• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What a shitshow when the party isn't on the same page, this falls on Biden as he didn't want to overrule the parliamentarian even though he could have made the democrats do so.

Nothing is going to get done since they don't want to end the Filibuster, ridiculous since the only reason that a relief bill is happening because of the budget reconciliation which just just needs 51 votes in the Senate to pass, things are getting passed through the House but are just arriving in the Senate to die because they don't have the 60 votes to pass anything.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What a shitshow when the party isn't on the same page, this falls on Biden as he didn't want to overrule the parliamentarian even though he could have made the democrats do so.
Doesn't this show overruling the Parliament wouldn't have made a difference? If this many people voted against it, we would have potentially seen a number of them also voting agains the covid relief bill altogether if it was included, no?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did they vote against the wage, or did they vote against attaching it to the COVID relief bill (honest question)? The latter I can understand because people need their stimulus checks NOW and the minimum wage part is slowing it down (waiting nearly 2 months after Biden election!)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's super sad that America has one party that wants to drag America down into the shit, and another party that's mostly ambivalent about it.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
This is the opposite take of what you should be having tbh. Overruling the parliamentarian would've taken 50 votes, which they clearly don't have. No use spending political capital if the votes aren't there. Which they aren't. Be pissed off at these Dem senators but Biden doesn't have final say over what all Dems vote for.

Oct 27, 2017
Having only 2 parties sounds like a great idea
How would having more parties with the same thresholds for getting things done fix the issue? It seems people here have this assumption that Dems are a singular thinking group, like Republicans, when that hasn't been the case and won't ever be the case by virtue of Dems representing a larger variety of constituents, who also actually hold them accountable

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
Did they vote against the wage, or did they vote against attaching it to the COVID relief bill (honest question)? The latter I can understand because people need their stimulus checks NOW and the minimum wage part is slowing it down (waiting nearly 2 months after Biden election!)

At least from what is known (haven't check if the other 6 have said anything), only Sinema's and Manchin's reasoning have been explained. In Sinema's case, it was the latter + not wanting to overrule the Parliamentarian; Manchin was the former, as he opposes a $15 MW, and would prefer a $11 two year phase in MW.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden and Kamala Harris did absolutely nothing to fight for $15 min wage. Their COVID plan lopped $600 off the promised relief check and shrank the number of people eligible.

This is only an astounding loss for them if you ever believed they gave a shit about any of this.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I personally think the 15$ min wage increase should be a separate bill. The covid relief needs to be passed as soon as possible and the 15$ min wage would just slow it down.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Doesn't this show overruling the Parliament wouldn't have made a difference? If this many people voted against it, we would have potentially seen a number of them also voting agains the covid relief bill altogether if it was included, no?

Hard to tell how many of these are "15 is too much" votes versus "I won't vote to include something the parliamentarian said can't be included because I love norms so so much" but either way, yeah, it's clear you have some combination of people who either don't want $15 or who won't support any effort to go over the parliamentarian.

This feels like we're on a road to getting this whittled down to $10 to get the votes you need. Fucking sucks.

Oct 28, 2017
What is the reason to vote against this? Like I want to know what the logic is, not the hyperbolic, reactionary logic but the "real" it's not a good idea reason. Seems like a no brainer to me but I want to no what these people are thinking.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Sinema at least put out a statement that she vetoed because she feels it needs to be its own bill. I imagine most others did as well, but, fuck Manchin I have no hopes for him.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this got to a vote. Thank you for showing your asses. Now apply the pressure and let's start digging in on theses asses. It's worth it to fight and now we know who we gotta fight.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to tell how many of these are "15 is too much" votes versus "I won't vote to include something the parliamentarian said can't be included because I love norms so so much" but either way, yeah, it's clear you have some combination of people who either don't want $15 or who won't support any effort to go over the parliamentarian.

This feels like we're on a road to getting this whittled down to $10 to get the votes you need. Fucking sucks.

