• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've never heard them go so hard in on a translation before. I was wavering on whether or not to get Requiem and I think I might not at this rate.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
Skittles:

The tongue as an organ has evolved to inform us on these five major qualities of food content, namely, ensuring energy reserves (sweet), maintaining water balance (salty), guarding pH (sour), motivating protein intake (savory), and avoiding toxins (bitter).

We shouldn't expect different flavours of skittles to vary significantly in these ratios, and thus we shouldn't expect that any nose-plug test would reveal any useful information about the variants.

Flavour as a sensation is about as multisensory as you can get. Changing the smell, texture, and even appearance!, is to literally change the flavour of the food, as strange as that may sound.

This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective; feeding is a constant risk/reward between consuming nutrients vs. poison, thus we need as much information about food as we can get before it even gets inside our mouths. Therefore, the selective drivers for flavour are as much smell and sight as they are taste.

This is all elegantly summed up by Donald B. Katz and Brian F. Sadacca in "The Neurobiology of Sensation and Reward".

Hoorah for science.

Anyhoo, there's a pretty good chance that my first child will have been born before the next 8-4Play is out, so I'd like to request a segment on the do's and don'ts of gaming with a newborn in the house. Maybe get Jake back on the show? Dermot, having been just recently born, could give his perspective as well. Looking forward to it.

I just listened to this part of the episode and wanted to chime in too. Many flavor companies construct flavors based on aroma only. It's a stretch to expect something like an energy drink company to make different bases and add flavors with different amounts of sugar, for example. Flavor is an immensely complex concept, wherein certain aroma compounds can enhance the sweetness of a food or a taste sensation can vary your perception of aroma from one food to another. Food companies that add flavor to a product are looking for a simple way of delivering different products without multiple batches that require different processes and different equipment.

Also, evolutionarily speaking, scientists have detected odor and taste receptors (not the same thing) in the human bloodstream. They theorize these are sensors that detect and regulate necessary compounds in the human body.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
i've never heard them go so hard in on a translation before. I was wavering on whether or not to get Requiem and I think I might not at this rate.

Requiem SOTN is more of a sideways step in quality rather than the improvement it should have been... like, yeah they rewrote it but it's not a good rewrite, and from what I've heard they literally rewrote the English script instead of retranslating the Japanese script so it's like, why'd they even bother? Again, the VA's fine but there's nothing memorable about it.

I can't be sure as I haven't checked for myself (and probably never will, I can't find my PSP) but I've heard some of the punctuation issues in SOTN Requiem are an emulation issue.

Most everything they complained about in Requiem Rondo was the same on PSP: the audio desyncs, the sloppy text, etc. Seeing it emulated at a higher-res makes it even worse because you can physically see some of the edits, it's like they cut/pasted chunks of text out of MS Paint or something.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Requiem SOTN is more of a sideways step in quality rather than the improvement it should have been... like, yeah they rewrote it but it's not a good rewrite, and from what I've heard they literally rewrote the English script instead of retranslating the Japanese script so it's like, why'd they even bother? Again, the VA's fine but there's nothing memorable about it.

I can't be sure as I haven't checked for myself (and probably never will, I can't find my PSP) but I've heard some of the punctuation issues in SOTN Requiem are an emulation issue.

Most everything they complained about in Requiem Rondo was the same on PSP: the audio desyncs, the sloppy text, etc. Seeing it emulated at a higher-res makes it even worse because you can physically see some of the edits, it's like they cut/pasted chunks of text out of MS Paint or something.

Ah, so would it still be a bad idea to pick up the Dracula X version with the games inside it?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, so would it still be a bad idea to pick up the Dracula X version with the games inside it?

If you don't like the sounds of any of those changes then yeah, don't bother, Requiem is literally the PSP versions running in an emulator. The PSP collection does also include a 2.5D remake of Rondo that's not in Requiem--it's not very good but it's there.

Honestly, for as annoying as all these little changes/bugs are and how little effort Konami's willing to spend keeping these games in circulation, if these are your only options to play them then I'd still say go ahead, the SOTN script changes in particular are something that won't matter without a reference point.

That said, you can emulate the original versions of both games on a toaster.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please spread the bacon saving to the treehouse JJ, we can never have too much saved bacon

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i've decided justin is now my uncle who works at nintendo

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Wait. The joke is actually

Knock Knock
(Who's there?)
Boo
(Boo who?)
Don't cry, it's just a joke.

