• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 5, 2018
Tokyo
I semi-frequent the Shake Shack in Ebisu that they mentioned early on this week's podcast. I'm starting to get recognized by the staff so it may be time to call it quits. It's overpriced but so good.

8-4 Play 4/5/2019: YOSHIS DIE TWICE
by 8-4
Special guest Cory Schmitz joins us to talk Sekiro, Ace Combat 7, and all the latest news!
eVwEhVt.png

Running Time: 2:03:16
Time – Topic Discussed:
1:12 – Nicknames
18:00 – Sekiro
42:22 – Yoshi's Crafted World
48:28 – Ace Combat 7
52:02 – Yakuza 5
53:46 – Star Tropics
58:11 – News: Sakura Wars, Samurai Shodown, PlayStation's State of Play, and more
1:55:57 – Closing Comments
And now, here's the music we used in THIS episode!
***SPOILER WARNING***
Intro: The Owl – Yuka Kitamura (Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice)
Break: Main Theme – Kazufumi Umeda (Yoshi's Crafted World)
Ending: Opera – Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy VI)
As always, you can leave comments for us via Twitter at @84play. And if you're new to the show, you can subscribe to 8-4 Play on iTunes right here. Subscribe today!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Great episode. Regarding Yoshi's Crafted World, just want to say I'm really looking forward to hearing Dermott and John's impressions once they play more because the levels start to get really creative not long after the first stage, and although it's not for everyone, if you're willing to get all flowers, red coins and life meter hearts you really see how the collection aspect actually compliments the design of each stage in often devious ways. Also really happy to hear Dermott is a fan of Woolly World, that game does not get enough praise as a very polished and proper YI sequel and that almost makes me forgive him for dumping on the Konami arcade collection last week, ha.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I would have liked to learn more about how Schmitz got into graphic design and what led him down the current path. Maybe get some inside baseball on his whole design philosophy. I appreciate the fact that he's a fellow New Yorker so it was cool to hear that. I doubt I've ran into him at any events since I don't know what he looks like.

Mark shatting on Microsoft every chance he gets makes my eye roll a bit (sorry Mark). I wonder if he'll play Cuphead on Switch or give it a hard pass because MS is behind it. Still, I'll continue to check it out and bear with it even though I do wish Mark played devil's advocate.

I do agree with Mark that E3 still has some kind of relevance to the game industry even though it has changed in the last few years. I think it's trying to go the way of PAX in that wants to cater to the masses while remaining friendly to the press at large. Whether or not it manages to find a successful middle ground remains to be seen. I think Gamescom has the right idea with how to approach it. I will miss going to a movie theater to watch Sony's E3 event with a bunch of friends this year as it was a fun yearly tradition.

Otherwise, solid episode overall. I didn't really notice the change in quality of audio with the move to the new office but now that I think about it, there were definitely past episodes that had audio quality issues. I'm surprised no one is playing The Division 2 or some of the more talked about Indie games like Baba Is You. But more Nintendo talk into the mix is a good thing.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Dermot! I listened to the podcast the other day and heard about your bad poops. I started having lactose issues in my 20's as well (38 now). A couple years ago I figured out what I can do to have as much dairy as I want: probiotics. I take a pill or two a day every day and I can handle a good amount of dairy. You have to take them steadily for a couple weeks to notice an improvement. Hang in there, fellow shitbro!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
really enjoyed Graeme's opinion on games and considering challenge a puzzle.

There are definitely times when I'm too lazy to figure out how a game works and I want to not have to think. That's totally on me. It's not often that I'm in that mood, but I never gave a shit to properly learn the Junction system for example.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
really enjoyed Graeme's opinion on games and considering challenge a puzzle.

There are definitely times when I'm too lazy to figure out how a game works and I want to not have to think. That's totally on me. It's not often that I'm in that mood, but I never gave a shit to properly learn the Junction system for example.
Putting in time is totally the deciding factor when it's gameplay i am not good at, like i can't reach 1/10 of the points required in Out Run in YAKUZA 0 to complete a side-quest, and i am like "well fuck me sideways" spending time to get good at this old arcade game gives me anxiety for some reason. Sekiro on the other hand i have a far easier time justifying the time-investment because short-cuts and strategies are so much more available, leniency can be found if you try looking for it and have no shame in just looking those up.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Hey guys, with the Fire Emblem Heroes event now running, I wanted to hear more about your work with Dragalia Lost.

- Did you do the base translation and then hand the rest off to another team going forwards or do you constantly work on this project as it develops?
- Anyone in the office still playing?
- Just wondering how you all feel about the generosity shown to players compared to other gatcha games.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm catching up on the 4/19 show and at around 1hr even when they're discussing PS5 and BC they then speculate a bit as to whether or not Nintendo will have BC next time and John says he think it's likely that they will but then Graeme says 'Carts, I dunno you can never tell with carts.' Maybe I'm misreading this bit but don't really get why Graeme would seem to think the prospects for BC with carts would be iffy when it should be almost a given if Nintendo approaches the Switch successor like they did with full, seamless BC with DS carts on 3DS.

timelyhoward

Nov 15, 2017
So I'm catching up on the 4/19 show and at around 1hr even when they're discussing PS5 and BC they then speculate a bit as to whether or not Nintendo will have BC next time and John says he think it's likely that they will but then Graeme says 'Carts, I dunno you can never tell with carts.' Maybe I'm misreading this bit but don't really get why Graeme would seem to think the prospects for BC with carts would be iffy when it should be almost a given if Nintendo approaches the Switch successor like they did with full, seamless BC with DS carts on 3DS.

