• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What games won't end up being 60fps on the Xbox Series X?

If a game is going to be 900-1080p / 30fps on the (still unannounced) Xbox Series S it seems likely it would be 1440p+ and 60fps on the Xbox Series X.

Jomatto

Oct 25, 2017
For all those expecting more 60fps games next gen, did y'all forget about raytracing? There's your FPS killer right there (and it'll be worth it).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
We're not getting 60fps standard on any console and anyone who thinks that is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If a game is going to be 900-1080p / 30fps on the (still unannounced) Xbox Series S it seems likely it would be 1440p+ and 60fps on the Xbox Series X.
I would say like every gen, most games.

And almost certainly any game that really wants to push the limited capacity of the first gen ray tracing solutions on the consoles(which I suspect will be most big budget titles). Especially as 2nd and 3rd gen Nvidia cards are seemingly going to leapfrog where the current tech is at and developers will want to push the limits....Basically the same thing that happens every cycle.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
Yikes at some of the comments in here. Some of you need to grow the fuck up and step outside a bit.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
lmfao surely he is mixing it up with hz or something. No way in hell 60fps is gonna be the standard.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
It will be up to the developers. The same as it has been every generation. And those that are going for the eyecandy will most likely go with 30fps just like they always have.

Those that think that 60fps is going to be some kind of new baseline are setting themselves up for a massive dissapointment.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I don't understand why there is so much confusion about this. 60fps is the target framerate, which means it's the standard. That doesn't mean it's the MANDATED MINIMUM. These are totally different words. Greenberg is not telling you that every game will be 60fps. He's saying that's the standard they expect most games will choose to hit. Why is this hard to understand o.o?

People are talking like they didn't already announce Dirt 5 will be 120 fps yesterday... wtf...?
I also get it this way.
Even before the official XSX specs reveal, all rumor pointed to the "4K/60" new baseline target, up to 120fps. (e.g. Windows Central) and then was confirmed many times also after.

No one is using the word "enforced" or similar.
All of this means the standard will be 4K/60, so most games we'll see will be 4K/60.

And that's also what Greenberg directly answered to a question repeated to 30fps vs 60fps games on consoles and Quality/Performance modes.

That said some 30fps games will still exist when developers will prefer so, same for 120fps games. But both should be a minority.

It's not so hard both to understand nor to believe, especially considering how big the jump fromm current gen will be, even from Xbox One X (which already achied 4K/60 in many games, even AAA tier)

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Even though that has never happened in like 30 years?

The best we'll get is unlocked framerates with variable refresh rate support.
There has been a shift happening in the industry, and it already started on current gen consoles. We have far more 60fps games on current consoles then we did on the 360/PS3.

There are several reasons for this. One is that it costs more and more money to try and make your games prettier and prettier, and more and more consumers are becoming aware of frame rate.

Introduce new consoles that remove the CPU bottleneck and you're going to see that trend accelerate.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
every single generation.

people should learn that graphic sell. fps dont.
This.

30fps is a conscious business decision, not a technical limitation. Every single game released this gen could have been 60fps if the developers decided to prioritize it, but 30fps makes for prettier screenshots.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Most games, probably.

Eventually next gen consoles are going to play games that weren't originally targeting the mid-range 2012 specs of PS4/XB1 and even all of those games won't have 60fps options as we see with AC:V.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I also get it this way.
Even before the official XSX specs reveal, all rumor pointed to the "4K/60" new baseline target, up to 120fps. (e.g. Windows Central) and then was confirmed many times also after.

No one is using the word "enforced" or similar.
All of this means the standard will be 4K/60, so most games we'll see will be 4K/60.

And that's also what Greenberg directly answered to a question repeated to 30fps vs 60fps games on consoles and Quality/Performance modes.

That said some 30fps games will still exist when developers will prefer so, same for 120fps games. But both should be a minority.

It's not so hard both to understand nor to believe, especially considering how big the jump fromm current gen will be, even from Xbox One X (which already achied 4K/60 in many games, even AAA tier)

That's all well and good but that's not what the word 'standard' means. The word 'target' would have been a much much better choice.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread when others try to explain to them what Greenberg really meant:

200.gif

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man some of you guys are so fucking naive or hopeless. It 100% doesn't matter how much power is available to any dev on the planet: They will find ways to push enough eyecandy on screen to bring the framerate down to 30.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol why is this guy still allowed to post on social media. What an idiot, can't even understand a simple question.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I would say like every gen, most games.

And almost certainly any game that really wants to push the limited capacity of the first gen ray tracing solutions on the consoles(which I suspect will be most big budget titles). Especially as 2nd and 3rd gen Nvidia cards are seemingly going to leapfrog where the current tech is at and developers will want to push the limits.

I can see PS5 exclusives targeting 30fps, but Xbox seem to be making a commitment to a breadth of hardware.

Developers will have to support the 'Xbox Series S', the heavily rumoured 4tflops console, and developers will also support a range of PC hardware.

