• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I was tickled pink when they not only answered my mailbag on the latest podcast, but it was the first one! Thanks 8-4!

Donkey Kong Country is one of my favorites on the SNES so hearing them badmouth it in the past stung. Happy to hear their expanded thoughts on it though.

Sorry guys but DK's tie is amazing i don't know what's wrong with you.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'd like more reader mail episodes, maybe like once every 3 months have 20-30 minutes segment at the end of the episode for answering peoples questions.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC JJ used to post whenever the episodes went up, so that's probably why it doesn't happen as consistently anymore, I don't think it has anything to do with there only being one thread.

I just listened to the episode and I'd be curious to hear what people would like or expect from an 8-4 patreon--I'm sure this discussion has been had before but they've been talking about it for so long now that I'm sure peoples' hopes or expectations have changed.
All I could really ask for is more episodes. Otherwise I love what they're doing.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
The furious typing going on during this latest episode is killing me. I'm having a hard time listening to it. Please 8-4 fam next time tell the stenographer to take the holidays off.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I could barely even hear the typing and I was wondering what everyone was making such a fuss about, but then I remembered that my podcast app has voice boost and that it was probably canceling it out automatically. If you're on iOS I can't recommend Overcast highly enough. It's got pretty much every podcast player feature you could want, and then some that you probably didn't even know you wanted (like automatically scanning back to the start of a person talking when resuming from a long pause in playback rather than picking up again midsentence). It's also free, so there's no reason not to check it out.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, wasn't expecting to see an 8-4 credit on a video on Being the Elite (YouTube channel following a bunch of wrestlers in New Japan and Ring of Honor)

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of an odd question, but does anyone know what old Japanese game had its text boxes enlarged for the international releases? I could've sworn that it was Dragon Quest, but I'm having some trouble finding more information. I think I first heard about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good gawd

12 egg omelette
20071118-12_Egg_Omelette_1.jpg

plate of hashbrowns for reference
348s.jpg

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12 eggs didn't seem like much in my head, but seeing that picture with what must be a ton of stuff inside, that thing is a monstrosity.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition on my Switch this weekend and I have to give a shoutout to 8-4 for how great the localization is, even a decade later. I think the quality of the localization plays a big part in why the game is still so beloved in the West. Good stuff!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I listened to all of it, but thoughts:

Mark's frat story seems fucked up. Different era I guess.

I beat Mother 3 in Japanese, and while I liked it, and took lots of screenshots of awesome dialogue, I knew a lot of the style in the dialogue was over my head. Replaying it this year would be fun. I'd do so on Wii U.

Tales is tempting to me. Playing games primarily in Japanese, and being in Japan, I've never had a chance to experience an 8-4 localalization. With Switch's language options, this would be a great way to do so.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Most recent episode was great. It seems like the podcast has reached the proverbial sweet-spot where the cast has been consistent for long enough that they've established a rapport and can riff off of each other fluidly. Makes for a great listen.

I think there should be a segment in each episode where Ricciardi gets to filibuster about things he's noticed in the game industry and what he thinks should happen going forward; what publishers should be doing; how localization can be improved overall, and/or any other trends in games/gaming. Call it The Ricciardi Editorialor the Ricciardi Rant® or something.

Donkey Kong Country isn't a bad game but it's not a good game either. DKC on the SNES felt to me at the time the same way I felt about Adventure Island on the NES. It was a passable, interesting game that wasn't really a whole lot of fun to play.

Unpopular opinion: The entire Mario Universe has jumped the shark and needs to be put to rest. Though I guess it would be cool if they did a gritty, minimalist remake of Super Mario Bros; Alien Isolation style, with nothing but a realistic Mario who finds himself trying to escape a Salvador Dali acid-trip mushroom kingdom, with almost no callbacks save for a few Piranha Plants. JJ get to work on this brother.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue" would have fared in the "Paid demos are disgusting" segment of the podcast. Obviously it didn't have the same progression that story based game would, but I thought of it right away during the segment.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of omelettes, I wonder why omurice has never caught on in the US?

And, for some reason, that thought has me wondering what an omurice breakfast burrito would taste like. Maybe I should invent it...

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like omurice in mcdonalds?

No clue, it costs like 10 cents for an egg and pennies for rice and ketchup.

