• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
digital bros keep talking about the future being entirely digital.. but aren't we already living in the future?

Sorry but when did "digital bros" become a thing lol, what a weird term. The future is digital you can deny it all you want, if that wasn't the case ever why did both console makers make a digital only console. Good luck buying a disc for games like Apex Legends, Warzone and Fortnite, you know the most popular games out there and they are all doing the best.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
IPxGqtS.jpg

I've been full digital across all mediums for around a decade now.

It works for me on several levels, but I can respect those who wish to continue physical.

Heck, I've been building my Stephen King hardback collection for over 30 years and I don't see that ending anytime soon, lol.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do love physical games - simply because of the flexibility involved with buying and selling. I would ultimately quit console gaming for good if we went digital only to be honest. I will fund new game purchases using older purchases.

Granted I do not have the same flexibility with PC gaming, however, discounts tend to be much greater.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
Does From Soft make more money on digital sales vs physical? I'd assume so but I have never confirmed, maybe retailers take smaller cuts versus Sony, but then their is the price of plastic.

No matter, From's eating.

Oct 30, 2017
if that wasn't the case ever why did both console makers make a digital only console.
For those who are only digital consumers ? because as I said we are "ALREADY" living in the future and digital media has become a big part of our daily lives yet still large part of people are getting their big games physically.

Fortnite and games like its type of course it's ideal for them to be digitally because they are multiplayer games... hell I buy my MMORPG like FFXIV digitally because they are ideal for it... the same for Indies and small games I buy them all digitally.

I am talking about AAA and AA games.

Oct 30, 2017
Does From Soft make more money on digital sales vs physical? I'd assume so but I have never confirmed, maybe retailers take smaller cuts versus Sony, but then their is the price of plastic.

No matter, From's eating.
The retailer will take a smaller cut, but Sony still gets a cut.
So I believe it still about evens out.

But someone else may be able to chime in.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation AND Nintendo owners have a higher physical buying ratio than XBOX.

In my city, physical games are still going healthy and strong especially on PS5.

digital bros keep talking about the future being entirely digital.. but aren't we already living in the future?

It's 2022 and the pandemic did it work to push towards the digital also almost everyone in big cities have strong internet connection.. yet we still see around 50% sales of AAA games being physically.

Yeah the digital bros have seen the light they are looking for which is digital games... but they don't understand that there is A LOT of people who are still prefer buying their games physically.

Games isn't as simple as music and movies who can be streaming or bought digitally no problem for their sizes AND the kind of entertainment media they are which more portable to watch or listen to anywhere on laptops or tablets or even phones.. of course the same goes for PC gaming since it's mostly based on the idea of solely digital store like steam.

Consoles games are different because the consumers on it on both Playstation and Nintendo consoles large part of it still prefer to buy physicals.

Strong gamer vibes from this post.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive result for PS considering all the big releases it's getting lately.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
btw there is something I don't understand in that comparison with Horizon: if HFW slightly outsold ER in physical copies, that would mean that 51% * HFW > 30% * ER.
Doesn't that mean that ER could not have outsold HFW more than 1.7x? Or is my math completely wrong?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wonder what the Series S/X split between the userbase is. I got a few friends who went with Series S as their Xbox console for this gen.

Nov 1, 2017
I've gone fully digital in regards to gaming. Having said that, I think it's in everyone's best interest that physical remains a factor for as long as possible, if for no other reason than game preservation as servers pop off years down the line.

And fantastic for Elden Ring! Soulsborne games aren't typically my thing but it's always great when people love a game and it's always a win when a new IP breaks out.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
y'know theyre not forced to buy a series S if they dont want to, right? Nobody's holding a gun to their head and making them buy a series S when the X is out of stock.
I know but people are impatient. Everyone I know wanted a ps5 followed by series x and all but one ended up with a series S as its the only one readily available without going out of your way.

I imagine many others settled also when they couldn't get what they wanted.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, did I underestimate Elden Ring big time! I underestimated the value of the game for the masses, the impact of GRRMartin and the impact of a big 97 on metacritic. It's me who is out of the loop, I have to admit. Wow.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, I'm amazed so many people are still buying physical games. I don't know a single person irl who still does

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Literally days after Nintendo announces the closing of two of their digital storefronts.

Folks will never learn.
Not all storefronts are created equal. Nintendo has never gotten their act together on long term support of any of their platforms. I'm good with digital games on Xbox, but I'd still be a bit hesitant for anything from Nintendo.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft have done a really good job of pushing their base to digital. Between reward points, Game Pass, the Series S and quick resume, digital just makes sense on Xbox and the strategy is clearly working for them.

