• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where did Sega make their best games in the 6th gen?

• Dreamcast

Votes: 176 62.4%
  • PS2/GC/Xbox

Votes: 106 37.6%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
SI_GCN_FZeroGX_image1600w.jpg

You know in your heart that this is a Sega game more than it is a Nintendo game.

Sega were on fire in the 6th gen! And they didn't even let the ashes touch the ground before rising like a phoenix and being an essential part of the other 6th gen consoles' libraries. It didn't really hit me at the time but Sega were hella prolific after the Dreamcast. I think I prefer the games they made for the other consoles: F-Zero definitely weighs heavy on the scales lmao.

So here we go, best Sega games on the Dreamcast:

Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue 1 and 2
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Jet Set Radio
Phantasy Star Online
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Samba De Amigo
Chu Chu Rocket
House of the Dead 2
Virtua Tennis 1 and 2
Dynamite Cop
Outtrigger
Cyber Troopers Virtual on Oratorio Tangram
Daytona USA 2001
Sega Rally 2
Space Channel 5 (and Part 2)
Headhunter

Best Sega games on the other consoles:

Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Crazy Taxi 3
Gun Valkyrie
House of the Dead 3
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
F Zero GX
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast
Shinobi
Vampire Night
Initial D Special Stage
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
(best game on this list after F Zero)
Sega Rally 2006
Yakuza 1 and 2
Spartan Total Warrior
Blood Will Tell
Cyber Troopers Virtual on Marz
Sega Soccer Slam

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Their best game was on the gamecube (F-Zero GX, perhaps the game of the generation imo), but other than that in general the DC selection was better, so I voted DC.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
For me, simply Dreamcast because of Shenmue 2. I see that as eastily the best of the Shenmue games and it felt Ocarina of Time quality to me. An excellent sweeping adventure (without the dodgy english dub in the xbox one)

That and Skies of Arcadia were epics.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
The catch with the Dreamcast to me is that the games I care about on the thing are playable elsewhere, and often in better ways.

For example: Sonic Adventure's PC port is well-renowned as terrible, but with mods you can basically restore it to the Dreamcast version, but with the DX benefits of 60fps, unskippable cutscenes, a less bad Chao Garden and so forth. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the Gamecube was just better, too. JSR's PC port has actual camera control, which I can't go back to not having now.

In a sense I suppose counting ports like that is cheating, but I didn't play the likes of SA2 until the GameCube, so alas.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
As someone that owned and played the Dreamcast at launch and through it's short, short lifespan I just want to say this fetish yall got for it is getting to be a bit much. I played PSO on dial up, I loved the system, but shit.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
For me, simply Dreamcast because of Shenmue 2. I see that as eastily the best of the Shenmue games and it felt Ocarina of Time quality to me. An excellent sweeping adventure (without the dodgy english dub in the xbox one)

Fully agree with the sentiment. That was the only game after OoT that blew me away for a long while.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I almost want to give it to the DC because of PSO, SoA, and HotD2 all being all time classics, but I can't really justify it when FZero GX and VF4E represent some of their respective genres peaks, Yakuza 1 & 2 represent the birth of one of Sega's genuinely best modern franchises (and are great games themselves), Blood Will Tell is an incredible interpretation of an all time classic manga, Crazy Taxi 3 and JSRF are both meaningful followups to said classic DC titles, Monkey Ball is just pure fun, and then everything else. Also, while PSO is definitely iconic and groundbreaking for the Dreamcast, I can't deny that the experience was even better on the GC.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Panzer Dragoon Orta, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution and Outrun 2/2006 over everything they put out on the DC so that wins out for me much as I love some of the games on that list also.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
In defense of DC:

Dreamcast
  • Blue Stinger
  • Bomberman Online
  • Chu-Chu Rocket!
  • Crazy Taxi 2
  • D2
  • Daytona USA 2001
  • Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
  • Floigan Bros.
  • Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2
  • Headhunter
  • Hundred Swords
  • Illbleed
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Maken X
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Napple Tale: Arisa in Daydream
  • NBA 2K / 2K1 / 2K2
  • NCAA College Football 2K2
  • NFL 2K / 2K1 / 2K2
  • NHL 2K / 2K2
  • Ooga Booga
  • Phantasy Star Online / Version 2
  • Rent-a-Hero No. 1
  • REZ
  • Roommania #203
  • Sakura Taisen 3: Hometown Paris is Burning
  • Sakura Taisen 4: Fall in Love, Maidens
  • Seaman
  • Sega GT
  • SGGG: SeGa GaGa
  • Shenmue
  • Shenmue II
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Shuffle
  • Space Channel 5
  • Space Channel 5 Part 2
  • Time Stalkers
  • Toy Commander
  • Toy Racer
  • World Series Baseball 2K1 / 2K2
Naomi
  • 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
  • Alien Front Online
  • Confidential Mission
  • Cosmic Smash
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Dynamite Dekka EX: Asian Dynamite
  • F-355 Challenge / Rosso Corsa
  • Giant Gram: All Japan Pro Wrestling 2
  • Giant Gram 2000: All Japan Pro Wrestling 3
  • Jambo Safari!
  • Monkey Ball
  • OutTrigger
  • Puyo Puyo Fever
  • Samba de Amigo / Ver. 2000
  • Sega Bass Fishing 2
  • Sega Marine Fishing
  • Sega Strike Fighter
  • SlashOut
  • Spikers Battle
  • The House of the Dead 2
  • The Typing of the Dead
  • Toy Fighter
  • Virtua Athlete
  • Virtua Tennis
  • Virtua Tennis 2
  • Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram MSBS Ver. 5.4
  • Zombie Revenge
Hikaru
  • Brave Fire Fighters
  • NASCAR Racing
  • Planet Harriers
  • Star Wars: Pod Racing Arcade
  • Virtual On: Force
Naomi 2
  • Beach Spikers
  • Initial D: Arcade Stage
  • Initial D: Arcade Stage 2
  • Initial D: Arcade Stage 3
  • The King of Route 66
  • Virtua Fighter 4 / Evolution / Final Tuned
  • Virtua Striker 3
  • Wild Riders

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
In defense of DC:

Dreamcast
  • Blue Stinger
  • Bomberman Online
  • Chu-Chu Rocket!
  • Crazy Taxi 2
  • D2
  • Daytona USA 2001
  • Floigan Bros.
  • Headhunter
  • Hundred Swords
  • Illbleed
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Maken X
  • NBA 2K / 2K1 / 2K2
  • NFL 2K / 2K1 / 2K2
  • NHL 2K / 2K2
  • Ooga Booga
  • Rent-a-Hero No. 1
  • REZ
  • Roommania #203
  • Seaman
  • Sega GT
  • Shenmue
  • Shenmue II
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Shuffle
  • Space Channel 5
  • Space Channel 5 Part 2
  • Time Stalkers
  • Toy Commander
  • Toy Racer
Naomi
  • 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
  • Alien Front Online
  • Confidential Mission
  • Cosmic Smash
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Dynamite Dekka EX: Asian Dynamite
  • F-355 Challenge / Rosso Corsa
  • Giant Gram: All Japan Pro Wrestling 2
  • Giant Gram 2000: All Japan Pro Wrestling 3
  • Jambo Safari!
  • Monkey Ball
  • OutTrigger
  • Puyo Puyo Fever
  • Samba de Amigo / Ver. 2000
  • Sega Bass Fishing 2
  • Sega Marine Fishing
  • Sega Strike Fighter
  • SlashOut
  • Spikers Battle
  • The House of the Dead 2
  • The Typing of the Dead
  • Toy Fighter
  • Virtua Athlete
  • Virtua Tennis
  • Virtua Tennis 2
  • Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram MSBS Ver. 5.4
  • Zombie Revenge
Hikaru
  • Brave Fire Fighters
  • NASCAR Racing
  • Planet Harriers
  • Star Wars: Pod Racing Arcade
  • Virtual On: Force
Naomi 2
  • Beach Spikers
  • Initial D: Arcade Stage
  • Initial D: Arcade Stage 2
  • Initial D: Arcade Stage 3
  • The King of Route 66
  • Virtua Fighter 4 / Evolution / Final Tuned
  • Virtua Striker 3
  • Wild Riders

In defense of non-Dreamcast

FZero GX.

