• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TigerPhin

Oct 28, 2017
So glad to be able to ring in E3 with my favorite annual podcast. So fun!

Mark shaming Jake's ramblings with well timed HT kept making me smile.

Nice to lean into just the fun and excitement of E3 without too much jaded world weariness. Also, Hanson stories.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I want to get Mark's take on Stranger of Paradise. Need to. It's not a hope or a dream. It's like a hunger. A thirst.

ChillWinston

Oct 27, 2017
Once the Patreon gets off the ground they should really throw some money Jake's way to get him a better microphone. He sounds like he's using that out of the box mic that came with the PS4.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
All aboard the CHAOS train!

01:40 – Nicknames
11:17 – Apex Legends
19:47 – Stranger in Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
35:20 – Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
52:07 – Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
54:28 – Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
1:05:37 – News: E3 Recap; Sonic's 30th Anniversary, Nintendo 64's Anniversary, and more!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At 1:42:30 they talk about a "tower mini accessory" that John says he preordered immediately (with some regrets). Does anyone know what they're talking about? The tower of power mini for the genesis mini came out a couple years ago and was the only thing that crossed my mind…

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the Apex conversation, I think a lot of it is being a fast paced hero shooter with a lot of character. The last reigning champ FPS in Japan before Apex was Overwatch and it's still a big market for that game too.

Having a really good localisation for all that character helps one helluva lot too, which both games nail.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
At 1:42:30 they talk about a "tower mini accessory" that John says he preordered immediately (with some regrets). Does anyone know what they're talking about? The tower of power mini for the genesis mini came out a couple years ago and was the only thing that crossed my mind…
They just announced another tower for the Mega Drive mini that has a power base converter and then the adapter to do sg-whatever the number was games

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I didn't realize there was another episode out. I got around to listening to most of the E3 hype train episode yesterday and it was so funny hearing how many predictions they got wrong in retrospect. But the E3 anecdotes were pretty fun to listen to. And Jake's tale of how he got a PS5 via his business partner who was in the US. I got quite a bit more to go before I listen to the most recent episode. I'm sure they'll tease each other for what they got right and wrong.

ChillWinston

Oct 27, 2017
I always turn off the podcast the second the talking stops (apologies to whoever spends time coming up with the musical outro) Not this episode though, this episode my phone went straight back in my pocket. I can imagine that song playing over a montage of my childhood.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the thing i always skip is the random meme audio over the end that i never have any idea what it is or where it comes from

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Mark: And here we have a guest to discuss about theme parks
Guest: **utters a couple of words regarding theme parks**
Mark: STFU BOOOOONG

I actually hadn't heard about USJ's tiered fast pass system so was curious to hear more only to then hear it get immediately cut off, alas.

Also, it's 100% possible to do everything (bar restaurants) in TDL/TDS in one day if you plan ahead and use your FP strategically - I speak from experience.

Dork Knight

Feb 20, 2018
Mark: And here we have a guest to discuss about theme parks
Guest: **utters a couple of words regarding theme parks**
Mark: STFU BOOOOONG

I actually hadn't heard about USJ's tiered fast pass system so was curious to hear more only to then hear it get immediately cut off, alas.

Also, it's 100% possible to do everything (bar restaurants) in TDL/TDS in one day if you plan ahead and use your FP strategically - I speak from experience.

Haha! Yeah, I felt like I only scratched the surface of stuff I wanted to cover. But, to be fair to Mark, if you let me go unleashed, I could have blabbered on for HOURS. So someone has got to reel me in. Lol!

With that said, if there's any questions you have about Super Nintendo World and/or USJ/TDR, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Regarding the tiered USJ fastpasses, bassically, there's 4 tiers:
  • 3 Rides: Get to choose fastpasses for 3 select rides (only one of these available). Also gives access to Super Nintendo World (no Harry Potter).
  • 4 Rides: Get to choose fastpasses for 4 select rides + SNW & Harry Potter (although one only offers SNW).
  • 7 Rides: Get to choose fastpasses for 7 select rides + SNW & HP
  • Premium: OMG! You're rich – do whatever the fuck you want.
When you go to USJ, you pretty much HAVE to buy a fastpass if you wanna do everything at the park. And they know this, that's why the fastpasses only let you choose select rides. Meaning, they're strategically designed to NOT give you all the best rides in 1 package (unless you're going for the 7 ride passes). For example, some of the 4 ride passes will give you 2-3 good rides (ex: Mario Kart, Flying Dinosaur, etc.), but will omit another awesome ride (ex: Harry Potter). So you have to be really selective in what you choose to make you're getting the most bang for your buck. Speaking of your bucks, the fastpass I chose cost THE SAME AMOUNT as the park entry ticket. Ugh.

The other caveat? As of right now (this may change in the future), even if you buy a fastpass, it doesn't mean you can just enter SNW whenever you want (this took me by surprise!). Instead, after you buy, you have to then reserve a time that allows you to enter the area. Once you're there, you can stay as long as you want, but you can't go back in, so it's best the choose the earliest option, that way you get the most out of your visit. I kinda got burned on this because the earliest entry time I could choose was like 1145am, so had I known to buy earlier, I probably could have got in a few hours earlier. Not a huge deal, but definitely worth knowing!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Special guest was great, but I needed Mark to keep it on track, and then that banter between the two made it all the better.

I laughed every time a huge preface started and I could hear inaudible groans from Mark.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
SNW sounds like a lot of fun but also quite an expensive affair! If they made an all Zelda World I'd be royally boned.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Haha! Yeah, I felt like I only scratched the surface of stuff I wanted to cover. But, to be fair to Mark, if you let me go unleashed, I could have blabbered on for HOURS. So someone has got to reel me in. Lol!

With that said, if there's any questions you have about Super Nintendo World and/or USJ/TDR, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!

• 3 Rides: Get to choose fastpasses for 3 select rides (only one of these available). Also gives access to Super Nintendo World (no Harry Potter).
  • 4 Rides: Get to choose fastpasses for 4 select rides + SNW & Harry Potter (although one only offers SNW).
When you go to USJ, you pretty much HAVE to buy a fastpass if you wanna do everything at the park. And they know this, that's why the fastpasses only let you choose select rides. Meaning, they're strategically designed to NOT give you all the best rides in 1 package (unless you're going for the 7 ride passes). For example, some of the 4 ride passes will give you 2-3 good rides (ex: Mario Kart, Flying Dinosaur, etc.), but will omit another awesome ride (ex: Harry Potter). So you have to be really selective in what you choose to make you're getting the most bang for your buck. Speaking of your bucks, the fastpass I chose cost THE SAME AMOUNT as the park entry ticket. Ugh.

The other caveat? As of right now (this may change in the future), even if you buy a fastpass, it doesn't mean you can just enter SNW whenever you want (this took me by surprise!). Instead, after you buy, you have to then reserve a time that allows you to enter the area. Once you're there, you can stay as long as you want, but you can't go back in, so it's best the choose the earliest option, that way you get the most out of your visit. I kinda got burned on this because the earliest entry time I could choose was like 1145am, so had I known to buy earlier, I probably could have got in a few hours earlier. Not a huge deal, but definitely worth knowing!
Mark is very passionate about not running over and I've been listening for more than a decade so he must be doing something right!

That's an interesting system you cover - has it always been that way? The last time I visited (admittedly way back when they had the first Monster Hunter collab event) I don't remember that being in place.

Fuertisimo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Michael thanks for the information I really enjoyed the podcast best of luck keeping up with the Disney merch trends!

Dork Knight

Feb 20, 2018
That's an interesting system you cover - has it always been that way? The last time I visited (admittedly way back when they had the first Monster Hunter collab event) I don't remember that being in place.

To be honest, I'm not sure when they started this fastpass system. But it at least dates back to my first visit in late 2015/early 2016.

The reservation requirement for SNW, like I said, was new to me. The first time I went to USJ, in order to enter the Harry Potter land, you had to go to a machine that spit out a ticket with a time window you could enter. The next time I went? No restrictions. So, from what I gather, when the park is super busy and/or something is brand new (ex: SNW), they do the timed ticket entry. But when things die down, they drop it.

Since SNW is new (and we're still in a pandemic), I reckon the reservation requirement will likely stick around for a while. Next time I go, I'm gonna make sure I can get the earliest entry! :D

Michael thanks for the information I really enjoyed the podcast best of luck keeping up with the Disney merch trends!

Thanks, man! I wasn't sure if people wanted to hear me yap about theme parks or not, so I'm happy at least a couple of people did.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Michael, you joked that you know all the expats who regularly hit the Disney parks… I wonder if you know my friend. She's at Disney (or another park) nearly every weekend, moved to Yokohama about a year ago. She worked for Disney in Orlando for 20 years before being furloughed because of covid.

Anyway, loved your appearance on the podcast and definitely wanted you to keep going! Surprised you didn't bring up tokotoko Mario as the best SNW merch! I've imported both variations and all 6 power-up bands so far. I should engage your services!

Dork Knight

Feb 20, 2018
Michael, you joked that you know all the expats who regularly hit the Disney parks… I wonder if you know my friend. She's at Disney (or another park) nearly every weekend, moved to Yokohama about a year ago. She worked for Disney in Orlando for 20 years before being furloughed because of covid.

Anyway, loved your appearance on the podcast and definitely wanted you to keep going! Surprised you didn't bring up tokotoko Mario as the best SNW merch! I've imported both variations and all 6 power-up bands so far. I should engage your services!

Of course I know your friend! Duh.

JK! lol. Seriously, though – I was mostly joking when I said that. But back when I used to visit the parks 2-3 times a week (man, I *sooooo* miss annual passports), I did recognize a lot of regulars. Hell, there's so many cast members that totally know who I am (hard to miss, right?). In fact, I was at the Shinjuku Disney Store last week and one of the cast members remembered me from when I used to go to the Harajuku store all the time (that store closed last year). The SUPER sad part? I had NO IDEA who she was, despite the fact that I'm usually really good at remembering cast members. I felt awful. She even remembered I was from San Francisco. OMGGGGG! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

And, to be honest, I had to look up the Tokotoko Mario. Haha! I'm not really into stuff like that, so it's not surprising it passed right by me. Crazy that you imported all the power-up bands! If you ever go, you should wear all six at the SAME TIME. Just need to get 6 phones to register them all to. Lol.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Still CEO I believe? Everytime they mention her it seems like she's just too busy at this point between the job and her family to appear on the podcast. John can probably clarify if he checks out the thread.

Oh, I just haven't heard them mention her in a really long time. I thought she might have moved on.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017

Even if that's true, the end result was so frustrating and stressful to listen to with Mark interrupting on basically every sentence in the beginning of the podcast. I get that he wants to keep things snappy, and I usually don't have too much of a problem with it, but surely there must be better solutions than this.
With that said, things got better after a while, and even though I am not super interested in the park itself, I found it really interesting and informative.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Great having Michael on the podcast again; I really enjoyed when he was on last time, too. And good job Mark for keeping everyone on topic. The parts that he "interrupted" were good calls on his part, and it kept the pace moving. I suspect he'd make an excellent editor. :)

If you want more details on the Super Nintendo World stuff, GameXplain did a really great video walkthrough a few months back. I recommend checking that out.

Also, I've added Chicory to my wish list. Looks like my kind of game.