• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Biden won by 4.45 points against an incumbent. That's not "barely"; it's not even particularly close.
If you consider the number of actual votes that would have had to flip to give Trump an Electoral College victory, "barely" seems like the right description here. I wish the popular vote mattered, but it really doesn't

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully one day I can leave this shit country. Unless we're willing to have a civil war, which I'm all in for.
You could have a civil war and kill everyone in government and a few million people and you would eventually be right back in a greedy corrupt country.
You better off fixing the country from where we are vs destroying/resetting it and starting over just to end up in the same place.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats need to put every bit of pressure possible on these 8. If they still refuse to vote on basic popular policies like this then purge every one of these treacherous fucks.
Purge? They gotta lose elections (I'll assume that's what you mean by purge and not something undemocratic). For instance, if Manchin loses WV, you're getting a Republican. The last time Manchin ran against a progressive in the democratic primary, he demolished her 70-30. You can claim that progressive ideas are considered popular in polls, but that obviously doesn't seem to tell the whole story, does it? The popularity of these positions seems to not be predictive enough of voter behaviour to claim that the senators are acting against their constituents' interests. Why're they being voted into office?

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
You could have a civil war and kill everyone in government and a few million people and you would eventually be right back in a greedy corrupt country.
You better off fixing the country from where we are vs destroying/resetting it and starting over just to end up in the same place.
Are we going to pretend that revolutions haven't historically driven progress? Plus, it isn't necessarily the "government" that ought to be the main target in this hypothetical situation.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Are we going to pretend that revolutions haven't historically driven progress? Plus, it isn't necessarily the "government" that ought to be the main target in this hypothetical situation.

It's pretty fucking hard to pretend that it don't. And the gov and wealthy are one in the same. Look at their income or net worth, they are the rich.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is the votearama. It doesn't meant anything. This is just an excuse to look good for your constituents.

Senators like Tester serve in red Montana. He voted no since voting yes is meaningless and hurts him in Montana. Might as well vote no.

Now if this was a separate bill, he and Coons for example will vote yes if there were the votes for it. Blame Manchin since he's vocal about WV getting. Probably Sinema too because AZ already raised their minimum wage.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
It's pretty fucking hard to pretend that it don't. And the gov and wealthy are one in the same. Look at their income or net worth, they are the rich.
I think we have different definitions of "the rich."

Regardless, I'm arguing against your notion that tinkering with the inherently broken systems this country was built on is going to "fix" this country. We need massive, radical change—not reformist, fine-tuning bullshit that ultimately only serves to keep capitalism on life support.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is the votearama. It doesn't meant anything. This is just an excuse to look good for your constituents.

Senators like Tester serve in red Montana. He voted no since voting yes is meaningless and hurts him in Montana. Might as well vote no.

Now if this was a separate bill, he and Coons for example will vote yes if there were the votes for it. Blame Manchin since he's vocal about WV getting. Probably Sinema too because AZ already raised their minimum wage.
I tried to explain that these are theatric votes already – not getting thru the parliamentarian in the first place. I have way more issue with Harris not overriding her then anything, but as I understand it, that issue is more complex due to the possibility of the entire COVID bill going down in flames if literally everyone didn't vote Yes, which is a huge gamble. I would hope for more assurances from the senate. Going forward, hopefully we get some.

Oct 27, 2017
Sinema is such a wannabe. She's all over the board on policy except trying to make a name for herself. Arizona already has a $12 minimum wage. Her doing her little let them eat cake and thumbing down theater bullshit is absolutely reason to begin getting ready to primary her. She just told the rest of the country 'fuck you, I got mine'.
She voted with trump over half of the time. And she used to work with Nader. Her idol is manchin. Ugh. So tired of dealing with this within the only sane political party in the us.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I think we have different definitions of "the rich."

Regardless, I'm arguing against your notion that tinkering with the inherently broken systems this country was built on is going to "fix" this country. We need massive, radical change—not reformist, fine-tuning bullshit that ultimately only serves to keep capitalism on life support.
We have made better progress reforming it compared to what would likely happen if we started a war over it.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah? Who's the "main target" in this revolution of yours?

And you have to ignore a whole lot of revolutions to think that revolutions have historically driven progress. They are, at best, a mixed bag.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017

And you have to ignore a whole lot of revolutions to think that revolutions have historically driven progress. They are, at best, a mixed bag.
The main target is the working class. What happens to the rest is up in the air, but labor is power, and with automation coming that power is only going to soften going forward.

And lol, "not all revolutions were perfect, so why even consider it". Yeah, for sure.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
We have made better progress reforming it compared to what would likely happen if we started a war over it.
Then we define progress differently. In my mind, progress isn't slapping Band-Aids on the inherent issues with capitalism. Progress is moving away from the broken system entirely. If we can do it sans war, I'm all for it. I don't think that's impossible.

Capitalists and those who seek to protect their interests. Workers need to unite toward the common goal of ending mass, state-sponsored exploitation.

I'm not compelled by your argument that the existence of failed revolutions is proof that revolutions largely haven't driven historical progress. That's hogwash and I think you know that.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone whose family makes a really good salary, and life does not depend on this 15 dollar minimum wage, I am not going to hold my breath for democrats to get shit done. Pass your covid bill, and some half ass legislation to make it look like you are doing your job. I will sit back and watch you embarrass yourselves in 2022 and live with whatever comes.

Where are the left leaning republicans?

uhh, what's with people like you going after the entire Dem party over these stragglers and now saying you want to vote Republican?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
uhh, what's with people like you going after the entire Dem party over these stragglers and now saying you want to vote Republican?
Because the party is complicit. The leadership is complicit. Republicans get their troops in a row. They don't bring something to vote unless they know they've gotten everyone in line.
This is beyond their trash neoliberal, means tested, anti-progressive policy positions. Fine. But as a PARTY they are ineffective, weak and more interested in "A strong Republican Party" being "good for America" than delivering on achievable campaign promises.

