• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Some stuff I do here without any effort but the rest of it seems hard as fuck for those used to living a certain lifestyle... Including myself.

Kind of hard to be consistent in doing this where there is a lack of initiative to address these matters by those around you and world leaders.

Planting stuff is pretty satisfying though. Also very therapeutic, highly recommend it.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
1. Already doing it - been great, lost weight, etc due to limiting meat intake to only Weekends and holidays

2. I've been doing this even before people suggested it

3. Not...really a option unfortunately especially since my workplace is 20 miles from my home.

4. Clothes I buy usually cost $20-$30 during sales while original MSRP is like $60 or more. I mainly buy from stores like Macys, JCPenny, etc and only during sales events like July 4th or Black Friday.

5. Already been doing it for years, cut costs to groceries too since I grow a lot of my food

6. Dont know about local but I stay away from process foods

7. Heh...this is one thing that I probably cant stop doing mainly cause we did it once in our new neighborhood and we got a notice from our HOA stating its against the rules....

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) Stop eating (or eat less) meat - wife and I eat fish and tofu, mostly. Trying to improve in this area.
2) Unplug your devices - we have a smart apartment that somehow curbs some of this..?
3) Drive Less - we don't drive much, work from home and both drive EV
4) Don't buy 'fast fashion' - we do not buy fast fashion and stick to quality brands that while more expensive, last longer
5) Plant a garden - we are buying a house in the next year and a yard/garden are part of our plans
6) Eat local (and organic) - Saturday morning tradition is groceries at the farmer's market in the South Bay
7) Line-dry your clothes - we tried to do this on our balcony but the sunlight wasn't enough

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of these seem difficult to do for a portion of people, and "easier said than done". A good majority of these, like the "phantom power" issue, sounds more like a problem for giant businesses, that keep the lights on in even empty/abandoned buildings. I've seen a number of people venturing into abandoned Walmarts or whatever big box store, and somehow the place STILL has power running into it.

"Plant a garden" and "air dry your clothes" can be difficult if you don't have a yard/a lot of living space. "Don't buy cheap clothes" and "buy local/organic" can be tough on people with few wages.

If there is stuff that you ARE able to do, then at least it's something, but sure feels like a drop in the bucket sometimes, comparing to the damage that the corporations as a whole do. A lot of how our society has been set up (low pay, too many roads, etc.) have created so many problems, that it can be VERY difficult to curb on a difficult level, especially for those who have to be tight on money. I mean, the recycling thread was a downer on its own, since recycling can't even be a thing we can really help with, and it's an avoidable part of our lives.

Realistically, I think it comes down to more regulations on the corporate end, voting in people that will actually make change, and won't let them get away with everything and/or be paid off. Easier said than done, but at least some positive changes were made a few decades ago to curb big time pollution that industries were spewing out.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I do most of those, although I can't be bothered to unplug every single thing in my house when I'm not using it and drying clothes outside is painful. Maybe it's more practical in other climates, I dunno, but it takes goddamn forever here and the actual season where we can hang clothes outside is short.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
1. Trying to cut right now so intermittent fasting to look like a snack
2. I work on my computer and I have an iPhone SE (original) so no battery power including the mophie case
3. Not dating so ain't got nowhere to go.
4. Only trying to drop money on 18 East, old Yohji, ALD, and the new Monitaly collection I saw today (omg so good)
5. Got that.
6. In debt so it is pretty pricey but there is a free food drop off down the road.
7. Jeez, maybe just tees for now.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
1. Doing the "eat less"
2. Not doing this. Will look into what I can unplug without messing things up for my kids etc
3. I drive very, very little
4. I buy an embarrisngly small amount of new clothes. Wife is the same
5. We use the space we have to grow food. Not much but something
6. Always
7. Yes, that is what we do.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I don't eat meat.
2. I already do this with the exception of things I use daily (Switch, PC, etc.).
3. We only have one car and my wife was driving exclusively to work and then I'd go to the store every weekend. Because of Covid that's down to every two weeks, tops.
4. This year is the first time I've bought new clothes (two shirts and a pair of shorts) in years.
5. Apartment complex doesn't allow any planters or gardens or I would.
6. This has been difficult to do with Covid, but we've been doing all of our shopping at a small, local grocer / butcher / deli.
7. Apartment complex doesn't allow for line drying, I got a letter for hanging rugs on the balcony railing to dry.

BONUS ROUND:
jhb2zvY.png

Zero Children, and a vasectomy to boot (seriously, look at how much damage having one kid causes to the environment, it's insane.)
Our area isn't conducive to living car free.
I haven't flown anywhere round trip in three years, only flew one-way last year for a weedding and commuted back.
Stuck with a shitty power monopoly, waiting for a wind farm to break ground.
Bought a more efficient vehicle last year, and we keep it maintained and in econ mode.
Couldn't afford electric though.
When covid makes it safe to buy fresh food again we will, we're on non-perishables to cut back on contact.
Can't afford a hybrid.
Except for towels, we always wash our clothes in cold water.
We recycle what our apartment complex will pick up (cardboard and aluminum)
Apartment won't allow line-drying.
All our lightbulbs except the funky ones in the dining room chandelier are LEDs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty skeptical about the meat eating thing as a lifelong carnivore, but it wasn't too hard to be vegetarian on the weekdays, and frankly I feel better in general when playing sports or exercising those days.

