• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
You can argue to an extent that imprisonment is not a widely successful deterrent either, but the point is that rehab is taking action AFTER the crime has been committed. That's not a deterrent. It's come too late.

Rehabbing a murderer won't bring justice to the murder victim. Dead is dead. Hoping for the murderer not to murder again with rehab is not solving the problem - again, it's too late. They already killed someone. If the goal with rehab is to keep the "body counts" low, then we're COMPLETELY fucked.

We focus too much on what to do AFTER crimes are committed and have missed the whole fucking point of preventing them from happening in the first place. And considering how large the US prison population is, how the hell are people planning on effectively mass-rehabbing everyone in prison for serious crimes? We have no idea who will "recover" and who will go on to kill again. Every individual killer would need to be closely monitored. It's an impossible task. There's not enough agency to handle a task of that magnitude.

Rehab, education, mental help, economic help, and simply respecting other people's lives needs to be the focus BEFORE crimes happen, to prevent them, to deter them through common sense and consciousness. That's where the effort for saving people should be.

But this country sucks because everyone is reactionary instead of proactive.

I think what people are saying though is that you can both work on changing our societies systems to help prevent this from happening in the first place AND change the system to help prevent those who have caused hurt from not doing it again and possibly being productive in preventing others from doing so. It's not an either or thing.

We have the resources for both, we let these rich assholes in power convince us that we don't though as they horde and lobby to make shit harder for others.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Proper rehab? Other countries such as Denmark has already solved this problem. They get to go to proper mental health professionals and get actual genuine therapy by people who actually genuinely care about them, they are taught valuable life skills in prison and given access to tons of government assistance to move forward with their life after they are out.

People here seem to think the American jail system is good or something. Y'all realize it's the least effective prison system in the world yeah? When you're jailing the most people and STILL have worse crime than 81 other countries, it's objectively the least effective system. That's what happens when your prison system is built around punishment & profit and not rehabilitation & assistance.

In countries like Denmark when in prison they help educate the prisoner's with life skills in classes, the prisoners cook their own meals, they're allowed and encouraged to take up hobbies, they're allowed to pick what they want to wear rather than being forced to lose their personal identity with prison garbs, they're allowed to get up and go to sleep with more freedom, they work for personal income on a 37 hour work week so they can have money when they leave prison, they get to go shopping, the prisoners are given privacy with walled toilets and doors the guards knock on before entering.

They're treated like people, allowed to make their own decisions and afforded opportunities outside once they are let go (allowed to get jobs, allowed to get assistance programs, etc) rather than being treated like garbage to make money off of.

I don't think American prison system is good, but what's the alternative in this situation? Leave murders on the street until the politicians decide to change the jail system (which probably will never happen)? That's why I asked

These kids shouldn't be abandoned by the world, they should have the chance to make up for their mistake. But they can't just be allowed to continue with their life with no consequences until then, they killed someone, not robbed a candy store.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Punishment should be the consequence for serious crimes like rape or murder.

Rehab as a consequence for serious crimes is a failed system and an insult to the victims.

I disagree.

Rehabilitation works far better than strictly punitive measures. There are many countries that don't have such a punitive system like the US and are much better off for it.

They're not going to spend their entire lives in prison, so you might as well help them on the road to returning to society.
Giving them no support isn't doing anyone any favours.

Exactly.

Society doesn't get better if they get out of prison and commit more crimes because they aren't rehabilitated in prison.

You can argue to an extent that imprisonment is not a widely successful deterrent either, but the point is that rehab is taking action AFTER the crime has been committed. That's not a deterrent. It's come too late.

Rehabbing a murderer won't bring justice to the murder victim. Dead is dead. Hoping for the murderer not to murder again with rehab is not solving the problem - again, it's too late. They already killed someone. If the goal with rehab is to keep the "body counts" low, then we're COMPLETELY fucked.

We focus too much on what to do AFTER crimes are committed and have missed the whole fucking point of preventing them from happening in the first place. And considering how large the US prison population is, how the hell are people planning on effectively mass-rehabbing everyone in prison for serious crimes? We have no idea who will "recover" and who will go on to kill again. Every individual killer would need to be closely monitored. It's an impossible task. There's not enough agency to handle a task of that magnitude.