Literally all profit

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i know they have a great relationship with nintendo but how long until plastering 8-4 on things gets them Mario Kart Owned

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8-4 Play 1/25/2019: RE: RE2
by 8-4
Joined by a special guest, we talk at length about Resident Evil 2 and its recent remaster, while doing our darnedest to dance around spoilers.
msNNsbb.png

Running Time: 2:12:11
Time – Topic Discussed:
1:35 – Nicknames
16:59 – Resident Evil 2 Hype Train leaves the station (choo choo)
1:35:25 – Pikmin 3
1:36:06 – Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight & Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight
1:39:47 – Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
1:48:50 – News: AGDQ 2019, Rocket League, and of course more Resident Evil 2
2:00:53 – Closing Comments
And now, here's the music we used in THIS episode!
***SPOILER WARNING***
Intro:
Looming Dread (Resident Evil 2)
Ending: Last Judgement (Resident Evil 2)
As always, you can leave comments for us via Twitter at @84play. And if you're new to the show, you can subscribe to 8-4 Play on iTunes right here. Subscribe today!
Thanks for listening, and like us on Facebook!

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great special guest this week.

And yes, you can even find Hi-Chew in Walmarts in the US. A co-worker brought them in to work one day, and I've been addicted to them ever since.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That good, huh? Off to Amazon I go.

Looks like this is the right stuff, but man is it expensive compared to the big bag you can buy on Amazon or in stores.

https://www.amazon.com/total-Pieces...48518605&sr=8-3&keywords=hi+chew+lilikoi&th=1
It's either that or directly from ABC but shipping makes it expensive. The problem is those flavors are exclusive to their stores so there is no easy way to get them.

https://www.abcstores.com/hi-chew-abc-store-exclusive

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>Intro: Looming Dread (Resident Evil 2)
They don't make music like that anymore

food discussion > game discussion

Maybe there should be an addendum to the intro.
"podcast about Japan/games/food"

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Great episode as always. I'll totally second cvxfreak's RE3 Remake with the movement of RE6 thoughts. That game gets piled on for a lot of things, which is entirely fair, but the character movement options and mobility was one of the best things about that game, and hasn't really been done as well in any other game. It's similar to Max Payne in some regards, and fits the more action-y titles insanely well.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever record a second half of their Resident Evil retrospective? I see the first half in the OP but I can't find the second.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Podcast's up: http://8-4.jp/blog/?lang=en

We finally embrace the darkness and talk Kingdom Hearts, along with a new 8-4 member. Plus some Resident Evil 2 gushing for good measure.
Running Time: 1:52:03
Time – Topic Discussed:
2:22 – Nicknames
25:44 – Kingdom Hearts
36:39 – Kingdom Hearts 3
47:50 – Resident Evil 2
1:08:34 – News: RIP Wii Shop Channel, tiny Switch rumors, Pokemon Go updates, and Apex Legends!
2:00:53 – Closing Comments
***SPOILER WARNING***
Intro:
Cercatori del Buio (Kingdom Hearts 3)
Ending: Wii Shop Channel / Mii Channel – Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
As always, you can leave comments for us via Twitter at @84play. And if you're new to the show, you can subscribe to 8-4 Play on iTunes right here. Subscribe today!
Thanks for listening, and like us on Facebook!

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Regarding the Resident Evil 2 soundtrack....

If you get the Deluxe version you can choose to have the original Music and sound FX. You get a lot more music in the game that way, maybe too much. I played as Claire first with Remake audio, then did 2nd Run as Leon with Original music/SFX.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great podcast! By the way, in the podcast, I don't remember who it was that said their gf was getting motion sick from watching them play Resident Evil 2 but it's worth noting that there's an FOV slider in every version of RE2 as well as an option that lets you turn off camera bobbing. I hope that helps!
Ohh, that was me - will check it out, thanks! We decided to have her play and me watch instead, but this time I ended up getting sick (and she didn't feel well either). Never happens to me, could be a prob of giant ass TV in relatively small living space, I guess.

Anyway, will mess with settings, thanks did the heads up!

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode, as usual. I haven't finished it yet, as I try not to listen to it one go, since I immediately get sad when I realize that I'll have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode.

In regards to the Patreon discussion from a couple episodes ago: I know you guys said you don't want to half-ass the Patreon, but I'm in for $5 or $10 a month with the current setup. No need to think of cool stuff to add to make it worth it—it already is IMO!

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Oooooh it's here!

http://8-4.jp/blog/?p=3308&lang=en

Graham'd better go in depth on Tetris 99, lol

8-4 Play 2/22/2019: MAKE IT PURPLE
There's a battle royale for everyone this week, and tons of Nintendo news to discuss!
Running Time: 1:43:06
Time – Topic Discussed:
1:26 – Nicknames
13:33 – Tetris 99
27:10 – Daemon X Machina
41:35 – Apex Legends
54:14 – Resident Evil 2
1:05:03 – Nintendo Direct and other news
1:39:07 – Closing Comments

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I don't know if the rumor is true or not, but I thought Scalebound looked awesome, so I'd love for the rumor to be true.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and since I forgot to comment on the previous podcast, I'm excited to hear about the new guy's experience in PAL land. As an ignorant American, those conversations are always interesting to me.