• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Oh whoops, I didn't expect an episode today. Awesome!

0:00 – A Brief Word
5:42 – The PS5 Future of Gaming (and Nicknames)
1:11:33 – Break
1:12:09 – Non-PS5 News: Sega's Fog Gaming, Game Gear Micro, Alex Kidd, Pokemon Sword & Shield DLC, and more!
1:56:34 – Outro

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So love the show y'all. Had some thoughts on the RE8 conversation. I think Resident Evil 8 is supposed to take a lot of inspiration from the village and cult sections of RE4 (which might be why we'll seemingly get a remake of RE4 within a reasonable timeline of RE8). Much like Demon's Souls, RE8 was leaked ages ago so there's information out about the story the sound really interesting and it started life as RE Revelations 3 but it tested so well that they scrapped what they were doing with RE8 and turned Rev3 into RE8.

Also, think about what we saw in RE8's trailer (namely the werewolves) and compare that to RE4. Werewolves don't seem that crazy when compared to the likes of El Gigante.

Oh for John, related to Chris's look Mark was right in that he was designed to look like he does in RE5,6. In RE7 they modeled him after someone who didn't at all resemble RE5,6 Chris. People hated his look in RE7 so his RE8 look was definitely meant to go back to his classic look.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Slight correction, Toys for Bob did the Spyro trilogy. The Crash trilogy was by Vicarious Visions.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Thanks for the timestamps. I didn't want to hear any TLOU2 spoilers, even very mild ones, so I skipped that section.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
EDF2 is still the best one imo. If you played it and didn't like it, I can't fault anyone for writing off the series.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
So it sounds like Graeme is my nemesis.

I'll happily spend a podcast discussing why Hyouketsu is the superior chu-hai.

001.jpg

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to the previous podcast.

So love the show y'all. Had some thoughts on the RE8 conversation. I think Resident Evil 8 is supposed to take a lot of inspiration from the village and cult sections of RE4 (which might be why we'll seemingly get a remake of RE4 within a reasonable timeline of RE8). Much like Demon's Souls, RE8 was leaked ages ago so there's information out about the story the sound really interesting and it started life as RE Revelations 3 but it tested so well that they scrapped what they were doing with RE8 and turned Rev3 into RE8.

Also, think about what we saw in RE8's trailer (namely the werewolves) and compare that to RE4. Werewolves don't seem that crazy when compared to the likes of El Gigante.

Oh for John, related to Chris's look Mark was right in that he was designed to look like he does in RE5,6. In RE7 they modeled him after someone who didn't at all resemble RE5,6 Chris. People hated his look in RE7 so his RE8 look was definitely meant to go back to his classic look.

Yeah, I kinda figured they'd pick up on they heavy RE4 vibes given that the early rural european 'village' part of RE4 is easily one the most iconic parts of it.

Also, I know they generally have a bit of a Japanese bias and generally don't pay as much attention to MS, but I don't think MS ever said their july event was first party stuff only, that last stream they did was essentially just an inside xbox episode with some third party indie stuff, and clearly not the equivalent of their E3 show, so comparing it to Sony's event IMO doesn't make a lot of sense. I thought Sony had a good showing, but I expect MS to have a bunch of first party stuff like Halo, Fable, Forza, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark maybe. Throw in some AAA 3rd party stuff like Elden Ring and a Capcom and Square Enix game, an indie reel, and some gamepass/backwards compatibility talk and you basically have an at least equivalent show. MS has more to prove obviously since Sony is currently clearly the market leader, but I don't think MS have shown their hand at all yet really.

I also expect them to try to undercut each other on price, as especially in the current climate price seems like a huge factor for a lot of people.

I pretty much only play games on PC, but it's still always kinda interesting to see how the dynamic between Sony and MS plays out each gen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Early on I was like wtf is this guy opening with a dr nic quote, then he delivers the goods.

I love those OG Nintendo stories
What I would give to be a fly in the car when he was being chauffered around pitching G&W
I thought it was done, keeps going.
Hiroko going to a Chinese restaurant for loc advice, yakuza making games, getting a interview because of a tin jeep

I know dude is selling a book, but wow this is one of the best interviews ever.
This is basically mark & john's wheelhouse so the conversation flows really well

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely on JJ's side in the app vs time travel 'cheating' debate, though Tina was right in that who really cares, it's not like it's competitive AC.