I think non-Dreamcast still wins. Including Naomi etc games is no fair! And I wasn't sure if Metropolis Street Racer and Rez were Sega developed.

Edit: and I forgot Chu Chu Rocket. For shame!

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
On the Dreamcast. Also, if we count the games that were started on Dreamcast and moved to other systems that makes it even more in the Dreamcast's favor.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
On the Dreamcast. Also, if we count the games that were started on Dreamcast and moved to other systems that makes it even more in the Dreamcast's favor.
We're not counting the games that got ported over from Dreamcast, so it's only fair we don't count the games that started as Dreamcast games in Dreamcast's favour.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hey OP, House of the Dead 1 wasn't a Dreamcast game! I wish it was, because God knows that game needs a good home version, but it isn't.

Apr 21, 2018

FZero GX.

I think non-Dreamcast still wins. Including Naomi etc games is no fair! And I wasn't sure if Metropolis Street Racer and Rez were Sega developed.

MSR is Bizzare Creation and REZ has been released after march 2001 on DC and PS2, the same day.

Indeed, I agree. I don't see the point of adding Naomi 2 games, even some naomi games were released after the PS3 launch like Dynamite Deka Asian Dynamite...

And why listing questionable outsourced games like Blue Stinger (Climax Graphics), Illbleed, Time Stalker (Climax)...

Without being bad, they are not exactly iconic or great.

What next ? Are we gonna list all crappy Sega games from Dreamcast, PS2, GC, Xbox ?

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
We're not counting the games that got ported over from Dreamcast, so it's only fair we don't count the games that started as Dreamcast games in Dreamcast's favour.
Fair enough, still Dreamcast. Some games felt like watered down versions of what they could have been had they needed to push a system. Certain games came out of that first 3rd party era that, while different still had some Sega charm, Yakuza for instance, not enough to topple DC era though.

Apr 21, 2018
In defense of DC:

Dreamcast
  • Blue Stinger
  • Bomberman Online
  • Chu-Chu Rocket!
  • Crazy Taxi 2
  • D2
  • Daytona USA 2001
  • Floigan Bros.
  • Headhunter
  • Hundred Swords
  • Illbleed
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Maken X
  • NBA 2K / 2K1 / 2K2
  • NFL 2K / 2K1 / 2K2
  • NHL 2K / 2K2
  • Ooga Booga
  • Rent-a-Hero No. 1
  • REZ
  • Roommania #203
  • Seaman
  • Sega GT
  • Shenmue
  • Shenmue II
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Shuffle
  • Space Channel 5
  • Space Channel 5 Part 2
  • Time Stalkers
  • Toy Commander
  • Toy Racer
Dreamcast was awesome but you're boosting the list with tons of weird or debatable choices : Hudson games, Bizzarre, Climax, Warp, Vivarium et cetera et cetera et cetera.

You even put Atlus games... (They published the game in Japan, Sega just had a distribution deal for the west)

Let's just focus on Sega of Japan (Sega didn't create Visual Concept, I mean they were doing Sport Games before the Acquisition) and very good games. There are too many published or average games out there to make consistent lists... Sonic Shuffle, really ?

Last edited:

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
Both are almost equally amazing times for the company.. a peak SEGA.
a peak that no other company was able to achieve since I would say.
The period between 1998-2003 was batshit insane for the company.
Also important to note that most of the amazing games post-dreamcast era (specifically 1st two years) were games planned for the dreamcast originally.

I would go for the dreamcast if just for Shenmue 1&2 and Skies of Arcadia alone.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Both are almost equally amazing times for the company.. a peak SEGA.
a peak that no other company was able to achieve since I would say.
The period between 1998-2003 was batshit insane for the company.
Also important to note that most of the amazing games post-dreamcast era (specifically 1st two years) were games planned for the dreamcast originally.

