• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
30fps cutscenes after 60+ gameplay is so awkward and hard to watch to me. It feels like the game is broken or something. Dragon Age Inquisition did this before a patch or mod fixed it. To each their own but let me keep that stuff unlocked.
When you play an older game on pc and the pre rendered cutscenes are lower res and fps.

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV's 60fps cutscenes look fantastic.

Gears 5 on PC also lets you uncap the cutscene framerate.

More 60fps cutscenes please.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh....

I know majority are console player, but we really didn't need regressive thinking like this....

Your eyesight already see the world beyond hundreds frame per second depends on individual.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I do dislike about cutscene framerate is when the effects are turned to 11 and the framerate just can't hold, which happens quite a bit in 60fps games. So I do appreciate them at least giving the option to cap cutscene framerate, like in Gears 5.

Fluctuating framerates during dramatic moments is distracting as hell, but I'm not about to cap the whole game at 30 just because of cutscenes either. So I'll just deal with it if it's not an option.

Oct 30, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 cut scenes looked awful at 60fps. Like you said, the soap opera effect. It cheapens the scenes, at least in RDR.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
60fps cutscenes look amazing. MGSV and TLOU on PS4 were absolutely stunning

Also we need 60fps action movies at the very least, I'm getting tired of 24fps for fast scenes

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and I mean in 60fps the cutscenes look so sharp and angular
Gotta lock it down to 22fps for that real organic cinematic look

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
This very reason is why I lock The Witcher 3 to 30fps.

It looks so weird otherwise.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
95% of the time people complain about the soap opera effect in 'high framerate' situations, it is actually motion interpolation. This is usually an issue with TV settings or the actual content being interpolated (which seems more rare) by the designer. The former can be turned off in TV settings. The latter you can't really do much about.

High frame rates themselves shouldn't induce the soap opera effect if it was designed that way.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Going from smooth 60+fps gameplay to jerky 30FPS cutscenes is grotesque. In games that's the only time I notice anything untowards about cutscenes motion-wise.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Controversial gaming opinion:
30FPS cutscenes are more "filmic"
I prefer 30FPS for cutscenes specifically.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
You can like what you like or dislike what you dislike....i just want to experience it so i can have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

If you told me duck eggs are better than chicken eggs, id ask where did you buy duck eggs....go buy said duck eggs and try them out. (receipts given)

As I havent experienced this effect you are speaking of....I want to experience it, so name the games that have given you this effect, i dont need screenshots or videos....ill just give the game a go myself.

So yes I do need to see dem receipts .
Well I, am not saying it's better.
I was agreeing on the how I also don't like it, not the "it is terrible" which would look like a "fact".

And since you seem to like it, it means you already have examples, so I don't you would ask for any.

Maybe one is better, that's another topic and I don't know the answer.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Damn, movie studios being cheap bastards did so much damage. Now we have generations of people who think 24 fps is some kind of mysterious movie magic and everything above that looks "wrong".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The reason films look bad at 60fps+ is that they look staged because everything is too real. Cutscenes in game don't have that downside because they're not realistic, they're not actual people and real world environments. They look far, far better at 60fps.

Damn, movie studios being cheap bastards did so much damage. Now we have generations of people who think 24 fps is some kind of mysterious movie magic and everything above that looks "wrong".
High frame rate film does loose something though, it looks like it's being performed on a stage, effects stand out more, costumes look more like cosplay, everything feels a little too real, like a documentary.

This isn't just people not being able to let go of an outdated standard, there's a quality that is lost at higher reams as much as there are other qualities gained.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Like, it's simply terrible. It gives that soap opera effect, no matter the game, it just feels fake. Worst, sometimes the animations feel like they're accelerated. This is pretty noticiable in the last of us remastered, uncharted trilogy remastered and kingdom hearts remastered cutscenes not capped at 30fps.
I'm all for 60fps+ gameplay, but please, devs, keep the cutscenes at 30fps.
will have to agree to disagree op haha if its ingame and the game has been running at 60 I prefer the in engine cut scenes to do the same, its a bit jarring when it switches back and forth on pc with a 60fps+ monitor sometimes

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, it's simply terrible. It gives that soap opera effect, no matter the game, it just feels fake. Worst, sometimes the animations feel like they're accelerated. This is pretty noticiable in the last of us remastered, uncharted trilogy remastered and kingdom hearts remastered cutscenes not capped at 30fps.
I'm all for 60fps+ gameplay, but please, devs, keep the cutscenes at 30fps.