Rehab, education, mental help, economic help, and simply respecting other people's lives needs to be the focus BEFORE crimes happen, to prevent them, to deter them through common sense and consciousness. That's where the effort for saving people should be.

But this country sucks because everyone is reactionary instead of proactive.

Rehabilitation isn't meant as a deterrent in that it stops folks from committing crimes because they will be rehabilitated. It's meant to stop them from doing more harm to society.

There is absolutely plenty that needs to be done before folks commit crimes. Folks will still commit crimes and we have to decide what should be done. Should we punish them as America does now with its high recidivism rate or should we rehabilitate folks so that they are far less likely to offend again?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Watching this shit again... the bigger dude with a hoodie and the girl with pink clothes are by far the worst offenders since they are the ones who are attacking (you can see them clearly at 2:50).

There is a smaller kid who is following them while filming, though he seems quite young so maybe he's just following their big "bro/sis" orders (you can even see the pink girl checking his phone before attacking).

I also get the impression the kid with a bag (brown shirt) is trying to stop them, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I hope at least the two "kids" I mentioned suffer serious consequences, especially the one who has a hoodie since he looks like the older.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think American prison system is good, but what's the alternative in this situation? Leave murders on the street until the politicians decide to change the jail system (which probably will never happen)? That's why I asked

These kids shouldn't be abandoned by the world, they should have the chance to make up for their mistake. But they can't just be allowed to continue with their life with no consequences until then.

Again, who is saying this? Nobody whose posts I've read is arguing this in here.

Y'all realize that "rehabilitation" is a consequence, right? If prisons were ideally reformed to be rehabilitative with the goal of making people productive and less harmful members of society, they'd still be prisons.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
This is so sad and sickening. These barely teens need to suffer some consequences for their wanton disregard of human life. Race to the bottom.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
These kids shouldn't be abandoned by the world, they should have the chance to make up for their mistake. But they can't just be allowed to continue with their life with no consequences until then, they killed someone, not robbed a candy store.
Murdering someone isn't a fucking mistake. They decided to have so little disregard for someones life and committed a heinous act. They do deserve to be abandoned by the world. They don't deserve a chance make up for the fact they decided to kill an innocent senior who was minding his own business. Put them in prison and let them live the rest of their days in there.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Again, who is saying this? Nobody whose posts I've read is arguing this in here.

Y'all realize that "rehabilitation" is a consequence, right? If prisons were ideally reformed to be rehabilitative with the goal of making people productive and less harmful members of society, they'd still be prisons.

I agree, that's why I asked what the rehabilitation is for cases like this with teenagers (I genuinely don't know)

Oct 25, 2017
Rehabbing a murderer won't bring justice to the murder victim. Dead is dead.
Prison is not designed to bring "justice" to victims, otherwise convicts would be ordered to make their lives (or the lives of their loved ones) better. In the case of a dead victim, to choose the path that will produce positive benefits to society, turning a kid into a 30-something jobless desperate individual will lead to more pain and suffering. Your personal theories about crime being a stain on the soul aside, you are objectively advocating for more innocents to be harmed by denying these kids a chance at redemption.

Whats more important, a community full of revived individuals that will be normal around innocents or a community of folks that learned being sociopaths will help them survive in or out the cage?

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Who's defending them?

They do actually, but that's besides the point that nobody is defending their actions; they just don't want society to keep brewing even bigger monsters to release back into the world a few decades later while completely failing to address the systemic failures that lead to kids committing such actions.

Who the hell is defending them?

Being able to pay attention to research and other real world justice systems and understand facts and reality =/= defending people. Just means some of us don't fall for US prison complex propaganda and don't let feels override reals.

You can not approve of what these kids did (especially the ones who actually murdered the man) and simultaneously understand the America prison complex is an abject failure of a system that actively harms American society with its intent of recidivism for profit via repeat crime rather than actually helping society improve through rehabilitation and assistance.
yeah, my blood was boiling after watching the video. In cases like this I have the bad habit of reserving all my sympathy for the victim. Especially when they are as defenseless as this old man.
I don't pretend to have the last word here but these kids are lucky people like me don't decide their fate.
Anyways sorry and do what you must.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Prison is not designed to bring "justice" to victims, otherwise convicts would be ordered to make their lives (or the lives of their loved ones) better. In the case of a dead victim, to choose the path that will produce positive benefits to society, turning a kid into a 30-something jobless desperate individual will lead to more pain and suffering. Your personal theories about crime being a stain on the soul aside, you are objectively advocating for more innocents to be harmed by denying these kids a chance at redemption.

