• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Those colors, that is some late eighties early nineties shit. Lol.

They look like they were built to invade Miami.

In the late 80's and 90's, they stopped making transformers actually transform into things that were real, they just transformed into random shit. Yea this bot becomes a giant... squid bot thing. This bot turns into a helicopter, hover.... something, dunno. They did a few normal cars here and there but so much of what they were doing was just wild random things and no longer "robots in disguise"

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
In the late 80's and 90's, they stopped making transformers actually transform into things that were real, they just transformed into random shit. Yea this bot becomes a giant... squid bot thing. This bot turns into a helicopter, hover.... something, dunno. They did a few normal cars here and there but so much of what they were doing was just wild random things and no longer "robots in disguise"

I think they got in trouble with all the realistic vehicles that they had to get licenses for so after they went through all their diaclone backlog they just did futuristic vehicles/monsters and then all the gimmicks started: headmasters, targetmasters, powermasters, pretenders, triple changer headmasters, pretender combiners, micromasters etc. until finally they ate themselves and came out with "actionmasters" which were... non transforming figures with accessories that transformed.

They weren't hyper articulated or anything, just non transforming robots that still looked like they could transform (ie they still had car parts) but couldn't. And then the line died (for a bit), I mean who would've thought?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Transforms into an actually working, if limited (14x) microscope, and also into the tank/artillery thingie shown on the right (which can hold a Microman pilot). The Japanese version shoots spring-loaded missiles, too. Frankly leaps and bounds in terms of playability vs rock lords. :D
Don't get me wrong, transforming into a microscope is cool. Transforming into a microscope in a way that makes sense when you're having your robots duel one another, however...

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I had a couple of these. Found them again a couple of weeks back while I was helping my parents clear their attic. They were just as rubbish as I remember.

However I also found this thing, which is possibly the most bad-ass toy ever conceived:

c6J7XcC.jpg

The Action Force Roboskull.

(Tie Fighter + Skull) * Guns = ROBOSKULL

It has guns for eyes. Guns for eyes.

Oct 31, 2017
I had a couple of these. Found them again a couple of weeks back while I was helping my parents clear their attic. They were just as rubbish as I remember.

However I also found this thing, which is possibly the most bad-ass toy ever conceived:

c6J7XcC.jpg

That is excellent. Looks like it could be a 40k chaos thing

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Don't get me wrong, transforming into a microscope is cool. Transforming into a microscope in a way that makes sense when you're having your robots duel one another, however...

Yet few people level that criticism towards, say, Soundwave; probably less of a question of being useful in a fight, than it is of being 80s cool. :)

c6J7XcC.jpg

Look how happy it is! This is probably the most metal thing that a piece of plastic can aspire to be.

Oct 26, 2017
That's probably why I got bought so many as extra gifts at birthdays/Christmas if they were going so cheap. Used to love how much articulation there was on the vehicles compared to other army-based toys.
I remember just really liking the designs and the concept of these supersized military vehicles. It's the proportions I think, maybe because they didn't have to accommodate action figures so there's no oversized cockpits, etc so despite the crazy concepts they still had a feeling of realism to them. It was more like I was collecting models than toys and in retrospect it probably directly led into my interest in Warhammer 40k a couple of years down the line.

c6J7XcC.jpg

This thing's pretty infamous due to it being metal as fuck.

I actually had an Action Force annual that I'd gotten from some charity shop when I was maybe 8 or so and it had few pages dedicated to showcasing the whole range. I clearly remember the skull.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Perceptor strikes me as a good one. It's a more *interesting* item than a rock, but heavily falls down when you consider about how it might be actually used in 'action figure' play:

IrSiUVn.png

Transform into a.... microscope?
This was my first Transformer.

As far as Rock Lords go, my friend had a few and we'd transform them into rocks and throw them at my Zoids and his Centurions. The 80s, man.

I can think of at least three G1 shark Transformers.
There was another combiner land-shark called Rippersnapper, and there was a non-combiner land-shark from Transformers:The Movie called Gnaw.
Wasn't Gnaw supposed to be a frog/piranha hybrid? My son still plays with mine.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was my first Transformer.

As far as Rock Lords go, my friend had a few and we'd transform them into rocks and throw them at my Zoids and his Centurions. The 80s, man.

Wasn't Gnaw supposed to be a frog/piranha hybrid? My son still plays with mine.

