• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Anyone notice this?

Kinda interesting that they dont consider it HD even if it is a lowest standard of HD, shouldnt it still be considered HD since what comes after 1080p is considered as "4K" and "8K"?

Edit: 1440k is also HD - forgot about that lol.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is no longer an HD system!

also, it still is HD since what is HD is determined by a group (kinda dumb, but whatever)

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HD and "Full HD" was always confusing. If it's not full HD then how can you call it HD?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Is it because they promised to lower everything to SD and they will just lower it to 720p cause "its not HD"? :D

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
NfFTdNv.png

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Anyone notice this?

Kinda interesting that they dont consider it HD even if it is a lowest standard of HD, shouldnt it still be considered HD since what comes after 1080p is considered as "4K" and "8K"?

Edit: 1440k is also HD - forgot about that lol.
Resolution/DCI standard/PR speak to sell tellies. No wonder my nan still doesn't know what HD is :D

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think there is much of a difference I can tell between a 720p or 1080p youtube video anyway to be quite honest.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no standard... it's a colloquial notion. It's like saying the fifth generation of consoles or lofi technology. It's not a standard, but contextually agreed nomenclatures.

The Advanced Televisions Systems Committee actually does define "high definition" broadcasts as being roughly twice as much resolution as SD broadcast (defined by the NTSC standard, referred to as "conventional" in this exerpt because it's the ATSC 1.0 standard, i.e. 480 vertical lines) in a 16:9 aspect ratio:

High-definition television (HDTV) – High-definition television has a resolution of approximately twice that of conventional television in both the horizontal (H) and vertical (V) dimensions and a picture aspect ratio (H × V) of 16:9. ITU-R Recommendation 1125 further defines "HDTV quality" as the delivery of a television picture which is subjectively identical with the interlaced HDTV studio standard.

720p meets this definition.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The Advanced Televisions Systems Committee actually does define "high definition" broadcasts as being roughly twice as much resolution as SD broadcast (defined by the NTSC standard, referred to as "conventional" in this exerpt because it's the ATSC 1.0 standard, i.e. 480 vertical lines) in a 16:9 aspect ratio:

720p meets this definition.

Huh. Well, that's not very good standard naming to be honest. There's only so many superlatives.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
good. 720p video is bad. the only 720p i use these days is on my Switch which is fine there.

all videos should default to 1080p unless 720p is the highest available quality.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
It's really not all that complicated nor confusing now, is it? Why would you change this common nomenclature that has been used for decades now? I don't see the benefit from doing so. In fact, in light of the corona virus outbreak, it would actually make sense to rename 480p as "HD" to fool people into thinking they are watching HD content, in order to diminish bandwidth use.

480i = SD
480p = ED
720p = HD
1080p = FHD
1440p = QHD
2160p = 4K
4320p = 8K

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can complaint all you want, but YouTube (AKA Google) has the power the change the standard. If they say 720p is not HD then everyone else will progressively follow suit.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
good. 720p video is bad. the only 720p i use these days is on my Switch which is fine there.

all videos should default to 1080p unless 720p is the highest available quality.

Not nearly as bad as native res displays that suck at it and aren't made for it whereas 720p or 240p on crts do just fine.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
720p can be a good resolution to use if you have a 1440p monitor as 720p can be integer scaled to 1440p. If you have a 1440p monitor and want something to look as sharp as possible, a 720p video will actually look sharper than a 1080p video.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder how long until Youtube (and others like Netflix) does AI Upscaling to preserve bandwidth

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can complaint all you want, but YouTube (AKA Google) has the power the change the standard. If they say 720p is not HD then everyone else will progressively follow suit.

No they don't. The standard is adopted and enforced by the FCC, and regulated by the ATSC, which is a non-profit entity that is comprised of members of several large entities, kind of like the DVD Forum.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
720p can be a good resolution to use if you have a 1440p monitor as 720p can be integer scaled to 1440p. If you have a 1440p monitor and want something to look as sharp as possible, a 720p video will actually look sharper than a 1080p video.
Is this really true? Despite the integer thing 1080p still has so many more pixels than 720p.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this only noticeable with 2D, pixel art graphics?

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Is this really true? Despite the integer thing 1080p still has so many more pixels than 720p.

It causes artifacts like the bottom one in this image, with inaccurate edge colors due to pixel interpolation, so integer multiples will look significantly cleaner. Going down to 720p would mean dropping every third row/column. The artifacts are about as common so it depends if you want a crisp, accurate image with some added pixelation or an (often not very well) interpolated one at higher resolution.

click for full res (source)
mKH16K.png

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Good. 720 should've never been called "HD" in the first place.
It causes artifacts like the bottom one in this image, with inaccurate edge colors due to pixel interpolation, so integer multiples will look significantly cleaner. Going down to 720p would mean dropping every third row/column. The artifacts are about as common so it depends if you want a crisp, accurate image with some added pixelation or an (often not very well) interpolated one at higher resolution.

click for full res (source)
mKH16K.png

I probably already know the answer, but why does 1080p on 4k still have "blurred" edges on text and stuff despite it seeming a 'perfect' fit scaling-wise?

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Good. 720 should've never been called "HD" in the first place.

I probably already know the answer, but why does 1080p on 4k still have "blurred" edges on text and stuff despite it seeming a 'perfect' fit scaling-wise?

Integer scaling is just one option, so it isn't always used to upscale 1080p to 4k. Sometimes interpolation is still applied to reduce pixelation, it's just not required the way it is with non-integer scaling.

What form of scaling is used depends on the monitor/hardware. From quick googling it seems like Nvidia and AMD GPUs will only use bilinear filtering so most people recommend letting the monitor handle upscaling instead.

EDIT: it seems like most displays don't use integer scaling either, but those that do shouldn't contribute any blurring

Last edited: