• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
From what my younger brother told me, iPhones are still kind of a status thing and having an Android is considered "not cool". No one wants to be the guy in the group chat with a green bubble.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Looking at the unpopularity of Facebook and Twitter, I am left wondering if these services will eventually just die off as their users do, or will these teens start using them over time as they age? I know the companies involved will simply buy the other popular platforms as they emerge in order to stay in business, but this is more about the long-term viability of Facebook or Twitter as a brand and named service. I'm tempted to think Twitter will continue on simply because of it's utility as a news service, but I wonder if Facebook will simply "die off" over time?

Also...

I know, right?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
From what my younger brother told me, iPhones are still kind of a status thing and having an Android is considered "not cool". No one wants to be the guy in the group chat with a green bubble.
It's so weird because my phone is a samsung that folds out into a sick tablet, but if I was 15 years younger I'd get laughed at for having a poor person phone.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Why are Iphones so popular in the US?

Yup.

B3-CB781_1017ST_2_20181017204033.jpg

If the iMessage wall is ever breached, that iPhone market lead will drop like a rock.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even that number is sheer bullshit. There are about 67 million Zoomers in the United States. 2.2% of that is 1,474,000. There are just 360,000 wallets on the planet that hold NFTs according to https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...e-value-of-the-market-financial-times.534989/

Piper Sandler is an investment bank and entirely full of shit.
It's a mystery why they are full of shit, no one can tell -

Piper Sandler does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports. As a result, investors should be aware that the firm may have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this report.

Science can only speculate.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Bullshit that 87% of teens have iPhones. That's not even remotely believable.
Little kids walking with $500+ iPhones and iPads. Whats hard to believe?

Edit: phone plans ok. Just thinking about seeing for example babies with tablets and it strikes me these kids having all these fancy gadgets at that age. So 80%+ of kids having them is like no brainer.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

If the iMessage wall is ever breached, that iPhone market lead will drop like a rock.

Having to use WhatsApp or see green messages signals to most Americans that you're either poor, a weird "Android is better!!!" user, or you're distant/international. It doesn't help this pretense that iMessage is also pretty much the optimal experience anyway, from the content you can share, to the "read messages," to the AirDrop features and sharing location features, using iPhone-to-iPhone communication is not only a status symbol, but a technological superiority.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

There's been this perception for a while. I remember reading somewhere someone theorizing that one of the big advantages, intentional or not, that Apple has is that celebrities almost unanimously use iPhones. In a celebrity obsessed culture, the fact that your average person can't afford the same car, or house, or clothes as their favorite celebrity or actor or singer or influencer but can have the same phone as them, or the same earbuds as them, really creates this illusion of it being a luxury product, even though anyone with half decent credit can walk into a Cricket store and get the same one.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
You folks hating on Crocs. They're some nice looking ones. Granted 99% of the time I'm wearing anything similar to a croc is in my own home. People wear what they like.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Title should be updated to specify that they were looking almost exclusively at high income or middle class teens.

High income? That is pretty much the median income in the US. If both parents worked and made $33,878 a year ($16.28/hr) you would be there which is more than reasonable for most households. Obviously single parent households would have a much harder time reaching that.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Green bubbles fuck up the whole group chat too because it forces SMS on everyone. Tiny, shit quality videos if you send them and stuff like "liking" or "hearting" message converts the action to an annoying "So-and-so liked MESSAGE_TEXT" instead of just adding a thumbs up.

My sister recently got an Android and we had to banish her to a separate family group chat where we don't share media because my parents were annoyed that the videos of their grandkids became too low quality. She very much regrets the purchase now.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
It is weird how I have Samsung folds and some people didn't even know what they were when they saw it.
I guess were in a tech knowledgeable people bubble.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
awesome, I am still trending as a teen

very legal and very cool

I thought gen z were OK, but if they love Adam Sandler and Crocs, I'm not so sure.

whats wrong with crocs or adam sandler?

Yeah, someone have their teenager hop on their Era account and explain this to me.

There are lots of memes about Adam Sandler just dressing like a normal dood instead of being decked out in designer brands. He is seen as an "everyman" who doesn't give a fuck.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Little kids walking with $500+ iPhones and iPads. Whats hard to believe?

Do you interact with teens much? Because yes, all the teens that I coach have "expensive" phones. And these kids don't come from affluent backgrounds-- almost all are middle class. It's not like their parents pay up front-- everybody has a family plan and the cost of the phones is spread out monthly.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
My 11 year old has a Iphone. It was free as part of the family plan. You don't need to be affluent to have iphones.

its crazy how people keep perpetuating this wild ass , Fox News-level myth that you have to be rich to have an iPhone. Apple wouldn't be a fucking trillion or whatever dollar company if only rich people could afford iPhones. You might as well say iPhones are only for hipsters.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
its crazy how people keep perpetuating this wild ass , Fox News-level myth that you have to be rich to have an iPhone. Apple wouldn't be a fucking trillion or whatever dollar company if only rich people could afford iPhones. You might as well say iPhones are only for hipsters.
Seriously. It's such bullshit and people just keep falling for it.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird because my phone is a samsung that folds out into a sick tablet, but if I was 15 years younger I'd get laughed at for having a poor person phone.

Yeah, it's interesting that there's still this wide perception that all Android phones are "cheap", outside of tech enthusiast circles. There are cheap Android phones, yes, but the most popular ones tend to be the ones that sit in the same price range as iPhones. Then you have the bleeding edge ones that are actually quite a bit more expensive. It also doesn't matter if it's an old iPhone, just has to be an iPhone. Some iPhone 8 users would look down on an S21 Ultra.

There's been this perception for a while. I remember reading somewhere someone theorizing that one of the big advantages, intentional or not, that Apple has is that celebrities almost unanimously use iPhones. In a celebrity obsessed culture, the fact that your average person can't afford the same car, or house, or clothes as their favorite celebrity or actor or singer or influencer but can have the same phone as them, or the same earbuds as them, really creates this illusion of it being a luxury product, even though anyone with half decent credit can walk into a Cricket store and get the same one.

Never thought of this, but it makes a lot of sense. We may debate if Apple is more of a hardware or services company, but they are arguably just as much a lifestyle company. While people made fun of the look of Airpods at first, it quickly became a status symbol to be wearing them. Sony XM3s? Not using that cheap crap.

Yup.

This is why Apple will likely not add RCS functionality when communicating with phones that support it, even though they absolutely could.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. It is hilarious how of touch so many people on this board are.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Green bubbles fuck up the whole group chat too because it forces SMS on everyone. Tiny, shit quality videos if you send them and stuff like "liking" or "hearting" message converts the action to an annoying "So-and-so liked MESSAGE_TEXT" instead of just adding a thumbs up.

My sister recently got an Android and we had to banish her to a separate family group chat where we don't share media because my parents were annoyed that the videos of their grandkids became too low quality. She very much regrets the purchase now.
Couldn't you just use Signal or Whatsapp for example? Like, it might be a small annoyance to you, but it's your sister. You could keep sharing all the media you want in the family group and have her there.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah, it's interesting that there's still this wide perception that all Android phones are "cheap", outside of tech enthusiast circles. There are cheap Android phones, yes, but the most popular ones tend to be the ones that sit in the same price range as iPhones. Then you have the bleeding edge ones that are actually quite a bit more expensive. It also doesn't matter if it's an old iPhone, just has to be an iPhone. Some iPhone 8 users would look down on an S21 Ultra.
One way I've seen it described that I really latched onto is "Apple and Android are like Coke and Pepsi" - for a lot of Gen Z Americans the iPhone is the smart phone and everything else - no matter how good it is or isn't - is a secondary choice that most would not choose over an iPhone. It is very hard to challenge or unseat the cultural perception that one product is the universal first choice and other options are secondary.

I think the ticket to unseating the iPhone probably won't be better competition, it will be making the iPhone worse. Apple would have to really fuck up multiple iterations of the iPhone or iOS in a row to the point where people actively do not want their "first choice" anymore.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you just use Signal or Whatsapp for example? Like, it might be a small annoyance to you, but it's your sister. You could keep sharing all the media you want in the family group and have her there.
This would almost certainly be too confusing for my parents. They're already baffled by stuff like Facebook messenger.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Oooh, i'm starting to like Gen Z :). (Last I heard a few years ago was the claim you were getting more conservatives back in Gen Z so I kinda had a poor view).

They sound like they're moving in the direction we should.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
No, what's dumb is the whole "liking/loving" texts - so childish.
Why would that be childish? Like if you say a nice comment in a live discussion, you probably get some reaction. The likes are just a digital way of representing a simple reaction, instead of always having to a respond something like "nice" or "cool" or whatever.

This would almost certainly be too confusing for my parents. They're already baffled by stuff like Facebook messenger.
I understand old people having issues with tech, but it doesn't seem very nice if your own parents aren't willing to try to learn a new, overall fairly simple thing to properly include their own child.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Would things like NBA Top Shot fall under that 360K Wallets with NFTs in them? As far as I know, you can't transfer NBA Top Shot off the platform and into a wallet, but 99% of people on the planet would probably think they were NFTs if you explained to them what NBA Top Shot is

If Top Shot isn't included in the NFT wallet numbers then they're basically worthless, because Top Shot is probably the biggest way a normie would interact with NFTs.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No, what's dumb is the whole "liking/loving" texts - so childish.

I personally don't like it, but its not childish. Just what some people prefer to do.

Which is why I never understood why android = poor. Yeah the cheapest phones are android, but a lot of them are just as expensive as the range if iphones.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Cute!

To me, it just feels more like superfluous social media BS rather than a straight-forward functional (and adjustable) messaging service.

Regardless, I used to use iPhones, but after using the newer Galaxy phones, there's no way I'm going back.
I'm actually surprised Android doesn't have something similar yet. Just a matter of time, most other messengers have something like it these days...