I would go for the dreamcast if just for Shenmue 1&2 and Skies of Arcadia alone.

Yes the only comparison I could make is maybe 90's Square.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
SI_GCN_FZeroGX_image1600w.jpg

You know in your heart that this is a Sega game more than it is a Nintendo game.

Sega were on fire in the 6th gen! And they didn't even let the ashes touch the ground before rising like a phoenix and being an essential part of the other 6th gen consoles' libraries. It didn't really hit me at the time but Sega were hella prolific after the Dreamcast. I think I prefer the games they made for the other consoles: F-Zero definitely weighs heavy on the scales lmao.

So here we go, best Sega games on the Dreamcast:

Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue 1 and 2
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Jet Set Radio
Phantasy Star Online
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Samba De Amigo
Chu Chu Rocket
House of the Dead 2
Virtua Tennis 1 and 2
Dynamite Cop
Outtrigger
Cyber Troopers Virtual on Oratorio Tangram
Daytona USA 2001
Sega Rally 2
Space Channel 5 (and Part 2)

Best Sega games on the other consoles:

Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Crazy Taxi 3
House of the Dead 3
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
F Zero GX
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast
Shinobi
Vampire Night
Initial D Special Stage
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
(best game on this list after F Zero)
Sega Rally 2006
Yakuza 1 and 2
Spartan Total Warrior
Blood Will Tell
Cyber Troopers Virtual on Marz
The Rumble Fish
Sega Soccer Slam

You include Sakura Wars 5 but you fail to mention Sakura Wars 3 and 4 on the Dreamcast (which are both definitely better than 5). Hell, the PS2 remake of the first game is better than 5. Also The Rumble Fish was not made by Sega and was only inherited via the Sammy merger. And almost a decade now, it's no longer a Sega IP. As Sega has long ago sold the IP and games back to their developer, Dimps. And if you're going to mention TRF, you should be talking about Rumble Fish 2 because the first game had way too many flaws to be considered a gem whereas the sequel is fantastic. With your logic you should just include the Guilty Gear X series a Sega IP because Sega also owned it during that time via the Sammy merger. Like Rumble Fish, Sega sold it back to the developer.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You include Sakura Wars 5 but you fail to mention Sakura Wars 3 and 4 on the Dreamcast (which are both definitely better than 5). Hell, the PS2 remake of the first game is better than 5. Also The Rumble Fish was not made by Sega and was only inherited via the Sammy merger. And almost a decade now, it's no longer a Sega IP. As Sega has long ago sold the IP and games back to their developer, Dimps. And if you're going to mention TRF, you should be talking about Rumble Fish 2 because the first game had way too many flaws to be considered a gem whereas the sequel is fantastic. With your logic you should just include the Guilty Gear X series a Sega IP because Sega also owned it during that time via the Sammy merger. Like Rumble Fish, Sega sold it back to the developer.

To be fair, 5 was the only one to come out in English.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I came in expected to say 'Dreamcast, obviously' but this is actually a lot closer than I expected it to be. Could go either way honestly.

A tie. Also, you're missing Billy Hatcher off of that third party list.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
In what world did Sega produce better games on Dreamcast, then the other consoles? Which alternate universe do I need to visit?

Also OP...Vampire Night was Namco.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
In the simplest terms, the existence of VF4 Evo, PD Orta and F Zero GX means the non DC offerings were better. And I love the DC library.

Jul 25, 2020
I think it's a difficult question to answer in a sense. Not being the arbiters of their own fate really helped SEGA to broaden their horizons and make games with a little more freedom baring in mind that they weren't mainly responsible for the success of their console and company as well as not working within set parameters from SEGA.

I'm not going to lie, Shenmue is a great game but I didn't own it until I had a PlayStation 3, not long before PlayStation 4 came out. What I did have on DreamCast was various Resident Evil games, Shadow Man, Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Tony Hawk, Toy Story, Nightmare Creatures 2, Psychic Force 2, Rayman, Jet Set Radio, Quake, Unreal Tournament and maybe a couple more.

