• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The bonus Nintendo Direct segment was great and I loved how Mark was in the background, lol

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't deal with Marks' new sound.

Edit: Man God reveals himself.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tell when Mark is talking unless he gets squeaky, he sounds like a totally different person.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Music from the same day too? Yeah, Mark has been replaced with an imposter. He died in that bathroom.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I thought someone was impersonating Mark as a bit until they started signing off and I realized the podcast was about to end.

On Yokai Watch, one of the reasons it took so long to come over is that Level-5 is really insistent on the whole media-mix thing and wouldn't release anything until they have a full coordinated rollout with the game, anime, toys, etc and I think that was a mistake--the game and the anime both did okay in certain markets but the toy angle was a massive flop and, I think, a gimmick that stopped working in the US in particular a long time ago. There's also all sorts of rumors surrounding Level-5 IA but I wouldn't even know where to start with those.

They were never going to be able to hang with Pokemon outside of Japan but they sold okay by "brand new, untested 3DS RPG" standards and they could definitely have become a solid franchise in the west had they not been so stubborn about repeating the Japanese playbook in slow-motion, especially once it became obvious it wasn't working. Like, just last week they put out Yokai Watch Blasters/Busters in the US, the three-year-old spinoff game... the audience here simply doesn't exist for that level of milking and definitely doesn't want to wait years and years for this crap.

Beyond all that, Level-5's games are all so cynical that I can't really root for them, they have that Ubisoft-y mix of being very savvy but also thoroughly derivative.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought someone was impersonating Mark as a bit until they started signing off and I realized the podcast was about to end.

On Yokai Watch, one of the reasons it took so long to come over is that Level-5 is really insistent on the whole media-mix thing and wouldn't release anything until they have a full coordinated rollout with the game, anime, toys, etc and I think that was a mistake--the game and the anime both did okay in certain markets but the toy angle was a massive flop and, I think, a gimmick that stopped working in the US in particular a long time ago. There's also all sorts of rumors surrounding Level-5 IA but I wouldn't even know where to start with those.

They were never going to be able to hang with Pokemon outside of Japan but they sold okay by "brand new, untested 3DS RPG" standards and they could definitely have become a solid franchise in the west had they not been so stubborn about repeating the Japanese playbook in slow-motion, especially once it became obvious it wasn't working. Like, just last week they put out Yokai Watch Blasters/Busters in the US, the three-year-old spinoff game... the audience here simply doesn't exist for that level of milking and definitely doesn't want to wait years and years for this crap.

Beyond all that, Level-5's games are all so cynical that I can't really root for them, they have that Ubisoft-y mix of being very savvy but also thoroughly derivative.
I agree about the rollout being bad, for sure. That said, the games really are great, and the show was good too.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
God I hope this segment with Chris "What Nintendo has learned from Kickstarter" Plante is almost done. He's even worse on a podcast than he is in print.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I plated Resonance of Fate on the 360. I liked it a lot, but not enough to put another 40 hours into the remaster.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Since I have a bit less time to listen to podcasts I'd forgotten how much I love this show. The Keshi stuff was super interesting. Shame spodz left before the AC announcement.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
  • I miss JJ on the show
  • Mark broke me heart by cutting short the game design discussion
Great TGS episode, good range of games (the Catherine story being the highlight)

Shafto

Oct 30, 2017
I was positive that wasn't Mark until some way through.

Great to hear Chris Johnson from Player One Podcast getting to talk about Sea of Thieves too.

TGS show is always manic, but real highlight of the 8-4 year.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
What was the name of the game that Shane Bettenhausen and Dick Buttner were talking about, which was previously a PS3 game and is primarily local co-op?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Listening to the TGS show right now, about an hour in and I'm still not convinced thats actually Mark. Like... its not him right? They were just running that joke the whole ep or something

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Considering I was on this episode and literally sat across from Mark coughing in my face the whole time... haha. I can certainly confirm it is indeed him and he was very sick. There is also photo evidence!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Fell behind with 8-4, and so I listened to a few the other day.

The secret direct talk was really funny. Enjoyed listening to Roy, Dermot and Graeme talk. I don't really have game tastes similar to any, but each person's tastes seem diverse and genuine and hearing them talk about games is good fun.

