• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions with the updated firmware? I've got one on the way here to Japan from the US and I'm feeling a bit anxious as returns are basically out of the question. Hoping for rumble options as well. I knew it wouldn't have HD rumble, but having every rumble feel like a bomb going off sounds pretty insane. Might be something to do with the way the Switch sends out "rumble signals" to the controllers?
Havent had an issue with mine, I updated ASAP, some people were saying they basically set the rumble to 100% at all times

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
Received mine from Amazon this evening, updated the firmware and ... the rumble is still wonky. It's maybe less intense than it was before the new firmware, but still pretty noisy when it's on -- best way I can describe it is that I'm hearing the rumble more than I'm feeling it, especially in Odyssey and Wonder Boy.

Hopefully a future firmware update can trim it down and / or introduce a way to disable it wholesale on a per-controller basis.

Everything else is really awesome, though, to the point where I'll just likely be turning rumble off in-game (or via System Settings) whenever I use one of 'em. A real good controller to have in the travel bag.

EDIT: Hmm, I have Controller Vibration turned off in System Settings but these boys are still a rumblin' even after restarting the Switch. Guess it'll have to be per-game then, but I was mainly hoping to use these for Mario Kart 8 DX and that doesn't have a rumble toggle...

EDIT 2: There's definitely something goofy here. These boys are rumblin' like crazy whenever I arrow up / down on the Wonder Boy title screen, whereas the Pro Controller and Joy-Cons don't have any sort of action there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I got the NES30 Pro back when that one came out and I had some serious input lag issues on Switch and on PC. It was a major bummer and ended up returning it. I wonder if that's been remedied in these.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Played a lot of SNES games with this on Retroarch...sooooooooooo good. Also haven't noticed any terrible delay when using it on my switch with the v1.10 firmware

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd go buy the whole console set if they made an accurate looking NES pad without the extra buttons.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Received mine this morning, will update and test tonight. Feels amazing to hold, super happy with the build quality and design. Lets see how it works tonight. I'll report back.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of in the market for a SFC 30 Pro, I guess around 40€ is a very good price for one? They are hard to source in Europe.

Oct 30, 2017
Okay it seems that when connected to Switch there is no lag. I tried King of Fighters and it didn't seem laggy. However on my OnePlus 5T using a SNES emulator there is lag playing Mario World. I think the lag is probably from the emulator, I'll try retroarch next time and see what happens.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only used mine on the SNES classic so far but the latency on the latest firmware seems fine. I mean I noticed immediately that it seemed very un-laggy.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay it seems that when connected to Switch there is no lag. I tried King of Fighters and it didn't seem laggy. However on my OnePlus 5T using a SNES emulator there is lag playing Mario World. I think the lag is probably from the emulator, I'll try retroarch next time and see what happens.

If it happens with Retroarch too ping me, I might have a fix for this, it worked for laggy DS4 controllers on Android atleast.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mine came in the mail yesterday, played a few hours of BotW with it. Did fine, feels great, much better than the old fc30 pro controllers, actually is full size. Will try and see how it gets on with my phone later and eventually my Pi, assuming I can pair it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I cant remember but somebody linked a review video in this thread a few pages back that lists the latency from the old controllers after firmware updates. I think it was like 60~?

See this is my concern; the SNES is my favorite system and I've played too many hours via wired controllers. I'd love to get one of these but I'm genuinely concerned about the latency. I'm SOL aren't I?

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions with the updated firmware? I've got one on the way here to Japan from the US and I'm feeling a bit anxious as returns are basically out of the question. Hoping for rumble options as well. I knew it wouldn't have HD rumble, but having every rumble feel like a bomb going off sounds pretty insane. Might be something to do with the way the Switch sends out "rumble signals" to the controllers?

Update 1.10 did nothing to fix the rumble despite 8bitdo's claims that it helped. However, as of like an hour ago, they've released update 1.20 for the sole purpose of "significant vibration optimization." So I'm anxious to test it out, but I won't be home for another 10 hours or so. I'll update with results later.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I will have mine on Friday, so i will be able to do a full suite of tests. Puyo Puyo tetris and Azure Striker Gunvolt will be a good test for any lag i may see with these controllers.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
Firmware v1.20 is a definite improvement: vibration is less noisy and far more consistent. Did some A/B testing between my two with one on v1.10 and one on v1.20. There's still some room for improvement, but it's improved enough that I no longer have a strong desire to open the case and disconnect the motors.

The intensity itself is still pretty binary, rumble is either on or it's not. Great example of this is the Wonder Boy rumble setting -- there's absolutely no difference between rumble at 10% or at 100%. It's either on (anything above 0%) or it's off... wouldn't be surprised if that gradient is the distinction between this controller's rumble and the Joy-Con / Pro Controller's HD Rumble. Probably also explains why the SN/SF30 Pro vibrates at points where the Joy-Con / Pro Controller don't, like arrowing through Wonder Boy's main menu.

Still doesn't respect the Switch's global Controller Vibration setting, either. So for games like Mario Kart 8 that don't have a vibration toggle, you're stuck with it on.

Last edited:

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
How does it compare to the NES30 pro? Specifically the dpad?

Much better, in my experience. The overall build quality /feels/ like a SNES controller proper, and the analog sticks are way tighter / better textured than the nubs on NES30 Pro.

That said, I had no qualms with the D-Pad on the base SN30 itself (I thought the NES30 Pro felt a little cheap and stiff) so I may not be the best source on that front.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017

81AIg%2BsEajL._AC_SL500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1KP9GT/?tag=era0f0-20

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone compare to the size of a PS4 controller, which i think is perfect size? this thing looks so small in videos.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered two SN30s a few months ago, and they arrived yesterday. Both of them have the same issues, whether on the original firmware, 1.10, or 1.20 (and I've tried reflashing using different computers to make sure nothing was going wrong there). They freeze randomly when connected to Switch, Windows, or Retropie (using Android mode). They stop responding to input, and none of the LEDs change (including the power light if plugged in/unplugged while charging), requiring the controller to be hard reset with an 8 second start button press. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm assuming from the fact that it's happening in multiple modes that it's something wrong with the controller rather than the rest of my setup, but it's weird to me that it would be the exact same issue with two different controllers.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
See this is my concern; the SNES is my favorite system and I've played too many hours via wired controllers. I'd love to get one of these but I'm genuinely concerned about the latency. I'm SOL aren't I?

If you only want it for Switch you are gonna have to deal with some tiny latency because of bluetooth. on PC you can do wired. Personally i had no issues with latency on Switch with my nes30pro. Take that how you will.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
So these are larger than a standard snes controller right? Does anyone have a comparison pic between this and the non pro version of sn30 or sf30?