• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you should be dying on a hill of this being intentional racism or not.

Its racism regardless of you trying to eek out if its intentionally malicious or not. If you arent anti-racist and actually pushing for diversity its just as bad as doing nothing at all and/or being out and loud racist.

Its intentional in the fact they made zero effort to even have one character there Regardless if you think its malicious or ignorance.
Would you be affording this same benefit of the doubt to any other company in a similar situation? Like if this was a Hollywood movie with a cast of 90 people and there were zero black or brown actors involved, what would you think? And would you be wrong to think that? The "speculation" is absolutely fair.
Totally fair, and I'm certainly not trying to tell POC how they should feel about this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
C'mon. Of the 1000s upon 1000s of characters that could have been chosen, they chose only 89 of them. There are plenty of criteria/priorities they could have used that would have resulted in no black characters being included. Does that excuse it? Absolutely fucking not. But we can rightly criticize that without assuming that those criteria/priorities include a racist intent.
I'm not stopping you from doing that. I don't think Sakurai was in a board meeting and said "lol fuck Black people btw", I think Black characters were considered at various points but decided against in favour of those that weren't. Whether the guiding hand behind that was subconscious and ingrained or not doesn't change that they decided against including any Black characters despite selecting a roster of 89 characters across all of gaming.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
On the one hand I have to admit that final roster is the stuff of dreams with how many characters they were able to get from third party franchises. But when you have so many characters but such a poor selection when it comes to representation it sticks out like a sore thumb.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need to remind people again that this wasn't just for the DLC for Ultimate, but for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 4, 4 DLC, Ultimate, and Ultimate DLC. That's over 20 years of character choices to make.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
This is how I see it as well. The main culprit at the end is the videogame industry and us fans wo bought games for many many years without calling companies for their lack of diversity.
It seems things are changing a bit, but that will take time.

I am puzzle to think of a single representative from Latin America who is not a Narco, an old cliche, or Blanka. Sombra maybe?
What are your thoughts on Eddy Gordo and/or Christie Monteiro from Tekken?

Oct 27, 2017
Min Min is a cool character and a POC

The issue is that they should have added both. No reason to pick one. When you have multiple variants of the same characters, but no spot for a black character...

Surely some of you defending can see the issue?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it was more important to put a potted plant in before they could get any black character in the game.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I need to remind people again that this wasn't just for the DLC for Ultimate, but for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 4, 4 DLC, Ultimate, and Ultimate DLC as well.
It is amazing how the biggest roster not named Mugen can avoid this kind of representation. Like we have a Piranha plant (my fav) for fucks sake.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is how I see it as well. The main culprit at the end is the videogame industry and us fans wo bought games for many many years without calling companies for their lack of diversity.
It seems things are changing a bit, but that will take time.

I am puzzle to think of a single representative from Latin America who is not a Narco, an old cliche, or Blanka. Sombra maybe?

she is a terrorist so, nah

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Totally agree, there's no excuse for there being no black characters. But that doesn't mean that we arrived at this point because the decision makers are racist.
There is a good chance that they are not racist. My question is what have they done to warrant receiving benefit of the doubt? Why should I believe that they couldn't add any black characters. They could have easily left Cloud out and put in Barrett (I have my own issues with him, but still it would have gone a long way.) And they still could have put Sepiroth in the game as a second FFVII rep.

And then you got a bunch of fans jumping all the way out the window to defend this when they could have stayed quiet when this comes up.

Nintendo needs to do better with this. They aren't French Bread or any of the other Japanese indies. Other Japanese fighting game devs have games with less characters and they can still manage to realize that black characters (and black fans) exist. They have no excuse.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Full transparency, I've never played a Fire Emblem game. But, when I saw this person I was like "marth/roy again?" Why waste a spot on this?

1200px-Byleth_SSBU.png

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Twintelle, Marina, Rodin, literally three from the top of my head they could've used, but nah. Very disappointing.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Purple and green squids left on an island.

sakurai on that Michael Jordan diet.

Oct 27, 2017
When you got black characters being portrayed as thieves and apes, no black characters in the roster, Sakurai posting weird shit on Twitter that is insensitive to the black struggle...

At what point are we allowed to question it?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, because I know nothing about Splatoon: I see that Marina is her own character with a personality, but the Splatoon representative in Smash is named "Inkling" with various alternative skins. Are these characters just generic & not real characters in the games themselves?
Inkling is a species within the Splatoon universe, with the Smash fighter representing the player character, hence why they not only appear in different colors but also have different skin tones and clothing. Inkling is comparable to Villager while Marina would be more like Isabelle if she made it into Smash.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Min Min is a cool character and a POC

The issue is that they should have added both. No reason to pick one. When you have multiple variants of the same characters, but no spot for a black character...