Whats more important, a community full of revived individuals that will be normal around innocents or a community of folks that learned being sociopaths will help them survive in or out the cage?

Well, that's where we look at things differently.

I think punishment for crimes IS justice, and incarceration is punishment, as well as a safety measure for the general population.

I don't believe senseless killers and cold blooded murderers should ever be released into the general population. I believe they deserve punishment, via permanent separation from the general public.

The majority of the prison population are not murderers or rapists, and I would certainly prefer the more serious criminals never get out of jail. Murderers and rapists are not the cause of prison overpopulation. They can STAY THERE, forever, as both a punishment for their crimes and to keep the general population safe from them.

Save the rehab for less serious crimes, like drugs or robbery or simple assault etc... those people can be saved because they haven't permanently deprived anyone else of their existence.

Now, if you are suggesting murderers/rapists get rehab to be less violent while IN JAIL, so that they can coexist together while incarcerated, then I'm good with that, assuming they will always be in jail. And I don't give a shit if they're teens or not. The age thing is irrelevant to me when it comes to seriously violent criminals. Rape and murder is unforgivable and those criminals can stay incarcerated forever. I have no problem with that and there's plenty of prison room for them, especially if you focus on rehabbing the less-serious criminals and helping THEM get back into society.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Save the rehab for less serious crimes, like drugs or robbery or simple assault etc... those people can be saved because they haven't permanently deprived anyone else of their existence.

Who determines this? You? Why are you the arbiter of who can and cannot be "saved"?

I've seen several very violent folks who went to jail for terrible crimes become rehabilitated through tons of effort from great folks outside of the prison industrial complex, one of whom is very close to me. I know a ton of folks here don't actually have experience with the prison industrial complex, thankfully, but it's incredibly destructive.

Rehabilitation doesn't work on everyone, but it should be tried with everyone.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Who determines this? You? Why are you the arbiter of who can and cannot be "saved"?

I've seen several very violent folks who went to jail for terrible crimes become rehabilitated through tons of effort from great folks outside of the prison industrial complex, one of whom is very close to me. Rehabilitation doesn't work on everyone, but it should be tried with everyone.

It's just my opinion as part of the discussion. Hence the "I think" and "I believe / I don't believe" prefaces. I try not to state my opinions as fact, but sometimes we all get carried away like that here.

I'm sure there are some success stories. But I question whether the attempts are warranted in the first place for seriously violent criminals.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It's just my opinion as part of the discussion. Hence the "I think" and "I believe / I don't believe" prefaces.

I'm sure there are some success stories. But I question whether the attempts are warranted in the first place for seriously violent criminals.

I know, friend. I'm just wondering why folks are being written off as being unable to be saved based on severity of a crime. I've known folks that commit tons of lesser crimes that were far less likely to be rehabilitated than folks I know who committed more serious crimes.

If they succeed, why wouldn't it be warranted? It doesn't mean it will always work but if It does, it's better for society as a whole.

Last edited:

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
This man was born in 1948. When Martin Luther King gave his "I have a dream speech" speech, he was just about to turn 15. He lived through some dark times in Philadelphia over the decades.

All to be beaten to death by kids with traffic cones in 2022.

It's disgusting.

Born and raised in a era of being given rights and freedoms.

…died in a era where those are being taken away one by one as we speak. Horrifying poetry right there.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's where we look at things differently.

I think punishment for crimes IS justice, and incarceration is punishment, as well as a safety measure for the general population.

I don't believe senseless killers and cold blooded murderers should ever be released into the general population. I believe they deserve punishment, via permanent separation from the general public.

The majority of the prison population are not murderers or rapists, and I would certainly prefer the more serious criminals never get out of jail. Murderers and rapists are not the cause of prison overpopulation. They can STAY THERE, forever, as both a punishment for their crimes and to keep the general population safe from them.

Now, if you are suggesting murderers/rapists get rehab to be less violent while IN JAIL, so that they can coexist together while incarcerated, then I'm good with that, assuming they will always be in jail. And I don't give a shit if they're teens or not. The age thing is irrelevant to me when it comes to seriously violent criminals. Rape and murder is unforgivable and those criminals can stay incarcerated forever. I have no problem with that and there's plenty of prison room for them, especially if you focus on rehabbing the less-serious criminals and helping THEM get back into society.
This line of thought is about as pie-in-the-sky as people clamoring for America to suddenly adopt Norway's system (as nice as that would be...). Prisons really aren't made to house the undesirables forever, and wishing for that isn't going to change anything. Keep in mind its not because of radical leftist actions that prisons can't and won't function this way.

With the reality that many prisoners *will* get out and go back home, again, what do you think is better? Trapping communities in doom spirals, which will hurt innocent people there (see: the incident this thread was made about), or helping people who will have to live beside ex-cons because of economic reasons, familial ties, etc? If you or anyone else on ResetEra actually cares about the well-being of people who happen to be impoverished, like I'd assume a left-leaning forum-goer would be geared to do, one should not be eager to force said people to deal with the blow-back noxious justice has on their communities

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I know, friend. I'm just wondering why folks are being written off as being unable to be saved based on severity of a crime. I've known folks that commit tons of lesser crimes that were far less likely to be rehabilitated than folks I know who commit more serious crimes.

If they succeed, why wouldn't it be warranted? It doesn't mean it will always work but if It does, it's better for society as a whole.

Why do we give them a second chance? Is it for their sake? Or our own humanity/ego's sake?

-It certainly isn't for the victim's sake. They're dead. How is society better off after someone is murdered and we allow the murderer to return to society, under the assumption of rehabilitation?

And how do we know they're actually rehabilitated? What if they only wanted to murder one time and never intended to do it again? A spur of the moment killing or something along those lines. In that case, they've achieved their goal AND returned to their life. Meanwhile, their victim is still dead. Are we betting on them having an epiphany of conscience and feel guilty? Even so, who cares? Again - their victim is dead. It's too late for that shit. A person's life was taken.

It seems like there are too many ulterior motives at work. So, I just back things up to what happened and what happened was that two teens beat an elderly man to death with traffic cones, while other teens were laughing and filming it and following along with the killers, and that's where the debate ends for me.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Holy Shit some ot those kids look young as fuck.

What irritates me is that you just know there parents are seeing this in the news and of course recognize there own child and instead of turning them in are probably buring evidence as we speak. Sure there upset by what there children did but not enough to give the victims family the justice they deserve. Super sad.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Why do we give them a second chance? Is it for their sake? Or our own humanity/ego's sake?

-It certainly isn't for the victim's sake. They're dead. How is society better off after someone is murdered and we allow the murderer to return to society, under the assumption of rehabilitation?

And how do we know they're actually rehabilitated? What if they only wanted to murder one time and never intended to do it again? A spur of the moment killing or something along those lines. In that case, they've achieved their goal AND returned to their life. Meanwhile, their victim is still dead. Are we betting on them having an epiphany of conscience and feel guilty? Even so, who cares? Again - their victim is dead. It's too late for that shit. A person's life was taken.

It seems like there are too many ulterior motives at work. So, I just back things up to what happened and what happened was that two teens beat an elderly man to death with traffic cones, while other teens were laughing and filming it and following along with the killers, and that's where the debate ends for me.

It's for our sake. Their sake isn't divorced from ours. It's better for society as a whole. We get a productive member of society that we didn't have.

You know there are victims that do believe in rehabilitation as well, yes? Not all victims want the folks who harmed them to be permanently harmed. You're assuming that they would. If that's the case, in what your ideal version, why should anyone other than the victims get a say?

I would assume the lack of recidivism would be a good indication that they've been rehabilitated. The goal should be them to become a productive member of society. You can't force folks to feel guilt.

Ulterior motives? What do you mean?

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really don't understand how you can just attack a elderly person like that and live with yourself.

At the risk of offending parents here, I think parents have a lot of culpability - kids are independent people, yes. And sometimes, a kid is wired up so that they're beyond parental influence - yes it happens.

Still, late teens are when kids tend to become truly independent and go through the rebellious stage. Younger kids are still in the imprinting and absorption phase. They mirror the parents and the environment they're raised in. A group of kids this young? They're fucked up but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
At the risk of offending parents here, I think parents have a lot of culpability - kids are independent people, yes. And sometimes, a kid is wired up so that they're beyond parental influence - yes it happens.

Still, late teens are when kids tend to become truly independent and go through the rebellious stage. Younger kids are still in the imprinting and absorption phase. They mirror the parents and the environment they're raised in. A group of kids this young? They're fucked up but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Kids being out by themselves at 2am is vey dangerous to begin with

Last edited:

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
It's for our sake. Their sake isn't divorced from ours. It's better for society as a whole. We get a productive member of society that we didn't have.

You know there are victims that do believe in rehabilitation as well, yes? Not all victims want the folks who harmed them to be permanently harmed. You're assuming that they would. If that's the case, in what your ideal version, why should anyone other than the victims get a say?

I would assume the lack of recidivism would be a good indication that they've been rehabilitated. The goal should be them to become a productive member of society. You can't force folks to feel guilt.

Ulterior motives? What do you mean?
I've read most of this thread. Read the people for and against rehabilitation. I'm just wondering what you think of the Buffalo shooter. For all intents and purposes, he is a teenager. Should he be rehabilitated and put back into society?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Man too much violence in and around Philadelphia this year.

The news is really depressing these days. I feel like you can't go two days without a shooting.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I've read most of this thread. Read the people for and against rehabilitation. I'm just wondering what you think of the Buffalo shooter. For all intents and purposes, he is a teenager. Should he be rehabilitated and put back into society?

With Buffalo there was a significant discussion on the societal ills that got us here: gun control, internet nazi propaganda, Tucker, in addition to the fuck hims, I hope he rots, etc.

Here it was straight filthy animals for the first few pages with at least one poster calling said discussions on the pipeline that got us here as a 'defense force', along with confusion as to what could be done as if it's rocket science.

There's still the idea the white shooter went awry somewhere in the path of life, but the black kids…born bad.

We've discussed how to counter the alt-right pipeline and methods. Is that gonna take place in jail? Most likely not. But even he has a chance for rehab imho.

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I would say that here is where we actually differ. Because I look at this video and I just don't see the signs of a premeditated murder, or the idea that they discussed this at all beforehand.
I'll admit this freely: I think one or more of them talked about jumping someone if they encountered a viable target. I have no basis to state this in reality. And I very well could be wrong. I am biased because, where I live, we have groups of teenagers that roam around and slash tires and break into cars. (Which, I'll quickly say, is behavior that can totally be rehabilitated!) Plus, I also assumed that, in order to get a group of really young kids together at that hour, at least some of them had to talk about a purpose. Maybe they were headed to the local McDonald's and the ringleader just snapped. That's totally possible. I should be quicker to assign what I believe are probabilities to outcomes when I don't know the objective truth.

(... snipping a lot)
If we want solutions, we have to constantly be vigilant about how we engage with the problems. I think a useful change would be to stop looking for reasons to call these kids monsters. Stop looking for reasons to lump these kids into one group, and start treating violence of the sort we see here as a symptom and owning our part in how we've failed these kids. Because if we don't do that, then the prison reform debate won't ever matter, because prison will continue to be the place we're sending inner-city kids by truckload.
Absolutely. I agree with you 100%. Even if (again, this is based in assumption), the ringleader really has a violent streak, or are willing to condone it, that doesn't necessarily go for the rest of the kids. But they still felt, for whatever reason, like going out at 2am with someone like that was a good idea. Maybe it was a one-time thing and the aggressor kid just snapped, or maybe he has a history of kicking puppies. I'm sure we'll find out. Either way, it's product of a lot of terrible things, all of which signify that society has failed them.

I wish I had a better answer for you. I just know how we shouldn't talk about it.