I think ray-tracing will be that 30fps option on Xbox Series X, but if developers are making 30fps games for the Xbox Series S I would expect pretty much every title to have a 60fps 'performance mode' on the Series X.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Compromises happen on PC too, depending on your hardware and the game. Graphical settings are sometimes tweaked to get 60fps.

On consoles, if devs want to push for higher fidelity, they'll choose 30fps. If they want to push for better fluidity, they'll choose 60+fps.

Nov 2, 2017

A 900-1080p 30fps XSS game will not hit 1440p60fps on the XSX. That's just simple math as the XSX is not 4x more powerful than what the rumours put the XSS at.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I certainly hope they push for this. A 60FPS performance mode would be ideal, and the eye candy crowd can still have their 30FPS.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
People expecting 60fps on consoles have either forgotten every other generation (AAA devs will always choose graphical fidelity over performance. ALWAYS) or have yet to be introduced to Ray Tracing. With that, we'll be LUCKY to get even 30fps

(I'm sure glad that I have a monster PC that outputs every game at 165fps :D )

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
lol...every damn gen.

"B-but these new consoles are so much more powerful! 60fps is practically guaranteed now!!"

And, as always, quite a few games will end up struggling to even maintain 30.

Because, as always, there's far more pressure, from nearly every angle, for games to look good than run well.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Interesting. I certainly hope they push for this. A 60FPS performance mode would be ideal, and the eye candy crowd can still have their 30FPS.
Some 4K/60 games on X1X are not even having this choice, and still are AAA titles as Halo 5 and Gears 5.

This was possible thanks to Dynamic Resolution on both (and still hitting native 4K most of the time).

On top of Dynamic Resolution, XSX will additionally have Variable Refresh Rate, DirectML resolution "on par to native" reconstruction, and the Velocity Architecture new techniques to improve performance maintaining high fidelity.

Plus a CPU and SSD that completely crush current gen limits, and double the GPU (sustained) performance of Xbox One X.

I think people are just underestimating how easier will be achieving 4K/60 while still delivering true next gen games on these new hardware and software proposal...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
A 900-1080p 30fps XSS game will not hit 1440p60fps on the XSX. That's just simple math as the XSX is not 4x more powerful than what the rumours put the XSS at.

Hmm, 900p/30fps -> 1440p/60fps or 4K/30fps feels about right to me, but I haven't done the math on it.

I am thinking in terms of dynamic resolutions, and the Xbox Series S version being capped for a stable 30fps.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes at some of the comments in here. Some of you need to grow the fuck up and step outside a bit.

But you're always in the next gen threads throwing down and correcting people, I would've thought a 60Hz/60 fps mix-up would be right up your street.

No problem. Might as well at least try to have some fun in this chaotic thread.

lol, I'm pretty sure he was one of the 'it's just the flu/media exaggeration ' people, which made your comment even funnier.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
There has been a shift happening in the industry, and it already started on current gen consoles. We have far more 60fps games on current consoles then we did on the 360/PS3.

There are several reasons for this. One is that it costs more and more money to try and make your games prettier and prettier, and more and more consumers are becoming aware of frame rate.

Introduce new consoles that remove the CPU bottleneck and you're going to see that trend accelerate.
I think the shift mostly pertained to multiplayer shooters. And then there's still a difference between almost always 60, mostly 60 and sometimes 60.

Plus, with VRR support it doesn't make as much sense to make design sacrifices to keep a locked frame rate.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Nothing has changed from last gen. There was a lot of 60fps games last gen. It was completely doable on almost every gen so far. It's down to the devs, and depending on the game most will go with 30fps

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
He likely means 60 hz, as in the signal output, given that's the standard most TVs support. Not 60 fps games as a standard.

Oct 27, 2017
Man some of you guys are so fucking naive or hopeless. It 100% doesn't matter how much power is available to any dev on the planet: They will find ways to push enough eyecandy on screen to bring the framerate down to 30.
This. Come on guys. It's the same damn thing every generation. And like others have pointed out, raytracing is going to kill those frames per second. We'll see if devs try to save resources by using AI-based upres'ing along with a hybrid lighting approach to push out a lot of frames.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Hones question, what does "up to 120fps" means? Is there a limitation in the consoles that wont allow certain fps output? Couldnt even an older console like the PS2 technically push 120fps as well?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
some of the more basic looking games will reach 120fps just like this gen. More games will reach 60fps than this gen, while other games will have 30fps targets if they want more visual settings in their games and value it more than fps. 4K Support and RT will do that to games

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
It's literally 2013 all over again. The man hasn't changed in seven years.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised there's an effort to defend or justify his statement, but you'd think there would be a point folks would say "OK, Aaron, that's enough", particularly for a hypeman who pushed virtually the same nonsense last generation. Apparently not, as folks are willing to deliberately suspend their critical reading skills so as to give the tweet a more favorable interpretation.

Last edited: