• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel?

• It’s fine

Votes: 616 18.1%
  • Not a fan

Votes: 2,778 81.9%

• Total voters

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not happy but... it is what it is I guess. I almost never pay full price for games.

With Microsoft games I use Game Pass, with Sony games their prices drop fairly quickly so as long as that keeps happening I'm good, EA games are similar but drop in price even faster lol.

Activision and Take2 tho... And If Nintendo follows? Fuck. Their games never drop in price lol.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Here in Europe we've been paying 60€ for the last 15 years, so I guess Sony (and other publishers) have a point.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
It absolutely sucks.

It was also absolutely inevitable.

It would feel more palatable to me if games weren't filled with an absurd amount of MTX.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
its stupid games are making more money then ever

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i'll happily give 70$ to studios like Vanillaware, they're desperate for it, i aint giving the big companies a god damn thing

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't really effect me in the end as I like to be patient a bit for sales. That said, it makes game pass an even better deal for me so, that's nice.

The argument that "dev costs have gone up" is true...but like...your consumer base has gone up too. It's not like physical items where it costs you a decent percent of the sale price just to make each and every one you sell, not so with software. Costs up, consumer base up, publishers incomes insanely high now.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of a mistake because of how quickly games devalue already.

more games are just going to have disappointing launch windows

Oct 31, 2017
It has been inevitable for a long time. I'm fine with it honestly. You cannot possibly think video games were going to retain a fixed cost of $60 for 2+ decades, when inflation has been growing the whole time on top of budgets growing huge too. Something has to give sometime somewhere.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I fucking hate it with every fiber of my being. It's the first time in my life I have considered going straight to PC. I'm not going to pay $500 for a system and then $70 for a game. Not a single solitary chance in hell. So i will either wait for a massive sale/price drop or I will be investing in an average PC.

$70 is a joke.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting it, and I don't mind. I'll get the games I really want at launch and wait for others to be discounted as I usually do.
Yup. This is what I've been doing this gen and will keep on doing. I think I buy like 3-4 games at full price a year. This year is differently since new consoles but on regular years, 3-4.

Oct 27, 2017
Conflicted, I don't mind paying the price for a single player game like God of War but I completely understand people not being happy considering that this increase won't lead to less/zero microtransactions.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I only buy 3-5 full priced games a year. Won't really change anything. If I'm hyped enough to spend $60, I'll spend $70.

Apr 30, 2019
I really can't see myself ever paying $70 for the base version of a game. Maybe if it was one of the best games of all time. It's especially insane to pay that much with Gamepass being a thing.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
It's too much.

But I don't buy games when they first come out so I don't really care. I'll buy when they go on sale. $50 or less new. I won't pay more than that.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its shit and luckily we know some companies are not doing it. We will see how it rolls out

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how PC games end up being priced too, the higher console price just reaffirms my decision to stay PC gaming.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It has been inevitable for a long time. I'm fine with it honestly. You cannot possibly think video games were going to retain a fixed cost of $60 for 2+ decades, when inflation has been growing the whole time on top of budgets growing huge too. Something has to give sometime somewhere.

You're right, but the marketing model for alot of games has changed.

Expansions are common, DLC is common, Micro-transactions are common, etc.

It feels like gaming as a whole is far more popular also than 20 years ago.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
It really sucks, but it was inevitable. I think as a result, I'm going to be waiting on a lot more games to drop in price now instead of hopping on them day one.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I expected this last gen, I'm not happy about it, but I'm also not pissed at it.

Used to wait for new releases I wasn't day 1 on to be 40 bucks, now I gotta increase that level to 50.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate it with every fiber of my being. It's the first time in my life I have considered going straight to PC. I'm not going to pay $500 for a system and then $70 for a game. Not a single solitary chance in hell. So i will either wait for a massive sale/price drop or I will be investing in an average PC.

$70 is a joke.
If $70 gets adopted by everyone in the console space it's going to eventually brings its ugly head on pc too, same thing happened with 50 -> 60 on pc.

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
70$ is way to much. In my country games were $92. This will go to more than $120. That's fucking too much

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, but not surprised. Feel for everyone who gets screwed over with the currency conversions they're doing.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I'm surprised it took this long to happen.

I remember people talking about it back at the start of the 360/PS3 era.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The industry is bigger than ever, there are more consumers than ever, profits higher than ever. This is not necessary, it's greedy

Jul 20, 2020
It's w.e, I'm probably falling for corporate trickery but the facts game prices haven't gone up in over 10 years is crazy.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The only full price game I've bought this generation is smash bros ultimate. Games simply cost too much IMO and I won't pay those prices. I mostly play older games anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm actually fine with it for Sony's big first party single player releases, and similar third party productions.

I already refuse to pay full price for third party games full of microtransactions & stuff. Those tend to drop in price pretty quickly in comparison so I'll just keep waiting for them.

I don't mind waiting 6-8 months to play most games.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me feel better about my plan to get a series x and rely almost exclusively on Gamepass.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
At $70, I will bite at only my most desired of games. No different than today, really.

For everything else I'll get in at substantial discount. Having the patience to play 1-2 years behind launch will save you a ton. Especially now at $70.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. Going to be buying physical and reselling with greater frequency next gen.

Fortunately, I don't buy that many AAA games, and tbh the ones I do buy are usually Sony first party and if anyone deserves to charge more, it's them. Long, high production value, single-player experiences with no DLC or MTX most of the time.