• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
www.cnn.com

750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes approved for release in Florida Keys | CNN

A plan to release millions of genetically modified mosquitoes in 2021 has won final approval from authorities in the Florida Keys, despite the objection of many local residents and a coalition of environmental advocacy groups.

A plan to release over 750 million genetically modified mosquitoes into the Florida Keys in 2021 and 2022 received final approval from local authorities, against the objection of many local residents and a coalition of environmental advocacy groups. The proposal had already won state and federal approval.

The mosquito, named OX5034, has been altered to produce female offspring that die in the larval stage, well before hatching and growing large enough to bite and spread disease. Only the female mosquito bites for blood, which she needs to mature her eggs. Males feed only on nectar, and are thus not a carrier for disease.

if we survive to 2021, that is.....

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if this stops just ONE mosquito from buzzing near my ear ONE TIME, then it will be for the greater good

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Fuck mosquitos....
However I've seen too many b-horror-movies to see where this is going....

Do ticks next please, probably worse than mosquitos

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Sounds like a plot from the 1960s Batman TV show where Joker gets elected Mayor or something and does everything he can to fuck stuff up

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, I'm reading through that CNN story. So the idea is that over the long haul because females keep dying at birth, mosquito populations would eventually get wiped out?

Wouldn't that massively fuck up the ecology if mosquitos just started disappearing?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What this literally the plot of that movie Mimic?

Mimic.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This has been done in a bunch of locations for years, last I heard (like 6 years ago) it ended up working really well and nothing got fucked up.

OP
OP
hordak

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Uh, I'm reading through that CNN story. So the idea is that over the long haul because females keep dying at birth, mosquito populations would eventually get wiped out? Wouldn't that massively fuck up the ecology if mosquitos just started disappearing?
Apparently there's like 3,000 species of mosquitos and only a few hundred suck blood, so if they only do one in Florida, it shouldn't backfire. At all.
What this literally the plot of that movie Mimic?
i think that was cocroaches. Fuck cockroaches.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Uh, I'm reading through that CNN story. So the idea is that over the long haul because females keep dying at birth, mosquito populations would eventually get wiped out?

Wouldn't that massively fuck up the ecology if mosquitos just started disappearing?

nope, nobody likes them and nobody needs them

www.sciencedaily.com

Removing malaria-carrying mosquitoes unlikely to affect ecosystems, says report

By combining studies on one species of malaria-carrying mosquito, researchers found that no other animals rely solely on them for food.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It's Florida, I'm sure one of them will accidentally be injected with the T Virus and then we'll all be doomed.

Nov 22, 2017
nope, nobody likes them and nobody needs them

www.sciencedaily.com

Removing malaria-carrying mosquitoes unlikely to affect ecosystems, says report

By combining studies on one species of malaria-carrying mosquito, researchers found that no other animals rely solely on them for food.

They evaluated only 1 species of mosquito, to which there are many. And while I do believe their claim that no other animal relies solely on them, the fact that some animals do rely on them to some extent will have consequences.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
That is wrong. There a tons of things that eat mosquitos and their larvae. Elminating the mosquito species will have consequences. The internet has been spreading the whole "if they all died nothing would change! lol" for years.

what animal requires mosquitos and only mosquitos to survive? their larva will still exist for food. They die before the full mosquito stage.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't they already try something similar to this in Brazil and it failed?

From 2013 to 2015, an English biotech company released millions of genetically modified mosquitoes into neighborhoods in Jacobina, Brazil, in an effort to reduce the number of native disease-carrying mosquitoes. But unexpectedly, some of the gene-edited mosquitoes passed on their genes to the native insects, fueling concerns that they created a more robust hybrid species, according to new findings.

From: https://www.livescience.com/genetically-modified-mosquitoes-create-hybrids.html

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
So shortsighted. Bats, birds and other animals rely on mosquitos as part of their diet. Eliminate mosquitos and we may see adverse effects up the food chain.

Put on mosquito repellent you giant pussy.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
So what's going to stop these new genes from being passed on and mutating to cause more harm than good?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So shortsighted. Bats, birds and other animals rely on mosquitos as part of their diet. Eliminate mosquitos and we may see adverse effects up the food chain.

This is about saving the millions of people who die because of them, it's not about eliminating a mild inconvenience.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

That is wrong. There a tons of things that eat mosquitos and their larvae. Elminating the mosquito species will have consequences. The internet has been spreading the whole "if they all died nothing would change! lol" for years.
I remember looking into this a few years back, and as far as I remember, even the animals with the highest proportion of mosquitos in their diets were still under 5% total, which was deemed basically insignificant by biologists.

Anyway, next up should be ticks.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If I recall, mosquitos have been determined to be a nonvital part of basically every ecosystem they are found in and their removal isn't harmful. Bats and birds don't really eat them much, and mosquitos also fuck with other animals.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for mosquitos fucking off, so yeah whatever it take I guess.

Here's just hoping this won't have any blowback against humans of any kind, post-release.

Last edited:

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait is the idea supposed to be that all the real male mosquitos will have babies with these fake ones and then they'll just go extinct? lol

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Mosquitos currently occupy zero critical niches in any food chain. Its absence will be reoccupied by existing insects.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
This is about saving the millions of people who die because of them, it's not about eliminating a mild inconvenience.
Yeah, I take back my flippant comment above. The human loss to malaria and other maladies due to mosquitos can't be under stated. Sometimes I post before thinking it through.

That said, I do think we should be careful with this.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Not sure how I feel about humanity intentionally wanting to wipe out an entire family of insects.

And before you say "well they kill many people every year," it'd be wayyyy more beneficial to actually go after the disease(s) instead.

But hey I'm not a scientist.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Wait is the idea supposed to be that all the real male mosquitos will have babies with these fake ones and then they'll just go extinct? lol

No. All the genetically-engineered mosquitoes they release are males. The idea is that the engineered males will compete with the non-engineered males for the existing females.

In older experiments, they would release sterile males, so they would mate but not produce any offspring. That would cause a one-off reduction in populations, but they would eventually grow back normally.

This newer approach is to release males who are not completely sterile, but that can only have other engineered males as offspring. This way the cycle keeps repeating, and the number of females decreases with each successive generation.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I remember looking into this a few years back, and as far as I remember, even the animals with the highest proportion of mosquitos in their diets were still under 5% total, which was deemed basically insignificant by biologists.

Anyway, next up should be ticks.

Basically, yeah. The nutritional value of mosquitoes is ridiculously poor, so the only thing that uses them as a primary food source that I'm aware of is a specific sort of semi-carnivorous pitcher plant and one very unique type of frog.