• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Trump refusing wildfire aid while her constituents take turns using power hours after this is the cherry on top.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I have more faith in the bonafides of people like Manchin and Edwards, Democrats in states where being a Democrat confers zero benefits and actively hurts them, over people like Feinstein and especially Gabbard who are clearly just liberals because they have to be in their Safe D states

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge deal, she's saying goodbye to a colleague she might not see ever again in a work capacity. If the Dems had huffed and puffed and gone insane during these hearings it wouldn't have changed a single thing. Amy was always getting confirmed, tough luck. Need to get out there and vote to change things like this. Disappointing to see people focusing on a total non-story like this in these times, so close to an election.

Enemy? This isn't a football game. I agree the hug was jarring but realize Congress agrees on a lot that we don't talk about or politicize. They are co-workers who disagree on major issues but come together daily. Was she supposed to foam at the mouth, throw her chair and scream "Democrats forever!!"? Obviously this is a scary time, I don't want to lose my right to marriage but we have to hold tight here.

I'm not sure why you're both being so obtuse about this, but there was an obvious alternative to going crazy: she could have done nothing. It would have been a dramatic improvement over what she actually did. Instead, she decided to go out of her way save Lindsey Graham's career. She undermined the Democrat's chances at taking the Senate just so she could gush over an incompetent racist who would never do the same thing for her in a million years. She absolutely deserves the flak she's getting for this stunt and then some.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing decades of incumbency gave her greater name recognition than her opponent.
She's been our Senator since 1992, LITERALLY before I was able to vote and I'm 40! Hell, before I knew what she was really about, I voted for her. It was definitely one of those "Well, she's been here so long, and she's a Democrat. What, you expect me to vote for a Republican?!"

But yeah, in primaries I've been voting for whomever rises up to the occassion to challenge her. We need fresh blood in here.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Democrats shouldn't have even showed up and legitimized this farce in the first place. So they could only disappoint from there, given their predilection for eating shit from the Repubs, and then afterwards thanking them for a good time.

Though I do like how amidst all this decorum and civility and praising each other for a well done hearing, we get this at the end:

/ JUST NOW: On the Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Lindsey Graham is holding a vote to schedule vote on Barrett nomination on Oct 22nd in violation of Committee rules. Sen Durban is only Dem present. Rules require 2 members of minority party are present. Graham holds vote anyway.

/ Sen Durbin notes that it is unprecedented to hold this vote before the hearings are complete. The Committee is still hearing witnesses this afternoon. Graham presses ahead w/the vote. Committee vote on Barrett will be held on 10/22.Rules don't matter. Only power matters to them.

/ And now McConnell has decided that full Senate floor debate on Barrett's confirmation will begin on Friday 10/23. They will literally vote to fill this seat a week before Election Day.

Just to kinda put a stamp on it all.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Feinstein has been basura for a long time, going back to her continually ardent support for the Patriot Act, the NSA, and her general jingoist and totalitarian views of national security agencies in this country, pro-AIPAC stances, support for the Protect IP act (PIPA) and more. Aside from her stances on a few social issues, I would hardly call her left-leaning. Long time past for her to go.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Chuck Schumer running that tiiiight ship. Mad respect. Very effective. Very good. Very strong.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's stunning that California has two of the worst representatives in congress. We deserve so much better than Pelosi and Feinsteins.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge deal, she's saying goodbye to a colleague she might not see ever again in a work capacity. If the Dems had huffed and puffed and gone insane during these hearings it wouldn't have changed a single thing. Amy was always getting confirmed, tough luck. Need to get out there and vote to change things like this. Disappointing to see people focusing on a total non-story like this in these times, so close to an election.
Enemy? This isn't a football game. I agree the hug was jarring but realize Congress agrees on a lot that we don't talk about or politicize. They are co-workers who disagree on major issues but come together daily. Was she supposed to foam at the mouth, throw her chair and scream "Democrats forever!!"? Obviously this is a scary time, I don't want to lose my right to marriage but we have to hold tight here.
Bad takes folks

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
It's stunning that California has two of the worst representatives in congress. We deserve so much better than Pelosi and Feinsteins.

The underlined is bs. Feinstein has always been a pro-business politician when she failed upwards into the mayorship of SF, which make sense for the legislation she has supported for decades now. Pelosi isn't perfect, but the two fall very differently on the philosophical political scale that they aren't even comparable between the two.

Though I won't fight you on the bolded part. I would also like fresh blood to represent San Francisco and California in general.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017

I agree that the two above are incredibly bad takes. Democrats don't get to call the entire confirmation process a sham and come around thanking the perpetrators of a sham process.

Her actions clearly undermined the narrative the the Senate Democrats are trying to convey, and Feinstein is clearly getting blow-back, for her insistence of decorum and her reckless behavior of hugging Graham that refuses to get COVID tested, is fucking well deserved.

The fact that this relic still represents me as a CA resident is boiling my blood atm.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the two above are incredibly bad takes. Democrats don't get to call the entire confirmation process a sham and come around thanking the perpetrators of a sham process.

Her actions clearly undermined the narrative the the Senate Democrats are trying to convey, and Feinstein is clearly getting blow-back, for her insistence of decorum and her reckless behavior of hugging Graham that refuses to get COVID tested, is fucking well deserved.

The fact that this relic still represents me as a CA resident is boiling my blood atm.
I'm not sure why anyone would defend this unless their mindset is "defend any democrat no matter what they do"

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She is way out of line, get her out. She used this opportunity as a public act to elevate the Republicans because she is part of a circle of politicians among the Democrats who are afraid of the rising popularity of a certain segment within their party. They will do everything they can to fuel a "moderate" narrative against members of their own party.

Once Biden is in power, be very vigilant, as the biggest threat seen amongst this circle once Trump is out of office is those Democrats who don't fit within the traditional political boundaries that were established among the Dems' leading figures of the past.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
NPR today mentioned how this got the biggest backlash from the progressive side yet. She's always been a moderate Democrat without much of a peep, but like the Tea Party pulled the GOP right, the progressives are pulling the Democratic party left.

It will be interesting to see the results, though I assume she will not run next election or die before her term is served.

what is it with the US and all these ridiculously old people holding positions of power.

For the Senate specifically, a lot of power comes from literal seniority (how much time you've spent in the position). This is part of the reason she is so powerful. She's been around for so long that she's on the most desired committees (and even heads them).

It's one way the US government functions that is meant to be good, but can result in unfortunate and unintended consequences.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018
As someone who has been really hoping Harrison could pull it off, this fucking infuriated me.

Being so open and theatrical about it makes me feel like she did it all purposefully. She wants it known that she supports the old white male power structure over this young black man rising up and challenging it, politics be damned. I question whether she would have pulled this horse shit if he were running against some young white moderate.

Fucking disgusting. I don't know how Cali politics work, but I hope she's primaried/challenged as soon as possible.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been really hoping Harrison could pull it off, this fucking infuriated me.

Being so open and theatrical about it makes me feel like she did it all purposefully. She wants it known that she supports the old white male power structure over this young black man rising up and challenging it, politics be damned. I question whether she would have pulled this horse shit if he were running against some young white moderate.

Fucking disgusting. I don't know how Cali politics work, but I hope she's primaried/challenged as soon as possible.
It is basically impossible to primary her. Personally, I think the reason is that we have a jungle primary (where it's not one Dem and one Republican but the top two vote-getters in the general), where she ends up dominating because CA Republicans will vote for her over the other Democrat, and she'll win.

WindsHowling

Banned
Sep 20, 2020

Hold tight? The fuck are you talking about? These people are supposed to represent us and they're bowing down to people who want us dead just because they're civil. Every single Dem who gets so easily fooled by civility as to not see these monsters for the monsters they are needs to fucking go, flat out, and if you disagree you're not on the left, you're a useful pawn for the GOP.

Oct 25, 2017

Do you legitimately feel that there is nothing in between throwing a chair and hugging a man who is not only proving himself a massive hypocrite and opportunist, but also someone who refuses to get tested for Covid, and in turn, herself bucking this common sense shit?

Don't speak nonsense.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
It is basically impossible to primary her. Personally, I think the reason is that we have a jungle primary (where it's not one Dem and one Republican but the top two vote-getters in the general), where she ends up dominating because CA Republicans will vote for her over the other Democrat, and she'll win.
The CA Republicans voted for the other candidate.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
If she wanted to say goodbye she could have done it later, off-camera. She specifically praised Graham for "one of the best hearings I've participated in", then hugged him. This was obviously a really ill-advised stunt to display bipartisanship by an awful Senator that's way out of touch.

And if she didn't realize this would look bad, that would speak to her political instincts being completely gone and would be even worse.