Me too. I wish I had answers. I don't want to be part of the problem, and I appreciate the conversation. I know that my knee-jerk reaction to seeing horrific crimes committed is "the perpetrator doesn't belong in society," and for what it's worth, I reserve that to the level of taking another human life (or pushing policies that will inevitably result in death). But it's important to realize and reinforce that society as a whole would be better off if those occasions were much rarer. I think there will always be violent criminals without a shred of conscience... but we can and should do better for children and young adults who feel they don't (and maybe don't, in fact) have options.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There are a few important differences here. I don't think you can rehabilitate that level of racism and sheer hatred but even if it's possible, I don't think they could ever reasonably be trusted to be a part of society again, there is nowhere they could go where they would even be safe, even with prison being as dangerous as it is at least there they can go to protective custody if they want to get out of the block. There is also a marked age difference here, 12-13 versus 18. The Buffalo shooter also purposefully planned out their act and wanted to cause the most damage they possibly could, it was not some spur of the moment thing.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Priority one needs to be public safety. Period. Sorry. Last thing I want is these clowns on the street beating the shit out of my family next because they put on a really sad face in court and wrote an essay on "Why beating defenseless people for no reason is bad". The ones who physically killed that man should be held to the highest account for their actions.

The rest of em should be held to account for not helping, trying to stop, or calling an ambulance. I wasn't in the mood to watch the video so I assume some amount of kids beat dude while other watched.

As far as rehabilitation? Of course. But that takes time. Time they need to spend away from society. They ain't snatch a purse. Or smoke some refeer. They fucking killed a man for zero reason. That's beyond vicious. Should society try to rehabilitate that? Sure. But their rehabilitation is really up to them if they want it. But true rehabilitation takes place regardless of if they in jail or not. But in the meantime? I'm wouldn't be willing to risk them running into MY family, so why should I be ok with risking them running into someone else's?

Finally, consequences has a role to play in rehabilitation. Can't just say sorry and go home. You out here beating people to death, you need not be on the streets. For as long as it takes to ensure there is zero chance them doing this shit again.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Punishment should be the consequence for serious crimes like rape or murder.

Rehab as a consequence for serious crimes is a failed system and an insult to the victims.
So. You believe that the system that is scientifically proven to create MORE CRIME, MORE MURDER, that system is the one that is good and should be used and the system that is scientifically proven reduces crime by a shit ton, therefore less victims and less murders, is an insult to the victims?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think many don't get why rehabilitation is important, I of course see this news and if this happened to someone I love I'd be furious and I'd honestly want all those kids fucking dead.

But guess what? that's not going to happen, they will go to prison if they are caught and eventually after years they will come out and be free again, and if you don't rehabilitate them they will be older, with no education, no job opportunities, in a society that doesn't care about them... and they will just do more crime.

So this shit is about if you care or not about good outcomes and not just revenge and closing your eyes.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
This is pretty standard for Philly. You hear something violent about the city every day. It is my hometown but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a shit show in most places. Even the once sacred places are no longer safe.

I would preach rehab but if there is no support in place to rehab these kids then it is for naught. First thing in that process would be to turn yourselves in. The longer this goes on the least likely they are going to get a proper chance.
It is an endless cycle for this city. Good people do their best to keep to themselves and stay away from trouble but as you can see trouble can come to you.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Priority one needs to be public safety. Period. Sorry. Last thing I want is these clowns on the street beating the shit out of my family next because they put on a really sad face in court and wrote an essay on "Why beating defenseless people for no reason is bad". The ones who physically killed that man should be held to the highest account for their actions.

The rest of em should be held to account for not helping, trying to stop, or calling an ambulance. I wasn't in the mood to watch the video so I assume some amount of kids beat dude while other watched.

As far as rehabilitation? Of course. But that takes time. Time they need to spend away from society. They ain't snatch a purse. Or smoke some refeer. They fucking killed a man for zero reason. That's beyond vicious. Should society try to rehabilitate that? Sure. But their rehabilitation is really up to them if they want it. But true rehabilitation takes place regardless of if they in jail or not. But in the meantime? I'm wouldn't be willing to risk them running into MY family, so why should I be ok with risking them running into someone else's?

Finally, consequences has a role to play in rehabilitation. Can't just say sorry and go home. You out here beating people to death, you need not be on the streets. For as long as it takes to ensure there is zero chance them doing this shit again.

Rehabilitation is about public safety. I don't think anyone here is arguing that they should be completely free during rehabilitation. Not only that, it's incredibly likely that they don't spend the rest of their lives in prison. In that case, do we want them to be rehabilitated in some way or come out without being rehabilitated in a society that will not given them any opportunities? This will lead them to more crime and be far less safe for society overall.