I highly encourage those who don't think they can do it to try this and buy more quality meats (your local butcher!) for the weekend

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I'll eat less meat if someone cures type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. Unfortunately meat (and cheese) is like the safest thing I can eat.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamers probably have some of the lowest carbon footprints in the West.

99% have basically no possessions apart from a TV, console and games, never drive or fly anywhere and will wear the same tee for years.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
While I can't and won't be upset about trying to do better on a personal level (and do/try to do most of these already), none of this matters unless large scale, government led action takes place. So, elect leaders that commit to broad change and holding corporations and other nations accountable.

Nov 7, 2017
A lot of these seem difficult to do for a portion of people, and "easier said than done". A good majority of these, like the "phantom power" issue, sounds more like a problem for giant businesses, that keep the lights on in even empty/abandoned buildings. I've seen a number of people venturing into abandoned Walmarts or whatever big box store, and somehow the place STILL has power running into it.

"Plant a garden" and "air dry your clothes" can be difficult if you don't have a yard/a lot of living space. "Don't buy cheap clothes" and "buy local/organic" can be tough on people with few wages.

If there is stuff that you ARE able to do, then at least it's something, but sure feels like a drop in the bucket sometimes, comparing to the damage that the corporations as a whole do. A lot of how our society has been set up (low pay, too many roads, etc.) have created so many problems, that it can be VERY difficult to curb on a difficult level, especially for those who have to be tight on money. I mean, the recycling thread was a downer on its own, since recycling can't even be a thing we can really help with, and it's an avoidable part of our lives.

Realistically, I think it comes down to more regulations on the corporate end, voting in people that will actually make change, and won't let them get away with everything and/or be paid off. Easier said than done, but at least some positive changes were made a few decades ago to curb big time pollution that industries were spewing out.
Yea that's where I'm at right now. It puts the onus on people who probably are even struggling and asking them to "BuY OrGANiK!!1!! StOp EatInG MeaTZ!!!1!!" And shit like that is is a big ask.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I have slowly made a transition to much less meat in our diet and getting almost all of our groceries from local farms and sources. I live an an area of canada that unfortunately still uses coal power for a lot of the electricity source, so the benefit of going to an electric car at this point is not clear but on our next house we're going to go to solar panels and hopefully will get off the grid. Then electrical car is a big upgrade.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is great, but the pressure should be on corporations and the governments. Don't something like 20 companies emit a third of all carbon emissions?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I do literally all of these often enough. But that's only because I'm a cheap-ass through and through.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Here is my list of 7 most effective ways:
1. Vote for a government that will enact climate action
2. Vote for a government that will enact climate action
3. Vote for a government that will enact climate action
4. Vote for a government that will enact climate action
5. Vote for a government that will enact climate action
6. Vote for a government that will enact climate action
7. Vote for a government that will enact climate action

Individual actions are great and all, but the only way we get to the sweeping changes we need is through top-down action.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Yea that's where I'm at right now. It puts the onus on people who probably are even struggling and asking them to "BuY OrGANiK!!1!! StOp EatInG MeaTZ!!!1!!" And shit like that is is a big ask.
I mean, this is great, but the pressure should be on corporations and the governments. Don't something like 20 companies emit a third of all carbon emissions?

We will never slow down Climate Change if the world's richest 1.5 - 2 billion people refuse to adjust their gluttonous consumerist capitalist societies.

Average people must make sacrifices for the betterment of all of humanity. It's not fair to demand Indians and Africans to make major sacrifices so the Americas/Europe/Gulf States/Wealthy Asian nations can continue to live the high roller life.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I do all of those! And quite a bit more, really. I do love things like this, and even if it's only a tiny difference, we've got to try to do what we can that we have control over, while working together to change the things we don't.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, personal carbon footprint is something pushed by oil companies to shift the burden of emissions pollution from them to us.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

There was a commercial that played on tv years ago that REALLY pissed me off. They got a celebrity to endorse their "use less energy" message, and she totally came across as annoyed with annoyance in her tone. "If it's hot, open a window, if it's cold, throw on a sweater!" Depending on where you live, and what your body type is like (my body is awful with regulating extreme temperatures by doing just those things when very cold/very hot...) it's not that easy. Not to mention, having a big time celebrity try and shame you into it, when it's almost a guarantee that she probably has a carbon footprint the size of like, a good number of people, if owning a big house, travelling a lot, etc. That sort of thing bothers me A LOT.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I can't and won't be upset about trying to do better on a personal level (and do/try to do most of these already), none of this matters unless large scale, government led action takes place. So, elect leaders that commit to broad change and holding corporations and other nations accountable.
100% this.
This is not a problem we can solve by individually making better decision in our personal lives.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I do all of those! And quite a bit more, really. I do love things like this, and even if it's only a tiny difference, we've got to try to do what we can that we have control over, while working together to change the things we don't.