I forget who did it, but they fucked it up, right? Or did I mishear them saying "ghost"?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up and I'm in awe at how Graeme was so totally clueless to all Spider-Man lore. The comics, movies and even the cartoons somehow escaped him. Still, was interesting to know what a Spidey noob thought of the game.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
http://8-4.jp/blog/?lang=en

8-4 Play 11/16/2018: SMASHING GOOD TIME

by 8-4
We're back with another!
vCWHpMS.png

Running Time: 1:40:03

Time – Topic Discussed:

17:03 – Pokémon Let's Go
23:18 – Tetris Effect
35:16 – Koei Tecmo's PC library
43:37 – News: 13 Sentinels, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Spider-Man, and more
1:31:08 – Closing comments

And now, here's the music we used in THIS episode!
***SPOILER WARNING***

Intro: Hirokazu Tanaka – Music B (Tetris)
Break: Junichi Masuda – Gym Theme (Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow)
Ending: Rush – Yoko Kanno and Seatbelts (Cowboy Bebop)

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember any talk of JJ's new gig this episode. Was it recorded before the news was public?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Tetris Effect part, and Graeme's praising it, but being frank with things he thinks unbalanced is very refreshing.

Sold my PS4 so I can't play it, but if I ever rebuy one/it comes to Switch I'm there!

Edit: great episode. Nothing specific about it, but really fun to listen to, great personalities, and Dermot is totally right in calling out John for the cynicism!

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to hear John is fully on board the Yakuza train now.

Tetris Effect is too hard for me. I need a baby mode for Journey.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Latest podcast, hmmm, white meat? It's clearly the inferior meat. Those of us in the know can take advantage of this, for example, if you order a family dinner at Swiss Chalet you can get 6 legs instead of a few breasts. It's the obvious choice.

It seems like there's a Pokemon segment every episode? Is there really a pokemon game released every two weeks or are they discussing the same game? I honestly don't know. I hear it as "gloob gloob picachu blarg xorx maorx bloop". I'm sure the game(s) are great.

At some point I heard "Destiny Connect" and my brain interpreted it as "Destiny Kinect" for a split second because anything is possible in 2018.

For next episode, hopefully they find time to discuss the biggest gaming news of the past 27 years; i.e. the rumored inclusion of CANADA in Civilization. Câlice, crisse d'ostie de tabarnak, this is huge if true. Rumours speculate that Sir Wilfred Laurier himself will be the leader. I've got five dollars on it.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-19-at-12.42.33-PM.jpg

Last edited:

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
my wife prefers white meat, i prefer dark. it works out well when we cook a whole chicken. less so when we are making other dishes, especially since i always lose the argument.

the first time i was in japan i was served what i think was konnyaku noodles. i guess i didnt really digest them and the next time i pooped i thought i had contracted a parasite or something until i pieced together what happened.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm side eying the fuck outta this "doesn't fit smash" bs lol

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Especially with bayo basically becoming a Nintendo franchise from 2 on

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
All the hype here and everywhere got me to buy and play Smash for the first time.

I'm trying to get into it, but it still seems so so foreign to me. I casually played fighting games in the past (loved Tobal No 1), but still hard to get into.

Hopefully multiplayer will make it all click.

—-

Loved the episode as usual. Loved the Christmas stories.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Was there a conscious decision that 8-4play podcasts wouldn't get a new thread every episode at ResetEra? It really seemed to foster more discussion about each episode.

I didn't even know a new episode was out (I vaguely remember in the last podcast hearing it would be the last of the year.)

Will listen to sometime in the next week.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was there a conscious decision that 8-4play podcasts wouldn't get a new thread every episode at ResetEra? It really seemed to foster more discussion about each episode.

I didn't even know a new episode was out (I vaguely remember in the last podcast hearing it would be the last of the year.)

Subscribe via RSS and you don't need to rely on a thread.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Mark, if you're lurking, I got Tetris Effect as a Christmas gift and look forward to playing between a heavy game like Persona 5, AC: Odyssey and Yakuza 6. I'll tweet the pic at you but don't have a PS VR to enjoy the acclaim it's been getting. I'm sure you're going to toot your own horn some more about the accolades next episode much to listeners' chagrins. :p Funny enough I've also been reading the history of Tetris graphic novel and it's quite excellent. I highly recommend it.

I'm quite surprised that none of the 8-4 peeps had a top 10 article on Giant Bomb. I was expecting it so I was a bit bummed but probably deadlines were tight. But I can probably gauge that Dragon Quest XI, Destiny 2: Forsaken, and MonHun World would be a top 10 among other games.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite surprised that none of the 8-4 peeps had a top 10 article on Giant Bomb. I was expecting it so I was a bit bummed but probably deadlines were tight. But I can probably gauge that Dragon Quest XI, Destiny 2: Forsaken, and MonHun World would be a top 10 among other games.
Oh, I didn't notice this. That is disappointing.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have no idea about decisions to go one way or the other, but maybe we can all try to be better at posting when the new episodes are up.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC JJ used to post whenever the episodes went up, so that's probably why it doesn't happen as consistently anymore, I don't think it has anything to do with there only being one thread.

I just listened to the episode and I'd be curious to hear what people would like or expect from an 8-4 patreon--I'm sure this discussion has been had before but they've been talking about it for so long now that I'm sure peoples' hopes or expectations have changed.