TGS episode was also good. I'm always amazed how Mark can organize all these people going in and out, ensuring everyone has enough time to talk a bit, ensuring all games are talked about. It usually comes across as no big deal, but I would think (for personal experience in facilitating discussions) that it is actually a real skill to have.

I think I have one more to listen to (3 episodes ago?), and hope to do so sometime this week.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just read that your guys were/are involved in Dragalia Lost...well now im really excited for this title. Congrats to the quad and the upcoming launch of the title !!!

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird af title
Also it's setting itself up for some bad puns if it's not profitable/good

According to director Hiroki Matsuura, the game's main story comprises more than 600 thousand words in its original Japanese version due to the inclusion of character stories and sidequests, with around 100k more words for every post-release event.
ooof

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, congrats on that Dragalia Lost job, 8-4 guys. That's a pretty big deal.

The TGS episode was great as always.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, y'all~ <3

We've got another giant-ass project slow-cooking at the moment, plus a bunch of other misc. things in the works. This was indeed one of the big ones we were hinting at, but not the only one!

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations on Dragalia Lost! I'm not that into mobile games, but I'll definitely check it out now that I know 8-4 worked on it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, y'all~ <3

We've got another giant-ass project slow-cooking at the moment, plus a bunch of other misc. things in the works. This was indeed one of the big ones we were hinting at, but not the only one!

is it nintendo's long-rumoured-since-sunday-this-week waifu gatcha game where they transform the rest of their franchise into waifus as well

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, y'all~ <3

Be honest John- was working on this game the real reason you started playing Granblue again a month or so ago?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
mark literally tranmogrified into a demon

Haha, yesterday I binge-watched the second season of The Exorcist and I've just started listening to this podcast, and I was like...wtf...

I'm about 45 minutes in and only now am I starting to believe it is really him. Having also recently recovered from a broken throat, I'm impressed he is able to do the show. That's effort, right there.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Mark sounded like death. TGS show was fun but I feel like Shane wasn't on long enough. Good show.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i was surprised to head the negative response to the music from nier (1/gestalt/replicant) from the guy who went to the concert. i rarely have strong feelings on game soundtracks, but i love that one and thought it was pretty well received by fans of the game. i am sure the budget for the soundtrack and everything else was bigger for automata, but that didnt retroactively make music from the first game bad to me.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, y'all~ <3

Yo I've been playing this A TON so thank you all for your efforts here. It's great so far!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i was surprised to head the negative response to the music from nier (1/gestalt/replicant) from the guy who went to the concert. i rarely have strong feelings on game soundtracks, but i love that one and thought it was pretty well received by fans of the game. i am sure the budget for the soundtrack and everything else was bigger for automata, but that didnt retroactively make music from the first game bad to me.

i thought he was just saying that the orchestration was stronger for automata than nier or something

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i thought he was just saying that the orchestration was stronger for automata than nier or something

i think you are probably right. the way it sounded was that the crowd wasnt really into the nier stuff, then came alive during automata. also possible i am misperceiving how people feel about nier's soundtrack.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
New episode: http://8-4.jp/blog/?p=3251&lang=en

Mega Man 11, Spider-Man, a special Monster Hunter segment, and more!

Running Time: 2:11:09

Time – Topic Discussed:

1:58 – Mega Man 11
15:55 – Spider-Man ***SPOILERS***
37:54 – Odallus: The Dark Call
42:15 – Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
51:10 – Dragalia Lost
56:20 – Monster Hunter World Dream Match interview
1:48:43 – News: MariCar lawsuit, Castlevania Requiem, Telltale closure, and more
2:07:30 – Closing comments

And now, here's the music we used in THIS episode! ***SPOILER WARNING***

Intro:
Super Fighting Robot (Mega Man)
Break 1: Yuka Tsujiyoko – Distant Roads (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
Break 2: Akihiko Narita – Quest Complete (Monster Hunter World)
Ending: Kenta Nagata – Main Theme (Mario Kart: Double Dash)

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the episode. Dermot and Graeme both seem to like video games, and play the video games to the end and have opinions on them. That's cool and fun to listen to.

I'm not a Monster Hunter fan, and I can usually find interest in the Monster Hunter talk, but the interview this time seemed to be specially for hardcore Monster Hunter fans. Which is cool, I spaced out listening to it while playing Civilization III.