The degradation in the relationships between SEGA and retailers and publishers did not help the DreamCast, at all. Capcom were a fantastic effort at helping keep the DreamCast alive but things like EA stopping supporting SEGA was a big problem. I don't think SquareSoft supported the console either. I mean the lack of a second analog stick and the limited GD-ROM space compared to what the PS2 and XBOX would inevitably end up using meant games couldn't necessarily be as big as other consoles or had to control very differently. I think even the mini CD's the GameCube used offered more storage than the GD-ROM.

SEGA were so ahead in certain fields knowing that online multi-player and the internet was going to be huge one day but the strength of porting arcade titles in better quality was one that SEGA was about to lose because arcades were dying. SEGA was having to make games of it's own and rely on it's first party in different ways and I just think they struggled to do that. There wasn't enough there from SEGA alone to sell it alone, even though you could arguably say the same for the beginning years of the PS2 but the third party support was huge and made all the difference.

Ultimate I think SEGA made better games when they were released from the shackles of their own hardware. But you can't help and think what could have been if SEGA had taken different routes. What they did with the DreamCast from design to retail was night and day compared to previous efforts, it was more like what Sony did to turn around the PS3 and they did seem to be the road to recovery but sadly the PS2 killed it dead. Had SEGA met the initial demand when they had stock shortages maybe things would have been different but in terms of the games they made? I don't feel like it was on the DreamCast sorry.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
VF4 Evo is also a port, from DC based arcade hardware.

FZero GX.

Oh, I just went Sega produced, I didn't know it was only developed. There are several non-Sega developed games in the OP (Rumble Fish, Soccer Slam, Spartan TW, also Outrun 2006 technically).

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
In a world much much better than this sad reality we live in.

Vampire Night IS a game developed by SEGA's WoW Entertainment and published by Namco for some reason.

Thats weird that Sega developed a Namco published light gun game. I'm curious as to why they enlisted Sega to do it?

As for the other part, outside of Skies of Arcadia, nothing was on the level of what they produced for the other consoles IMO. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, F-Zero GX, and Outrun 2 were top tier products. Super Monkeyball was fresh and super fun, and then there's Yakuza.

Most of the Dreamcast was B and C tier stuff. The other consoles saw Sega bring their A game.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's tough because there are some really great games on that second list, but I'm gonna go with the DC era. Mostly based on nostalgia and bonus points for so many rad new IP in such a short span.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I came in expected to say 'Dreamcast, obviously' but this is actually a lot closer than I expected it to be. Could go either way honestly.

A tie. Also, you're missing Billy Hatcher off of that third party list.

I will add it. A poster mentioned it yesterday too and I was gonna add it but fell asleep.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018

I was really just listing games that are playable in English (I mean even without knowing Japanese) and like OtakuCoder mentioned Sakura Wars on PS2 was the only one localised; first Sakura Wars to get localized if I remember correctly.

I didnt know that about Rumble Fish so I will remove it, thanks.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd take the three consoles. Super Monkey Ball 2, JSFR, Virtua Fighter 4, Orta, F-Zero GX....just a nutty run. Both are definitely the top two periods all-time for their first-party output though.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
Thats weird that Sega developed a Namco published light gun game. I'm curious as to why they enlisted Sega to do it?

As for the other part, outside of Skies of Arcadia, nothing was on the level of what they produced for the other consoles IMO. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, F-Zero GX, and Outrun 2 were top tier products. Super Monkeyball was fresh and super fun, and then there's Yakuza.