Carts, man. NES didn't work on SNES, which didn't work on N64. GB worked on GBC which also worked on GBA, but only the latter of those went on to work on DS while the former two did not. Then came the 3DS, which supports DS but nothing else, and now we have a Switch that only does Switch.

Until the Switch there was a trend of portable Nintendo hardware supporting the software of the device immediately prior to it, so it is certainly possible that the Switch's successor may support Switch software (and I hope it does!), but... Carts, man. You can never tell with carts.

Hello from Chongqing, by the way! Thanks for always listening and commenting.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Carts, man. NES didn't work on SNES, which didn't work on N64. GB worked on GBC which also worked on GBA, but only the latter of those went on to work on DS while the former two did not. Then came the 3DS, which supports DS but nothing else, and now we have a Switch that only does Switch.

Until the Switch there was a trend of portable Nintendo hardware supporting the software of the device immediately prior to it, so it is certainly possible that the Switch's successor may support Switch software (and I hope it does!), but... Carts, man. You can never tell with carts.

Keep up the good work!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

Hey, thanks for the reply! :D

Yeah at some point after I posted that I kinda figured you might be thinking NES not being BC on SNES (was actually considered at one point) and OG GB line getting cut off with DS, ect but those involved large hardware evolutions and in your examples I'm still seeing more of Nintendo actually trying to make BC happen than "never can tell." ;) I'm gonna have to side with John that it's likely the Switch successor will be BC. Otherwise I do get where you're coming from now. Also wanna say I LOVE and am MISSING the "chill out" podcasts you, Roy and Dermott did, know you guys are busy but would love more of those in the future. Anyways, keep up the good work!

Edit: Oh yeah, and just a tiny bit of feedback, as a shmup fanatic I'm always happy to hear shmups/2D shooters or just arcade games in general get discussed on the show even if only briefly. I really dig what John said on a recent show about how with R-TYPE Final 2 and new Samurai Shodown "it feels like the 90s again." :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/84play/status/1124288640434130945

8-4 Play 5/03/2019: SUPER GOLDEN WEEK
For a very casual Golden Week episode, we talk about what we've been playing, and reflect on the games that made Heisei great.

@8-4 With a lot of podcast talk in the news regarding Luminary and podcast monetization - I'm wondering if you guys have discussed some of the ways that ads or monetization could be implemented without doing all the work that say a Patreon would require. Seems to be the future of podcasting.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
P5 Royal seems like it's going to be just like P4 Golden. I don't know why people assumed they would do a new protagonist. They only ever did that with P3P which was the 3rd release of the game, and was stripped down in a numerous ways to work on the PSP.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
DMC5 is an amazing game. Almost as good as RE2. John should watch the pre-viz cutscenes if he hasn't done so already.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The Chongqing tangent had me rolling. I was there two years ago and also felt vaguely racist whenever I mentioned it to someone.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Oh, totally forgot about these! What is it, DLC? I just bought the standard package version but I don't think I ever saw that option (unless I missed it).

It came with the deluxe version but you can buy it as DLC. It's definitely worth the $4, but I'm sure they're online somewhere.

I watched them on my second playthru and the Japanese actors are really impressive. The lady who played Nico is so good it helped me forget the horrible redneck accent the character has in the English VA.

https://www.pcgamer.com/devil-may-cry-5s-live-action-cutscenes-finally-prove-that-games-are-art/

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be super into Scott Popular and Graham doing an Evo recap or something. Dude was super entertaining on the podcast whenever he was on a couple of years ago.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8-4 Play 5/31/2019: TICKET TO RIDE
by 8-4
ALL ABOOOOOOOOARD! The #E3HYPETRAIN is leaving the station!

4x3tlAA.png

Running Time: 1:57:30
Time – Topic Discussed:
0:56 – Nicknames
12:20 – Death Stranding
31:10 – Katana Zero
39:00 – Castelvania Anniversary Collection
47:30 – News and E3 predictions
1:47:20 – Closing Comments

And now, here's the music we used in THIS episode!
***SPOILER WARNING***
Intro: Quad City DJ`s – C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)
Break: Akiko Itoh – Stage 02 (Kid Dracula)
Ending: Tee Lopes – Studiopolis Zone Act 1 (Sonic Mania)
As always, you can leave comments for us via Twitter at @84play. And if you're new to the show, you can subscribe to 8-4 Play on iTunes right here. Subscribe today!
Thanks for listening, and like us on Facebook!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to the HYPE TRAIN podcast yet but I just wanted to thank this thread for introducing me to those pre-vis DMC5 cutscenes. SO AMAZING.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Terrace House in Karuizawa was also very good. The "he finished himself" incident makes the meat incident from Boys & Girls look like nothing by comparison.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Choo choo!

Even though this year there's one less train on the tracks the other trains are going faster than ever

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hearing Mark's voice crack as he screams E3 HYPE TRAIN to interrupt a conversation about laundry is why this is my favorite 8-4 episode year after year.

And I haven't even gotten to the games yet!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the dude who shoves coal into the boiler of a train is a stoker