• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone still having trouble pairing with the retro receiver? It does work but there is a knack to it...
I tried to pair the SF30 Pro with the SNES Classic the other day and it just wouldn't work or the inputs were registered like weirdly shifted clockwise (A would be B, B would be Y, same for directions etc.). I almost gave up until I remembered the Bluetooth receiver on my stereo that was hooked up, and when I switched that off, the pairing immediatley worked without problems.

So check for interferences if it doesn't work for you I guess. Also be sure to be on the latest firmware for both controller and RR.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Got one of these from eBay some weeks ago and I was already afraid I was going to get a dud or a bad d-pad after reading this thread but it arrived today and it works perfectly fine on PC and Switch. First thing I did was trying some puyo puyo tetris which is unplayable with the first-gen pro controller I have (even the Splatoon ones have the bad d-pad) and it works perfectly fine without a single ghost input or instant drop while moving pieces around. Updated to fw 1.23 by the way.

Oct 30, 2017
Got one of these yesterday. Confusing to set up and update, and the USB C cable it came with didn't work at all. Once it was all set up and I had the retro receiver updated and ready, turns out I love this thing. Switch play was awesome, and I had no accidental drops in Tetris, Super Meat Boy, Furi, Gungeon all played great.
Awesome controller, really love it. It's perfect as a travel pro controller for the switch, a wireless controller for the NES and SNES, and for the PC.
Super happy. Killer purchase.

Last edited:

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had an SN30 Pro or SF30 Pro no longer connect to their Switch? I just used it with it last night. Today I tried to play my Switch with it, wouldn't connect, tried doing Start+Y, Start+Y then sync, Start+Y then plug in, Start+Y then sync then plug in, no button then plug in, I tried reinstalling 1.23 over the already existing version of 1.23 already flashed to it, tried all those combos again, and nothing. Start+X works fine for Xinput wired on my PC.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered one SFC30 Pro from Aliexpress and I received it in a week (China to France). The gamepad is so amazing (and cheap, got it for 22e or 25 dollars) that I ordered the classic one with no sticks.

Wow nice, you definitely got the better deal here but good to hear it's as amazing as I hoped! :) I ordered from Amazon for safety for 40€, it's probably overkill but I got a Amazon gift-card for Christmas so I thought why not.

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope this hasn't been asked. Are there different versions of the SN30 floating around out there? I've ordered two from Amazon, about 3 months apart. Both from this link: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01G3H0MUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1st one is labelled SNES30:
THWArxu.jpg

9UTk1DX.jpg

And the second (received today) is labelled SN30:
eAOT0Dy.jpg

kSnOc9n.jpg

Anyone know why this is?

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
What the heck is a yikeshu, seems fishy, why didn't you order from the one that says by 8bitdo instead, prices look roughly equal. I guess 8bitdo doesn't have prime in .ca for whatever reason but still... Hope they're both original anyway but that's some weird wording on the yikeshu listing. Since both look original let us know if there are differences in performance, so we at least know if they improved things in revisions. Like people said some diagonals and stuff were dodgy on the d-pad, see if one is better than the other :)

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the heck is a yikeshu, seems fishy, why didn't you order from the one that says by 8bitdo instead, prices look roughly equal. I guess 8bitdo doesn't have prime in .ca for whatever reason but still... Hope they're both original anyway but that's some weird wording on the yikeshu listing. Since both look original let us know if there are differences in performance, so we at least know if they improved things in revisions. Like people said some diagonals and stuff were dodgy on the d-pad, see if one is better than the other :)

The one I got in October (the one some are saying looks fake) was a flash deal for a pretty good price, and it's performed great since I got it. I figured I would just order another one since I was so happy with it. I'm gonna try the new one soon with my Pi.

PolydactylCat

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into it. The model designations for their line used to be NES30, FC30, SNES30, SFC30; but are now N30, F30, SN30, SF30. The top one is just old stock.

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah aside from the newer one having a stiffer d-pad (probably just needs to be worked in), they feel and perform the same. I wasn't concerned, more curious than anything.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Can anyone confirm if the dpad is same as SN30?
I have trouble with fighting game input with the SN30 dpad so I want to know if they improved it. It was a bit stiff and made it hard to play SNK fighters

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I've been pretty happy with 8bitdo controllers over the years. But i received my SN30 pro today and I'm really not a fan of the dpad. It's giving me more accidental up and down inputs (when tapping left and right) than even my pro controller. Never noticed this with previous 8bitdo entries. :/
It was an issue with SN30 also. I bought 2 of them. One works perfectly, the other is giving me the dpad issue. I guess it's the same for the Pro.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So my SFC30 Pro arrived and I love it, it feels like a SNES controller and overall very great. I wonder two things though, is it possible to wake a docked Switch with it? With the joycons you can triple-press the home-button to wake the Switch which doesn't seem to work with the SFC30 Pro. And I assume the controller can only save one mac address? Or is it possible to have it paired in Switch and Xinput mode to different devices without re-pairing?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I got my SFC30 Pro today and I freaking love it.