This is the correct idea. Because major change is coming and you can either voluntarily do it yourself or have government force it on you.

The glory days of capitalism our coming to an end, and with it reckless mass consumerism.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Already doing 6 out of 7, not much effort really besides the first point. I don't think I can go cold turkey on meat, but I've been eating less meat and consciously eating more veggies and vegan food.

I guess I can try more alternative milks too.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I dont see me ever doing 1, and I dont really have electronics I dont use daily as it is.. so eh.
3, 4, and 5 I already do.
6 sounds expensive, but.. that's healthy eating for ya. lol
7 is just.. no thanks, hate line dried clothes.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, personal carbon footprint is something pushed by oil companies to shift the burden of emissions pollution from them to us.

This is another thing I feel. Not that I feel that it's BAD to do these things, but to think that "if more people did it, things will be better!" Eating less meat is MUCH healthy for people in the long-run, and less demand can help a little, but due to fast foods making meat so cheap, it will not completely eliminate cow farms/farts/burning of the Amazon.

I try and do my part to the extent I can, but I'm well-aware that it's realistically a drop in the bucket, compared to the big picture. It's not even trying to be a downer, but I really don't like how the onus is on US and not THEM, the ones causing the problems that make me wish that Captain Planet WAS a real person :/

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I hate when it rains, means I can't Line Dry. Love my clothes smelling of Sunshine.
I'm from northern germany where it rains like 80% of the time and we used to line dry inside when it was raining. Just open the window so the humidity can get out. Takes longer than sun drying but still works fine.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I already do all of those to a certain extent. It's good to know I'm on the right track though.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, americans don't line-dry?
It's rarer the further up the income ladder you go (except for very environmentally conscious upper middle class types). One of these things was the norm for most middle class American families. Obviously lower class families line dry very often.

1200px-Modern_front_load_tumble_dryer.JPG

I usually expect this kind of content from CNBC or wsj so seeing it from huffpo is a bit of a surprise but I guess that is their readership.

People who couldn't afford household dryers usually went to coin-operated communal ones. I'm not sure if Germany has these but they used to be a common feature of Americana, dying out though.

www.theatlantic.com

The Decline of the American Laundromat

The retreat of a longtime urban staple marks yet another way cities have changed after an influx of higher-earning residents.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculously first world problem, but I can't do line-dry clothes. The smell leaves me feeling squeamish all day long as I feel like I'm wearing dirty clothes.

Maybe I could just do it with my work wear. Truth be told, I knew dryers take a lot of energy, but didn't know it was as much as the article says.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
1) Stop eating (or eat less) meat - I try, but its hard. Most my meals have meat, but its only a small part of the overall meal.
2) Unplug your devices - Already do. I generally don't leave things plugged in.
3) Drive Less - Already do because I'm sad and unemployed. Haven't bought gas in 2 months.
4) Don't buy 'fast fashion' - Don't give a shit about fashion and buy plain clothes from uniqlo
5) Plant a garden - Don't do this nor do I plan to because I won't put in the effort
6) Eat local (and organic) - I sometimes do, depends on what I see at the store.
7) Line-dry your clothes - Don't do this. If I dry clothes outside they'll get dusty. I barely have many clothes to wash anyway.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not to be that person, but stuff like this is ultimately not gonna change anything.

There is nothing an individual can do in terms of just their personal consumption habits to materially change the course of climate change. I can literally cut off my ties to civilization and go live in the forest, living off the land, where my only footprint is an occasional fire, and it will change nothing.

Doesn't mean you go out and be an asshole and take zero moral responsibility, by all means do what you can within reason, when you have to make new purchases like a vehicle, if you can, go electric, get solar panels, avoid natural gas in your home if possible, etc. But the solution HAS to come from the government. There is just no realistic way other than international coalition and self policing to make any sort of feasible dent in terms of the volume and in the timeframe we need as a planet.

Personal responsibility should be more focused on ensuring people don't make unwise long-term financial decisions as climate change increasingly forces government action to mitigate, and you don't want people spending a ton of money on things that may be subject to tax or decommission Etc.

This is really what we should be looking toward:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Pretty much already doing all of it.

Kinda surprised seeing no 7 because everyone here has been doing it their whole life but yeah duh who needs dryers it's a tropical country lol
Oh and that avg american eat 8.5 ounces of meat every day. That's what, a steak per day, everyday and that's just the average? Then what's the upper limit looks like there?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was an eco-friendly way to travel. That's the one I would miss the most by far.
There is, sailing, trains, etc.

There is just no eco-friendly way to fly at hundreds of miles/hr across the sky.

Really hammers home how silly "climate summits" are. "Let's launch a bunch of people screaming through the sky with jet engines so they can talk about how 'uh we should drive less' maybe?"