Most of the Dreamcast was B and C tier stuff. The other consoles saw Sega bring their A game.
well to each his own.
I consider Shenmue 1&2, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adv 1, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, PSO, Virtua Tennis, REZ, Space Channel-5 Prt.2, Samba De Amigo, NBA 2K1, The House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter 3tb to be high tier games.
out of which the Shenmue games & Skies of Arcadia are their best creations ever.
not to mention other games like Zombi Revenge, ChuChu Rockets, SEGA RALLY 2, Dynamite Cop, Virtual-On OT, Sonic Adv2, Cosmic Smash and so on.

on the other hand we have JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2, F-ZERO GX, Virtua Fighter 4/Evo, Shinobi, Yakuza 1,2 and Super Monkey Ball 1&2 are among their high tier games post-dreamcast.
other titles worth mentioning are Gun Valkyrie, The House of the Dead 3, Billy Hatcher, Blood Will Tell, Sakura Wars So Long my love, Vampire Night and Beach Spikers.

they are both great lists as I said but this is DC vs 3 systems after all + all of the high tier games mentioned above were all initially planned for DC with the exception of F-ZERO GX Project (which would otherwise end-up being a new racing game on DC or porting Daytona 2 over) and Yakuza series (which is my least favorite of the bunch)
the first two years after they lift the hardware business was basically an extension of what I call the "golden era" (1998-2003) of the Dreamcast days.
even some of the best games on the Saturn released during this period (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 and Burning Rangers)
not to mention the many games on the arcade that never saw the light on consoles like (Daytona 2, Planet Harrier, Spike Out) god damn it Nagoshi!
it is by far the peak days of SEGA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
well to each his own.
I consider Shenmue 1&2, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adv 1, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, PSO, Virtua Tennis, REZ, Space Channel-5 Prt.2, Samba De Amigo, NBA 2K1, The House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter 3tb to be high tier games.
out of which the Shenmue games & Skies of Arcadia are their best creations ever.
not to mention other games like Zombi Revenge, ChuChu Rockets, SEGA RALLY 2, Dynamite Cop, Virtual-On OT, Sonic Adv2, Cosmic Smash and so on.

on the other hand we have JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2, F-ZERO GX, Virtua Fighter 4/Evo, Shinobi, Yakuza 1,2 and Super Monkey Ball 1&2 are among their high tier games post-dreamcast.
other titles worth mentioning are Gun Valkyrie, The House of the Dead 3, Billy Hatcher, Blood Will Tell, Sakura Wars So Long my love, Vampire Night and Beach Spikers.

they are both great lists as I said but this is DC vs 3 systems after all + all of the high tier games mentioned above were all initially planned for DC with the exception of F-ZERO GX Project (which would otherwise end-up being a new racing game on DC or porting Daytona 2 over) and Yakuza series (which is my least favorite of the bunch)
the first two years after they lift the hardware business was basically an extension of what I call the "golden era" (1998-2003) of the Dreamcast days.
even some of the best games on the Saturn released during this period (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 and Burning Rangers)
not to mention the many games on the arcade that never saw the light on consoles like (Daytona 2, Planet Harrier, Spike Out) god damn it Nagoshi!
it is by far the peak days of SEGA.

Man, just the variety blows my mind. I can't think of another company that pumped out so many amazing games in so many different genres in such a short time. And it's not like they've been a slouch after 6th gen either. Also I wasn't sure if Gun Valkyrie was Sega or not so I'll add it.

Were you familiar with the Sega Ages series? A lot of them were flat out remakes and mostly good quality. There's like over 30 of em on PS2. I think I would be justified in adding them but I will leave them in the interest of fairness.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Dreamcast but Jet Set Radio Future and F-Zero GX outshine anything on Dreamcast by far.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, just the variety blows my mind. I can't think of another company that pumped out so many amazing games in so many different genres in such a short time.
They were like that in the previous three console generations, too. I think it stems from Sega having to mostly fend for themselves in the 8-bit era. They had to bring that variety because they didn't have many third-party publishers so they went strong on varied in-house development + contracting outside companies.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
They were like that in the previous three console generations, too. I think it stems from Sega having to mostly fend for themselves in the 8-bit era. They had to bring that variety because they didn't have many third-party publishers so they went strong on varied in-house development + contracting outside companies.

Yes i think you're right, we were all better for Sega's hardship in the end lol. An important point to add is how great their arcade exclusives library from the time is as well! Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, Scud Race, The Maze of The Kings, Rail Chase 2 etc. Not to mention all the arcade games they made later and i think continue to make.