Rehabilitation takes a lot of time and effort especially for younger folks. Society has to put the time and effort in just as the folks who are being rehabilitated do. It very rarely happens on its own.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Absolutely disgusting...

A lot of them seem pretty fucked up, but only 2 actually hit the guy it looks like, some don't cross the street but watch from a distance and two of them tries to stop the girl from hitting him. I would say "SEVEN" teens assault elderly man might be an exaggeration

The girl that hit him twice and dealt the blow that directly lead to his death, the guy who initiated it with the first hit and the kid recording deserve the worse punishment

2 should get life sentences.

The ones who didn't try to stop them should get a hefty sentence.

The ones who did try to stop them should get several years.

0 sympathy at all for any of them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They're "accessories after the fact" which means they helped the criminals after the crime was committed by not calling 911.
Shouldn't there be like a trial to determine if there were any mitigating factors that would make them not want to call the police? Just thinking about the situation, if one of them who witnessed it called the police, they didn't know there was video out there, the cops could just as easily said "we don't believe you had nothing to do with it, you must have been involved" and put them in a real bad spot. Again they did not know there was video out there that would show them never touching the victim. We also don't know if there were any threats made towards any of them to keep their mouth shut about it. It's also just hard in general for a kid to get to the point they are essentially calling the police on themselves especially considering the bystander effect, they could have thought someone else would do it, maybe another kid even said they were going to do it and never did.

Try to put yourself in their shoes, you are walking down the street and a kid you maybe don't know super well, or maybe you have been friends with for a long time just goes off on a stranger like what happened here, you want no part of it so you do not get involved. It feels like kind of a hard ask to tell that kid what they should have done in an extraordinary situation they didn't want to be a part of from the jump, putting jail time behind that doesn't seem necessary when they are going to have to go through a trial and this is going to have a major impact on their lives as it is

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
"This 11 year old didn't risk their life against multiple murderous aggressors. Throw them in prison."

Fox News propaganda really fucking works, huh?

I_love_potatoes

Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Shouldn't there be like a trial to determine if there were any mitigating factors that would make them not want to call the police? Just thinking about the situation, if one of them who witnessed it called the police, they didn't know there was video out there, the cops could just as easily said "we don't believe you had nothing to do with it, you must have been involved" and put them in a real bad spot. Again they did not know there was video out there that would show them never touching the victim. We also don't know if there were any threats made towards any of them to keep their mouth shut about it. It's also just hard in general for a kid to get to the point they are essentially calling the police on themselves especially considering the bystander effect, they could have thought someone else would do it, maybe another kid even said they were going to do it and never did.

Try to put yourself in their shoes, you are walking down the street and a kid you maybe don't know super well, or maybe you have been friends with for a long time just goes off on a stranger like what happened here, you want no part of it so you do not get involved. It feels like kind of a hard ask to tell that kid what they should have done in an extraordinary situation they didn't want to be a part of from the jump, putting jail time behind that doesn't seem necessary when they are going to have to go through a trial and this is going to have a major impact on their lives as it is

That's where cooperation with police comes in. I saw so and so do this to this man, it wasn't an accident and they wanted to do it. They then get probation or possibly nothing depending on what the judge wants to do.

Also, they could've called AFTER. Not even at that specific moment. "I just saw my friends assault this man, this is who they are. I didn't want to call at the time because I was scared if they would hurt me.".

Also, you mentioned threats, however you can't prove threats unless you have evidence for it. Imagine you saw your friend assault someone and you tell the police you were threatened to not say anything, do you have any evidence to back that threat up? At that point it becomes hearsay.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That's where cooperation with police comes in. I saw so and so do this to this man, it wasn't an accident and they wanted to do it. They then get probation or possibly nothing depending on what the judge wants to do.
Can you think of any reason these teens might be hesitant to involve themselves with or cooperate with the police or take anything the police say at face value?

Oct 25, 2017

Also, they could've called AFTER. Not even at that specific moment. "I just saw my friends assault this man, this is who they are. I didn't want to call at the time because I was scared if they would hurt me.".

Also, you mentioned threats, however you can't prove threats unless you have evidence for it. Imagine you saw your friend assault someone and you tell the police you were threatened to not say anything, do you have any evidence to back that threat up? At that point it becomes hearsay.

