• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I've always wanted an arcade stick, but I need it wireless and PS4 compatible too.
I know wireless interference is a big problem, but I'm just a casual looking for comfort.
USD$89 is a nice price I'm willing to pay.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Don't a lot of sticks do this already? Both my Hori sticks allow this.
Yeah that's been a thing for awhile now.

Fair enough. I had no idea this was a thing! I play my fighters, shmups, beat-em-ups and casual sports games in an arcade cab, and didn't know this was already a possibility. Not to derail this thread, but is there a cheaper stick I could pull the PCB out of to achieve similar functionality?

It would be fun to try Yakuza 0 in my cab, for example.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm definitely interested in this, if I can hook it up to Brooks Superconverter adapters... then sold.

I need a wireless solution for some of these consoles - so hoping that bluetooth will connect to them - will have to wait for review.

I think it's rad looking though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I had no idea this was a thing! I play my fighters, shmups, beat-em-ups and casual sports games in an arcade cab, and didn't know this was already a possibility. Not to derail this thread, but is there a cheaper stick I could pull the PCB out of to achieve similar functionality?
You can just buy the Brook Fighting Board. It's like $40. You don't even need a dedicated switch for that since you can hold the start button and move the stick left/up/right to move between LS, DP, RS.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This in black would have been dope so I could get some Sega Astro vibes going.

8bitdo_01h7jz3.jpg

8bitdo_0213j1b.jpg

8bitdo_03sjjm9.jpg
That black on black is sick give me that with red leds for the button config and I might get back into fighting games.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I was just about to build my own for $200 since I got a brookboard laying about but now I'm gonna wait and see the build quality of these.

desmondcs

Banned
May 9, 2018
Michigan
I don't really need this, but I'm not ruling out picking a couple up. I've been playing a lot of arcade style games like shooters, fighting games, & beat 'em ups using the Hori Fighting Stick Mini on the Switch and have been enjoying them even though they're not rated very highly according to the internet. I've also got a couple Mayflash F300 Fight Sticks hooked up to the PS4, but have had a good experience with them on both consoles. Again, I don't need more arcade sticks, but I wouldn't mind adding more 8bitdo peripherals to my collection. I like the SN30 pads that I have so, if their arcade stick can at least match that quality then they should be pretty good.

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
This is out in the Nordics at least - I got mine a week ago. It's very good for the price, especially the multiple connectivity options are great: 2,4 ghz with included dongle, bluetooth or wired USB-C. I've played this with my PC and Switch, it might also work with Xbox/PS4 if using a correct 8bitdo adapter?

Of course the stick and the buttons are not Sanwa/Seimitsu quality, but I'd say they're better or similar quality as the cheaper Hori sticks. I bought this to mod it eventially with Seimitsu stuff - I mostly play shmups with arcade stick.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I think Amazon is saying they should release on the 18th here in the States. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works with 2.4ghz. Like you i eventually plan on dropping a better stick and buttons in it. It should work with the upcoming Analogue Duo as well, it'll be nice to have an arcade stick for that.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Nice review here

It's a good entry-level stick it seems, stock parts not quite up to tournament level. He mentions something about swapping out the stick being a bit difficult, so "ultra moddable" but not easy to mod.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good entry-level stick it seems, stock parts not quite up to tournament level. He mentions something about swapping out the stick being a bit difficult, so "ultra moddable" but not easy to mod.

It's really not difficult at all, to replace the level just involves super super basic soldering skills. Like this could be your first soldering project and you'd do it fine. Its just 5 wires, and the pads you solder to are quite fairly big.

I have one of these myself and I've only used it wired or in 2.4ghz mode but that works great. I did drop a Sanwa lever and buttons in mine though, but it was very easy to do.

I personally like that its a little smaller of a stick, I am not a fan of the giant coffee table sized sticks most are. Its also got a nice weight to it, thanks to some metal plates bolted to the inside.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

3-B610792-AC46-4041-AF7-C-E2-A16-B14958-C.jpg

I got mine today and I love it so much. Nice and heavy.

- Tested on bluetooth Switch, felt very responsive without lag issues (albeit direct line of sight).
- Played on PS3 with Magic NS adapter into 2.4g dongle, worked amazingly without setup.
- I played on PC with ikaruga and Retroarch Final Burn Neo and it felt great both wired and 2.4g.

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've always wanted an arcade stick, but I need it wireless and PS4 compatible too.
I know wireless interference is a big problem, but I'm just a casual looking for comfort.
USD$89 is a nice price I'm willing to pay.
My Magic-NS works nicely on PS3 with the stick, but PS4 needs Magic-NS Pro or something else. It sounds like there are other adapters too.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm considering this just for a arcade stick I'll use exclusively with PC since theres zero chance I'm going to be playing many fighting games on switch anyway. I definately will wait to see if they come out with a black color though. I bought a HRAP VX several years ago its already yellowing as we speak.

Not pleased with the idea that you have to solder if you want to use a fairly standard 5 pin connection. I'm of the belief that you shouldn't be soldering anything unless you really want to go beyond the norm to do something cool for yourself. Simply changing the joystick just doesn't register for me here.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
It really is the most basic soldering job, the pads are fairly big, and I think even if this was some one's first soldering attempt they'd be able to do it fine. If that helps any.