Completely agree 60fps video looks terrible. Hell I even find it distracting in game looking at animations sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
Has Pixar ever put out a 60fps version of one of their movies? I'd be interested in watching a piece of cinema I'm familiar with, at a higher framerate.

Interpolation is never the right answer.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, and in reality, it just looks more lifelike when the fps is higher. People are so used to low fps that it an improvement actually looks wrong to them.
If something looks off when there are more frames, blame the animations themselves, not the frame rate they play at.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never got this. 60fps min for everything IMO. The hard switch between 30 and 60 to me makes my eyes go buggy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and in reality, it just looks more lifelike when the fps is higher. People are so used to low fps that it an improvement actually looks wrong to them.
If something looks off when there are more frames, blame the animations themselves, not the frame rate they play at.
It's different in films and games though.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. 30 FPS cutscenes look normal but 60 FPS look strange and weirdly smooth in a bad way. 30 FPS seems better so long as their is no stutter

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
High frame rate film does loose something though, it looks like it's being performed on a stage, effects stand out more, costumes look more like cosplay, everything feels a little too real, like a documentary.

This isn't just people not being able to let go of an outdated standard, there's a quality that is lost at higher reams as much as there are other qualities gained.

This is a fair point, degrading your video quality on purpose for artistic reasons is totally fine, like shooting a movie in b/w or with altered colors or dirt/scratch effects. However, I think part of the problems of high framerate are merely technical, effects look bad because we need better effects, better sets, better costumes, etc.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Has Pixar ever put out a 60fps version of one of their movies? I'd be interested in watching a piece of cinema I'm familiar with, at a higher framerate.

Interpolation is never the right answer.

No.
I think the only HFR features movies releases on disc are the 2 Ang Lee movies - Billy Lyn's Long Halftime Walk which was 60fps for it's home release (but 120FPS for theatres)

And Gemini Man, which is the same.

Famously they actually made the 2nd and 3rd movie in the Hobbit Trilogy (which was 48fps) "softer"

Gemini man is a really interesting example of the challenges that Hollywood faces, the HFR is actually not as jarring as the Hobbit movies were, but the quality of the CG occasionally falls below the threshold of acceptability, something that perhaps might not show itself at 24fps. There are are a couple of shots that look like Will Smith is in Uncharted 3

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the 24fps "magic" was referring to how every motion is a little bit slower than real life which gives it a different look than what we see in reality.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Live action and maybe CGI, you could see this more often, but... 2D Animation? Probably not. Just isn't feasible.
It's not like you need to draw every single frame of animation (it's not economically feasible even with 24fps), for example most japanese animation are a mix between 24, 12 and 8fps.
60fps would be used for camera movement mostly, which would be a visible improvement to the current stuttering panning.

It's not like they can open Renderman and just set the output to 60fps, they would need to adjust, at least, all the motion blur of the movie and check if all the movements looks good at 60fps.
Otherwise it would be just like TVs motion interpolation (well, motion blur could probably be automatically adjusted based on the output fps, I'm not sure it would look good without manual correction though), which looks awful.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Dropping from 60fps gameplay to 30fps cutscenes is pretty jarring to me. The drop is immediately noticeable.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like you need to draw every single frame of animation (it's not economically feasible even with 24fps), for example most japanese animation are a mix between 24, 12 and 8fps.
60fps would be used for camera movement mostly, which would be a visible improvement to the current stuttering panning.