Surely some of you defending can see the issue?

This. Twintelle and Marina should have both been in, Min-Min is a good pick too. Plenty of boring choices they could have avoided in lieu of better representation, we don't need to argue they should take an Asian woman out of the game.

TheDok

Banned
Oct 2, 2021
User Banned (1 Month): Tone policing in a thread regarding Black representation, account in junior phase.
You don't understand! Sakurai's hands were tied! He could only include the most popular characters!
How about actually replying to those posts and having a proper discussion as opposed to making sarcastic drive-bys that don't contribute to the thread and just foster toxicity?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This. White people in the audience, when people talk about the system being structurally racist, this is the racism that's being talked about. Literally white being the "default".
Yep this is grade A structural racism where there are machinations in place that allows for shit like this to occur or be encouraged because it turns a blind eye to these things. VS say you actually talk about diversity daily no different than safety etc. make it a pillar of the system.

No one here is can say the people choosing these characters are being maliciously racist but the intent here is clearly to ignore having a lineup that is diverse Beyond just selecting a game character, esp when they are picking absolutely obscure shit.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Stupid question, because I know nothing about Splatoon: I see that Marina is her own character with a personality, but the Splatoon representative in Smash is named "Inkling" with various alternative skins. Are these characters just generic & not real characters in the games themselves?
The Inkling with the yellow Hi-Vis is Agent 3, the main character of Splatoon 1's story mode. The rest are random as far as I remember.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
The fact Twintelle wasn't even in consideration (Sakurai's other choice was Ninjara) says a lot.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Did anyone here actually think the final Smash Ultimate character would be black after Sakurai literally just posted a Smash tweet showing a black assist trophy (Ronin) being hosed by a white character (Mario) just a week or two ago?

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Fuck Nintendo, and fuck anyone defending this shit or trying to make Nintendo look innocent or naive. It's been a shit company for years for many of the reasons people on this forum hate other companies for, yet still love Nintendo somehow. How can a company put out a game like this and not think about representation? It's insane actually. And also insane since it would have been very easy to avoid the situation they created.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
How about actually replying to those posts and having a proper discussion as opposed to making sarcastic drive-bys that don't contribute to the thread and just foster toxicity?

Anyone arguing that the roster's diversity was outside of Nintendo/Sakurai's control is actually not contributing anything to the thread other than giving the benefit of the doubt to people who haven't earned it

What about game and watch

What about taking this seriously

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Twintelle really needed to be in.

Min-Min is still better than what Sakurai's second choice was (Ninjara, really? Of all the ARMS characters, Ninjara? At least Spring-Man's boring ass is on the cover (getting his shit punched in), but Ninjara?), but Twintelle REALLY needed to get in.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Note that I do not suggest or agree with the idea that it is sufficient to add Black characters only as low hanging fruits. I use the following examples only to illustrate the extent to which Nintendo does not care about having Black characters in the game. With that in mind:

Some things Nintendo/Sakurai deemed more important than a Black character (just in terms of Ultimate):
  • Chrom, the 3rd Awakening character, the 4th Marth-like fighter, the 5th pure sword fighter from Fire Emblem, and the 7th Fire Emblem character.
  • Piranha Plant
  • Two Belmonts who are echoes of each other
  • Byleth, the 8th Fire Emblem character
Some easy opportunities to add a Black character:
  • Doc Louis (Little Mac echo)
  • Marina (Inkling echo)
  • Twintelle (instead of Min-Min)
  • Anthony Higgs (Samus echo)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Twintelle really needed to be in.

Min-Min is still better than what Sakurai's second choice was (Ninjara, really? Of all the ARMS characters, Ninjara? At least Spring-Man's boring ass is on the cover (getting his shit punched in), but Ninjara?), but Twintelle REALLY needed to get in.
Ninjara is #2 in Japan & Sakurai loves ninjas. Even then, the fact that the overall #2 most popular ARMS character (Twintelle) wasn't even considered is damning.

TheDok

Banned
Oct 2, 2021
This reminds that they stopped it with echoes after the initial roster after making a big deal about them. It sucks, echoes were really easy opportunities to get a lot more characters in.
Yeah not having more echos is dumb. Higgs would've been a really bad pick considering Other M's shittiness. But Marina as an inkling echo would've been cool

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
You don't understand! It was absolutely vital that Smash bros had Audrey II and sleeveless T-shirt Marth in the roster! There just wasn't enough room left!

Nov 9, 2017
This is very blatant and a shame. So many opportunities.

The Nintendo defense force is so fervent about making sure no ill words are spoke about Nintendo instead of supporting positive change. Par for the course.