For a Japanese game is pretty great numbers for xbox platform, hope @SquareEnix see it.

That's a really healthy split.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Considering Japanese games skew towards PlayStation (even ones "targeted" towards the west), 29% of a pretty good result for Xbox, not sure why some people are concern trolling?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i have embraced the digital side of gaming on Xbox due to how much care Xbox has put in to my digital content. My games move forward, they get free updates, I pay half price with game sharing and it feels like I actually own the physical copy. Sony and Nintendo have allot of work to do because I don't feel confident that my games will carry forward and I worry if they even care if they do. I think it's been unfair people have kind of dismissed everything Xbox has done with digital content because Sony and Nintendo have been so bad at it as the market leaders.

bob1001

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 7, 2020
It sold 2.5x the amount of copies of last week's hit Horizon: Forbidden West.
That is actually very surprising to me, I was convinced Horizon would sell more than Elden Ring (could still be true outside of the UK) but 2.5x is a big difference.

Also the only next gen console here the UK which is readily available is the Series S, which is digital only. Might explain why such a huge percentage of people on Xbox went digital.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How amusing that Horizon got BOTW'd again.

Elden Ring's runaway success is crazy surprising to me. It's technically a new IP, but that doesn't seem to have been a barrier at all, and it's outpacing all other Souls games by a gigantic margin. What's even going on here.

I do think horizon will end up selling more lifetime, but it'll be close.

I imagine it will, although only because Sony will bundle the hell out of it as they do with their first party games.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
How much better it sold than Dark Souls 3 launch I wonder? I'm honestly expecting it to outsell MHW.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think physical games will be gone. You can still buy most new albums on CD and most movies on DVD. History shows us that enthusiasts will still buy a small percentage of total sales on physical media.

It'll just get small.

CDs and DVDs require someone (anyone) to make players. Physical games require the platform holder to make a console that supports them. There are no physical PS6 games in a world where there's only one model of a PS6 with no disc drive.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Maybe but it's worth noting that Sony will most likely give it away for free in a year or two (just like the first part)

That wouldn't be counted as a sale. Either way, and to your comment, the most surprising game on GI's Top 10 list is Horizon Zero Dawn: number 5 digital, number 6 overall. It was literally given away for free without a PS+ sub a year or so ago.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Elden Ring is the biggest non-FIFA or Call of Duty launch since Red Dead Redemption 2 | UK Digital Charts

Elden Ring is the biggest UK video game launch since Call of Duty: Vanguard, according to the latest digital and physic…

Edit: Not surprising its selling since HFW just came out, but that it charted at all since it's been given away for free to anyone with a PSN account.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Playstation AND Nintendo owners have a higher physical buying ratio than XBOX.

In my city, physical games are still going healthy and strong especially on PS5.

It's 2022 and the pandemic did it work to push towards the digital also almost everyone in big cities have strong internet connection.. yet we still see around 50% sales of AAA games being physically.

Yeah the digital bros have seen the light they are looking for which is digital games... but they don't understand that there is A LOT of people who are still prefer buying their games physically.

Games isn't as simple as music and movies who can be streaming or bought digitally no problem for their sizes AND the kind of entertainment media they are which more portable to watch or listen to anywhere on laptops or tablets or even phones.. of course the same goes for PC gaming since it's mostly based on the idea of solely digital store like steam.

Consoles games are different because the consumers on it on both Playstation and Nintendo consoles large part of it still prefer to buy physicals.

I can't let this beautiful tirade go. I am now a digital bro, your post is PraiseWorthy.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only reason I have any physical games at this moment is because some came bundled with my ps5

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That has very little to do with it. People like Souls games, they buy them period. I have Horizon: FW and GT preordered and didn't buy ER on PS platform.

Eh, I wouldn't discount it, especially given they are all full-priced titles. I've got a couple mates who are souls-fans on PS playing ER, and intend to get HFW afterwards. It's all anecdotal at the end of the day.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
That wouldn't be counted as a sale. Either way, and to your comment, the most surprising game on GI's Top 10 list is Horizon Zero Dawn: number 5 digital, number 6 overall. It was literally given away for free without a PS+ sub a year or so ago.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Elden Ring is the biggest non-FIFA or Call of Duty launch since Red Dead Redemption 2 | UK Digital Charts

Elden Ring is the biggest UK video game launch since Call of Duty: Vanguard, according to the latest digital and physic…

Edit: Not surprising its selling since HFW just came out, but that it charted at all since it's been given away for free to anyone with a PSN account.
the most surprising thing is xcom 2 being so high