• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oh wow that's actually happening.

And of course there's replies on Twitter howling about how the "manifesto" was never on 8chan (wrong) and "why aren't you going after Facebook and Twitter?!" (of course, this ignores that politicians on both sides have been going after social media for a good whoile now precisely because of these sorts of issues (alongside stuff like election interference), and social media platforms have been trying to take down extremist content quickly (aside from Twitter, whose boss has been rather reluctant to deplatform people because he doesn't want to fuel accusations of anti-conservative bias), but content moderation are scale is a difficult task at best, and that's without the aforementioned wrinkle of conservatives howling about bias against them). Bleh.

Oct 27, 2017
I posted on Twitter about shutting down the Amazon book store that funnels money to 8chan and I got responses from a Qanon follower, an anti-vaxxer, and a gun nut. Beautiful. Botometer claims they are not bots. Two of them responded with claims of censorship, while the other liked my tweet for some reason lol

That's like the start of the most horrible joke ever.

An Qanon follower, a gub nut and an Anti-vaxxer walk in to an bar.

Oct 27, 2017
And the punchline is "Trump is president".

source.gif

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Two fucking weeks for *checks notes* expressing that being the target of a hate site is stressful and affects how much they're willing to share.

Just delete my account Morrigan

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Two fucking weeks for *checks notes* expressing that being the target of a hate site is stressful and affects how much they're willing to share.

Your notes are pretty bad. If everyone gets to make just one more reply after a modpost we're going to be 300 pages in on the thread. The banned even stated that they had read the modpost and were deliberately ignoring it. That's not toeing up to the line, that's jumping over the line and daring people to act.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Tangent:

BuzzFeed News @BuzzFeedNews

Far-right haven Gab. com had its fundraising site shut down by Amazon following increased scrutiny on the relationships between radicalized internet communities and major internet companieshttps://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/far-right-haven-gabcom-had-its-fundraising-site-shut-down?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc …

11:05 AM - Aug 7, 2019

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people. *chef kiss*

Just delete my account Morrigan

Oh boo hoo. I've been banned before for reasons I thought were dumb at the time, but you sit it out and come back when the ban is over. I think everyone is ignoring the "history of similar infractions" in that ban reason.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people. *chef kiss*

Oh boo hoo. I've been banned before for reasons I thought were dumb at the time, but you sit it out and come back when the ban is over. I think everyone is ignoring the "history of similar infractions" in that ban reason.
Yeah, that history includes at least a few bans for vocally calling out the leadership here in not taking concerns of black posters seriously and complaining about the uneven bans given to people who are openly racist. (For a long while the longest ban for racism we saw was three days).

His vocal protestation and deliberate shirking of mod warnings to call attention to that made up some of those prior infractions.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
User Banned (2 Weeks): Misrepresenting moderation; member was previously banned for dismissing concerns of antisemitism and dehumanising language towards mixed race people, in addition to numerous other infractions, incl. sexist objectification.
Yeah, that history includes at least a few bans for vocally calling out the leadership here in not taking concerns of black posters seriously and complaining about the uneven bans given to people who are openly racist. (For a long while the longest ban for racism we saw was three days).

His vocal protestation and deliberate shirking of mod warnings to call attention to that made up some of those prior infractions.

Not true. I got 3 weeks on the bench for using dated racial references regarding black cultural dialogue (while being black). That river runs forever in one direction. Shy gets clapped even more than I do because people don't understand what he's saying, or why he's saying it.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Deliberately ignoring modposts has always been a bannable offense. Shy knew this and chose to break the rules anyway. He was banned twice for doing it in the past, and not for the reasons Gattsu said:

He has also accumulated numerous other infractions for disruptive behaviour such as hostility and thread derailment. This is why he was banned again; the ban is longer this time as part of the standard escalation process. This is what "history of similar behavior" refers to.

The current staff post is there to avoid signal-boosting malicious trolls. While being aware of them is relevant, constant anxiety and gawking at their activity is not healthy for anyone.

As always, if you have concerns about moderation, ignoring staff posts and derailing threads is not the appropriate channel. So once again, please stick to the topic. Further derails will be met with moderation.