• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
They all appear to be laughing, even the ones not actively murdering the man. No leniency should be given to anyone who could laugh their way through that.
QvPC3yA.png

I would challenge you to find the kids I highlighted who tried to stop the attack laughing or even smiling once

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Any of those kids who put hands on that old man can fuckin rot. Waste of space.

I'd be heartbroken and full of rage both if I was the family.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
You would hope that there is still a chance some of these kids can be salvaged and become decent adults but it is pretty hard to have faith in that when you see such disregard for other people and the revelry in being brutal little shitbags.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
My heart breaks for this old dued and his family. I can envision a scenario where these kids were doing something they shouldn't have been and this guy spoke up to throw some wisdom their way and then they attacked...

The footage is really high quality and I have little doubt they will be identified.

Oct 27, 2017
It takes a severe level of disconnect to do something like this to another human being and smile about it. That's just barbaric.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Philly is a complete mess lately.

Mayor Kenny recently said he is looking forward to not being mayor anymore because of all the violence.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
QvPC3yA.png

From what I've seen I would argue these two should probably get zero, it would have taken some movie like bravery to call the cops on your friends that severely outnumber you especially from kids, one who looks barely 11
Seriously? Even if that's accurate, what's to stop them from calling the police or telling their parents when they get home?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
How does your sense of decency get so twisted that you could do something like this?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
$20k and they recorded it so you know they showed someone who would snitch them out for that money

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think some of the kids should get lighter sentences. They should have immediately called the police on those murderers. Had they called the police on the kids who attacked him, then I doubt they would've gotten in trouble.
The ones who stood around will get lighter sentences than the ones who physically beat him but either way they're looking at some serious time unless they snitch on each other, which they just might

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
It's insane how sick some people are. Is attacking an elderly person who can't fight back fun? They're all old enough to know wrong from right. Just sad thinking this is how that man left the world. I hope his friends and family have enough support.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
How does your sense of decency get so twisted that you could do something like this?
A life of inner city living, watching folks that look like you get killed in the street (and on television/internet, by authority figures no less) being told by society that you're more or less worthless. Government has failed them. Community has failed them. Schools have failed them. And that's not even taking into account what thier home lives are like since we don't know. At some level can you blame these young minds for not giving a fuck?

OP
OP
mbpm

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
A life of inner city living, watching folks that look like you get killed in the street (and on television/internet, by authority figures no less) being told by society that you're more or less worthless. Government has failed them. Community has failed them. Schools have failed them. And that's not even taking into account what thier home lives are like since we don't know. At some level can you blame these young minds for not giving a fuck?
They do say children are our future.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020

I get what you are saying, but you cannot make excuses for this shit. I'm sorry they didn't give a fuck about their lives, but their lives as humans with freedoms need to end now. As a citizen of Philly, examples need to be made because it just keeps getting worse on the streets here.

May 14, 2021
Considering the vast majority of people you described don't end up murdering defenseless 72 year old elderly individuals, yes I can blame them. There's no legitimate excuse for what we witnessed in that video.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017

Thats a lot of excuses for some kids that just murdered an elderly man

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You gathered all of this about their life from this video?

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017

It's really all on their parents.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We can realize that they may deal with shit that they shouldn't have to, and that there are major systemic issues that contribute to a feeling of hopelessness, but yes we can absolutely still blame these little bastards.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
Considering the vast majority of people you described don't end up murdering defenseless 72 year old elderly individuals, yes I can blame them. There's no legitimate excuse for what we witnessed in that video.
I'm not advocating for leniency here, they'll get the book thrown at them regardless once caught. But there were 200 killings in Philadelphia ytd, much of it from the areas I described. Victims/perps young and old. It's not a one off event we're talking here. Hopelessness breeds violence.

Anyway, my reply was more in response to the specific post I quoted re: 'how could someone do this?'

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I thought we stopped posting shock stories where the only response was 'oh that's horrible'

Jun 17, 2019
Hopelessness might breed violence, but violence breeds revenge and the desire to avenge. If I were them I would rather the cops got me over who potentially could.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
This is horrible . Needless loss of life and ruined lives.

All true. Just surrounded by death, decay, and hoplessness. Growing up in an inner city depressed the hell out of me.

May 24, 2019
By "a young girl", did they mean like a bystander or someone part of the group of 7 here?
One of the group.
gnaJf5H.jpg

She covers her mouth when another girl throws the cone at the victim, runs after her when she's about to attack him again (seemingly trying to stop the other girl from doing it) and covers her mouth again when he presumably collapses off screen.

I'm definitely hoping for rehabilitation with kids this young, and I mean all of them. No child deserves to be locked away forever without the opportunity to mature into a decent person.

edit: Of course nobody deserves to die to a bunch of kids out for a thrill or a few likes either, but that's a much larger issue to tackle.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
User Banned (3 Months): Racist dogwhistling, previous ban for racist stereotyping
I find it difficult to believe that anyone, even this young, that is capable of doing something like this could be rehabilitated.

I think I remember a similar kind of case recently here in the UK where an elderly man was beaten/left for dead in the street. It's just inconceivable, I cannot even begin to get in to the headspace of these animals.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Am I wrong in thinking the parents of these kids also need to be prosecuted?

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Reading and seeing this made me freeze in front of my computer sitting in shock and slightly trembling unable to understand how this is even possible. How can people have so little regard for someone's life. This is pure evil.

This world currently hurts me so much. Can't even hold back my tears

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
RIP this poor old man, nobody deserves this...
And man they're so young... I doubt they wanted to kill but they escalated their disgutsting games too far... Obviously they need to be tried as kids and get help while it's still possible... Not that shitty "throw them in jail for life, no redemption possible, i was a nice kid so other kids deserve the worst for their mistake" I see everywhere including here
(but good luck accomplishing anything like that with the fucked up US justice system, chances are they will get worse from here once they get through it)

Seriously? Even if that's accurate, what's to stop them from calling the police or telling their parents when they get home?

they're kids, they're black, they're probably affraid of what the consequences will be if cops get involved, since they were there even if they didn't want to participate... It wasnt' that extreme but when i was a kid i always hid my fuck ups, hoping nobody would find out cause i was affraid of consequences and other dumb shit

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine you make it to 72 years old just to get killed by a bunch of stupid fucking kids. The world isn't fair, I don't even know what to say. RIP.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There's not giving a fuck and then there's chasing after an elderly man and beating him to death with a traffic cone while laughing about it with your friends. You're not wrong that many systems have likely failed them, but that doesn't work to absolve them of blame when it comes to murdering innocent people going about their day.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Point of Reference
This man was born in 1948. When Martin Luther King gave his "I have a dream speech" speech, he was just about to turn 15. He lived through some dark times in Philadelphia over the decades.

All to be beaten to death by kids with traffic cones in 2022.

It's disgusting.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely hoping for rehabilitation with kids this young, and I mean all of them. No child deserves to be locked away forever without the opportunity to mature into a decent person.

No, fuck that. The attackers in this video have forever given up their opportunity to be "decent people" when they took this man's life. Some kids are absolutely beyond redemption.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
No, fuck that. The attackers in this video have forever given up their opportunity to be "decent people" when they took this man's life. Some kids are absolutely beyond redemption.

kids are the people with the most chance at changing and having an actual redemption... we have many proof of that in this forum right here!

Obviously they should still face consequences (juvenile court and other stuff) , but not as adult in a fucked up justice system what just make them worse over time

When it comes to justice, jail and so on, this place is really not progressive... and it's even worse here since we're talking about freaking children

And no, saying all that doesn't mean we don't care about the victims, these are not mutually exclusive

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I understand being lenient with some of the kids that didn't actively participate on the murder if they collaborate now with the prosecution, but some of them need to be locked up forever

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Philly is a complete mess lately.

Mayor Kenny recently said he is looking forward to not being mayor anymore because of all the violence.

Yeah, and he got dragged for saying this, and rightfully so. Nobody wants to hear their Mayor say, "I give up." For a multitude of reasons.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Some people are absolutely beyond redemption. I've got zero sympathy for these kids, and any active participants need to be locked up for a very long time. Remove them from society. This isn't a youthful indiscretion. Someone who plans to kill a poor old man, laughs about it, actually beats and kills the man, all while filming the entire thing has something seriously wrong with them. They're broken and dangerous, and they don't deserve any benefit of the doubt.