Oh lord, ,no. It'll create an effect very similar to what we see with games that have motion capture at 30, but everything else is significantly higher frame rate. You can already see this on some 30i anime and it looks distracting/awkward sometimes. Normally frame rate judder and stuff doesn't bother me, but there are times where the camera movement being much higher than the actual animation frame rate makes it extremely nauseating to me. That's NOT a good idea, especially given a lot of animation, notably Japanese animation, are animated with less frames.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What if I told you that I prefer this effect in movies and games. I enjoy it and welcome it. In live action films, this soap opera effect makes me feel like I am there as it was getting filmed, as if it was happening. Not that it looks fake.

Just my opinion though. I have the HF mode on Smooth on my oled tv for films.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Final Fantasy XV had 24fps cutscenes (aka clips ripped straight out of the movie) and they looked so disjointed and awful.

Cutscenes should look like gameplay. Which means 60fps.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well I, am not saying it's better.
I was agreeing on the how I also don't like it, not the "it is terrible" which would look like a "fact".

And since you seem to like it, it means you already have examples, so I don't you would ask for any.

Maybe one is better, that's another topic and I don't know the answer.

30fps scenes interpolated to 60fps (what occurs in The Last of Remaster, and on TVs that have Smooth Motion mode), is bad nobody is denying that.....thats the only place that I see a logical reason someone would say the cutscenes should 30 because 60 looks bad.

Now you agree with the OP.
Which means there is atleast a few 60+fps games you have played that when the cutscenes roll out at 60+fps you didnt like the experience.
So now I would like to know what these games are so I can test them in case its the games that are borked....maybe you are blanket agreeing to something that only affects 1 game.

Also note that this whole quote chain started from this post v

Very true.

I can't stand to watch 60fps scenes, shows...
It looks so wrong.

So since it looks so wrong, i wanted to see which games you had played that had bad 60+fps cutscenes.
People just post but have nothing to back up what they are saying....even if its your own opinion....you formed your opinion on something....I want to see that something, maybe we are on the same side.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
What if I told you that I prefer this effect in movies and games. I enjoy it and welcome it. In live action films, this soap opera effect makes me feel like I am there as it was getting filmed, as if it was happening. Not that it looks fake.

Just my opinion though. I have the HF mode on Smooth on my oled tv for films.

The soap opera effect is amazing in nature documentaries. But for movies with stage makeup? 🤢

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The soap opera effect is amazing in nature documentaries. But for movies with stage makeup? 🤢
I saw 2 of the 3 Hobbit films in theaters with the HFR mode, and the first thing I said .. "oh this just looks like everything on a tv that is 120hz, with smoothing".

Another example, in Star Wars when ships fly, I just like to have it feel super smooth with no judder. But also smooth enough to not have artifacts. Of course I prefer no artifacts

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Oh lord, ,no. It'll create an effect very similar to what we see with games that have motion capture at 30, but everything else is significantly higher frame rate. You can already see this on some 30i anime and it looks distracting/awkward sometimes. Normally frame rate judder and stuff doesn't bother me, but there are times where the camera movement being much higher than the actual animation frame rate makes it extremely nauseating to me. That's NOT a good idea, especially given a lot of animation, notably Japanese animation, are animated with less frames.
Why would it look awkward?
Anime already mixes 8fps animation,12 fps animation, 24 fps animation with 60 fps CG (in the 00s some CG parts were done at 60i, if I remember correctly Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is one of those cases).
It also mixes 24fps panning with limited animation character movement.
I'm not saying it can look bad, but it's not an inherent problem of the medium, it's the way the directors work with the technology, if they're good I'm pretty sure they can get fluid panning and the usual character animation, if they're bad... they can already do disasters, I've seen my fair share of 24fps panning coupled with 12fps CGI (it stutters like crazy as you can imagine).

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It's just because console gamers are used to play at 30 fps.. every game should be 60+ in gameplay and cutscenes in the future ( I hope ).

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
60fps are always noticeably better than 30fps, doesn't matter where in the game, or genre. Gameplay, cutscenes, first person shooter, walking simulator etc.