• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I can't comment on the SNES30 Pro admittedly as I do not have one, but I do have the standard SN30 (both the older SNES30 model and the 2017 revision for the SuperNT) and both have contact design on the PCB that's inaccurate to the original. They just use four circular contacts in the cardinal directions, unlike the original, which had tabs (vertical for the contacts on the X axis, horizontal on the Y) that led to more accurate inputs and cut down on erroneous diagonals. The SN30's essentially got the same design quirk as the Switch Pro controller with inputs, in that the way the d-pad rocks and activates contacts will cause unintentional presses if slightly off-center. This is easily demonstrated by pressing the very end of a d-pad direction and rocking it back and forth a bit, while not intentionally putting pressure on any other direction. Whether or not people notice it or experience it is one thing, but it's commonly cited as a flaw by myself and others.

It is very noticeable on anything that needs diagonals a lot. Contra, Street Fighter, etc. A/B it with the real thing and it is just awful. Diagonals fire a lot when you want a straight-up down or up or whatever.

I did the tape mod with some Polyimide tape but I had to fiddle with it like 20 times to get it just right. It's at about 90% as good as the original now. And one of the 20 times I took it apart and put it back together, apparently one of the LEDs got broken, so I can't tell if it is connected now.

I don't understand how people don't notice it, honestly.

Word is that the 8bitdo mod kits are better, but I heard the SN30 was better than the NES30 also at first...and it isn't.

The Krikzz genesis controller is supposed to be amazing, though it had better be for the price.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's out now, and Ars Technica posted impressions as part of our ToeJam & Earl: Back In The Groove review.

8Bitdo's wireless take on the classic design officially launches today for $30. Its Bluetooth receiver makes it compatible with iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, PC, Linux, and Mac, among other platforms.

And I am here to tell you: it is awesome. In particular, it succeeds in taking the design and feeling of the original Genesis Six-Button Arcade Pad, while ensuring that its buttons enjoy a more modern responsiveness.

The M30's d-pad is currently treated by both XInput and Nintendo Switch as a "left" analog stick, conceivably because most games on those platforms assume joystick use as a default. It then treats each d-pad tap as an instant, 100-percent push in one of eight cardinal directions, so that's not necessarily adding floatiness to those kinds of controls.

But if your preferred retro game does not support joysticks, like Nintendo's new online game Tetris 99, the M30 will currently leave you in the retro-control cold. [Update, 1:30pm ET: 8Bitdo has confirmed to Ars Technica that an upcoming M30 firmware update will add support for changing how its d-pad is mapped. This lines up with the company's vigilant policy of updating its controllers as per customer demands. No timeline was yet offered for when to expect the update.]

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Suddenly there is a lot of options for Genesis controllers. Hopefuly these do not have diagonal issues like the other 8bitdo controllers seem to have.

tonetizzley

Nov 1, 2017
Got mine yesterday. Here's a comparison shot of the SN30 vs M30 (and their receivers) for anyone interested.

Mega SG can't get here soon enough!!

wu3dMy1.jpg

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got mine today.

Patiently waiting for the Sg to use it with.

I'd hook it up to my Genesis/CD/32X but not sure I have enough surge protectors in the house to do all that at once.

Last edited:

Needham

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on the button mapping for the Switch? I prefer to have ABXY mapped to CBYZ and L2 and R2 mapped to A and X when I use a Saturn pad to play Nintendo games.

Lots of games have customisable controls now at least, so it shouldn't really matter for most games.

EDIT
Found out ABXY are mapped to BAYX as I expected.

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Mine should be here on Sunday, can't wait to get it.

And I'm really looking forward to the Mega SG.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks dope. I'm gonna hold out on this one. I just got around to ordering two SN30 Pro in the EU/JP colours. I can't believe they're officially discontinued. Had to get them from ebay

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on the specifics of the dpad? Like registration of diagonals/directions, stray inputs and the like? As that's been a bit of an issue with previous 8bitdo controllers.

Thinking about getting one as an all-purpose retro controller.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So that 2.4G version...whats the possibility which they release a version for raspberri pi, PC etc?

If not I am thinking of getting the bluetooth version

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I received my M30 yesterday. I intend to use it on Switch for the Sega Ages games and the NES games included with Nintendo Switch Online, but I wanted to test it properly with a fighting game on PC that I'm comfortable with to ensure that its d-pad works well. I installed Skullgirls and Ultra Street Fighter IV through Steam with the intention of testing the M30, but I can't for the life of me get the M30 to stop controlling my mouse pointer with the d-pad. Upon checking the properties for the controller, it does seem to be detected as an XInput-compatible controller via Bluetooth, but you'd think it was a mouse/keyboard combo in-game, because button mapping in Ultra Street Fighter IV doesn't reflect the fact that I have a controller plugged in, even though the controller seems to control the game just fine; I just can't seem to remap the buttons. Also, while the mouse pointer issue wouldn't be an issue in most games, I happen to use two monitors, so the mouse pointer issue ultimately results in the mouse pointer eventually moving to the second monitor, and pressing A causes me to lose focus on the game at that point. Very irritating. Does anyone know how to fix this?

By the way, the d-pad SEEMS to work fine on Switch, but I think it's technically using analog stick inputs instead of d-pad inputs, so you can't really use the controller test menu to see whether the d-pad inputs are registering properly. When rotating the d-pad either way in menus, however, movement does seem to be consistent, indicating that the controller's d-pad works very well. It'd be nice to test this within an actual game, though, and I don't feel like buying that Street Fighter anniversary collection on Switch to test it.

NOTE: I've confirmed that the d-pad uses analog stick inputs, because Tetris 99 is essentially unplayable with this controller, since the d-pad only changes which player you're targeting. Bummer.

This controller's really comfy, by the way. It feels great in the hands.

EDIT: I tested the controller with KOF2003. The d-pad is very responsive and seems to register accurate inputs.

Last edited:

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
The feel of this controller is great. Somewhat easy to get used to the home/share/dash buttons, as they aren't raised but can blind-feel them in the dark.

A question for those who have the Bluetooth version, however. I am using it in Steam and it's being recognized as an Xbox 360 controller. This causes some issues in games because it doesn't map the buttons correctly, so I have to go into the settings and remap A/B/C/X/Y/Z appropriately. Some of them (C and Z) are automapped to the shoulder bumpers. And because it thinks it's a 360 controller, games think there are triggers available where there are none.

I tried this with two games - the Sega Genesis collection and Shock Troopers. I had serious issues playing this with Shock Troopers. The character would repeatedly stop running or firing, I couldn't figure out why. It works relatively great in the Genesis collection though, as long as the buttons are configured appropriately upfront. There's no escape button mapped to the controller, so I can't exit out from a game to the main menu.

Anyone else try this on Steam and have any tips? Or similar setup issues with the Nintendo-style controllers?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The feel of this controller is great. Somewhat easy to get used to the home/share/dash buttons, as they aren't raised but can blind-feel them in the dark.

A question for those who have the Bluetooth version, however. I am using it in Steam and it's being recognized as an Xbox 360 controller. This causes some issues in games because it doesn't map the buttons correctly, so I have to go into the settings and remap A/B/C/X/Y/Z appropriately. Some of them (C and Z) are automapped to the shoulder bumpers. And because it thinks it's a 360 controller, games think there are triggers available where there are none.

I tried this with two games - the Sega Genesis collection and Shock Troopers. I had serious issues playing this with Shock Troopers. The character would repeatedly stop running or firing, I couldn't figure out why. It works relatively great in the Genesis collection though, as long as the buttons are configured appropriately upfront. There's no escape button mapped to the controller, so I can't exit out from a game to the main menu.

Anyone else try this on Steam and have any tips? Or similar setup issues with the Nintendo-style controllers?
Yeah, I'm using the Bluetooth version, and I'm having my own issues with Steam games, as well. (Check the post right above yours.) Thing is, the same problems occur without Steam running, so I don't know if it's a Steam issue or a Windows 10 issue. The problem I'm having is that the controller is functioning as a keyboard/mouse combo, even though it seems to be registering XInput button presses to some extent, as I'm not having trouble navigating game menus. The d-pad moves my mouse pointer, which wouldn't be much of an issue outside of the fact that I have two monitors, so I inevitably end up moving the mouse pointer to my second monitor while using the d-pad, and pressing A causes me to lose focus of the game.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, I'm using the Bluetooth version, and I'm having my own issues with Steam games, as well. (Check the post right above yours.) Thing is, the same problems occur without Steam running, so I don't know if it's a Steam issue or a Windows 10 issue. The problem I'm having is that the controller is functioning as a keyboard/mouse combo, even though it seems to be registering XInput button presses to some extent, as I'm not having trouble navigating game menus. The d-pad moves my mouse pointer, which wouldn't be much of an issue outside of the fact that I have two monitors, so I inevitably end up moving the mouse pointer to my second monitor while using the d-pad, and pressing A causes me to lose focus of the game.

The only thing I can think of is to go into Controller settings in Steam and turn OFF support for the various controllers (Generic, Xbox, PS4). I've found that when these are turned ON and Steam is running, it will control the mouse pointer as well. Kind of a way for folks to use their controllers via Big Picture mode without the need for a mouse. As long as Steam is running it will take "control" of your controller this way, so to speak. Try that and see if that makes a difference.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The only thing I can think of is to go into Controller settings in Steam and turn OFF support for the various controllers (Generic, Xbox, PS4). I've found that when these are turned ON and Steam is running, it will control the mouse pointer as well. Kind of a way for folks to use their controllers via Big Picture mode without the need for a mouse. As long as Steam is running it will take "control" of your controller this way, so to speak. Try that and see if that makes a difference.
They weren't on to begin with, but I've already messed with that, and the problem still occurs. It even happens when Steam isn't running. I've searched for solutions, but nothing seems to really apply, given how much Microsoft has changed various aspects of Control Panel and Windows with Windows 10 over time. I did temporarily fix the issue by turning ON Xbox Configuration Support in Steam and re-pairing the controller, but it eventually just started doing it again.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered the 2.4g version, it was supposed to be here yesterday, but the package was returned to amazon because damaged and now the controllers are on backorder. Just lovely.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Maybe you all can help me out on a separate issue with the Bluetooth version. I must have hit some button configuration and got three blinking green lights on the bottom, and the controller became inoperable. Any idea what this means?

I know pair is X+Start for Win10, but that only causes a blinking red light at the top of the controller.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Maybe you all can help me out on a separate issue with the Bluetooth version. I must have hit some button configuration and got three blinking green lights on the bottom, and the controller became inoperable. Any idea what this means?

I know pair is X+Start for Win10, but that only causes a blinking red light at the top of the controller.
I think the blinking red light at the top of the controller is solely for firmware updates. If you do that and plug the controller into your controller, then you'll be able to run the firmware updater (which you need to download from 8BitDo's Web site) and flash the firmware on the controller. I think the blinking red light is caused by holding L + R + Start. You should be able to stop that by holding Start for 8+ seconds to completely turn off the controller. The next time you turn it on, it should behave normally.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Bummer that the Bluetooth version only comes in black. The 2.4 one also has a white variation right?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Correction regarding the aforementioned mouse pointer movement issue: The mouse pointer movement toggles on and off when you press the Start button on the controller. Is this a Steam feature or a Windows 10 feature, and does anyone know how to turn this off? On some level, I can see how this could be useful, but why map it to the Start button on a controller when that's the button you'd use to enter menus and so many games allow you to exit those same menus by pressing B?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I got the 2.4GHz M30. The instructions say it'll connect with the Switch through USB. I tried hooking it up yesterday, but no luck. Has anyone gotten one of these to work? Any tips for trouble shooting it? Would love to use this thing for USFII.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I got the 2.4GHz M30. The instructions say it'll connect with the Switch through USB. I tried hooking it up yesterday, but no luck. Has anyone gotten one of these to work? Any tips for trouble shooting it? Would love to use this thing for USFII.
Try this: Using another controller (or the touch screen), go to System Settings on your Switch, then go to Controllers and Sensors to turn on the Pro Controller Wired Communication option.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Try this: Using another controller (or the touch screen), go to System Settings on your Switch, then go to Controllers and Sensors to turn on the Pro Controller Wired Communication option.

That worked! I appreciate it.

Feels PERFECT, by the way. As good as my USB Saturn pad. This is going to be my go to for most 2D games when docked (this thing will be broken in by the time I get the Mega Sg).

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
That worked! I appreciate it.

Feels PERFECT, by the way. As good as my USB Saturn pad. This is going to be my go to for most 2D games when docked (this thing will be broken in by the time I get the Mega Sg).
No prob. Happy to help!

And yeah, 8BitDo really nailed the feel of the d-pad and buttons. I also like how the buttons rattle when you shake the controller, just as they did on the Saturn controller.

Muaddib

Oct 25, 2017
I think those are the ones being made by Retro-Bit. I believe Retro Fighters is also making one.

I see. Not sure if I'll wait for it to grab one though.

For modern games I might stick with the many analog options I already have.

now the question is, how will Sega's Genesis Classic fare? Will their controller be USB and compatible with PCs, Pis and the such?

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The d-pad does look like the Saturn one, but I don't know how comparable the Genesis 6-button d-pad was to the Saturn Model 2. Is anyone able to weigh in on that? Can't seem to find the info elsewhere.

But man, sounds super good. Been hoping for a good while they'd do a Saturn one. If the d-pads are comparable, this should do the trick. Can't wait for the Pro version to go with my SF30 Pro's.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The d-pad does look like the Saturn one, but I don't know how comparable the Genesis 6-button d-pad was to the Saturn Model 2. Is anyone able to weigh in on that? Can't seem to find the info elsewhere.

But man, sounds super good. Been hoping for a good while they'd do a Saturn one. If the d-pads are comparable, this should do the trick. Can't wait for the Pro version to go with my SF30 Pro's.
don't sweat how it compares to the Saturn pad. It's seriously good all its own.

I can't do the fancy 623P 421K cancels in this game so heres some easy drive combo. the d-pad on this thing absolutely rules.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I want the bluetooth one so bad, but it's so ugly.

I wish the BT one had a white variant. Or something!

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I connected it to my Switch and it works.

Tried to reconnect to it my Mac and now it can't recognize it anymore. Actually it recognizes it as a Pro Controller.

Disconnect it from Switch, reconnect with the Mac.

Still nothing. Factory Reset? Anyone?

Help.

I get this now.

AKGJUaP.png

L6HqEvr.png

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Ok now It recognizes it as Switch Pro Controller and running it on OpenEmu, the turbo functionality is no longer working. This is a significant bummer if this is the case every time I want to go back to my MacBook to Switch and vice versa. Pls does anyone have any solutions? Tweeted the exact same thing to 8BitDo twitter account. I really like this controller a lot and I want to mainly use it for my Macbook and I don't want to shell out another 30 to replace it.