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
First stick and I love it but the square gate is annoying. I always thought arcades have an octagon gate.

Now for modding, I ordered Sanwa JLK, OBSF buttons and an octagon gate. Soldering it will be a bit easy since the pads are big but how much of a cost would it be to add a 5 pin connector in it. Just a weird take and marketing it as "ultra moddable" is wrong.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Wow this looks great. As an NES lover I really dig the look. Can this be used in 2.4 ghz with Switch, maybe with an adaptor? I am looking for more responsive Switch controllers. I love my SN30 Pro but I've realized there's enough lag via bluetooth to really hamper playing action games.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
So...I'm having issues with mine. I can't get it to connect over BT to my Switch all of a sudden, and it's a pain i the ass to get it to register all the buttons on my Raspberry Pi. It requires a Windows 10 PC to download the software and fiddle with the settings.

I have no idea why it won't connect to my Switch anymore, it just flashes for a few seconds then a solid blue light in the second and third position.

EDIT: 2.4G Dongle is working, but BT is not working.

EDIT 2: I can't even pair this to anything anymore in Switch or X-input mode. It starts pairing then goes right back to the same error state. No idea how to reset this thing other than turning it off and on.

Last edited:

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
So...I'm having issues with mine. I can't get it to connect over BT to my Switch all of a sudden, and it's a pain i the ass to get it to register all the buttons on my Raspberry Pi. It requires a Windows 10 PC to download the software and fiddle with the settings.

I have no idea why it won't connect to my Switch anymore, it just flashes for a few seconds then a solid blue light in the second and third position.

EDIT: 2.4G Dongle is working, but BT is not working.

EDIT 2: I can't even pair this to anything anymore in Switch or X-input mode. It starts pairing then goes right back to the same error state. No idea how to reset this thing other than turning it off and on.

You can factory reset using the ultimate software. It can also upgrade the firmware.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You can factory reset using the ultimate software. It can also upgrade the firmware.

My only Windows 10 machine is a work laptop that I can't install software on. I have an old Mac Mini but it's super old and isn't capable of running the software either. Super annoying that I can't even reset this thing via the actual stick. Let me hold down some buttons or something to reset it.

Thanks for the info though. I'll try to figure something out.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So I went ahead and picked this up from Amazon. Got it for $70 shipped cause they have (had?) 20% off Amazon Warehouse deals (discount showed up at checkout) and there was a listing for a "like new" one that was repackaged, and it was true to description. Even had the plastic covers on all the buttons still. Because its relatively easy to open, I 3d printed an octagonal gate for it just to try it out, and I think I really like Octagonal gates. I mainly play 2D fighters and I didn't have any issues with command inputs. I didn't even know that the button indicators light up and change depending on if you have it in switch or xinput mode. Kinda love it.
Ordered a MAGIC-S Pro Mayflash adapter cause I heard it'll allow you to use it on PS4, so I'll let you know how that goes.

b3Ji2W4.jpg

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I used the stick on my PS5 with no problem on Street Fighter V using the Magic-S Pro adapter from mayflash.
However, when I play the updated MK11 Ultimate (PS5 version), it says "the controller can't be used on PS5 games". I find it strange since I am able to use my HRAP4 on MK with no problem

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
I also have this stick and it also works on Xbox Series X with the Brook wingman XB converter, played Guwange and couple other shmups, no noticeable input lag using the 2,4ghz dongle. It probably also works via BT if needed, the same converter works with my Retrobit Saturn pad also

I'm still waiting for my parts to mod mine (lost in the mail unfortunately...), but apparently you can just jam a 5 pin header in to the 8 pin slot and it will work solder free, see here https://youtu.be/FjKUSdhTux0?t=128

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this looks great. As an NES lover I really dig the look. Can this be used in 2.4 ghz with Switch, maybe with an adaptor? I am looking for more responsive Switch controllers. I love my SN30 Pro but I've realized there's enough lag via bluetooth to really hamper playing action games.

The included 2,4 ghz dongle works with Switch and for me the input lag feels good, I'm not that sensitive but for example my 8bitdo m30 feels laggy via BT compared to wired.

For some controllers these 2,4 ghz dongles can actually be more laggy with switch, since the dock USB connection adds ~1 frame of lag. See youtube shmupjunkie channels switch controller lag tests if you want more info

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
My only Windows 10 machine is a work laptop that I can't install software on. I have an old Mac Mini but it's super old and isn't capable of running the software either. Super annoying that I can't even reset this thing via the actual stick. Let me hold down some buttons or something to reset it.

Thanks for the info though. I'll try to figure something out.

To follow up on this, the Bluetooth is still dead. I upgraded the firmware and...nothing. 8bitdo Support gave me a tool which just upgraded the firmware again then gave up and told me to return it to the retailer. I'm outside the Amazon return window, so now I have to fight with them.

I'm very disapointed in this stick. Just FYI for anyone interested.

EDIT: Amazon processed the return for me, so that's good.

Last edited: