• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I'm at a loss here.

I got the M30 controller (2.4g model) less than a week ago. I used it twice (First on the PC w/ Celeste, Second on the Switch) and had no problems. I ordered a longer USB cable so I could more comfortably play on the Switch. After it arrived, I plugged the controller in.

No response.

So I go back to my PC, plug the controller in, and try to play something.

No response.

Windows is giving me a "USB device not recognized" message, even though it recognized it less than a week ago. Also, the LED that's next to the USB port, it's been solid blue for I don't know how long.

Feeling a little stuck here. I don't know if there's a reset command or something I can try in order to fix this.

Last edited:

Numinos

Jan 15, 2018
Heidelberg, Germany
You have to set your M30 to PC Mode (XInput) first, Windows won't recognize it in Switch Mode otherwise.

Just press and hold Start + X Button for 5 Seconds until the green LEDs are flashing.

You can btw get the manual (and also firmware updates - which I would also recommend, because I had connection errors before updating to the recent firmware) at 8BitDos official Page:

http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Controller/M30/M30_Manual.pdf

/edit: I was misreading your post, you are using the 2,4GHz version, not the Bluetooth one. I can't find any informations in it's manual about switching modes. Does it get recognized atleast by 8BitDos Firmware-Update-Client? If not, it sounds like there is something wrong with it's firmware (stuck somewhere, maybe a bug).

I would try to disconnect it's battery for a few minutes if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
You have to set your M30 to PC Mode (XInput) first, Windows won't recognize it in Switch Mode otherwise.

Just press and hold Start + X Button for 5 Seconds until the green LEDs are flashing.

You can btw get the manual (and also firmware updates - which I would also recommend, because I had connection errors before updating to the recent firmware) at 8BitDos official Page:

http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Controller/M30/M30_Manual.pdf

/edit: I was misreading your post, you are using the 2,4GHz version, not the Bluetooth one. I can't find any informations in it's manual about switching modes. Does it get recognized atleast by 8BitDos Firmware-Update-Client? If not, it sounds like there is something wrong with it's firmware (stuck somewhere, maybe a bug).

I would try to disconnect it's battery for a few minutes if you're into that sort of thing.
Thanks so much! Holding down Start + X did the trick.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Just ordered a bluetooth version with a separate genesis dongle. Was reduced by 20 percent so thought I would give it a try. I know the 2.4 version will be better to play on a Genesis but like to have more options instead. Curious to see how it fares.

The 8 bit do NES controller that came with my analogue mini kinda sucks. As the battery keeps draining when not in use and has to be reconnected a lot. Hope they have improved since then. Just excited about the good reviews about the buttons and feel of the controller.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I updated to 1.13, and for some reason they changed the layout map for xbox. Z is now RB and C is RT, while L and R map to LB and LT respectively. I don't know if this is consistant with dinput or Switch.

I... don't know why they did this. The previous mapping matched perfectly to most 6-button fighters from the get go, and messed up a bunch of my own defaults in Retroarch. But I guess that's that.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
So I updated to 1.13, and for some reason they changed the layout map for xbox. Z is now RB and C is RT, while L and R map to LB and LT respectively. I don't know if this is consistant with dinput or Switch.

I... don't know why they did this. The previous mapping matched perfectly to most 6-button fighters from the get go, and messed up a bunch of my own defaults in Retroarch. But I guess that's that.

Is there any GOOD reason to update?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Haven't had to mess with mine but I think I can remember for other 8bitdo's you can downgrade the FW using the same process as the upgrade.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
May not be the thread for it but I just ordered the Sn30 g-classic edition since it's on sale and I needed a better dpad for Mario Maker.

I bought it blind based on reviews but the dpad HAS to be better than the pro controller right?

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
May not be the thread for it but I just ordered the Sn30 g-classic edition since it's on sale and I needed a better dpad for Mario Maker.

I bought it blind based on reviews but the dpad HAS to be better than the pro controller right?

I have an SN30 Pro that I use for Switch and PC and I love the D-Pad.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any GOOD reason to update?
From the website, all they lay out are fixes for Smash Ultimate. They didn't mention the input change in the changelog so there might be other behind the scenes stuff. But frankly, nothing else feels different.

