• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel?

• It’s fine

Votes: 616 18.1%
  • Not a fan

Votes: 2,778 81.9%

• Total voters

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
$70 games w/o MTX - sure, I understand games cost a lot more to make than they did in 2005 (not like that money is going towards devs though 👀 , so kinda fuck off since it's going into some shareholder's pocket)
$70 games with MTX - fuck off, you already make tens if not hundreds of millions, you've already got way more than $70 per player

Deleted member 60402

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 3, 2019
Still angry. But I already decided to waste my next console fund on building up a retro collection and a better pc.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I buy so few games at $60 that I really don't care if new ones are $70.

If the price really bugs you that much wait a few weeks/months, so many huge games drop in price quick as long as they're not published by Nintendo.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am fine with it. It doesn't make a huge difference for me and it's been a long time coming. Plus, I have no real say in the matter - games cost what they will cost, so if I want to play them I'll have to deal with it.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been paying more than 70$ for games for a few years, but that we in Europe get stuck with 90$ price tag for games is insane.

I'm not buying a new console either way because of other issues but I'm not paying 90$ for a video game

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Resist the FOMO and just buy them on sale. Games go on such deep discount these days that it's pretty easy to game on a budget (except Nintendo games unfortunately).

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If this price hike meant the end of predatory microtransactions I'd be okay with it in time. As is though, fuck that.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
$70 sucks but I can wait for sales. I'm pretty upset on behalf of European players though cause that Sony exchange rate is SHIT

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass has so much, I'm sure there is stuff you'd want to play. Plus it doesn't hurt to try games you may not normally look at.
There's not a single game on GP that you want to play...damn

I looked at the library of games on gamepass when i was comparing playstation now and gamepass. I looked through the library online twice didnt see any game that would make me subscribe to the service.

Oct 25, 2017
Boo, hopefully most 3rd parties don't follow suit.

I'm looking at Destruction All-stars and it looks really fun but it's $89.99 CAD so over $100 with taxes. I don't know who is going to buy that at full price.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
People are fucking weird with this ''it's fine, I expected it'' like holy shit grow a spine and see that record profits and software sales are being made, publishers have more power than ever and attempt to nickle and dime us at every opportunity they can.

Why is it time to raise prices? What is the justification? Rising development costs? Yet here we are -

April-2020-NPD-Group-Chart.jpg

21492.jpeg

These companies are making more money than ever before, there is absolutely zero justification other than to improve the lives and wages of actual developers (won't happen, trickle down economics is a myth). It's pure and simple fucking greed.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Sony found out we've been paying $69 for their games all last generation in Aus and this is their payback.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not great but me and my bro split digital games thru gameshare anyway so as long as that's still possible we're good

'Tis what it's

Oct 31, 2017
But games 100% do not cost the same as they did before. Games are monetized much more then 20 years ago, 20 years ago you paid 60 and that was it, they never saw another dime from you until they released a new product.
Yes, but that doesn't apply for all games, and of course this increase in cost has different true value across different products.

For the most part, I avoid games that charge a pricey upfront cost and then expect a ton of additional revenue over time unless it's something I really seriously desire. Overall though, I am pretty judicious with both my time and money spent on video games in that I only spend both of those resources on stuff I know I'm really going to enjoy a lot.

For me, I'd much rather pay more up front than pay less and be nickle and dimed even more. Yes, the nickel and diming is happening regardless, and in the most egregious of those kinds of examples, my argument is that those games are definitely not worth (typically) the upfront cost that they ask, regardless of whether that upfront cost is $60 or $70.

And honestly, the return-on-investment for most games (for me anyway) is usually worth it for the amount of enjoyment over time I get for the price I will pay upfront.

Like I said in one of my other posts in this thread, it's less a problem of 'costs' and more a problem of what people actually 'value'.

If someone doesn't think a game is worth the asking price, they have every right to wait for a discount or spend their money and time in other locations.

For me, if another ten bucks is a necessary sacrifice for high quality, envelope pushing, cutting edge games, then it's worth it for me. And honestly, developers have subtly raised the upfront cost on many games for awhile now, they've just done it by saying "oh get "Early Access" before the release date!", which is functionally just a higher upfront cost and a built in discount over time in the MSRP.

It does suck for the people outside of the U.S. though, that's definitely true.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It will boost a new era of outrage once the high discounts a few months after release begin.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day we paid 80 dollars for games and we liked it as we trudged uphill through the snow both ways. You kids these days have it easy with your MyBooks and Facespace...

but no seriously shits ass. This is totally the Paying for online moment from current gen. With Gamestop dying, it makes trading in games even harder...so yeah after the initial thirst, I will simply buy less games and gamefly more.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Not cool, wonder how many others price their games at the same level.
If it becomes standard...then damn.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
No way in hell am I paying $70. Most games aren't even worth $50 and they come with mountains of DLC on top, big meh.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I will be waiting for sales on even more titles.