Gnaw is the toy version of bots that were called Sharkticons in the movie.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I was born in 1984, so I have weird half memories of a bunch of 80's toys. This stirs something in me... I think I had Nuggit? Anyway, keep the esoteric 80's/90's toys coming so I can dredge up more memories.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yet few people level that criticism towards, say, Soundwave; probably less of a question of being useful in a fight, than it is of being 80s cool. :)

That's a very fair point - was Soundwave from the same root line of toys as Perceptor? It'd make a lot of sense.

(I suppose with Soundwave at least the cassettes made sense as action figures! He's just a *really* weirdly-shaped APC!)

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I had some rocklords and I fucking loved them. I particularly remember the shiny gold, silver and copper ones, they really stand out.

Looking at that picture I remember having at least four different ones. Nugget, Slimestone, Boulder for sure. Sadly, all are gone.

I think it was an excellent way to compete with Transformers. Not as popular, but it filled a niche because rocks are cool.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a very fair point - was Soundwave from the same root line of toys as Perceptor? It'd make a lot of sense.

(I suppose with Soundwave at least the cassettes made sense as action figures! He's just a *really* weirdly-shaped APC!)

Yeah, they were both from the Micro Change line.
Hasbro got desperate for more designs to license pretty fast. For example, at least three of the Transformers from the second year were originally designed for mecha animes.(Jetfire, Whirl, and Roadbuster)

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of weird toys, did you have these in the US?

s-l640.jpg

giraya-ninja---bandai---giraya--carded--p-image-231284-grande.jpg

Weird stretchable black rubber toys with plastic armors on top. They were roughly the size of a GI Joe toy I think. The TV show was fun too.

I had a few of them and they went through hell. Hell.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of weird toys, did you have these in the US?

s-l640.jpg

giraya-ninja---bandai---giraya--carded--p-image-231284-grande.jpg

Weird stretchable black rubber toys with plastic armors on top. They were roughly the size of a GI Joe toy I think. The TV show was fun too.

I had a few of them and they went through hell. Hell.

Oct 26, 2017
Monster in my pocket. Had quite a few of these, I liked the brief descriptions of each monster that came with them it fed into my childhood fascination with folklore and mythologies.
They all had points values going up to 30 indicating which ones were the strongest. Then the new range came out and all of a sudden these ones go up to 100!
Even as a child I remember that striking me as manipulative, you don't have the strongest monsters any more, you need these new ones!
Pretty much killed my interest as I recall.

a066cd1a3908f7a7f33467af8c78fd4f.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, they were both from the Micro Change line.
Hasbro got desperate for more designs to license pretty fast. For example, at least three of the Transformers from the second year were originally designed for mecha animes.(Jetfire, Whirl, and Roadbuster)

Yeah, Megatron, Blaster and Reflector were also from Micro Change, along with the mini car bots, that lion that turns into a ball that someone posted earlier, and the transforming watch that a lot of people had.

Transformers also licensed the designs for Beetras for the Deluxe Insecticons (the Jetfire Macross designs, the Deluxe Dorvack designs and these were all from Takotoku). They also licensed the design for Shockwave from some Korean company (which is why Radio Shack had a similar non transformer shockwave "knock off")

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

That's correct, alongside Megatron himself (but not Shockwave), and, weirdly enough, the mini-vehicles like Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Gears, Huffer, etc. (even in-fiction, they're tiny robots that transform into toy cars).

Of course, that's not nearly the most weirdly mundane thing to come out of Microman, either:
spy_heli_cup_noodle04.jpg

spy_heli_anime.png

I guess it was a matter of time until he became a somewhat more traditional APC. :)
81P2c9SUUoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(thanks Hasbro for naming the newest line "War for Cybertron" too, making it a nightmare to search for images of the older, videogame tie-in line).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's correct, alongside Megatron himself (but not Shockwave), and, weirdly enough, the mini-vehicles like Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Gears, Huffer, etc. (even in-fiction, they're tiny robots that transform into toy cars).

Of course, that's not nearly the most weirdly mundane thing to come out of Microman, either:
spy_heli_cup_noodle04.jpg

spy_heli_anime.png

I guess it was a matter of time until he became a somewhat more traditional APC. :)
81P2c9SUUoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(thanks Hasbro for naming the newest line "War for Cybertron" too, making it a nightmare to search for images of the older, videogame tie-in line).

That cup o noodle one was from a more recent Microman line (which also featured a lot of cool stuff, like a base that transformed into a Playstation-like console). Though the old Microchange line did have cassettes that turned into a helicopter and a bike for Micromen.

