• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

UPDATE: Police Warn of More Mass Robbery Attempts After Looters Ransack Walnut Creek Nordstrom

Dozens of looters swarmed into the Nordstrom store in downtown Walnut Creek Saturday night, terrorizing shoppers, assaulting employees, ripping off bag loads of merchandise and ransacking shelves before fleeing in a several vehicles waiting for them on the street.
Dozens of looters swarmed into the Nordstrom store in downtown Walnut Creek Saturday night, terrorizing shoppers, assaulting employees, ripping off bag loads of merchandise and ransacking shelves before fleeing in a several vehicles waiting for them on the street.
Police began receiving calls from Nordstrom employees about the looting at around 9 p.m. He said there were approximately 80 individuals who ran into the store and began looting and smashing shelves.
Brett Barrette is one of the managers of P.F. Chang's restaurant across from the Nordstrom store. He watched as the bedlam unfolded.

"I probably saw 50-80 people in like ski masks with crowbars, a bunch of weapons," he said. "They were looting the Nordstrom."

"There was a mob of people," he continued. "The police were flying in. It was like a scene out of a movie. It was insane."

Sounds like some sort of Black Friday nightmare.
sales-black-friday.gif

Loot thread if old.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing people steal shit in real life is so weird. There was a time when someone grabbed a whole bunch of clothes at jc penny's and booked it out the door. One lady screamed, but the rest of us just were confused about what happened. The alarms went off but no security guards or anyone went after the lady. It wasnt nearly as dramatic as I thought it'd be.

This thought sounds intense. Do nordstroms things sell for that much on the market? I didn't realize people actually liked their stuff like that. Always figured if you had money, you would shop somewhere else.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Seeing people steal shit in real life is so weird. There was a time when someone grabbed a whole bunch of clothes at jc penny's and booked it out the door. One lady screamed, but the rest of us just were confused about what happened. The alarms went off but no security guards or anyone went after the lady. It wasnt nearly as dramatic as I thought it'd be.

This thought sounds intense. Do nordstroms things sell for that much on the market? I didn't realize people actually liked their stuff like that. Always figured if you had money, you would shop somewhere else.

I had a similar experience at a marshall's ages ago.
Dude had a shopping cart full of clothes. I was standing on the side waiting for my friends. He just booked it out of the store with cart.
Everyone just kinda looked around like "Did that actually just happen" lol.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day when I was working at Babbages, some kid stole a brand new PS2 and I gave chase until he got in to his get away car. Thinking back, that was really stupid.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Crazy how it is slowly upticking around the country. I expect with more media attention it will give more people ideas. Also the multiple Louis Vuitton targets seem a little more than just coincidental. I wonder if there is any coordination amongst these various robberies and what their reasoning was for the places they chose to rob. It's not like they are starving robbing grocery stores for food, they are picking high end fashion stores.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I saw a bunch of people raid a Gucci store once.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how it is slowly upticking around the country. I expect with more media attention it will give more people ideas. Also the multiple Louis Vuitton targets seem a little more than just coincidental. I wonder if there is any coordination amongst these various robberies and what their reasoning was for the places they chose to rob. It's not like they are starving robbing grocery stores for food, they are picking high end fashion stores.

I assume the high retail value makes them easy to fence.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Just like this and the EVGA 30-series truck robbery I imagine we might see these increase as the supply chain crunch continues, especially this holiday season. If this starts hitting more average consumer stores, not luxury department stores like Nordstrom, I'll feel a bit of sympathy. Not because it harms the corporations, but because it might be taking things out of the hands of families and such who might have been saving up all year to get that PS5 or even a Nintendo Switch their kid has been asking for and would become one of their favorite childhood memories that many of us here have when we got the console we had been eagerly wanting.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wonder if we'll learn what specifically prompted this, or if they all just gathered together for a flash mob due to the bad conditions we're already aware of

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
i've been in that nordstrom a few times lol, havent lived out there in years.. but its crazy to imagine that kind of chaos in downtown walnut creek

Dec 30, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Commentary; Drive-By Posting
Part of me says, "well, it was a luxury store." Part of me says, "flamethrowers."

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

Depends on what was grabbed. They're a luxury department store, so high price clothing, shoes, handbags, and especially jewelry could be shifted for cash.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Alot of this happened immediately after the George floyd protests last year when people were taking advantage of the "protests" as cover. There was famously multiple dodge hellcats stolen in San Leandro lol.

There have been LV stores hit quite frequently including the one in union square on Friday night and alot of Asian and other nationality owned jewelry stores it as well. Alot of criminals dgaf right now

Tortfeasor

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
This has been happening in Chicago for a while now, especially since the Cabrini Green projects are near the magnificent mile.

The Cabrini Green projects have been gone for more than a decade. These flash mob heists are happening all over the Chicagoland area including posh suburbs like Northbrook and Oakbrook. It's not about proximity to "projects".

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Ngl being part of some underground thief mob sounds kinda cool XDXDXD.

But obviously screw these people.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
A Concord jewelery was hit several days ago, then LV on Fri in SF, then Union Square in SF/this Walnut Creek hit last night... tonight was apparently Southland Mall in Hayward. Organized crime going hard on luxury goods and jewelery all week :x

Kinda gets scary if you are shopping during the holidays during this, because I feel like they will add more security/guards/etc, and if some bring firearms....

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-By Posting
Two employees assaulted and another pepper sprayed. That's no good, hope they catch those who did that.

Can't be mad about the heist/stealing though. Keep at it.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
FYI Walnut Creek is a very nice upscale area. A lot of this in SF Walgreens which can sometimes be in sketch areas. But this is sort of expanding throughout the Bay Area

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day when I was working at Babbages, some kid stole a brand new PS2 and I gave chase until he got in to his get away car. Thinking back, that was really stupid.

Yeah, that's stupid. I saw two guys chasing a junkie, that likely shoplifted something from the grocery store they ran from. I would never risk my life for that.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
"ripping off bag loads of merchandise" - what does this sentence even mean? Is is that the merchandise is somehow fastened to something?

Maybe, but I'd assume it's just the normal phrase "ripping off" applied to these people stealing, and bag loads trying to quantify the amount they took.

"Stealing lots of merchandise" would be a bit more clear