• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Bewildering that so many people in this thread seem to be equating iPhones with the latest releases or prioritising the 'status symbol' (even though the 'status symbol' aspect is about ten years out-of-date).

While maybe that is a factor, iPhones are supported for years (6S is still supported) which makes them ideal phones to hand down when parents upgrade (and the benefit is bolstered when you consider that the US doesn't use WhatsApp). On top of that you've budget iPhones (and prior-releases) which are similarly supported for years preventing the need to continuously upgrade a teen's phone. In the US in particular, because the percentage of iPhone ownership is so high, you're naturally going to get a situation where as parents upgrades they may pass on their phone to their teen.

There's also the factor that looking at the top app lists, many of them have an iPhone-first development prioritisation (because of the distribution of revenue amongst operating systems) so the 'best' experience for these apps, if you want continuous suppport, may be found on iPhones. In

Status may play a role, but I doubt it's nearly as significant as people in this thread are portraying.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
87% have iPhones? Being that popular, any day now owning an iPhone will become uncool and I'll be ahead of the curve with my hipster Android.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised Android doesn't have something similar yet. Just a matter of time, most other messengers have something like it these days...
iMessage is proprietary system on top of SMS. Google tried to get the market to move to RCS, but that breaks Apple's iron grip on the texting market in the U.S., so they will never willingly support it.

Best we can hope for at this point is just making it more seamless until the market forces Apple into some kind of standard.
www.theverge.com

Android Messages update handles Apple iMessage reactions properly

A much neater interface for iPhone to Android messaging.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
iMessage is proprietary system on top of SMS. Google tried to get the market to move to RCS, but that breaks Apple's iron grip on the texting market in the U.S., so they will never willingly support it.

Best we can hope for at this point is just making it more seamless until the market forces Apple into some kind of standard.
www.theverge.com

Android Messages update handles Apple iMessage reactions properly

A much neater interface for iPhone to Android messaging.
I mean just the "linking a message" like Discord, Slack, Signal, iMessage, etc.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Lol at the male to female ratio for crypto and NFTs.

Statistics backing up the crypto is astrology for men joke.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
What's not to like about a tapback? It's quick and easy and to the point. In a group chat especially they are very useful.

dunno, but I would prefer to just type something. Maybe its the boomer in me. I never use emoji either. Well, at least never the default emoji, as I do use emotes on discord or twitch. Just never in a texting context

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Another day, another thread of people wildly overestimating how poor people are in the US because of the bubbles they live in - as pointed out, $67,521 is the median (note not average, so Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos doesn't screw it up) household income in the US, which was actually down slightly due to the pandemic.

www.census.gov

Income and Poverty in the United States: 2020

This report presents data on income, earnings, income inequality & poverty in the United States based on information collected in the 2021 and earlier CPS ASEC.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently joined the Apple ecosystem. Its interconnectivity is frankly unmatched. Fuck those prices, though.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i don't believe it. definitely don't get it. could be possible. could be that damned drip meme.

It's a bullshit title, at least the NFT bit.

sneaky punctuation markes be damned, i know clickbait methods(since this forum uses clickbait methods for threads all the fucking time), and that's one of them

What's not to like about a tapback? It's quick and easy and to the point. In a group chat especially they are very useful.
fucking waste of my time, lol. i don't want to hear a notification beep over someone's fucking Like.

make that shit silent and don't involve me, and it's fine.

Last edited:

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
its crazy how people keep perpetuating this wild ass , Fox News-level myth that you have to be rich to have an iPhone. Apple wouldn't be a fucking trillion or whatever dollar company if only rich people could afford iPhones. You might as well say iPhones are only for hipsters.

My daughter had a new iPhone se, it was $160 new. $400 retail but they go on sale often.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
That settles it. Teens are getting Crocs and Adam Sandler DVDs for all their birthday and christmas gifts.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My daughter had a new iPhone se, it was $160 new. $400 retail but they go on sale often.

Yeah. And iphones have a big used market. I'm using a iphone 12 mini that I bought used. It was like 6 months old and saved almost $200 over buying one new.

Is it at all weird to anyone else that 47% of the survey was teens in the south? I have a feeling that may be swaying some of this data. Honestly, I'm just grasping at straws as to how Adam fucking Sandler is their favorite celebrity.

It probably skews some of the data a bit due to regional differences, but probably not by a lot.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Is it at all weird to anyone else that 47% of the survey was teens in the south? I have a feeling that may be swaying some of this data. Honestly, I'm just grasping at straws as to how Adam fucking Sandler is their favorite celebrity.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I mean just the "linking a message" like Discord, Slack, Signal, iMessage, etc.
That's what RCS would have provided. But it's meaningless if iMessage doesn't support it, because that's all most iPhone users use in the U.S. Which is again a big reason why so many teens want iPhones. They don't want to be the one that sticks out and breaks the group chat, or can't share HD video, or can't Airdrop.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Bewildering that so many people in this thread seem to be equating iPhones with the latest releases or prioritising the 'status symbol' (even though the 'status symbol' aspect is about ten years out-of-date).