Hasbro was kind of hamstrung by gun laws (or something) so that's why Megatron always turns into a tank now. And in Siege, they made Shockwave and Soundwave into... odd looking space cruisers, though Shockwave still has an unofficial gun mode and Soundwave has a lamp mode. Then they retooled Soundwave to turn into a cassette player and made him a Walmart exclusive.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I had one of these but had no idea what toy line it was or where it came from. Now I know.

But the most mundane transforming toy I can remember was my friend's car that transformed into an armchair. Another one that I never saw in the box and so don't have a clue what it was from.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I had these 2, I genuinely liked the first one. They were both second hand so no accessories or anything.
6340360631463546443-jpg.28256675
18d70f4867c395204f8c90cb9e9ecdf4.jpg

The other seemingly obscure toys I had were Mega Force. I don't run across many people who remember these. The smallest ones came i packs of 3 metal vehicles and were somewhere between Micro Machines and Hotwheels in terms of size then the bigger ones were these crazy huge military vehicles that resembled bosses from bullet hell shooters. Even today I think they're cool as hell.
Air-Assault-Backlash.jpg

brim-3.jpg

14334707.jpg

woah, I had those guys as well.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
And now I just remembered that the transforming egg toys I mentioned earlier in the thread were actually licensed by Mattel and released as part of the He-man line to go with their meteor men:

he-man.fandom.com

Meteorbs

Meteorbs were originally a Japanese toyline of transforming eggs from Bandai called Tamagoras (タマゴラス) and were released in the USA by Mattel as part of the Masters of the Universe toyline as transforming meteors. Because the Masters of the Universe had by then passed its peak, the Meteorbs...

So yeah this was definitely a trend.

The irony of Slayven bringing this up now: Transformers fans around the world are starting to receive a toy they spent hundreds of dollars preordering... one that turns into a globe.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
And now I just remembered that the transforming egg toys I mentioned earlier in the thread were actually licensed by Mattel and released as part of the He-man line to go with their meteor men:

he-man.fandom.com

Meteorbs

Meteorbs were originally a Japanese toyline of transforming eggs from Bandai called Tamagoras (タマゴラス) and were released in the USA by Mattel as part of the Masters of the Universe toyline as transforming meteors. Because the Masters of the Universe had by then passed its peak, the Meteorbs...

So yeah this was definitely a trend.

The irony of Slayven bringing this up now: Transformers fans around the world are starting to receive a toy they spent hundreds of dollars preordering... one that turns into a globe.
Well super ironic cause i watched the Transformers that killed off Transformers until the late 90s, Transformers Zone. Yeah the big powerup of them turning into bases, i can see why it only got one ep

itemimage_imgsrc.php

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well super ironic cause i watched the Transformers that killed off Transformers until the late 90s, Transformers Zone. Yeah the big powerup of them turning into bases, i can see why it only got one ep

itemimage_imgsrc.php
That one at the bottom, in the purple, looks suspiciously like Metroplex but molded in different colors.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, it's Metrotitan, which is... Metroplex in different colors. And never came out here.

This is basically the Micromaster wave in Japan, where they added larger robots that turned into bases for them...which they absolutely should've done for the US as well, but I think at that point Japan was lagging behind the US and the US was onto... Action Masters.

But those are so Diaclone-like, it's like back to the roots. Even Optimus/Star Convoy was a base.

edit: I meant Diaclone, not Microman like...

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's Metrotitan, which is... Metroplex in different colors.
Nice to know I'm not crazy.. lol. I actually had Metroplex when I was a kid, he was the only "big" Transformer I had. And, honestly, the toy wasn't actually that big. Ultra Magnus was taller. A friend of mine had Omega Supreme, I was so jealous.. lol.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I had that green one in the top left corner of the second page. Never thought to much as to why I just had this cube rock transforming thing.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not like first gen Gobots were amazing, one thing they had on transformers was they were made of metal
113b80bf507b2b1fa5fe3f9b04b87107.jpg

Oh shit I had one of these as a kid but never knew what they were!

Gobots1.jpg

It was that red grey one with the sunglasses....

This explains so much as to why I like protoman.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
This thing's pretty infamous due to it being metal as fuck.

I actually had an Action Force annual that I'd gotten from some charity shop when I was maybe 8 or so and it had few pages dedicated to showcasing the whole range. I clearly remember the skull.

I actually watched that video the other day; it was interesting to learn about the history and Action Force's relation to GI Joe and Star Wars.

And it was also cool to hear from the original creator of the Roboskull, and his frankly amazing dream of a life-size version. Some people dream about becoming an astronaut, others dream about a giant red skull tie fighter spaceship with guns for eyes.