My only complaint so far is that I'm having an issue with my Retro Receiver on my Super Famicom. The controller will pair, but it won't respond to the controller. I'm not to worried about it, as I've got two of their previous Super Famicom controllers.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Hey guys, any of you know if the SN30 Pro is compatible with PS3? I need a second controller there and all I can find are DS3 clones... Might as well get an 8BitDo, cooler and more reliable, but I can't find this info anywhere....

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I am contemplating on getting this controller, but am wary of its reliability issues and defects.

Saitek/MadCatz has left me with a pretty nasty joystick RMA "sting" where I had to ship my broken unit for repair only to be shipped another broken dud. I also live in the East Coast, so I don't know if these things are even available at a MicroCenter store too, for easy exchanges. In short, I hate to play the lottery game when it comes to peripherals.

And this is from someone who still uses their original release Switch Pro Controller.
This really feels like a gamble in getting a controller that works properly. :(
And that's what scares me.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Has anyone had an SN30 Pro or SF30 Pro no longer connect to their Switch? I just used it with it last night. Today I tried to play my Switch with it, wouldn't connect, tried doing Start+Y, Start+Y then sync, Start+Y then plug in, Start+Y then sync then plug in, no button then plug in, I tried reinstalling 1.23 over the already existing version of 1.23 already flashed to it, tried all those combos again, and nothing. Start+X works fine for Xinput wired on my PC.

I hope you have figured it out on your own by now, but this seems to be a problem with the Switch. The solution is actually quite simple: Restart the system. Not sleep mode! You need to shut off the console via the menu completely. After that it works like usual.

I really love my SF30 pro. I play everything with it. Only thing that still bothers me is the rumble. It is way too strong. Hope they can tone it down in further Firmware updates.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, any of you know if the SN30 Pro is compatible with PS3? I need a second controller there and all I can find are DS3 clones... Might as well get an 8BitDo, cooler and more reliable, but I can't find this info anywhere....

I could test that for you later on, there is a decent chance it will work wired atleast, the SN30 pro has four modes:

Xinput mode which identifies it as SN30 Pro Xinput Compatible Device
Switch mode which identifies it as Pro Controller
macOS mode which identifies it as Playstation 4 Wireless Controller
Dinput mode which I haven't tested yet

I could see either of the last two modes working with the PS3. Be aware that even if it does work wired, rumble and the home button will likely not work, I will test this later.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have the annoying blinking lights when connected that the NES controller had? Worst part of their design. Made playing in a dark room impossible.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I could test that for you later on, there is a decent chance it will work wired atleast, the SN30 pro has four modes:

Xinput mode which identifies it as SN30 Pro Xinput Compatible Device
Switch mode which identifies it as Pro Controller
macOS mode which identifies it as Playstation 4 Wireless Controller
Dinput mode which I haven't tested yet

I could see either of the last two modes working with the PS3. Be aware that even if it does work wired, rumble and the home button will likely not work, I will test this later.
Thanks an lot! I think it'd rather have a reliable controller, I'm willing to trade off rumble... Home button is complicated but I can live with that....

Thanks again!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks an lot! I think it'd rather have a reliable controller, I'm willing to trade off rumble... Home button is complicated but I can live with that....

Thanks again!

No problem! :) So I tested it now and it's as I suspected, the controller basically works perfectly fine wired in macOS mode but neither the home button nor rumble functions. It works with the same limitations in wireless-mode if you manually pair it via the PS3's bluetooth setttings but then diagonal d-pad inputs don't work. I tried it in Dinput mode aswell but there the button-configuration was all sorts of messed up, Square was on the home button o.o

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Got an SN30 today for my Switch. The cable it came with was trash, but using my Pro Controller cable and it synced right up.

Loving this thing with Celeste. It plays so well.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
No problem! :) So I tested it now and it's as I suspected, the controller basically works perfectly fine wired in macOS mode but neither the home button nor rumble functions. It works with the same limitations in wireless-mode if you manually pair it via the PS3's bluetooth setttings but then diagonal d-pad inputs don't work. I tried it in Dinput mode aswell but there the button-configuration was all sorts of messed up, Square was on the home button o.o
Thank you so much! No home button will be an annoyance but I guess It's worth since I'll have a great controller and will be able to use it everywhere. Buying right away!

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I bought one to use with my Nvidia shield portable (I wanted to use it in TV mode without having to hold the console) - noticable input lag. I sent it back

Was disappointed as had heard nothing but good things

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much! No home button will be an annoyance but I guess It's worth since I'll have a great controller and will be able to use it everywhere. Buying right away!

No problem, enjoy! :) I think technically 8bitdo could make it full DS3 compatible via a firmware upgrade but one of the four modes would have to go then and with the PS3 being a legacy console at this point there would be little reason to.

I bought one to use with my Nvidia shield portable (I wanted to use it in TV mode without having to hold the console) - noticable input lag. I sent it back

Wouldn't that be Android at fault rather than the pad?

