examine the evil within ourselves before we go out to fight the evil in the world. If you oppose 8chan but think it would be just fine to put a generic Republican in the oven on 230C for ten minutes, you're no ally of mine.

Oct 30, 2017

You actually think Hell is a real and tangible place and that the 30% of this forum that would send horrible people to such a hypothetical and nonexistent place is a poor reflection of their character? For real?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes. I'm seriously suggesting that we should examine the evil within ourselves before we go out to fight the evil in the world. If you oppose 8chan but think it would be just fine to put a generic Republican in the oven on 230C for ten minutes, you're no ally of mine.
"Ally"

You derail threads about mental health, aggressively demand no-one side eye 60yo's chasing teenagers and talk about how beautiful young bodies are. You're an ally to no-one. You're only here to garner attention and whine about the young while lusting over them and telling people how 'vigorous' lovers teenagers can be.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Really?! Hugely disappointing I've been a lifelong fan of the Oddworld series. Also Lorne supporting people like that, seems to contradict a lot of the messages the Oddworld games say.

Also what is kiwi farms?

Kiwi farms is a forum dedicated to doxxing and harassing individuals. The really terrible part is they like to target transgender people("troons"), people with autism/aspergers, "SJWS" , and feminists.

Basically, they're targeting what fascists/white nationalists/channers call "degenerates". They are some Altright Lolcows, and actual pedophiles,but the main focus is on these kind of people.

Sample "Lolcow" Thread titles

Laura Kate Dale / Laura K Buzz / Joshua Dale / Laurawesome / joshany12 - Fake "leaker", autistic tranny, popcorn fucker
Nick Hazelbaker / Aeromatic / WindowsMilennium2000 / Nicholas Foxworth / Fedorov / Misato DX4 - Bipolar Waifufag Trap, Burning Bridges at Every Opportunity, Blackmailer
Lee Goldson / Barneyfag / x86x2 / Revved - Barney Hatewatching Gigantic Autist & Aspiring 4chan Janitorial
nattycomic / stephen a. winchell / @sawinchell - sjw webcomic about beating up people who hold doors for women. VROOM VROOM!

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry mods but I gotta threadwhine. Why on Earth is "old man in the Philippines owned two pig farms, is down to one now" threadworthy?

/s
Isn't that two left? The guy claims he owns 2channel IIRC.

Your shitty trolling shows. Yeah, I know, I should know better and ignore you.
The funniest thing about your eternal punishment fake outrage is that the worst offender in this case would be god. Consider a strongly worded letter.