• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
okay so what's the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year?

The Record Of The Year category recognizes the artist's performance as well as the overall contributions of the producer(s), recording engineer(s), and/or mixer(s), if other than the performing artist. The Song Of The Year category recognizes the songwriter(s) who wrote and composed the song.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
John Prine winning the lifetime achievement award was the best thing about tonight, and he didn't even talk. Shame.

Lizzo should have won record. But I'm glad Billie brought up Phineas several times.

Alicia Keys was really iffy.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wow Billie Eilish cleaned house taking home seemingly half the awards. Poor Lil Nas X though. He had the most successful song in the history of the Billboard charts and it didn't win song of the year. Ouch

Feb 1, 2018
The whole idea that Billie's popularity is manufactured and paid for by her parents or whatever falls apart when when you hear how fuckin good that whole album is

Your music can be "good" and you can still be a total industry plant, they're not mutually exclusive. Her rich parents hire the best creatives for each department to completely manufacture a sound and brand and aesthetic that's marketable and enjoyable

Oct 25, 2017
Your music can be "good" and you can still be a total industry plant, they're not mutually exclusive. Her rich parents hire the best creatives for each department to completely manufacture a sound and brand and aesthetic that's marketable and enjoyable
except if you watch her in interviews and shit she's 100% the real deal

industry plant shit is nonsense anyway

Feb 1, 2018
industry plant shit is nonsense anyway

It's really not but ok. You're allowed to be a fan of Billie lol nobody's stopping you. The music isn't bad or anything

But...there are only 5 people who worked on the music for the album?

5 people (and their employees, companies, etc) on the album, X people on the marketing for the album, Y people on the distribution, Z people on the visuals, and so on and so forth. Not to mention the literal army of stylists and shoppers that arrange all her weird tryhard 2014-era Tumblr outfits

This is isn't a difficult concept tbh. Her career was generated from insane hollywood nepotism and privilege, whether you want that to affect your perception and enjoyment of her content is up to you. There's no wrong answer imo just know where it's from and don't ever think she started from the bottom or struggled or ever was "indie" or earned her stripes doing it all DIY because she definitely didn't. It's all privilege.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's really not but ok. You're allowed to be a fan of Billie lol nobody's stopping you. The music isn't bad or anything

5 people (and their employees, companies, etc) on the album, X people on the marketing for the album, Y people on the distribution, Z people on the visuals, and so on and so forth. Not to mention the literal army of stylists and shoppers that arrange all her weird tryhard 2014-era Tumblr outfits

This is isn't a difficult concept tbh. Her career was generated from insane hollywood nepotism and privilege, whether you want that to affect your perception and enjoyment of her content is up to you. There's no wrong answer imo just know where it's from and don't ever think she started from the bottom or struggle because she definitely didn't. It's all privilege.
At least she writes her own songs, some people who've been in the industry for decades can't even claim that.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
If it's so easy, why don't they do it with 100 other artists and make billions?

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole idea that Billie's popularity is manufactured and paid for by her parents or whatever falls apart when when you hear how fuckin good that whole album is

Even more so when you consider that someone as rich as Justin Bieber was literally begging for fans to get him to number one and lost out to some viral no-name because his song was just straight up better.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It would be odd to conclude any of this from watching the actual artist and her brother at work.

But keep spreading cynical conspiracies I guess.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

This is isn't a difficult concept tbh. Her career was generated from insane hollywood nepotism and privilege, whether you want that to affect your perception and enjoyment of her content is up to you. There's no wrong answer imo just know where it's from and don't ever think she started from the bottom or struggled or ever was "indie" or earned her stripes doing it all DIY because she definitely didn't. It's all privilege.
This is a whole bunch of bullshit and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

Obviously a rich kid with rich parents is privileged and finds success easier, no one's denying that.

But you're just making up shit. "best creatives for each department to completely manufacture a sound" is pure gobbledygook. She's a songwriter and singer like any other. She had equipment in her room and her brother had equipment in his room and together they created the sound and made music.

There's plenty of documentation of how they just jammed and played and found her sound, organically.

The fantasy of executives pressing a button and hits coming out is.. just that, a fantasy. Labels scour for talents, fairly mercilessly, sure, but they have no secret sauce for success, especially when someone sounds as little like the rest of the Billboard as this.

The rockist boogeyman idea of everyone with some style being 'manufactured' any more than bearded dudes in a guitar band is badly outdated.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The funniest thing about this is the seemingly random year you picked to typify her fashion sense.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Her hype started on youtube you know that right?

i don't really agree with that poster, but "she got popular on youtube first" doesn't really contradict what they're saying, a good marketing/publicist team would absolutely use YouTube as a way to build a quote-unquote underground persona.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
THERE IS NO BILLY EILISH
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
Happy for her wins. She's talented and deserves recognition.

Can't say I'm surprised to see what this thread has devolved to. Any time Billie's name is brought up, it usually turns out like this.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Its always interesting how quick people are to bring up any advantages any women have had in their rise to success. Its very blatant, and fucking gross.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Lil Nas X deserved Record of the Year.

Igor by Tyler should have been nominated for (and won) album of the year.

Other than that, nothing too egregious this year

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Hostility; history of similar infractions
Woman does something great, insecure men immediately point to how fake she is and how much help she needed to get where she is. You're gross.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Woman does something great, insecure men immediately point to how fake she is and how much help she needed to get where she is. You're gross.

It is true especially for women but this idea of plants has long been a go-to for conspiracy nuts who just want to shit on artists they don't like or don't like the fact that they won some award.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Best New Artist was stacked. Good year for music, and it's fitting that Billie swept

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Eilish, and I really like the song Bad Guy, but the rest of the album I was meh on. Still, she seems like a decent person unless I've missed something, and I can respect her talent. Bad Guy is a bop.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It is true especially for women but this idea of plants has long been a go-to for conspiracy nuts who just want to shit on artists they don't like or don't like the fact that they won some award.
Please also consider the fact that she is a demonic puppet whose sole mission is to spread the influence of the Devil to the youth of the world, as I recently learned from some Youtube comments.

Check out this imaginary link to a video about the modern spiritual crisis for more important details.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if there is a link to the full nipsey tribute performance? Its frustratingly hard to find anything other than 30 second clips

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Wow Billie Eilish cleaned house taking home seemingly half the awards. Poor Lil Nas X though. He had the most successful song in the history of the Billboard charts and it didn't win song of the year. Ouch
This happens, what's popular is not always the best. He might win something like people's choice awards or more popularity based ones.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
If you think that Billie album was the best thing released last year.. listen to more music. It's more and more of a popularity contest every year. Lil Nas EP as AOTY? Lana winning nothing when her influence can be found in the DNA of so many artists ( including Billie) ? Come on, they want the ratings and want to be sure they aren't being accused of being out of touch anymore ( Ex/ idk how many people remember how folks lost their minds when Steely Dan won in 2001)

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife told me this morning that "Trevor the performer" was super weird and I nearly busted a rib laughing.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time in 20 years I actually kind of dig something that won a Grammy. (that I'm aware of anyway)

Billie Eilish is alright with me.