Yeah I doubt it's the pad, Android bluetooth is notoriously wonky with bluetooth controllers, I had to install a special bluetooth-app to stop my Dualshock 4 from lagging.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered my SN30Pro and it shipped. I hope I'm lucky and there aren't any issues.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Actually try the following if it's possible with the Shield:

Download the free app Bluetooth Auto Connect from the PlayStore and launch it. Then go to Advanced Options and set Continuous Connect (Sec) to 001, set the controller to macOS mode and sync via the app.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Actually try the following if it's possible with the Shield:

Download the free app Bluetooth Auto Connect from the PlayStore and launch it. Then go to Advanced Options and set Continuous Connect (Sec) to 001, set the controller to macOS mode and sync via the app.

Appreciate the help, but I sent it back

However I'm happy to accept it was the sheiks/Android side as I've seen nothing but good reviews of 8bitdo's

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I was having trouble with bad half second lag on the SN30 Pro when paired with an android phone until I read the instructions again. I wasn't holding the B button down long enough to power on in the correct mode.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Just thoroughly tested my SN30 Pro controller. From Steam games to Splatoon (though syncing it with the Switch was a bit tricky), I'm very impressed with the product, and so far it was holding up even in intense button press heavy games like FAST RMX (shoulder buttons really got some good squeezes, particularly ZL/ZR). I even tried Garou Mark of the Wolves for some good measure. Better Control Pad input than the Switch Pro Controller.

I had no issue with the position of the sticks, even for a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Color me impressed. So far it is! I'm also liking the build quality too. I just hope 8bitdo's Amazon presence means easier exchanges in case of faulty circuitry. I hate RMA'ing faulty equipment (curse you SAITEK!).

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Just thoroughly tested my SN30 Pro controller. From Steam games to Splatoon (though syncing it with the Switch was a bit tricky), I'm very impressed with the product, and so far it was holding up even in intense button press heavy games like FAST RMX (shoulder buttons really got some good squeezes, particularly ZL/ZR). I even tried Garou Mark of the Wolves for some good measure. Better Control Pad input than the Switch Pro Controller.

I had no issue with the position of the sticks, even for a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Color me impressed. So far it is! I'm also liking the build quality too. I just hope 8bitdo's Amazon presence means easier exchanges in case of faulty circuitry. I hate RMA'ing faulty equipment (curse you SAITEK!).

I can only echo what you say, it's a great controller! :D The only game that felt slightly awkward to play was Rocket League due to having to hold R2 all the time but it wasn't bad. Other than that everything else I've played from SNES games to Mario Kart 8 feels great after a few seconds of adjustment due to the different grip, 8bitdo made something awesome here!

My only wishes would be two additional modes for Wii/Wii U and PS3/PS4 respectably and a way to bind the Home and Screenshot button in Xinput-mode somehow but that's almost unreasonable bickering at this point, especially given the price and the great quality.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few kinks when re-syncing up to a PC or Nintendo Switch. For one, unlike the original Switch Pro Controller, you can't Power ON your device with the 8bitdo. Second, when going back to X-Input mode, it's vital that you hold down Start + X and have those 2 LEDs; while holding down Start + X, press the Sync button and Windows should automatically prompt you if you want to sync up the controller with your PC. Just Click the notification and syncing should commence.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few kinks when re-syncing up to a PC or Nintendo Switch. For one, unlike the original Switch Pro Controller, you can't Power ON your device with the 8bitdo. Second, when going back to X-Input mode, it's vital that you hold down Start + X and have those 2 LEDs; while holding down Start + X, press the Sync button and Windows should automatically prompt you if you want to sync up the controller with your PC. Just Click the notification and syncing should commence.

Yeah it's too bad you can't turn the Switch on with it but quickly tapping the Switch's power button works even in docked mode thankfully so it's not too annoying.

As for the sync issues, you are missing a great function of the Sx30 Pro, it can save one bluetooth address per mode so you don't have to constantly re-sync. You switch between the respective modes by pressing START+A, START+B, START+Y or START+X while the controller is off. So lets say you want to sync with the Switch, while the controller is off press START+Y, then tap the sync button on the controller and it will sync up with your Switch. Now turn the controller off again by holding START for 3 seconds. Then if you want to sync with your PC press START+X and then tap the sync button on the controller again and pair up normally.

After you did this you can forget about the Sync button and now either press START+Y if you want to connect to the Switch, or START+X if you want to connect your PC while the controller is off, no need to constantly re-sync when switching between devices!

I paired my SF30 Pro to 4 devices and can switch on the fly, it's great!

START+A, macOS mode, is synced to the OSX install on my Macbook
START+B, Dinput mode, is synced to the Windows install on my Macbook
START+Y, Switch mode, is synced to my Switch
START+X, Xinput mode, is synced to my PC

If you ever forget which button-combo is what mode, just look at the sticker at the back.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to try my SF30 Pro today. Played bits and bobs from three games on the PC - NieR: Automata, Rabi-Ribi and the Indivisible Backer Preview. It definitely felt the best in conjunction with the latter two, but not so much with NieR. Also I seem to have overestimated its size as it feels a wee bit to small and cramped for me. I can't get a refund from P-A for this so I'll dabble with it over the weekend and if I still don't like it by Sunday, off to eBay it goes.