• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how well Birkenstock did in the survey coz it's almost impossible to see that gen on the street without them. Which, of course, is a far better choice than the ugly, ugly abomination that is Crocs lol

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
It's also household income, so that's two full-time working adults making ~$33k. Not inconceivable in the slightest.

Always amuses me when Americans on Era act like the average American is poor and struggling, especially as someone who is actually from a poor country.
I think it's because whenever an income thread pops up, poor-ERA speaks up the most. 😛

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I disabled imessage on my iphone. But also most my friends have android phones anyway. I usually use android phones as well, but I'm using an iphone now because I got a good deal on it.
I still don't understand any merrit of turning off iMessage, it's not like it would interfere with your communicating with non iOS friends?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But why? Having iMessage enabled doesn't stop you from texting with friends who are on Android.
I still don't understand any merrit of turning off iMessage, it's not like it would interfere with your communicating with non iOS friends?

I know, but there's also no benefit to having it on.

I do have a friend with an iphone, but at this point its funny because they complain about it.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I expect a number of these teens are lying on this survey in regards to status-related stuff. Some aspire to be iPhone owners and crypto traders and have the lifestyles the people they watch on the internet have. Fake it until you make it.

None of these kids are buying fucking NFTS unless they're using their parents' credit cards. And yeah, they're doing so because it's being hawked to them by a bunch of e celeb dipshits.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
d00.gif

Fuzzery

Oct 25, 2017
Another day, another thread of people wildly overestimating how poor people are in the US because of the bubbles they live in - as pointed out, $67,521 is the median (note not average, so Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos doesn't screw it up) household income in the US, which was actually down slightly due to the pandemic.

www.census.gov

Income and Poverty in the United States: 2020

This report presents data on income, earnings, income inequality & poverty in the United States based on information collected in the 2021 and earlier CPS ASEC.
Yup. Most everyone in America is very rich compared to the rest of the world

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the croc hate. They are comfortable. Who cares what someone else wears?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'd assume a lot of teens have hand me down phones. So given iPhones past market share, I'd imagine there's a lot of old iPhones knocking about in parents' cupboards. So to me it's not entirely surprised that 87% have iPhones.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Sandler?? What?

Crocs coming back. Please no.

I know a few people who gets hand me down iPhones so that contributes to such a high marketshare in the US among teens. My mom has an iphone 7 and she doesn't buy new phones. All her phones are hand me downs.

I hate to say it too, but not having a smart phone as a teen is social suicide.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Legit surprised that Snapchat is more popular than TikTok, I was under the impression that Snapchat was struggling for relevance and on its last legs.

I am officially old and out of touch.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Sandler was surprising to read at first but I suppose makes sense with Netflix being zoomers' dominant streaming platform where I think almost all his old films plus the Netflix produced ones are located.

Sandler has put out a lot of garbage but a lot of his older work still holds up, Madison, Gilmore, Wedding Singer, these are all still great.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Have a teenage stepdaughter and can confirm crocks are acceptable again
And green bubbles are poverty mode

what's weirding me out is them wearing AC/DC, nirvana and Metallica shirts. Asked her about the metallica shirt and she said she just likes the art..
Started talking about pushead and all the other stuff he's done and her eye's glazed over. lol
The pendulum of fashion always swings back

iq56kl0goj801.jpg

The iPhone/Android shit is funny. like adult console wars
I think most is a matter of taste and maybe american kids don't have any, but that's not why they choose iOS.
Totally a status symbol at my kid's school

When I used to be the company computer guy I always disabled iMessage on people's phones because otherwise I'd get complaints about some of their messages not reaching other people. Shit was broken. probably fine now
That was also when iMessage didn't really have many features so most didn't notice

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Have a teenage stepdaughter and can confirm crocks are acceptable again
And green bubbles are poverty mode

what's weirding me out is them wearing AC/DC, nirvana and Metallica shirts. Asked her about the metallica shirt and she said she just likes the art..
Started talking about pushead and all the other stuff he's done and her eye's glazed over. lol
The pendulum of fashion always swings back

Get her the Master of Puppets album to go with the shirt

Either way wearing a band shirt without listening to that band is kinda weird.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Legit surprised that Snapchat is more popular than TikTok, I was under the impression that Snapchat was struggling for relevance and on its last legs.

I am officially old and out of touch.

My 15 year old is on snap constantly as are all her friends. That is how they communicate. Text is only for boring stuff. Snap has replaced email and text. Hell, she barely uses email.
TikTok is when she wants to watch stupid videos.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Adam Sandler being #1 and 10% buying NFTs?
There is no fucking way thats accurate. Im calling Bullshit on this study.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My 15 year old is on snap constantly as are all her friends. That is how they communicate. Text is only for boring stuff. Snap has replaced email and text. Hell, she barely uses email.
TikTok is when she wants to watch stupid videos.

yeah, snapchat and tiktok have very different uses, so its not surprising. Snapchat is good for just random chatting and sharing dumb pictures, because its stuff you have no need to save like if you were texting. Tiktok is where you go to waste time watching videos

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Crocs were certifiably back when Nicki Minaj posted that picture of her in them months ago and they sold out everywhere extremely fast as a result.

I'm surprised people are surprised, but era bubble and all that 😅

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Very depressing that Chick Fil A is #1. Would have hoped that younger folks would be more aware and proactive about patronizing an openly homophobic organization.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
I wonder what's the % of teens that have an account in Resetera

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Can you walk a mile daily in them? I just don't see how they could be anywhere near as comfortable as tennis shoes. They look like blister machines.

Yes, I use to wear them for 8+ hour shifts when I worked in restaurants and I wear them all day out and about unless its winter and I have boots on.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've actually never seen a teen without an iPhone. Damn Apple really killed it with marketing

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
sounds about right. i don't know one young person that has an android other than my little brother and that's only because he gets my moms hand-me-downs