It's probably best to not include minimum wage at all in this rather than include a half assed lower amount, which would make a separate $15 min bill even harder to pass IMO

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory rhetoric
Hopefully one day I can leave this shit country. Unless we're willing to have a civil war, which I'm all in for.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As part of a Covid bill through reconciliation that was ruled out of order, this was going to always be a long shot. This needs to be a separate bill or tied to something else.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

This is what I'm wondering. I've always thought that attaching a minimum wage increase to the reconciliation bill was a non-starter and that trying to do so would drag the whole reconciliation process down, so if I were a legislator I also would have voted it down and called for a separate bill to address it (and a nuking of the filibuster to allow debate). People need those checks now, and the minimum wage debate is going to threaten the entire bill at the rate things are going.

Biden promised that he'd deliver on the stimulus checks right away - Congress needs to support him on that right now.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
GOP stays winning.

Democrats are like the ultimate SIMPS. Mofos have the power to change but nope. Lets all argue some bullshit while Republicans will fall in line to destroy the country. Bunch of wannabe righteous pretentious pricks.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This is a covid relief bill. We don't need to pile up a bunch of unrelated stuff to this bill. They can vote on that separately.

Oct 27, 2017
Joe Biden and Kamala Harris did absolutely nothing to fight for $15 min wage. Their COVID plan lopped $600 off the promised relief check and shrank the number of people eligible.
I see takes like this and wonder if you actually have been paying attention or even read the OP of this thread. I don't know if you guys think this is a dictatorship or something, but you keep use "fight for" which doesn't mean anything. All Biden/Harris could do was overrule the Parliament that said this couldn't be included, which would have possibly resulted in the relief bill not even getting all the Dem votes

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really not a fan of a political system where one half is straight up a fascist party ready to destroy this country the nanosecond they obtain power again and a political party that acts like a resistance but fails to close all doors to make the fascist alternative welcoming.

Like, this is the time for radical action. $15 is already a compromise of incredible magnitude. And we have centrist dems saying that's a bridge too far. Absolute parasites. And before one says "t-they can argue it in another bill" we have centrist sweetheart Manchin saying he'd go so far as $11.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the reason to vote against this? Like I want to know what the logic is, not the hyperbolic, reactionary logic but the "real" it's not a good idea reason. Seems like a no brainer to me but I want to no what these people are thinking.
Some person ruled that it shouldn't be included but basically it's just a suggestion as she can be overruled and still be put in place, but Biden didn't want to do that and looks like some Democrats didn't want to go against Bidens decision to continue with it and yeah, $15 min wage is not happening until they remove the filibuster, which won't happen because Biden is against that too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realtalk being a Democrat politician's gotta be a pretty sweet gig.

You get to line your pockets and convince yourself at least you're not a Republican. Yeah you're obscenely wealthy and thrive by robbing your base, but at least not as much right?

Liberals up in Canada have been in power five years now and they've done jack shit. Gonna lose the next election to the next Harper because they grift us knowing we have to vote for them up here.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is driving me crazy: Angus King is not a Democrat(he's an independent) and also hes not Vermont's senator, hes Maine.

Last edited:

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
These people don't care about process. That's the excuse they give to make sure the workforce in their state are robbed of any dignity and desire to ask for more of them and their employers.

These politicians are inspired by the machine in Washington cheering them on and telling them being a Reagan Republican is what wins in purple states and will require a lot of consultants and skimming of funds to continue to disenfranchise voters.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Man, I know nothing about the USA political landscape, but these news make them look like clowns. It seems they are trying to lose the next election.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Some person ruled that it shouldn't be included but basically it's just a suggestion as she can be overruled and still be put in place, but Biden didn't want to do that and looks like some Democrats didn't want to go against Bidens decision to continue with it and yeah, $15 min wage is not happening until they remove the filibuster, which won't happen because Biden is against that too.
Yeah I really don't see a way forward here. This is always going to be doomed under any other Senate process.

The only hope, and I feel it is a small one, is that these 8 senators are ok with making drastic changes to the filibuster while not nuking it, because as is, the filibuster just means Democrats can no longer govern.