The app JJ is using is about the same as making a spreadsheet, just with more automation and graphics. That's not cheating really (I guess you could argue the automation of the time and weather stuff maybe). I think time travel is straight up code manipulation?

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I might have missed this at some point but the interview with Matt made it seem as though Hiroko is no longer with 8-4 and is working with him and his company?

I might have missed that announcement on a previous episode, or did I just misinterpret what he was saying?

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I might have missed this at some point but the interview with Matt made it seem as though Hiroko is no longer with 8-4 and is working with him and his company?

I might have missed that announcement on a previous episode, or did I just misinterpret what he was saying?
Hah - totally different Hiroko! Matt's wife is also named Hiroko. :)

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I was definitely on JJ's side in the app vs time travel 'cheating' debate, though Tina was right in that who really cares, it's not like it's competitive AC.

The app JJ is using is about the same as making a spreadsheet, just with more automation and graphics. That's not cheating really (I guess you could argue the automation of the time and weather stuff maybe). I think time travel is straight up code manipulation?

You mean John, right? The curse lives on.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
what a great interview. Definitely gonna check out the book

/edit I don't know if Matt got it into the book or not but Game Over How Mario Took Over the World by David Sheff is an amazing look at that period. 8-4 if you know anyone who would have the connections inside Nintendo I would love to hear the inside scoop of the Gamecube - Wii - WiiU - Switch days. Holy shit what a wild ride that would be.

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Mark as the developer must be excited about the news. Mark as the Sony/Nintendo fan who's always been critical about Microsoft is probably a different story. I guess we'll see what his personal opinion is on it soon enough.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
They are down on Xbox most the time, but they can't deny how good value game pass is, i'm sure John has said that before in previous shows.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mark as the developer must be excited about the news. Mark as the Sony/Nintendo fan who's always been critical about Microsoft is probably a different story. I guess we'll see what his personal opinion is on it soon enough.
I don't get that vibe from him AT ALL. They all live in Japan. There is effectively no Xbox there.

Schrade

Oct 25, 2017

Mark was usually on the Xbox 360 side of things back in the day if I remember correctly. At least he sure seemed to be more for it than the PS3 and PS3 games when listening to him on the 1UP Yours podcast and the 1UP Show.

I think he just likes what he likes, not really playing sides of a single company.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I don't get that vibe from him AT ALL. They all live in Japan. There is effectively no Xbox there.
For sure. I'm well aware of the fact.
Mark was usually on the Xbox 360 side of things back in the day if I remember correctly. At least he sure seemed to be more for it than the PS3 and PS3 games when listening to him on the 1UP Yours podcast and the 1UP Show.

I think he just likes what he likes, not really playing sides of a single company.
I never listened to 1up Yours but this post makes a lot more sense.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
I put Pure Invention on my list of books to read. So Matt's appearance on the show will earn him at least one sale, though I can't promise when I will get around to reading it.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017

Time – Topic Discussed:
00:39 – Nicknames
15:02 – Paper Mario
23:12 – Ghosts of Tsushima
35:30 – The Last of Us 2 Spoilercast (THERE BE SPOILERS!)
1:48:34 – Xbox Games Showcase Recap
I expect lots of Tetris Effect talk.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Somebody tell Mark to give us a Stadia version of Tetris Effect. PLEA-

[User Banned: Port Begging. Duration: However long Stadia lasts.]

I never listened to 1up Yours but this post makes a lot more sense.

You can follow Mark's takes on games from way back due to old EGMs etc. He's clearly always just been a fiend for games. I think anyone who has been immersed in games for that long has likely built a natural immunity against fanboyism. Just don't mention GameBoy.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I put Pure Invention on my list of books to read. So Matt's appearance on the show will earn him at least one sale, though I can't promise when I will get around to reading it.

Same here. On my Amazon Wishlist. Need to get through a couple in my queue before I get to it, though. Let's call it an "Eventual 8-4 bump".

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have xcloud too but it's too limited in what it can do. I hope the full version comes with some major upgrades.

Yeah, they're both still not hugely ready for prime time. They did say the 720p was only for preview I think, so hopefully that's bumped when it launches this year.

Meanwhile Stadia doesn't allow 4k/HDR in their own Android TV platform... Godammit, no point getting Pro then!