• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They gave an option for those that dont buy physical. As a physical buyer: I don't see the problem.

Xbox one s all digital is a thing, and year on year digital sales increase. They still decided to give us a disc version, meanwhile catered to the digital crowd with a likely cheaper box. It's a better alternative than a severely lacking lower tier model.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Keep telling yourself that.

Thinking Sony will eventually stop producing a disc version of the PS5 is delusional. It means you live in a very small bubble.

It lacks all semblance of logic.

If you want to discuss whether or not there will be a disc version of PS6, feel free. But you do not know what you're talking about if you think Sony will literally stop producing the disc version of PS5.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm buying the bluray drive version, not because I plan on buying more physical games, but because I have plenty of physical PS4 games. I dont care much for BC, but I do find some value in being able to play my physical PS4 collection whenever I want, also not being limited by only digital is a bonus. In the end it comes down to if you find any value in the more expensive PS5 console, some will, some wont.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
On the other side of the coin, why should I, someone who hasn't bought physical media in literal years, pay more for a feature I will never use?

The option is great, I know people who love to buy games physically and I wouldn't want to take them away from them (though I think it will inevitably be gone one way) but I was very pleased to see an exclusively digital SKU.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you guys hate physical so much? Digital just isn't viable for many people. Not too mention digital sales are horrible on the console stores, they started good this gen and then got worse.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Like I said on another thread, as long as shitty internet exist, data caps, etc and fiber optic isn't the standard, Physical ain't going anywhere, and physical also having some advantages over digital media.

I swear some of you live in a bubble of "if i have It, that means everyone else too"

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Digital software on consoles is still too much of a walled garden. The competition between digital storefronts on PC is what keeps software pricing consumer friendly.

But with that said, digital game availability has improved on console over the past generation. Maybe these digital-only skus will help accelerate things in the right direction. I expect Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to do plenty of kicking and screaming, though. And lord knows they're not dropping their dumbass subscriptions for multiplayer and the like.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
The rest of the world does not have the internet infrastructure of the west. Even within the west, it's uneven. Going full digital isn't going to happen until MOST of the purchasing world can support. Sony has global stakes in the game so they're never going to go full digital before then.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Microsoft tried to pull off at the start of this generation would have greatly fucked up with physical games.
Even if Sony is trying to influence its user base to move to an all-digital future we have no indication that they're planing to mess with physical games.

I'm the kind of guy that's still buying audio CDs and given the option will choose physical games. If they mess with these, I'll see myself out of their ecosystem.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Keep telling yourself that.

Last FY was the first fiscal year that digital had higher share of software sales on PS4 than physical. Not to mention physical games still sold over 120 million units (and probably had way higher average selling price as first week sales still skew to physical). They are not going to abandon disc drives this gen.

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
Both the PS5 and XSX will be expensive. I believe this is the reason for there being 2 SKUs for each offering.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
a) DIgital-only is already here. I have a PS4 slim, and I only own 2 physical discs (that came with the console and the PSVR, respectively). Not so much of a trojan horse, more like stating a fact.
b) Not sure the digital version is going to be cheaper? That's the assumption, but they haven't confirmed anything in terms of pricing yet. I honestly wouldn't mind if they were the same price but offered a bigger ssd/an hdd for extra storage, but yeah it will likely be cheaper with no differences lol.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
In a world where vynil albums have come back in stores, I don't think physical is ever going anywhere. It's here to stay

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
With Sony, they introduced two versions of the PS5:
BwstKOc_d.jpg

On the left, you have a piece of modern art that ate questionable meat and now needs to see a doctor about a likely tapeworm infestation.

PS5 Tapeworm™

... Am I overthinking this?
... What makes you think the PS5 isn't with child? Bit presumptuous to suggest the swelling is a parasite, and not a wonder of (techno)nature.

Disappointing.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
In a world where vynil albums have come back in stores, I don't think physical is ever going anywhere. It's here to stay

It's been said before but bears repeating, vinyl is not a good comparison. Anyone can make a record player and sell it and it will work with any vinyl record.

If Sony were to drop the drive completely, say with the PS6, then that's it. The console manufacturers are in a unique position in controlling physical media's destiny on the consoles.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Am I going to be able to lend my friends my physical games on the PS5 like I do in that instructional video?

Because as long as I'm able to do that, I'm happy.

OP
OP
ShiningBash

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I still plan to buy physical games for the full extent of the PS5 life cycle. Think you might be overblowing things here.
If there was a poll in this thread, I think most posters would agree! I should clarify, I don't think the physical games market will disappear this gen (the retail market dominates Japan and others have pointed out that there are many countries where large digital downloads are impractical).

However, by making cheaper digital versions of the PlayStation and Xbox available at launch, I think they're pushing people towards the digital versions. Everyone will be able to go in their preferred option, but I won't be surprised if Sony/MS limit availability of the disc-capable versions in a few years after this self-fulfilling prophecy results in a higher share of the digital-only versions.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The rest of the world does not have the internet infrastructure of the west. Even within the west, it's uneven. Going full digital isn't going to happen until MOST of the purchasing world can support. Sony has global stakes in the game so they're never going to go full digital before then.
I always read this and yet steam and F2P games like LoL have hundreds of millions digital users worldwide.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Is it true that Adam never returned that game he borrowed? They never did a video of how to return a borrowed game to a friend who lives in another country and suddenly he left the company.

... What makes you think the PS5 isn't with child? Bit presumptuous to suggest the swelling is a parasite, and not a wonder of (techno)nature.

Disappointing.
It's not a "wonder of nature." In fact these days it's downright scummy. Here's a photo of the original series X and playstation 5's mother going at it sexually in the assembly process.
220px-Black-Sabbath-Technical-Ecstasy.jpg

That said, I wouldn't be buying a disc-less console. Not for games though, I dont swap or trade-in games, I don't find physical games are better financially (tracked purchases for 6 years) but the reason i would be buying a disc version is only because of cd/dvd/blurays. If I end up with both consoles one might be disc-less

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying the bluray drive version, not because I plan on buying more physical games, but because I have plenty of physical PS4 games. I dont care much for BC, but I do find some value in being able to play my physical PS4 collection whenever I want, also not being limited by only digital is a bonus. In the end it comes down to if you find any value in the more expensive PS5 console, some will, some wont.
Pretty much the same goes for me. At the reveal I was all into the digital edition, but then I remembered I even have games in my physical backlog that I will still not have started when PS5 arrives. So I will get the "regular" edition at least for those (and the odd deal on physical games here and there).

Oct 27, 2017
Really OP? You have an option here. Did you think of that when you write this long ass essay which substantiated nothing. Stop spreading FUD. It's getting ridiculous in this place.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I'll buy the one with the drive so I can play all my ps4 games and use it as a UHD blu Ray player, no way am I going all digital. Plus I lend games to my dad so he can play them. And all the time the prices on PSN are ridiculously high i will stay physical.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, why are people that buy Digital so desperate to end physical for people that like to own a disc? I never see people saying, "eight million physical copies of Animal Crossing sold one Switch, does this spell the end of digital?!"

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
On the left, you have a piece of modern art that ate questionable meat and now needs to see a doctor about a likely tapeworm infestation. It's also going to be more expensive. As a result, most people will probably buy the all-digital version (aka the unofficial official PS5) that cannot buy physical games.

This is a leap of logic you need a 100ft vaulting pole to perform. "Most people" are not going to change their purchasing habits because they want the better looking console, or because they refuse to pay an extra $50 (or whatever it is). The people that do obviously didn't much care about physical in the first place.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Options are good people, there are some that won't need a disc tray so the digital edition is for them. I think for many, including myself, I prefer the flexibility of the regular PS5 even if I mostly buy digital.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
At least Sony gives a choice. Some people just downright want the end of physical and remove that choice and value as though it hurt their family. I hope physical continues for many generations to come unless digital can ever provide the same benefits to physical.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, it's good to have options. I'm all in digital games but I get why people buy physical.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a leap of logic you need a 100ft vaulting pole to perform. "Most people" are not going to change their purchasing habits because they want the better looking console, or because they refuse to pay an extra $50 (or whatever it is). The people that do obviously didn't much care about physical in the first place.
Remember the two SKUs PS3 launched with?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was a thing of the past, why did Sony delay the release of TLOU2? Nobody is ready to give up on physical retail channels.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
"A thing of the past" - despite a substantial number of people that prefer owning their games (or simply have no other choice), and the main PS5 console promoted by Sony across the globe will be the one with the physical drive.

Phsycial media is definitely on its way out.
No it isn't, lol.

If it was a thing of the past, why did Sony delay the release of TLOU2? Nobody is ready to give up on physical retail channels.
Fantastic point.

Physical games need to die out as soon as possible. They keep prices high and making it possible to resell digital games would be better than what we have today.

PC gaming is doing fine without a physical games presence, consoles would live through it as well. Fully expect this to be the last gen with physical games.
I gag at the idea of my console game collection being like Steam, so no.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
That's a huge no. I won't give up my consumer right to the items I buy. I can currently sell and loan as needed. Won't give that up for so called convenience.