• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel?

• It’s fine

Votes: 616 18.1%
  • Not a fan

Votes: 2,778 81.9%

• Total voters

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
We first got the hint when 2K announced their next gen pricing a while back. With Sony exclusives up for pre-order with the same price tag, it's obvious this will be the norm moving forward.

Personally, fuck this shit. Cost of games are rising, yes, but we are already gouged for more money with digital add ons. Exclusive PC gaming becomes more attractive each generation shift, and the only thing that would keep me tied down to a console is Nintendo's games. If Sony begins to start dropping their 1st party games on PC day one with their console release. It will be a wrap for me for Sony's consoles as I already have done away with Xbox.

I don't think many will feel the same as I do, as I do see the appeal of a console, but I'm starting to feel less of a personal need for them and it doesn't seem like that will be going the other direction based on all that has changed in the gaming landscape in the past few years.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Game companies are making money hand over fist, resulting in executives making more and more money
We are entering the beginning stages of a global recession, while currently battling a pandemic
Wages and purchasing power have been stagnant for two decades

It's an unnecessary change to the pricing of games.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Technology is only going to get better, which means it's only going to cost more to make games which then means video games were only going to get more expensive for us to buy so that they can recoup their money. It makes sense, logically, doesn't make it any easier to digest.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just more incentive to stop pre-ordering and playing games at launch.

Especially with gamepass, I have a million other games to play so I can wait for sales.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks, but felt inevitable after 2 full generations at $60.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
It brings back terrible flashbacks from being a kid when they used to cost that much, I guess I'm also going to buy significantly fewer games like when I was a kid as well.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Wait for cheaper prices.

No point in jumping in Day 1 these days, especially given how many patches are doled out in the first couple months~

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Expensive as hell...
I hope this industry starts downsize a little bit, we don't need 70 bucks 200 hour filler games...

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
$124 RRP Australian here. That means that all digital games on PSN first party and those third party publishers that raise prices will be looking at a $124 digital versions while it will be likely to be able to pick up a physical copy for $89-95. PS5DE is dead here in Aus for me.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't feel bad about it if micro transactions weren't so predatory. NBA2K costing $70 is a fucking joke. I would pay $70 for GOW 2 and not feel bad about it because they didn't fuck with extra shit.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Not good. Even more reasons to buy disc version of next-gen consoles to have option to get it cheaper or trade-in.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Learning to wait for sales more. Still haven't played FFVII yet, feel okay about it.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Not great honestly. If that extra $10 allows developers to improve quality and have less predatory elements like constant micro transactions then fine but I'm sure it won't be that way.

The only game I've bought this year that feels like it could cost $70 would be The Last of Us 2. I felt the production value and polish in that game was superb. Aside from that, I can't see justifying it. But it won't matter, I'll have no choice if I want to play these games ASAP.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not supporting a single game at this price. The reasons this industry has always given us to justify stuff like this has primarily been lies.

Remember when they said a digital future would mean cheaper games? How often does that actually happen on walled garden platforms that aren't Steam?

I have seen no game shown for PS5 worth $70. Not a single one.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be waiting for half price sales on pretty much everything except for like three franchises.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I don't mind, I'll just wait for sales.
I don't need to play the full priced hotness at release.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Bad. I've already been short on games cash this past year, so I haven't really bought anything brand new. This is just going to further that.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't pay $60 for any Xbox or PS4 games this gen... probably not going to pay more for next gen. I'll Gamepass for most stuff and I'll wait on sony exclusives once I get a PS5 in a few years.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Went from AU $100 RRP (US $72.72) to AU $120 (US $87.26), so... Yeah, fuck that shit.

Why the hell are they widening the gap even more?