You allowed 8 chucklefucks to piss on your first major legislative attempt built on things you campaigned on, and that winning legislators won on. Did they not know the votes were going that way? Did the 8 lie and change their votes? None of these things are acceptable in a 2 party system where 1 is ruthlessly effective and play by a different set of rules. Stop defending them. They're not your friends. They are elected to accomplish things. If you're happy with the results, fine, you do you, but this isn't a few bad apples situation.

Alamak Sirrah

Feb 21, 2021
Sinema is what she is. She barely beat McSally and only won because McSally dropped the McCain act and went Trumper. Sinema has every intention of trying to be the new McCain right down to the stupid theatrics. If Arizona keeps sliding blue then there will be more pressure on Sinema. At the Moment the State is effectively 52-48 as far as Political Margins and its a slim GOP lead. Trump is the only reason Arizona flipped early.
Kelly won by a larger margin than Sinema and voted yes on $15mw.
there is no need to wait for Arizona to become more blue in order to vote "yes" for something that has a 63% approval in West Virginia.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because the party is complicit. The leadership is complicit. Republicans get their troops in a row. They don't bring something to vote unless they know they've gotten everyone in line.
This is beyond their trash neoliberal, means tested, anti-progressive policy positions. Fine. But as a PARTY they are ineffective, weak and more interested in "A strong Republican Party" being "good for America" than delivering on achievable campaign promises.

You allowed 8 chucklefucks to piss on your first major legislative attempt built on things you campaigned on, and that winning legislators won on. Did they not know the votes were going that way? Did the 8 lie and change their votes? None of these things are acceptable in a 2 party system where 1 is ruthlessly effective and play by a different set of rules. Stop defending them. They're not your friends. They are elected to accomplish things. If you're happy with the results, fine, you do you, but this isn't a few bad apples situation.

Who says I'm happy with the results??? But .. .would this push me to vote Republican? No! What's wrong with you?!

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neither I nor the person you quoted said anything about voting R. So, plenty, but reading comprehension isn't among them.

I will just quote your own post:

You allowed 8 chucklefucks to piss on your first major legislative attempt

Apparently you do not vote Dem or have completely distanced yourself from them as to not vote at all.

As to the person I quoted earlier:

Where are the left leaning republicans?

Doesn't seem like it would take much to push them to switch to voting R.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Hostility towards other members
I will just quote your own post:

Apparently you do not vote Dem or have completely distanced yourself from them as to not vote at all.

As to the person I quoted earlier:

Doesn't seem like it would take much to push them to switch to voting R.
raw

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in no way supporting her vote, but I chalk that up to the face mask.

I do all sorts of exaggerated body language (e.g. thumbs-ups and whatnot) while wearing one in an attempt to compensate for not having my mouth visible as a means of communication.

Okay, I regret giving her the benefit of doubt.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I'll continue to hear how Bernie is a threat to Democrats. Minimum wage workers continue to get shit on and the worst part is this is suppose to be our best option.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Joe Biden says his hands are tied on a $15 minimum wage. That's not true | David Sirota

Democrats argue that it’s impossible to deliver a higher minimum wage, when there are plenty of ways to overcome this impasse

Just to let you know, you're quoting a guy who was fired for exploiting racism by taking quotes out of context to make a black politician seem anti-white so that opinion is from someone who had engaged in disinformation in the past along with being disingenuous multiple times outside of that affair in his more than 20 year stint in politics.

www.theatlantic.com

From a Bogus Website to Bernie Sanders's Inner Circle

David Sirota got fired from a Philly campaign 20 years ago for a racially charged “dirty trick” before he first went to work for the progressive from Vermont.

that's not even getting in the finer points of him being misleading with the LBJ example considering that was a time when Democrats controlled the house and senate by much larger majorities than 50/50 (they were supermajorities for his entire term).

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
8 out of 272 democrats chose to bomb the 15 an hour, and some of those 8, perhaps ostensibly, maintain they support it but not through covid relief. but yeah i guess instead of primarying and/or winning more dem seats we should blow up the party. start from 0.

i don't know why people keep thinking biden is some sacred order of dagon dem who tried defend the establishment against bernie; he advised bernie in 2016 and gave him ultimately the correct pointers.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Obama on his 9th day signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair pay act into law.

It took less than a month to pass the House and Senate and be signed by Obama.

If Democrats really gave a damn. the house would have voted for a legislation to increase it leading up to Biden's inauguration instead of playing this "waiting game" as an excuse.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to senatorial decorum?

Her actions and lack of professional attire at first had me convinced this was some parody sketch.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Is the logic that they voted against this in order to protect their seats?

How would voting for an increase in minimum wage hurt them politically? A wage increase helps everyone across the board, including their voters.

Are their constituents going to be angry that they voted to put more money in their pockets? Someone help me understand.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Joe Manchin must be secretly Republican because he somehow thinks they still want to be friends. GOP will torpedo the entire country if it thinks it will put them on top.... as witnessed in many many instances.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't say, but they all outperformed their previous results while a lot of more moderate Democrats fumbled hard.
Yeah... While specific policy points may be popular across the population, those results need to be broken down on a state by state level. AOC winning in Queens is not a leading indicator of national acceptance.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Couldn't say, but they all outperformed their previous results while a lot of more moderate Democrats fumbled hard.

This isn't true. For example AOC got 78% in 2018 and 74% in 2020, Ilhan Omar from 78% to 64%, Ro Khanna 75% to 71%. Most Dem incumbents lost a few points from 2018. Moderates who lost were in close districts where a 4 point regression might mean the difference between a win and a loss.