Haven't had to mess with mine but I think I can remember for other 8bitdo's you can downgrade the FW using the same process as the upgrade.
yeah, I just did that and thankfully it's works proper again.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I think some fightpads use that config. I know the old MadCatz 360 fightpad works like this.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

I bought the same controller (G classic) recently for Mario Maker and other 2D games on Switch and I'm returning it. At this premium price point the dpad is unacceptable. A lot of people seem to like it but honestly I'm unsure how. It registers unintentional diagonals all the time. My original SNES controllers have better dpads. I've gone back to my 2017 Switch Pro Controller and while I'm unhappy with that dpad too, it's better. I'm back on the lookout for a decent dpad for Switch.

Last edited:

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i have zero issues with the sn30 dpad speed running mario maker.

the only thing i don't like about it is how clicky the buttons are. the thing makes a ton of noise

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the same controller (G classic) recently for Mario Maker and other 2D games on Switch and I'm returning it. At this premium price point the dpad is unacceptable. A lot of people seem to like it but honestly I'm unsure how. It registers unintentional diagonals all the time. My original SNES controllers have better dpads. I've gone back to my 2017 Switch Pro Controller and while I'm unhappy with that dpad too, it's better. I'm back on the lookout for a decent dpad for Switch.
Dang, the diagonals are what I wanted to avoid. Like the only time I want to move a character or aim diagonally is if I physically have two directions held down at the same time.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I've had the M30 (Bluetooth) for about 3 months now.

I have to say, I use it a lot... it has my favourite D-Pad ever. I've never had or even used a Saturn/Genesis controller before, so I had no idea what I missing out on.

I just wish they released a new SN30 Pro with this D-Pad on it.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I've been using it on Blazing Chrome and it's pretty great, but I wish there was an official button config for it. I feel like I need to keep tweaking it, as something still doesn't feel right with my button config.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone with the M30 2.4GHZ (the one that comes with the Genesis plug) - Ever encounter an issue where the DPAD doesn't respond? I've tried doing the Up+Select button (I think I'm doing it right) for 3 seconds, but I can't get the d-pad to respond at all. E-mailing their support but figured I'd ask here anyway.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with the M30 2.4GHZ (the one that comes with the Genesis plug) - Ever encounter an issue where the DPAD doesn't respond? I've tried doing the Up+Select button (I think I'm doing it right) for 3 seconds, but I can't get the d-pad to respond at all. E-mailing their support but figured I'd ask here anyway.
Can't say that I have, although it's been a while since I've used them.

Have you tried hooking it up to a PC via a micro-usb cable just to make sure the Dpad itself still works? I guess that won't really do anything lol, so maybe don't bother. It's just the thing I would've done first.

I don't know what UP+Select is supposed to do, but according to the manual "to re-connect with a new receiver or to retrieve a lost connection" you're supposed to press and hold the mode button for three seconds.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I've never encountered this using the native Genesis adapter. The M30+Genesis setup is my most stable 8bitdo setup. I've had alot more issues with the SNES (not classic) adapter paired with real SNES controllers and the DIY kit.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this confirmed to work with the upcoming Genesis Mini yet?

I'm hoping to have a wireless controller solution available at launch, preferably one that has the exact mold of an original (six button) Genesis controller. I've got wireless NES and SNES controllers for both Minis and they are a godsend. I hope to have the same setup for the Genesis Mini.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bit of a bummer that the L & R buttons don't correspond to the SNES L & R ones on Switch online.

They are mapped to Z and C so my Super Mario Kart hopping skills are shot!

I sent 8bitdo a nice email. I would love some of you other M30 owners to do the same.
Are 8bitdo a good company for supporting their products?

it's my teenage dream to play these SNES games with THAT d-pad.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if anyone still cares, but there seems to be a revision in the M30's D-Pad.

I tried using the controller for fighters but gave up on that since quick diagonals stopped reading. If anyone has a recent m30 and plays fighters, i'd love to hear your impressions.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
i don't know if anyone still cares, but there seems to be a revision in the M30's D-Pad.

I tried using the controller for fighters but gave up on that since quick diagonals stopped reading. If anyone has a recent m30 and plays fighters, i'd love to hear your impressions.
That's a bummer. I just wanted to use it with MK and back-forward moves are near impossible :(
Hopefully the new ones are better, but I already have two...

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer. I just wanted to use it with MK and back-forward moves are near impossible :(
Hopefully the new ones are better, but I already have two...
If you're still looking a sega-styled six face button pad, I'd absolutely recommend the Retrobit Saturn Controllers. I have the wireless 2.4ghz version, and I've been able to consistently hit more demanding input moves in classic KoF games.