Everything I've ever heard is that you should do this through a lawyer. Isn't the first rule that the cops will use anything you say against you? It is the weekend, maybe they don't have a lawyer on retainer and will come forward once they find one during the work week.

I_love_potatoes

Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Can you think of any reason these teens might be hesitant to involve themselves with or cooperate with the police or take anything the police say at face value?

Well then you'll have people complain when the police finds them, they'll say "Well, they're only kids and never did anything, they were scared, why should they get punished." when they could've come forward and possibly received a lighter sentence. Eventually they will get caught and you'll hear the parents say "they did nothing, why are you treating them like criminals".

They can tell their parents and go to the police together and cooperate.

You posts implies "Why should they trust the police?". Then I hope you don't complain if they're caught and given hefty sentences for "not cooperating".

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Everything I've ever heard is that you should do this through a lawyer. Isn't the first rule that the cops will use anything you say against you? It is the weekend, maybe they don't have a lawyer on retainer and will come forward once they find one during the work week.

Think those kids parents, even if they had the foresight to do so, can afford a lawyer? Cops gonna grab em, throw em in a room, arguably rightfully terrorize and lie to then "Your parents might get arrested and get charged with the death penalty", a public defender is gonna work backwards just for a mediocre deal since there's too much pressure to for philly to look like its doing nothing and parade this around like cops are doing their job (like hitting a clearance rate for a high profile case like this involving kids was actual real police work).

Im not even being snarky, but are we talking about an alternate universe America here? Where's this neat place where presumably poor parents have lawyers they call up, cops don't extra leverage the power they have because this is a case that needs to get closed asap, etc.

I know the narrative is that murderers are playing PS5's at home two hours after getting arrested, but these kids are fucked until they are 30.

I am astonished at how niave the posters are here. Wait till I tell you what happens in NYC juvie; friend of mine worked in that system and his main job as a therapist for the kids was instead working with the correction officers to not abuse and rape the juvenile offenders on some damage mitigation (they shut down one facility for abuse, sent the old guards to the newer one). Like not saying these kids don't deserve punishment, but lets be honest with ourselves on how the system works in reality, not on law and order.

I_love_potatoes

Banned
Jul 6, 2020

The thing is, the moment they're caught, any cooperation will probably be thrown out of the window.

They were caught on CCTV.

If someone witnessed the crime and there was no CCTV and then they got caught they could argue "I didn't do it, are you 100% it was me? It was at this time, are you certain you saw me?" Then they would probably offer deals to some of them to confess who did it and blah blah.

But since they already have the crime on CCTV, the moment they're caught, the cooperation is gone as they have them on CCTV so one of them saying "I'll tell you who did it" would become useless.

At this point, the person who comes to the police first and cooperates will get the best deal while the others will have 0 chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Think those kids parents, even if they had the foresight to do so, can afford a lawyer? Cops gonna grab em, throw em in a room, arguably rightfully terrorize and lie to then "Your parents might get arrested and get charged with the death penalty", a public defender is gonna work backwards just for a mediocre deal since there's too much pressure to for philly to look like its doing nothing and parade this around like cops are doing their job (like hitting a clearance rate for a high profile case like this involving kids was actual real police work).

Im not even being snarky, but are we talking about an alternate universe America here? Where's this neat place where presumably poor parents have lawyers they call up, cops don't extra leverage the power they have because this is a case that needs to get closed asap, etc.

I know the narrative is that murderers are playing PS5's at home two hours after getting arrested, but these kids are fucked until they are 30.

I am astonished at how niave the posters are here. Wait till I tell you what happens in NYC juvie; friend of mine worked in that system and his main job as a therapist for the kids was instead working with the correction officers to not abuse and rape the juvenile offenders on some damage mitigation (they shut down one facility for abuse, sent the old guards to the newer one). Like not saying these kids don't deserve punishment, but lets be honest with ourselves on how the system works in reality, not on law and order.

Oh, absolutely. That's why I said "maybe" they'll come forward with a lawyer, since that's probably their only hope of not being completely fucked for the rest of their lives. Until they can figure out how to do that, I sympathize with them not just going to the police and turning themselves in. Especially the kids that didn't look like they knew what was happening, or what to do.