Most games simply are not worth that much to me.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People are fucking weird with this ''it's fine, I expected it'' like holy shit grow a spine and see that record profits and software sales are being made, publishers have more power than ever and attempt to nickle and dime us at every opportunity they can.

Why is it time to raise prices? What is the justification? Rising development costs? Yet here we are -

April-2020-NPD-Group-Chart.jpg

21492.jpeg

These companies are making more money than ever before, there is absolutely zero justification other than to improve the lives and wages of actual developers (won't happen, trickle down economics is a myth). It's pure and simple fucking greed.

Do you feel the same that McDonald's burgers don't cost 15 cents anymore? More people are playing games it's why there is an increase of profits, but games costs more, employ more people than before (well that and mtx for the companies that do it). Stuff goes up in price, it's not some nefarious plot, and doesn't make people spineless to go "yeah it's gone up in price". Just be like many of us that wait for sales

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It was expected but this still blows, especially if you live in parts of the world with shit conversion rates like Australia or Latin America.

Honestly this just convinced me to stick with Steam and Gamepass.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of games do you like?

I usually like story driven 3d person action games. I am also very picky about games i want to play i have a list of caveats that will make me not want to play a game, for example no FPS games dont like them will never play them. I'm not the kind of person who will beat a game then trade it in, so I don't like services like gamepass and playstation now that swap out games. Sometimes i put a game down for about a year depending on my mood then pick it up again depending on my mood.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm not cool with it. It's way too expensive.

What needs to happen is these companies need to find a way to get their games in to two billion people's hands instead of two hundred million. Consoles are becoming a needless barrier, thankfully, so hopefully, next generation's "consoles" will be an app on your TV.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part I don't like it, I wouldn't mind waiting for price drops even more now than ever.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I usually like story driven 3d person action games. I am also very picky about games i want to play i have a list of caveats that will make me not want to play a game, for example no FPS games dont like them will never play them. I'm not the kind of person who will beat a game then trade it in, so I don't like services like gamepass and playstation now that swap out games. Sometimes i put a game down for about a year depending on my mood then pick it up again depending on my mood.
Then yeah, you sound like the exact niche that Gamepass isn't good for. That's a bummer!
Ps: That said Gamepass gives you a decent discount on top of other discounts if the game is on Gamepass so you can always purchase it too

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
sucks but i'll just raise my resale prices of said games by $10 and probably come out of it none the worse for wear

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Buying special/collectors editions has gone out the window with this new price.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel the same that McDonald's burgers don't cost 15 cents anymore? More people are playing games it's why there is an increase of profits, but games costs more, employ more people than before (well that and mtx for the companies that do it). Stuff goes up in price, it's not some nefarious plot, and doesn't make people spineless to go "yeah it's gone up in price". Just be like many of us that wait for sales
1.Cost of living has increased
2.Wages have not met the increased cost of living
3.Entertainment is still tertiary spending.
4.Other Forms of entertainment have gone down in price.
5.Many of these prices increases are not regional and just flat price. Like latin america already barely affords video games and yet they are going to spend 10 USD more when their monthy wage can be like 300 USD.
6. Its not like these companies are going to stop MTX gouging, this will jsut become pure profit.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
There are games I feel like hit that value but I'm less likely to take a chance on things I'm unsure about.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I lived in Japan for most of the PS4 generation and that country doesn't have fixed pricing like the US. And now living in Canada again due to the weak Loonie, high priced games don't really phase me because it's the norm. Also games already cost that much when you factor in season passes and all the other dlc they want you to buy.

Just wait for sales.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I rarely buy full priced games at launch even now
Not gonna be doing it at all this gen
It will crush my soul not getting GoW Ragnarok and having to camp offline until I find an ok price

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I've been moving towards not picking up the latest stuff out the gate as it is unless I'm playing it then and there. PS5 going $70 is going to pretty much push me to not get a PS5 until there's a good deal. And that's if other games don't take priority since I have a PC and a backlog as is.

I'll be interested in seeing how fast that $70 price tag drops. I feel this may be a tactic so that they can get more out of stuff before the price gets cut in half or more.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, regardless of the cross gen, this was the worst news of the day. Completely hype deflating. Unfortunately like many other people, everyone I know is going with the PS5 so Sony has them by the balls and they know it. $100+ CAD is insane, I won't be buying any new game at launch and will just wait to buy it used on kijiji.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling is going to flip out in his next video.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Won't be buying any games new at launch. I usually don't anyway, but 70 dollars is just too much for me.

Thankful for Game Pass too.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was to be expected with the rising costs of game development and hardware manufacturing.