While maybe that is a factor, iPhones are supported for years (6S is still supported) which makes them ideal phones to hand down when parents upgrade (and the benefit is bolstered when you consider that the US doesn't use WhatsApp). On top of that you've budget iPhones (and prior-releases) which are similarly supported for years preventing the need to continuously upgrade a teen's phone. In the US in particular, because the percentage of iPhone ownership is so high, you're naturally going to get a situation where as parents upgrades they may pass on their phone to their teen.

There's also the factor that looking at the top app lists, many of them have an iPhone-first development prioritisation (because of the distribution of revenue amongst operating systems) so the 'best' experience for these apps, if you want continuous suppport, may be found on iPhones. In

Status may play a role, but I doubt it's nearly as significant as people in this thread are portraying.

Most people could not tell you how long iPhones are supported for or which platforms app developers prioritize for development. People in tech enthusiast circles forget that your average person doesn't pay attention to any of that.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most people could not tell you how long iPhones are supported for or which platforms app developers prioritize for development. People in tech enthusiast circles forget that your average person doesn't pay attention to any of that.
They are saying that since Apple supports devices for such a long time, the longevity of an iPhone helps in overall usage in the US. I know plenty of people that hand off their old phones to a parent or sibling when they get a new iPhone.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Another day, another thread of people wildly overestimating how poor people are in the US because of the bubbles they live in - as pointed out, $67,521 is the median (note not average, so Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos doesn't screw it up) household income in the US, which was actually down slightly due to the pandemic.

www.census.gov

Income and Poverty in the United States: 2020

This report presents data on income, earnings, income inequality & poverty in the United States based on information collected in the 2021 and earlier CPS ASEC.
It's also household income, so that's two full-time working adults making ~$33k. Not inconceivable in the slightest.

Always amuses me when Americans on Era act like the average American is poor and struggling, especially as someone who is actually from a poor country.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Those doubting the iPhone numbers...this is anecdotal of course, but I am a teacher in a low income school where all of my students qualify for free lunch and breakfast and they virtually all have iPhones. This isn't meant as any sort of commentary on how people should be spending their money, but they are truly, in my experience, ubiquitous with the teen experience

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
I've been an IPhone user for the last two years and I've never used IMessage lol WhatsApp is THE messaging app over here, kinda crazy when you think about it.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
My sisters bosses got her an IPhone specifically because of IMessage. They hated it soooo much in group chats and she was the only one using an android. How messed up is that.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My sister teaches middle school and said they loved "Hubbie Halloween" when it came out. Also my other sister is in her early 20s but is also down with crocs.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Where's ResetEra on that list? Slightly below Adam Sandler?

Resetera hates Adam Sandler. Teens love Adam Sandler. Therefore, teens hate Resetera.

mathematical-equation-on-a-chalkboard-picture-id505776332

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's also household income, so that's two full-time working adults making ~$33k. Not inconceivable in the slightest.

Always amuses me when Americans on Era act like the average American is poor and struggling, especially as someone who is actually from a poor country.

Right - like I'm a social democrat who believes in a Nordic-style welfare state, but at the same time, this myth that everybody in America is a struggling serf under the evil boot of capitalism and is a single paycheck lost from financial destruction just iisn't true, and honestly, probably hurts our arguments at times, when you try to convince some middle-class family in exurban Wisconsin they're standing on the edge of some gaping maw. of financial ruin.

Like, yes, most people in America live paycheck to paycheck, but that's only because peoples spending goes up and down as they make money - I was 'living paycheck to paycheck' when. I was making far less than I make now, but I'm also living paycheck to paycheck now that I'm doing a little better.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Our parents and Gen Xers thought we liked weird and dumb shit too when we were teens. At least social issues are on a rise, And saw a lot of Teens eat Veg which is pretty neat.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
They are saying that since Apple supports devices for such a long time, the longevity of an iPhone helps in overall usage in the US. I know plenty of people that hand off their old phones to a parent or sibling when they get a new iPhone.

While I did miss that point specifically, I still think the fact that most people aren't aware of how long phones are "supported" (which can mean a few things itself) is relevant. Since most people aren't aware of that, I doubt it factors into whether or not they pass the phone down. Certainly not to the level that it would affect these numbers. They're just going to care if it works or not.... unless the kid says they don't want an Android phone, then they decide whether that's too bad or to go ahead and get them an iPhone.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
There's been this perception for a while. I remember reading somewhere someone theorizing that one of the big advantages, intentional or not, that Apple has is that celebrities almost unanimously use iPhones. In a celebrity obsessed culture, the fact that your average person can't afford the same car, or house, or clothes as their favorite celebrity or actor or singer or influencer but can have the same phone as them, or the same earbuds as them, really creates this illusion of it being a luxury product, even though anyone with half decent credit can walk into a Cricket store and get the same one.

Yeah iPhones are basically given away by carriers these days due to all the incentives and financing programs. It hasnt been a rich person thing since maybe 2010-2011? I see people look down on Android users in dating apps as well. Crazy how humans are great at finding ways to ostracize groups of people.

