• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm never a "30fps more cinematic" kind of person at all and I'd always take more frames every day, but I do kind of understand what OP is referring to. 60fps cutscenes when you've been playing a lot of 30 games do look very odd at first. You get used to it pretty quickly though.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

I noticed watching Maximilians MK11 videos and he's playing it on PC, the character intros look super weird at 60fps kinda sped up.

Oct 25, 2017

It gets like 10 times better when the higher fps kicks in. We need not only more 60fps+ in-game cutscenes, but more 60fps+ pre rendered cinematics too.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Lol wtf is this opinion. Never ever thought 60fps gives cutscenes the soap opera look. Even 144 looks perfectly awesome.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Nope, it is not, and higher refresh rate is even better.

But what is terrible about cutscenes is 30 fps. :p

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I find it fascinating how people perceive the soap opera/cinematic thing in video content.
Because strangely what we are saying is that blurrier/less detail and more jerky is more "cinematic" and therefore somehow of better quality.
It's even stranger when we draw a line between gameplay and cutscenes having entirely different expectations.
These are entirely learned cognitive association.

And that's not to make a jab at anybody who feels this way, we almost all do, due to our lifetime of training for content types.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Watching movies or by extension game cinematics in 60FPS feels weird. 30FPS feels better.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Maybe we should all try to like soap operas.

I have always wondered why more young directors don't try to experiment with releasing high frame rate movies. I know there have been a few examples, but not nearly enough.

But yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about, I remember switching TLoU remastered from 60 to 30 during a cutscene and it was like my eyes were bleeding.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Played Virginia last night. When switching to a high refresh rate i got a warning that the game was intended to play in 30 FPS by the devs. So tried it out @30FPS and wasnt really impressed since movement looked choppy and the motion blur effect implementation was rather bad. Switched to 60 FPS and everything felt and looked better. Even cutscenes looked far superior on a higher refresh rate.

All in all higher is better.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The Last of Us Remastered cutscenes aren't bad at all, I assume they were rerendered at 60 FPS. I'm hoping Naughty Dog further future proofed The Last of Us Part II's cutscenes for the inevitable 60 FPS PS5 release.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
imagine being poisoned by 24 and 30 fps for so long that thinking that something closer to reality has a weird effect and feels fake.

Poisoned is a bit much lol...I'm all for higher frame rate both in film and games but 24 will still hold a special place for the cinephile in me. As for games the higher the better, but cutscenes need parity with gameplay for fps it's too jarring otherwise.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I disagree, I prefer 60 fps cutscenes. It actually annoys me when gameplay is 60+ and cutscenes are 30.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Very true.

I can't stand to watch 60fps scenes, shows...
It looks so wrong.

What 60fps games have you played that had inengine cutscenes at 60fps.

And im not talking about interpolated cutscenes like the ND remasters....actual 60fps games.

Name them. I wanna try them out so i can get a sense of what you people are saying.
source.gif

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I disagree with that. The game should have the same FPS for everything, if not then it gets shitty.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Absolutely not. Framerate should be the same for gameplay and cutscenes.
Why would I want everything to look aritificially choppy during that specific parts of a game?

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018

My reaction as well.

You are wrong.

We have to end this "it looks cheap like a soap opera" thing. You know what looks cheap? Still making movies in 24fps because that was the standard more than 100 years ago, because it was the best price/quality ratio, because film was expensive.

Today you just have to have a bigger hard drive and that's it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
You listed games with pre rendered cutscenes that needed to be interpolated to 60 & KH, a game that needed basically a hack to run at 60fps as it was designed for 30fps. the average game doesn't have this issue at 60fps.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
30 fps is terrible, for gameplay, cutscenes and even movies. Everything needs to be 120 or more.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that most of the cutscenes and animations in general for kingdom hearts 2 were animated at 60fps, or at least they are when you use PCSX2 hacks. I've only every played through the prologue in the emulator, but I don't remember anything looking off (other than the 30fps vfx/alpha effects). I heard that for whatever reason they locked them down for the remasters (haven't played), but googling it some higher fps cut-scenes slipped through anyway. There's no interpolation, that's how they were actually made!

Important early game stuff here, this wasn't an accident. Cheat codes just reveal what was always there. Shame about the vfx not being authored to the same standard until Birth By Sleep.

Last edited:

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I personally never agreed with the "24 fps only" cinematic approach when it comes to anything animated in 3d. In fact, for me, video game cutscenses have shown how good 60+ fps footage can look for animated content. Whether or not it is actual gameplay or a cinematic.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
I'd prefer cutscenes to be banned along with the lootboxes. Exemption: choice based dialogue games.
So much better when dialogue is presented in game.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Awful opinion. 60fps gameplay which transitions in to 30fps cutscenes will never not be jarring and immersion-killing.

Nov 14, 2017
Honestly, I don't get the hate for HFR film. It looks a little weird at first, but after a while you really start to appreciate the greater temporal resolution.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
What 60fps games have you played that had inengine cutscenes at 60fps.

And im not talking about interpolated cutscenes like the ND remasters....actual 60fps games.

Name them. I wanna try them out so i can get a sense of what you people are saying.
Because I'm not allowed to ?
If you don't understand it no matter what, that's just not something you can feel, so no point in trying to show examples.

And it's fine, there are a few things people like or dislike and I can't understand why even after any number of explanations.

If someone tells you " I don't like eggs" are you going to ask for receipts ?
Do I need proof that I really don't like something ?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Because I'm not allowed to ?
If you don't understand it no matter what, that's just not something you can feel, so no point in trying to show examples.

And it's fine, there are a few things people like or dislike and I can't understand why even after any number of explanations.

If someone tells you " I don't like eggs" are you going to ask for receipts ?
Do I need proof that I really don't like something ?

You can like what you like or dislike what you dislike....i just want to experience it so i can have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

If you told me duck eggs are better than chicken eggs, id ask where did you buy duck eggs....go buy said duck eggs and try them out. (receipts given)

As I havent experienced this effect you are speaking of....I want to experience it, so name the games that have given you this effect, i dont need screenshots or videos....ill just give the game a go myself.

So yes I do need to see dem receipts .
source.gif

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't get the hate for HFR film. It looks a little weird at first, but after a while you really start to appreciate the greater temporal resolution.
It's a result of years and years of Stockholm syndrome with everyone watching 24-30 fps movies because this was what tech was capable of back in mid-1900s.
Now it's hard for some people to let go of that forced habit and see that higher temporal resolution is actually better, always, not worse.
It'll come away eventually, with tech progressing to a point where showing anything in less than 60 or even 120 fps will make no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't mind when games switch to 30fps for cinematics, I'm currently playing KH III and it doesn't bother me at all.

But I also never for a second thought "wow, thank god these cutscenes are 30fps, it looks so much better!". What does make a difference is the wonderful per object motion blur kicking in, but it would look either just as good or better at 60fps, given they adjust the shutter speed accordingly.

Real time cinematics with proper motion blur and good direction/camera work will always look even better when the refresh rate matches the gameplay, in my opinion.

I do agree with people who said that more temporal resolution means flaws can be more apparent, but wonderful animations can also be highlighted even more. In this case, shouldn't the issue be shit tier animations and wonky camera work, instead of the temporal resolution making it more evident? Ideally, we'd want our games to have better animation and cutscene direction, not to get better at hiding how shit they are.

Or at least that's how I feel as someone who thinks that animation quality is the most important aspect in making a game look good. "The game is beautiful but the animations are bad" is something I can't say about many games at all. Poor animation work almost always ruins a game's graphics to me.