• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperSonic593

Nov 12, 2017
Haven't listened through to the end yet, but I echo the other comments wishing Sarah the best and thanking her for contributing to what is a continuously entertaining & informative podcast.

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Man, that's a downer! Not at all what I was wishing for, for this Christmas.

Sarah, regardless of why you have to leave or wherever you are going, I really hope you do well and find a way to enjoy life.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm definitely going to miss Sarah on the podcast, but I will continue to follow her on Twitter as she continues her Animal Crossing crusade.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If only Sarah's cats played Animal Crossing, then she wouldn't have to leave

You'll be missed, you are a good counterpoint to the rest of the crew

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to miss Sarah on here as well, and was super bummed to hear that :( I really do hope for good things for her in the future!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it's a big surprise considering she was talking about renewing her visa last ep. Don't want to speculate... so i won't.

All the best Sarahpodz

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
JJ said he liked Bayo 1 better than 2, but then he complained about the QTEs and one of the main improvements Bayonetta 2 made was getting rid of all the QTE shit.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the qte stuff only matters like the first time you encounter it tbh (and when you come back to bayo after a long gap)

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Are there many people who prefer Bayonetta 2 over 1?

I thought at most it was pretty much split down the middle.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Suffer like G did!

Does John have a cold? He kinda sounded like Ryan Payton this week.

I for one will miss Sarah's "distinct and personal snark," she was a pretty fun addition to the cast. Godspeed.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Suffer like G did!

Does John have a cold? He kinda sounded like Ryan Payton this week.

I for one will miss Sarah's "distinct and personal snark," she was a pretty fun addition to the cast. Godspeed.
I was hungover during the second half, might have been that, not sure. December is a busy month for socializing in the JP games industry. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Only half way through so didn't hear Sarah stuff yet. Nooo ;( is she leaving japan? Didn't she just get her visa last episode?

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just heard the end of the podcast on my morning commute today. I've only been listening to the show for about six months but I was still sad to hear Sarah is leaving. Best of luck in the New Year nonetheless.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'll miss Sarah, but I imagine she can guest at some point down the road if it doesn't conflict with her new responsibilities. I assume it was a positive change and wish her the best of luck. I also hope they continue to take time to validate resetera in her absence.

Good luck!

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Re: the Sarah news:
giphy.gif

(She'll be missed)

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
in english speaking countries the use of like as a word-joiner-thingy is so ridiculously common it's pretty easy to phase it out, I only notice it if I let myself notice it these days. It's the えっと of english

Do you intentionally ignore everyone else's likes? Because other people do it a lot too.

Sarah's the best. I don't really recall her saying "like" that much recently. She's much better podcasting now.

Alright, alright I was definitely too quick to judge. It was a particular part at the start of 1 Dec episode, but a bit of a knee jerk reaction, apologies.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
Really loved this week's episode. I agree with everyone here, Sarah will be missed. She has a great sense of humor. 8-4 Play makes me love then lose personalities so often. Please don't let me lose Graham next!

Nov 27, 2017
The word hero gets thrown around a lot these days, but the way Sarah constantly took down Mark 'Dark Lord of 8-4 Play' MacDonald makes her a hero in my book

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's been a misconception about who voted at The Games Awards. It seems they thought it was entirely or mostly voted by fans ("Mario didn't win more awards because people didn't play it yet"), but while there's been an online voting, it's still mostly decided by an international jury (consisting of international media outlets). The split between user and jury voting was 10:90. In other words, the user vote was really not much more than a meaningless way to get people to talk about the show.

With that in mind, I really think it's unlikely voting was biased against newer releases. The people who made for 90% of the votes are the ones who usually play all the big releases on release day. :p

There was also a general unhappiness on the podcast about Mario Odyssey only winning one award... And while I agree that Odyssey is an exceptional game, I'm honestly not sure what other award it could've won. It was either nominated in categories where Zelda was also nominated (Best Action/Adventure, Best Direction) or where other games just deserved to win (Best Score, Best Audio Design). Sometimes exceptional games get overshadowed by other (or in this case: another) exceptional game that got released in the same year, c'est la vie.

They mentioned her moving back to the Homeland which means the US and that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

She studied there, went back to work at 8-4 and then all of a sudden moves back to the US?

Maybe she just realized living in Japan isn't for her. I don't think it'd be all that strange, considering how much of a culture clash Japan can be... and even when you enjoyed living there for a year or two, after a while you might just want to go back home. Anyway, it's her decision and I don't think there's any need for us to speculate about her reasoning. I wish her best of luck wherever she goes.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like the English version still isn't ready yet, but you can check out a PDF of the Japanese pamphlet here. I love that they're embracing the whole Shenmue thing as well, but not nearly as much as I love how the entire situation smacks of "nerdy public servant just climbed high enough up the municipal ladder that people have no choice but to listen to him now."

Kowloon was actually my top priority when I visited Hong Kong! Sure the walled city is gone, but the park itself is quite lovely and I had a wonderful time wandering around it imagining what the city must have been like. Amazing to think that something so incredible disappeared from the world during my lifetime.

thanks, i downloaded the map. if i get a free day on my next trip to japan i may return. funny that in the same episode you complain about QTEs and talk about shenmue tourism, the game that gave QTEs their name.

if they can mispronounce his name on the show i can misspell it on this forum, dammit.

Will miss Sarah.

Was great how she called out Mark and John a lot.

yeah i have basically no common ground with sarah in terms of video game taste, but i did like hearing her shit talk the guys. roy is gone too, right? they will need to do some recruiting!

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Between that, the original soundtrack, and the vinyl boxset I think I've spent more on Nier music than any other game.

StevePharma

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK !

This is the figurine that was briefly talked about on the podcast back in Sept./Oct.

#TEAMSTROOPWAFFLE

Seasons greetings to all 8-4 play enthusiasts and the team !

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
All the best to Sarah, who has been my favorite person on the crew since I started listening this year.

OP
OP
Planet_JASE

Planet_JASE

Oct 26, 2017
8-4 Play 12/29/2017: VS. SUPER RADIO BROS.

Vth5WYn.png

PUBG, Vs. Super Mario Bros., Gorogoa, RE7: Not a Hero, Tales from America, NJPW, a bonus Star Wars: The Last Jedi spoiler chat, and more! Happy New Year!

Running Time: 2:11:04

Direct Download (78.6 MB)
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
0:36 – Irregulars' Intros
15:43 – (Video Game) Tales from America
16:59 – Fortnite & PUBG
33:41 – VS. Super Mario Bros.
46:55 – Resident Evil 7 DLC
1:03:01 – Gorogoa
1:10:47 – NJPW
1:25:42 – Closing Comments
1:28:55 – SPOILER-HEAVY Star Wars: The Last Jedi bonus chat​

And now…a list of music used in our previous episode!

8-4 Play 12/15/2017: SUNSET RIDERS
Intro: Capcom – Anjanath's Theme (Monster Hunter World)
Break: Spirited Soldiers – Chants (Earth Defense Force 4.1)
Ending: Keigo Hoashi – Amusement Park (NieR: Automata)