Green bubbles fuck up the whole group chat too because it forces SMS on everyone. Tiny, shit quality videos if you send them and stuff like "liking" or "hearting" message converts the action to an annoying "So-and-so liked MESSAGE_TEXT" instead of just adding a thumbs up.

My sister recently got an Android and we had to banish her to a separate family group chat where we don't share media because my parents were annoyed that the videos of their grandkids became too low quality. She very much regrets the purchase now.

We moved our main group chat to Signal since the 2 android holdovers were ruining it for the rest of us. Green bubbles get sent to the shadow realm.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Do Zoomers have Adam Sandler movie nights? Nothing like a frolicking good time with some Chick-Fil-A takeout and a Billy Madison and Jack & Jill double feature.

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously. It's such bullshit and people just keep falling for it.

Fucking insane. Even outside of the US where Apple pricing is somewhat worse.

I have tons of friends with iPhones in Eastern Europe. They like them, they just don't care about them. From iPhone 7 to 13. They work well, so their job and you just forget about them. They are not interesting gadgets anymore to these people. They are tools.

An interesting gadget is a Galaxy Fold. You pay the price but it's kind of cool.

I work in IT, mostly with Linux. I use Apple stuff all around. Just because people use their phones as a tool and don't want to fuck around with custom ROMs and rice the shit out of them doesn't mean they are tech illiterate. It's just a fact that you can do everything you need to do when it comes to work/entertainment on an iPhone.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Man people are still convinced in 2022 that owning an iPhone is somehow only for the wealthy?

Most carriers hand out iPhones for free, and iPhones going back to 2015 are still supported with new operating system updates.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Man people are still convinced in 2022 that owning an iPhone is somehow only for the wealthy?

Most carriers hand out iPhones for free, and iPhones going back to 2015 are still supported with new operating system updates.

Yeah, most iPhones I see in people's hands are still ones with bezels, 8 and earlier. Even the original iPhone SE is still supported.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I have to say: the Crocs renaissance is something I really didn't see coming.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah iPhones are basically given away by carriers these days due to all the incentives and financing programs. It hasnt been a rich person thing since maybe 2010-2011? I see people look down on Android users in dating apps as well. Crazy how humans are great at finding ways to ostracize groups of people.

We moved our main group chat to Signal since the 2 android holdovers were ruining it for the rest of us. Green bubbles get sent to the shadow realm.
lmao i hate the future
i have been on apple since the beginning and never understood the whole green bubble this or that thing, but having to even be aware of these things is annoying. family chats and video quality differences and making different groups based on different services, and all this stuff is apportioned and planned from the top down for business reasons, and i'm just watching the real world effects in real time.

it stinks. the incompatabilities stink, the way people have worked around them stink, the way these things are provided to us, sucks. We can jump in an embrace the suck, which has been the life mantra of many for YEARS, but I don't want to.

lotta old people yelling at clouds in here
yes yes.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why would you disable iMessage?
When i was on a plan that gave me 1 gig of data a month, i had iMessage turned off just as a way to save a couple of MB over the course of a month, because this was back in a time where our plan had "unlimited texting" as a selling point instead of something that was just assumed to exist. It's -really- funny to look back and go "man, remember when I had to remember what time "Night and Weekend" minutes kicked in so my parents didn't murder me for talking to a friend for an hour?

Oct 27, 2017
While I did miss that point specifically, I still think the fact that most people aren't aware of how long phones are "supported" (which can mean a few things itself) is relevant. Since most people aren't aware of that, I doubt it factors into whether or not they pass the phone down. Certainly not to the level that it would affect these numbers. They're just going to care if it works or not.... unless the kid says they don't want an Android phone, then they decide whether that's too bad or to go ahead and get them an iPhone.
The bolded was specifically the point so I'm not sure how this was possible.

People aren't aware 'iPhones are supported for another 5 years therefore I'll give my kid my iPhone', but people are aware 'my phone still works, gets new features, and apps on it still work, so I'll give my kid the phone as it's good enough'.

The phones having long support aids in the value in the second-hand market being sustained, increasing the likelihood the phone gets recirculated (and then used) rather than just discarded; this increases the likelihood of handing it down and the likelihood of it being resold. This makes 'old' phones still perceived as still being valuable/usable to teens, rather than just 'old'/'worthless'.

The prioritisation of app development on iPhones is relevant because it means even with older, cheaper phones teens are still able to use many of the latest features on their favourite app whereas those features may not be prioritised on Android phones; Snapchat for example allowed the addition of music to Snaps on iOS far before Android supported it. Kids don't know 'this app's development is prioritised on iOS' but they do know 'I can add music onto my Snaps on iOS but not Android'.

We know explicitly the volume of iPhone sales is outpaced by the share of iOS usage, and that's a clear indication of how they're far larger factors than 'its a status symbol' for a teenage market which largely can't afford to self-purchase the latest devices but absolutely can afford (and are willing to get) older models because they still get the features their friends have (or alternatively they'll purchase a new model and then hold on to that for a few years).

Last edited: